Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

I am in the process of breeding Diggersby. Can anyone tell me whether Adamant or Jolly is generally better for LO Attacker / SD sets? I noticed in the usage stats that most people use Jolly, but was wondering if there are any important OHKO's, 2HKOS, etc that might warrant an Adamant nature. Thanks in advance.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am in the process of breeding Diggersby. Can anyone tell me whether Adamant or Jolly is generally better for LO Attacker / SD sets? I noticed in the usage stats that most people use Jolly, but was wondering if there are any important OHKO's, 2HKOS, etc that might warrant an Adamant nature. Thanks in advance.
Its entirely dependent on tne nature of the team it is being used on. I personally have a preference towards adamant on it because I much prefer the increased wallbreaking capability, but on teams which have difficulty with Bisharp I tend to go Jolly so that I can play mindgames with Quick Attack and EQ against its Sucker Punch/KOff. At the end of the day, how much you value the extra 10% in power or speed should be what determines the ideal nature.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful, but I hope I've made the decision a little easier.

As gamer boy said, jolly is nice for the bisharp mind games.

And a wall of calcs to show the difference

Vs. Hippopowdon
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 355-419 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 391-461 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Vs. Kyurem-B
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 285-335 (72.8 - 85.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 285-335 (72.8 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 312-368 (79.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Mega sableye
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 169-200 (55.5 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 153-183 (50.3 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Ferrothorn
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 185-218 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 168-199 (47.7 - 56.5%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs. Mega slowbro
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 239-282 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 263-309 (66.7 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Skarmory
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 160-187 (47.9 - 55.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Skarmory: 144-170 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd prefer adamant if you're using it as wallbreaker mostly because of the 2HKO against physical defensive skarmory.

Main differences between Hyper-Offense and Bulky-Offense? Also, some magas that fit well in Bulky Offense?
On a true hyper offesive team, sacrificing a member when he's done his job is no problem. in general, the teams consist of a large number of glass cannons and set up sweepers, designed to pummel your opponent into submission. in bulky offense, the pokemon are designed to be able to switch out from unfavorable matchups rather than just get eliminated so the next mon can come in freely. it's still an aggressive style, but less so. For bulky offense, m-metagross, m-alt, and M-gyarados come to mind.

p2

Banned deucer.
hyper offense is generally balls to the wall offense where the entire team is geared towards generating a ton of offense pressure (ie a suicide lead and 3/4 breakers and 1/2 sweepers). though i think real ho doesnt exist anymore solely because of dumb shit like lopunny running around which literally cuts through these teams like a hot knife through butter. the rmt i made is a nice example of that (you can call it bulky offense but im not gonna argue over something subjective like that), but you can find a billion more examples going around.

bulky offense is generally the same thing except it usually has fat mons or more utility mons on it over the suicide lead and a breaker. bo teams are usually associated with offensive balance. i think this team by hugo is a great example of bulky offense because it incorporates stuff like heatran/clef/slowbro as a nice balance core while terrak/chomp/thundy make up the main breakers/sweepers.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Scald

as for megas, you can probably use literally anything because bulky offense has a lot of variety in terms of building.

Last edited:
I have been soft resetting for a good Tornadus T and I have just managed to get one with IVs of 31/31/8/31/28/30. The set I'm planning to use is:
Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Level: 50
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off / Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Superpower

My question is, should I keep this Tornadus, considering that it just misses out on having perfect speed? What it means is that instead of being guaranteed to out speed base 120 speed pokemon, I can at best only speed tie with them. The 120 base speed pokemon are:
Dugtrio
Alakazam
Sceptile
Mega Salamence
Arceus (Not relevant to me)

What do you think, are these pokemon worth out speeding or can I get away with the imperfect speed? Also, with a defense stat this low I'd imagine Tornadus would be very prone to priority KOs, so if that's important enough to start soft resetting again please say so, though I'm not planning to stay in on predicted priority if I can help it.

I have been soft resetting for a good Tornadus T and I have just managed to get one with IVs of 31/31/8/31/28/30. The set I'm planning to use is:
Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Level: 50
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off / Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Superpower

My question is, should I keep this Tornadus, considering that it just misses out on having perfect speed? What it means is that instead of being guaranteed to out speed base 120 speed pokemon, I can at best only speed tie with them. The 120 base speed pokemon are:
Dugtrio
Alakazam
Sceptile
Mega Salamence
Arceus (Not relevant to me)

What do you think, are these pokemon worth out speeding or can I get away with the imperfect speed? Also, with a defense stat this low I'd imagine Tornadus would be very prone to priority KOs, so if that's important enough to start soft resetting again please say so, though I'm not planning to stay in on predicted priority if I can help it.
Hey, welcome to Smogon! I'm not sure you're in the right place to ask that question. I think that there's a link to the Orange Island section in the thread description. As for your question, I'm not entirely sure. I don't think that torn- t can outspend those mons unless they don't run speed Evees.

Can somebody tell me what playstyle the following megas fit best on: pinsir,houndoom,sceptile, zard y
M-pinsir, houndoom, and sceptile can only really be used effectively on offense, as none of them have the longevity required of a pokemon on bulkier teams, and are generally just hit-or-miss pokemon. Zard y can afford to be used on bulky offense, and perhaps balance if the hazard control is sufficient, but it's more suited to offensive teams.

p2

Banned deucer.
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Zen Headbutt

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It is usually used as a late game 'mon to clean up v.s. offense, so it should work fine off of full TR teams. OTR mons are often just sole abusers anyway.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's the best bulky spread for CM raikou?
112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe is what I usually run on SubCM Raikou, it guarantees a sub on Heatran's Lava Plume at +1 and also helps vs Venu at +2. If you're running Volt Switch over Substitute, don't bother with a bulky spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)