Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serebii says Chimchar's HA is unavailable, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Can you get an Iron Fist Chimchar, and if so, how?

Is flash not banned under the evasion clause, as it lowers the opponent's accuracy rather than raising the user's evasion, or was this just an oversight in the coding for the showdown pokebank ladder? I ask this because I almost lost to a baton passing team using a flash ninjask.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Serebii says Chimchar's HA is unavailable, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Can you get an Iron Fist Chimchar, and if so, how?
It's been given away in a couple of events in gen 5.
Is flash not banned under the evasion clause, as it lowers the opponent's accuracy rather than raising the user's evasion, or was this just an oversight in the coding for the showdown pokebank ladder? I ask this because I almost lost to a baton passing team using a flash ninjask.
Moves such as Flash and Sand Attack are not banned.

The best Latias set right now is without a question its offensive Defog set. It just runs 252 SpA/252 Spe Timid, with Draco Meteor/Defog/Healing With/Psyshock or Surf. A lot of people question why you don't just use Latios, as it has a noticeably higher Special Attack, but offensive teams appreciate pivots that can tank special attacks pretty easily, which Latias can do much better than Latios. Another things that Latias has over Latios is Healing Wish, which is fantastic for offensive teams, allowing them to play recklessly early on in the match with a sweeper and then fully recover it towards the end of the battle in order to clean up. My favorite partner for it is Choice Band Talonflame, which can spam Brave Bird early on in the match to weaken its checks and then clean up at the end of the match.
Grrr, 4th gen Latias... I can only transfer right now from 5th gen. In light of that, would a set of Timid 252 SpA/252 Spe with DM/HW/Psyshock and Recover in place of Defog be ok? Especially if I have a RSer/Defogger on something else.

And I guess Timid is the best nature to run a potential number of different sets?

Can you please quote me when answering?

I need some special attacker, since I have aegislash, talonflame and Garchomp, who is also a water mon.

I ruled Azumarill out, cause it's physical as well, which is better, Greninja or Rotom-W?

When you're scrolling through the list of http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/ how do you make quick estimates on bulk? Can you look at something with, say, 80/80/80 defenses and quickly know how it compares with something that has, say, 60/100/100 defenses or 77/124/92 defenses in terms of surviving 2hkos against the meta? Some rules of thumb? I'd like to just *know* immediately whether something can, for example, take 2 hydro pumps from greninja and also 2 brave birds from talonflame without calcing all the time. Just looking for some general pointers and advice for the mental math and number crunching efficiently.

Can you please quote me when answering?

I need some special attacker, since I have aegislash, talonflame and Garchomp, who is also a water mon.

I ruled Azumarill out, cause it's physical as well, which is better, Greninja or Rotom-W?
Rotom-W if you ask me, because Greninja is extremely squishy. Both are good, of course. Aegislash makes a jim-dandy special attacker, too, though; Shadow Ball plus Flash Cannon plus either the HP of your choice or a physical attack of your choice (for a mixed set) is fairly good coverage. (Ghost+Steel+Fighting is actually perfect neutral coverage.)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
When you're scrolling through the list of http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/ how do you make quick estimates on bulk? Can you look at something with, say, 80/80/80 defenses and quickly know how it compares with something that has, say, 60/100/100 defenses or 77/124/92 defenses in terms of surviving 2hkos against the meta? Some rules of thumb? I'd like to just *know* immediately whether something can, for example, take 2 hydro pumps from greninja and also 2 brave birds from talonflame without calcing all the time. Just looking for some general pointers and advice for the mental math and number crunching efficiently.
when looking at similar HP/Def/Sdef stats the rule of thumb is:

if HP<Defensive Stat the the pokemon will take hits better. For example Skarmory, Deoxys-D, Ferrothorn, Forretress etc. Thanks to that they are good abusers of stuff like Pain Split and HP Leeching moves.

if HP>Defensive Stat the pokemon will be more 'bulky'. They rely on their tankiness to live hits. Their High HP stats make them perfect abusers of self recovery move, wish passing, and counter/mirror coat strategems. Example Pink Blobs, Wobbufet, Vaporeon

So for the purpose of your question the 60/100/100 mon will take lower % damage than the 80/80/80 mon.

Rotom-W if you ask me, because Greninja is extremely squishy. Both are good, of course. Aegislash makes a jim-dandy special attacker, too, though; Shadow Ball plus Flash Cannon plus either the HP of your choice or a physical attack of your choice (for a mixed set) is fairly good coverage. (Ghost+Steel+Fighting is actually perfect neutral coverage.)
Well, Ghost/Fighting is actually perfect neutral coverage, so it shouldn't surprise you that Ghost/Steel/Fighting is also. The only possible use for a steel type move COVERAGE WISE would be to hit Ghost/Normal types (which something like dark would do better anyway), but since those don't exist yet, Ghost/Fighting still works out fine.

Also to elaborate more, those who have transferred or will transfer gen 5 event Iron Fist Chimchar will be able to breed its HA to more Chimchar, so it should be fairly common and easy to get on forums once Pokebank is up and running fully.

Well, Ghost/Fighting is actually perfect neutral coverage, so it shouldn't surprise you that Ghost/Steel/Fighting is also. The only possible use for a steel type move COVERAGE WISE would be to hit Ghost/Normal types (which something like dark would do better anyway), but since those don't exist yet, Ghost/Fighting still works out fine.
100% forgot that Ghost/Fighting was perfect coverage by itself, my bad.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Grrr, 4th gen Latias... I can only transfer right now from 5th gen. In light of that, would a set of Timid 252 SpA/252 Spe with DM/HW/Psyshock and Recover in place of Defog be ok? Especially if I have a RSer/Defogger on something else.

And I guess Timid is the best nature to run a potential number of different sets?
Well Defog is actually the primary reason to run this set, but Latias can still pull off an LO Tank set like she did last gen. I have never used Healing Wish on latias, but its a great move for HO teams to get a crippled sweeper back into action to start a late game sweep especially combined with Defog, but i wouldn't recommend it for more defensive teams where wish support is generally superior.

I am pretty sure that last Gen there was a spread that was superior to 252/252/4 (something like 72 HP/252 Spe/rest spA) but with the nerf to some special moves it might not work like that any more and timid should always be the nature of choice latias as speed is one of her best attributes over other special tanks.

After a whole day of trying to get a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Female Timid Snivy, the best I've got is a 31/31/31/31/30/31 Snivy. I'm about ready to give up on getting my desired spread, so if I use the one I got, will the 30 SpD IVs matter against certain attacks made against it as a Serperior? I'm planning on a Dual Screens build for nostalgia.

I'm assuming the difference is negligible, but I'm a perfectionist, so...

haunter

Banned deucer.
After a whole day of trying to get a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Female Timid Snivy, the best I've got is a 31/31/31/31/30/31 Snivy. I'm about ready to give up on getting my desired spread, so if I use the one I got, will the 30 SpD IVs matter against certain attacks made against it as a Serperior? I'm planning on a Dual Screens build for nostalgia.

I'm assuming the difference is negligible, but I'm a perfectionist, so...
As you said, the difference is really negligible. For example:
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 235-278 (66.3 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 238-281 (67.2 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The 1st calculation assumes perfect SpD, while the 2nd one has a SpD IV of 30. Basically, the difference is less than 1%. I used Noivern as a reference because of Infiltrator.

As you said, the difference is really negligible. For example:

The 1st calculation assumes perfect SpD, while the 2nd one has a SpD IV of 30. Basically, the difference is less than 1%. I used Noivern as a reference because of Infiltrator.
Thanks for the quick lookup.

Well, it gives me one less thing to worry about. Though I'll still be a little bit annoyed of that less than 1%... cursed perfectionism.

Whatever. Now to test out Egg moves...

About Heliolisk. I know that he will be most likely UU but I build a funny team with him in OU. (I know UU doesn't exist yet)

I've seen in his preview analysis that he is checked by Rotom-W. But I do the contrary, Heliolisk checks Rotom-W. My question is, how Rotom-W can check Heliolisk as seen as he's immune to (even absorb) water (I use a dry skin one) and take pitiful damage to electric attacks?

About Heliolisk. I know that he will be most likely UU but I build a funny team with him in OU. (I know UU doesn't exist yet)

I've seen in his preview analysis that he is checked by Rotom-W. But I do the contrary, Heliolisk checks Rotom-W. My question is, how Rotom-W can check Heliolisk as seen as he's immune to (even absorb) water (I use a dry skin one) and take pitiful damage to electric attacks?
Heliolisk can't really hurt Rotom-W especially well, either. It's kind of a stalemate.

Rotom-W has status options such as Will-O-Wisp which is common, and its uninvested Thunderbolt does ~20-25% to Heliolisk. It can also Volt Switch out to a counter easily, and soak up Heliolisk's own Thunderbolts reasonably well.

However, I still don't know why it's listed as a check. Try asking in C&C.

Just gonna repeat my question cause it wasn't answered...

For a Sleeptalk Snorlax with Crunch and Body Slam.
Which EV spread should I be using? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)