Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly dont agree, a cosmic power, moonlight(to stay in line with somogons(no soft boiled) statndeds) stored power charge beam leftovers is totally relible and viable
Calm Mind gives you much more immediate power after a boost, whereas the Cosmic Power set is Taunt bait because it takes forever to set up, leaves you crammed for coverage and has little to no power after a boost. In a fast-paced meta like this, the slow start-up of CP makes it completely unviable. Others have said it (polite way of saying ninja'd) but let me make it clear: Cosmic Power is unviable, so please don't do a write-up on it, and please drop the subject.

EDIT:
wutever, if i cant do CP clefable i am going to do specs sylveon if its not taken
Sorry, it's already listed under wallbreakers

ummm i said i wouldnt do it but i would do specs sylveon

Okay if its taken how about Life Orb Shaymin and Mandibuzz?

Last edited:
ummm i said i wouldnt do it but i would do specs sylveon

Okay if its taken how about Life Orb Shaymin and Mandibuzz?
If you're going to do a write up, please do write-ups on mons listed in the OU viability rankings. Also, Mandibuzz already has a write-up under the "support" category.

all right, is there a list of pokemon that arn't written up? Also i ahve a question, this oras teambulding, is this availible for other teirs?

all right, is there a list of pokemon that arn't written up? Also i ahve a question, this oras teambulding, is this availible for other teirs?
The list is just for OU purposes. Sadly I don't have a list of roles that haven't been written up for every OU viable mon; your best bet is to just check the OP to see if the set you want to reserve has already been done. You'll likely have to check multiple sections to see whether or not a write-up has been done for a set if that set fulfils multiple roles. I can whip up a list if there's a demand for it, but there's a good chance that I'll miss a set, so I wouldn't be able to guarantee its accuracy. Either way, I have a lot going on this week, so it likely wouldn't happen until this weekend at the earliest.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, mine is totally active :o
But yeah, if you have the knowledge and experience with any of the pokemon that haven't been written yet go right ahead and contribute.
edit: @ below I run the nu one - you could have just clicked on them to see .-.

Last edited:
The list is just for OU purposes. Sadly I don't have a list of roles that haven't been written up for every OU viable mon; your best bet is to just check the OP to see if the set you want to reserve has already been done. You'll likely have to check multiple sections to see whether or not a write-up has been done for a set if that set fulfils multiple roles. I can whip up a list if there's a demand for it, but there's a good chance that I'll miss a set, so I wouldn't be able to guarantee its accuracy. Either way, I have a lot going on this week, so it likely wouldn't happen until this weekend at the earliest.
Okay I get it but It would be appriciated :)
thanks
Hey, mine is totally active :o
But yeah, if you have the knowledge and experience with any of the pokemon that haven't been written yet go right ahead and contribute.
really/ which teir is yours?

Okay, then. I'm back, and I'd like to take in some resevations. Coming up with them as the days pass (sorry man too busy impressing some chick lately. ^_^V)

Reserving Utility Mega Sableye, Stallbreaker Heatran (Magma Storm), Gothitelle (Specs) and Magneton (Scarf). I'd like to see if there are a few Megas left to write about, so please tell me.

EDIT: I also see that based SR setter Landorus-Therian is still not written up on. I'll take that if you like as well.

Last edited:
I'm pretty busy right now so I haven't got much time for Pokemon at all, but I notice that people are trying to reserve mon already written up. So I'm going to put a few mon in this post that should have a write-up but don't, which will hopefully make everyone's life a bit easier and keep the thread efficient. And if I write anything here someone's reserved(or if you want me add/remove anything), shout at me a bit and I'll change it.
1.SubCM Keldeo [reserved by Der Twist]
2. Mixed Sweeper Kingdra [written by sgt. Spooky]
3. RP Lando-I [reserved by Der Twist]
4. Non-CroBro Mega Slowbro [written by Rinokiru, or however that's spelt]
5. Defensive Mega Venu
6. Jirachi(sets various)
7. Bulky Dragonite
8. Omastar
9. SR Azelf
10. Toxicroak
11. Bronzong

Last edited:
I'm pretty busy right now so I haven't got much time for Pokemon at all, but I notice that people are trying to reserve mon already written up. So I'm going to put a few mon in this post that should have a write-up but don't, which will hopefully make everyone's life a bit easier and keep the thread efficient. And if I write anything here someone's reserved(or if you want me add/remove anything), shout at me a bit and I'll change it.
1.SubCM Keldeo
2. Mixed Sweeper Kingdra
3. RP Lando-I
4. Non-CroBro Mega Slowbro
5. Defensive Mega Venu
6. Jirachi(sets various)
7. Bulky Dragonite
8. Omastar
9. SR Azelf
10. Toxicroak
11. Bronzong
I double-checked and can confirm that everything on here should be fair game. Thanks for the list!

Too many people use Specs Kingdra when mixed LO is better imo. Choice users on rain are kind of a bad idea unless it's Omastar.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 64 Atk / 216 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Outrage

Role: Mixed Sweeper

What It Does: Kingdra is arguably the king of swift swimmers. Under rain, it boasts unmatchable speed and high-powered STAB+Rain+LO boosted Water moves. Dragon+Water gives great neutral coverage, missing out on just Azumarill, Mega Altaria and Ferrothorn, as far as prominent threats go; and 120/130 BP STAB moves hit hard, even off of its average offensive stats.

Good Teammates: As a rain sweeper, rain setters are mandatory teammates. Politoed is borderline required for any rain team, and manual rain setters like Klefki or Lati@s are good ideas to relieve pressure on Politoed. Rain sweepers are best used in tandem; Omastar is a good partner due to its ability to deal incredible damage to conventional rain checks like Ferrothorn, and how it shares checks with Kingdra more closely than the physical swift swimmers. Omastar can also use Knock Off to remove Chansey's Eviolite. Mega Swampert is a great swift swim partner due to its incredible bulk and useful typing; its Ground STAB allows it to deal reliable damage to non-Grass rain checks, and the immunity to Electric allows it to check Thundurus very well which threatens to paralyze Kingdra. The bulk allows it to switch in to a lot of things that would threaten/annoy Kingdra, such as Tyranitar and pre-MEvo Trace Gardevoir. It's also easy to double switch Kingdra into Swampert's checks cause they're usually just blanket physical walls like Skarmory and Slowbro.

What Counters It: Azumarill and Ferrothorn are Kingdra's best checks. However, Azumarill doesn't have a form of recovery and is actually 2HKOed by Hydro Pump if it's not AV; it's immune to Kingdra's Dragon moves though, and immediately threatens Kingdra if it gets a chance to switch in. Mega Altaria resists boths of its STABs, but like Azumarill it has to run a fair amount of special bulk to avoid a 2HKO from Hydro Pump. Ferrothorn is a huge annoyance to Kingdra, taking relatively little from any of its moves and recovering through Leech Seed. Empoleon also resists its STABs but that's kind of it.

Chansey is only 3HKOed by Kingdra's physical moves, so it's a fairly reliable counter but loses if it has lost its Eviolite; Blissey is 2HKOed by Waterfall.

Talonflame's Brave Bird and Thundurus' T-Wave can put an end to Kingdra's sweep, but neither of them can hope to switch in.

Kingdra is able to 2HKO many bulky Water resists through a combination of Draco Meteor+Outrage, but many are still able to win 1v1.

Any Additional Info:

Sorry for the minor delay. I'll have the other two done as days pass by. Oh and I'm not gonna take SR Landorus-Therian so I could get a load off my back.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Role:Support (Trapping), Wallbreaker

What It Does: Specs Gothitelle does wallbreaking at a different approach by trapping and annihilating walls with its coverage moves. This set is the one I found most useful to me, so this is just a placeholder set. Your STAB of choice is at your choosing; Psychic for more definite power, and Psyshock for getting past special walls. Thunderbolt is pretty neat coverage, hitting things like Gyarados, Togekiss and Azumarill. Energy Ball is there to hit the likes of Rotom-W and Quagsire, and HP Fire is there to hit Steel-type resists like (Mega) Scizor and Ferrothorn barring Heatran. Trick is for crippling numerous walls who will try to use status moves, but this tactic can be less effective against offensive teams. The spread above makes it bulky enough to reliably handle things like Keldeo whilst having enough Speed for 0 Speed Mega Scizor. Modest is used for maximum breaking power. Slap any move on Gothitelle as long as it caters to what the team needs to be eliminated.

Good Teammates: VoltTurn support is very helpful as it brings Gothitelle in to any wall it wants to trap. Teammates like Scizor and Mega Manectric do fine. Scizor helps as well to defeat Pursuit trappers, the most common being Bisharp and Scarfed Tyranitar, with Superpower. Pursuit trappers can be added as well to take down Lati@s, who takes on any move Gothitelle commonly throws. Any offensive Pokemon that appreciates their walls removed or weakened is appreciated. Mega Sharpedo and Azumarill are neat options, as Energy Ball decimates Rotom-W and other miscellaneous Pokemon. Hazard entry support is appreciated as well as it makes its job easier. Knock Off from the likes of Bisharp also help it remove Shed Shell from opponents. Hazard control is needed so Gothitelle won’t take much residual damage, since it mainly does a lot of switching.

What Counters It: Chansey is already known as a complete stop to any special attacking Pokemon, but she has to watch out for Psyshock. Lati@s can take hits from Gothitelle as well, both of which can proceed to retaliate with Draco Meteor. As Gothitelle can run a myriad of moves, its counters and checks are also dependent of its moves.

Any Additional Info: Again, put anything (viable) you want on this thing, as it’s quite capable of doing so. So don’t build around it; build around your team around with it. It’s really awesome, but take caution in using it as it can’t take that much hits. Also, watch out for Ghost-types and other Shadow Tag Pokemon as those can switch due to ability mechanics.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Role:Stallbreaker

What It Does: This Heatran set aims to break stall by trapping with Magma Storm and crippling with Taunt. Stealth Rock can be run on this variant, as it forces switches fairly well. Taunt is pretty much a must on any stallbreaker. Heatran also has a fast Taunt that deserves mention. Magma Storm is run to trap any hit Pokemon, meaning it has no escape (barring Pokemon that can use things like Volt Switch and Baton Pass.) Walls are the main target of this to ensure the Taunt gets through. Earth Power is run so it doesn’t get hardwalled by opposing Heatran. It also has decent coverage paired with Magma Storm. Leftovers is preferred so it maintains longevity, and the EVs are made as such so it hits hard and fast. I suppose you can tailor it to have more bulk, so that’s up to preference as well. The only things you can’t toggle is Speed, as it really needs it.

Good Teammates: A good teammate for Heatran is Celebi, boasting near-perfect coverage with it. Anything to deal with Ground-types is appreciated so it doesn’t get scared all the time. Bulky Water-types are also a problem, so have something for that like Celebi or Serperior. Pursuit trappers can also help with the weakness to Lati@s. Scizor and Bisharp are great partners in that regard.

What Counters It: Lati@s is a check to it by its typing, but ironically Heatran takes on its hits as well (barring Surf variants). Water-types are also a problem as it can take on Magma Storm too. Ground-types can scare out Heatran and can use it as set-up fodder. Even if Heatran can reliably take on Mega Sableye, it can use Heatran as fodder with Calm Mind. Air Balloon Heatran guarantees immunity to what it can offer, so it’s a reliable switch-in to it if it has its Air Balloon intact. Talonflame is counter-ish since your moves basically do nothing to it, but it won't do anything to you as well.

Any Additional Info: Trap anything Heatran possibly can deal with, and feel free to switch it out as much as you want. Just don’t be that guy who’ll let it stay in against anything that can downright KO Heatran.

EDIT: Changed Gothitelle's spread to make it bulkier, creep 0 Speed Mega Scizor and semi-reliable answer to Tflame and other powerful threats. Thanks DarkNostalgia !

EDIT2: Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
Sanger Zonvolt, is it possible to remove flygon and regular sharpedo from the OP. Neither are ranked on the viability rankings (flygon was removed in the latest update) and I don't believe it is wise to direct new players to pokemon that are generally considered unviable in the community.

Sanger Zonvolt, is it possible to remove flygon and regular sharpedo from the OP. Neither are ranked on the viability rankings (flygon was removed in the latest update) and I don't believe it is wise to direct new players to pokemon that are generally considered unviable in the community.
Literally just removed Flygon when you posted this. I'll have Sharpedo removed in a sec; I hadn't noticed that it was booted from the list.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Hp / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock
Role: Bulky set up sweeper, tank, Physical wall

What It Does: It is the defensive mega wall. It has a higher def. stat than skarmory which is the king of defensive wall peaking at a stat 416 while mega slowbro has a peaked 504 def stat. This def stat lets you switch in onto many physical sweepers like bisharp, azumarill, terakion and so forth. It special investment is so he doesnt die from a volt switch on magnazone or other special attacks and so he can freely calm mind. Scald is for a STAB water type move with the 30% chance to burn , psyshock is for a psychic STAB and to hit fighting and posion and other pokemon who do not take a lot from scald or already burned(situational). Slack off is so you can gain health from the minimal damage you take when setting up and the hits you take due to the fact you are basically the slowest mega(IDK about mega sablye tho). The whole point is so that you switch in to a physical sweeper and then set up calm minds. When the opponent realizes he needs special attacks to win, he switch out into thunderous, shaymin, magnazone, raikou etc. Then you slack off. You take a hit you OHKO or 2HKO in return and then precede to slack off or put up another calm mind.

Good Teamates: One great counter to this set it status. Taunt, sleep, freeze, paralysis, burn toxic whatever can shreak this set. So you need to eliminate them or have heal bell. Some pokemon with heal bell are togikiss which works well with due to being somewhat of a special wall. You will need a dedicated special wall though so a good idea may be to have celibi or blissey.

What counters it: Status and special sweepers. Let me elaborate. First off, slowbro has no reliable way of getting rid of status unless you use the CroBro set. Also before slowbro get to +2 or +3 calm minds it is susceptible to being OHKOed or 2HKOed by pokemon on the special side. These pokemon like revenge kill Thunderus therian, Thunderous, Raikou, Magnazone, grass types, bug types etc. You have to be careful about these pokemon.

Any additional info: Slowbro was eaten by a angry shell thats why it mega evloved

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

What It Does: It is the defensive mega wall. It has a higher def. stat than skarmory which is the king of defensive wall peaking at a stat 416 while mega slowbro has a peaked 504 def stat. This def stat lets you switch in onto many physical sweepers like bisharp, azumarill, terakion and so forth. It special investment is so he doesnt die from a volt switch on magnazone or other special attacks and so he can freely calm mind. Scald is for a STAB water type move with the 30% chance to burn , psyshock is for a psychic STAB and to hit fighting and posion and other pokemon who do not take a lot from scald or already burned(situational). Slack off is so you can gain health from the minimal damage you take when setting up and the hits you take due to the fact you are basically the slowest mega(IDK about mega sablye tho). The whole point is so that you switch in to a physical sweeper and then set up calm minds. When the opponent realizes he needs special attacks to win, he switch out into thunderous, shaymin, magnazone, raikou etc. Then you slack off. You take a hit you OHKO or 2HKO in return and then precede to slack off or put up another calm mind.

Good Teamates: One great counter to this set it status. Taunt, sleep, freeze, paralysis, burn toxic whatever can shreak this set. So you need to eliminate them or have heal bell. Some pokemon with heal bell are togikiss which works well with due to being somewhat of a special wall. You will need a dedicated special wall though so a good idea may be to have celibi or blissey.

What counters it: Status and special sweepers. Let me elaborate. First off, slowbro has no reliable way of getting rid of status unless you use the CroBro set. Also before slowbro get to +2 or +3 calm minds it is susceptible to being OHKOed or 2HKOed by pokemon on the special side. These pokemon like revenge kill Thunderus therian, Thunderous, Raikou, Magnazone, grass types, bug types etc. You have to be careful about these pokemon.
I'm really doubting your EV spread. Why are there no HP EVs? It makes no sense to go 252 def / 252 spdef, it's horribly inefficient.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Any additional info: Slowbro was eaten by a angry shell thats why it mega evloved
Just a bit of a nitpick: you misspelled Terrakion, Sableye, Togekiss, Celebi, Thundurus, and Magnezone. You should also make sure to capitalize the names of Pokemon and the word "Pokemon". Also, "shreak" is not a verb.

As for the write-up itself, for the good teammates section, you should emphasize that mons that can take on offensive Grass-types and Electric-types also make good partners. Right now you're just emphasizing Special Walls without emphasizing type synergy, which is important for defensive mons. You should also mention that Mega Slowbro does not like dealing with Gengar or SD Bisharp. You should also point out that it's not necessary for Mega Slowbro to immediately Mega-evolve; it's useful to hold off so that you can pivot better with Regenerator. You also mentioned switching in on Bisharp in the beginning, but that's actually a really bad idea unless you know that it's not the SD variant. I'd also remove the mention of Shaymin that you included since Shaymin is not really used in OU, and while Blissey is not unviable, I would mention Chansey instead since more often than not Chansey will be the better option.

Lastly, as boltsandbombers said, your EV spread is pretty inefficient. Unless the mon's name is Chansey, it's pretty much always better to dump about 248 EVs into HP and then put the rest in defensive or offensive stats as needed. I believe for this set the recommended amount is 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD to ease switching in on Special Attackers.

Just a bit of a nitpick: you misspelled Terrakion, Sableye, Togekiss, Celebi, Thundurus, and Magnezone. You should also make sure to capitalize the names of Pokemon and the word "Pokemon". Also, "shreak" is not a verb.

As for the write-up itself, for the good teammates section, you should emphasize that mons that can take on offensive Grass-types and Electric-types also make good partners. Right now you're just emphasizing Special Walls without emphasizing type synergy, which is important for defensive mons. You should also mention that Mega Slowbro does not like dealing with Gengar or SD Bisharp. You should also point out that it's not necessary for Mega Slowbro to immediately Mega-evolve; it's useful to hold off so that you can pivot better with Regenerator. You also mentioned switching in on Bisharp in the beginning, but that's actually a really bad idea unless you know that it's not the SD variant. I'd also remove the mention of Shaymin that you included since Shaymin is not really used in OU, and while Blissey is not unviable, I would mention Chansey instead since more often than not Chansey will be the better option.

Lastly, as boltsandbombers said, your EV spread is pretty inefficient. Unless the mon's name is Chansey, it's pretty much always better to dump about 248 EVs into HP and then put the rest in defensive or offensive stats as needed. I believe for this set the recommended amount is 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD to ease switching in on Special Attackers.
you will need the entire 252 def stat and bold nature to surivive and handle physical attacks thats the whole point and the 252 evs can be split up into hp and special def. i will chagen the pokemon misspells and add some special attacks etc

you will need the entire 252 def stat and bold nature to surivive and handle physical attacks thats the whole point and the 252 evs can be split up into hp and special def. i will chagen the pokemon misspells and add some special attacks etc
You really shouldn't be splitting EVs between HP and a defensive stat; once again, if you aren't Chansey you are much better off investing 252 evs into HP. You have to remember that Slowbro may have scenarios where it needs to switch into or be able to tank special attacks. Even if you don't use the spread I mentioned, you at least want 108 SpD EVs to prevent being OHKO'd by LO Latios's Draco Meteor after SR and to prevent being 2HKO'd by Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump after SR.

EDIT: Just to emphasize the importance of dumping EVs into HP versus the other defensive stats, here are calcs for damage done by a mew carrying Dazzling Gleam and Return (with Return's power set to 80 to match Dazzling Gleam)

252 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Mega Slowbro: 67-79 (20.2 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Mew Return vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 34-41 (10.2 - 12.3%) -- possible 9HKO

Now here are the calcs with 252 Hp and 96 SpD Evs:
252 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Mega Slowbro: 79-93 (20 - 23.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Mew Return vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Mega Slowbro: 40-48 (10.1 - 12.1%) -- possible 9HKO

In other words, by dumping into HP first, you get way more bang for your buck. As shown above, investing in HP first gives 156 spare EVs to put somewhere else as opposed to the first example that has no HP investment.

Last edited:
You really shouldn't be splitting EVs between HP and a defensive stat; once again, if you aren't Chansey you are much better off investing 252 evs into HP. You have to remember that Slowbro may have scenarios where it needs to switch into or be able to tank special attacks. Even if you don't use the spread I mentioned, you at least want 108 SpD EVs to prevent being OHKO'd by LO Latios's Draco Meteor after SR and to prevent being 2HKO'd by Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump after SR.

EDIT: Just to emphasize the importance of dumping EVs into HP versus the other defensive stats, here are calcs for damage done by a mew carrying Dazzling Gleam and Return (with Return's power set to 80 to match Dazzling Gleam)

252 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Mega Slowbro: 67-79 (20.2 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Mew Return vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 34-41 (10.2 - 12.3%) -- possible 9HKO

Now here are the calcs with 252 Hp and 96 SpD Evs:
252 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Mega Slowbro: 79-93 (20 - 23.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Mew Return vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Mega Slowbro: 40-48 (10.1 - 12.1%) -- possible 9HKO

In other words, by dumping into HP first, you get way more bang for your buck. As shown above, investing in HP first gives 156 spare EVs to put somewhere else as opposed to the first example that has no HP investment.
okay i belive you i did some of my own calcs like against LO swords dance bisharp using knock off against both my 252 def and bold along side 252 special def with magnazone, relating to the 252 hp invest you said along with the 108 special def stat, as long their arent any special wallbreaker your set should be just fine :)

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm going to drop both my only reservations atm, namely Utility Mega Sableye and Magneton. I only noticed this once, but there's this evil Double Dance (CM + Iron Defense) Mega Slowbro too. I'd like to have that.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I would run 88 speed on Gothitelle as opposed to 44 since it speed creeps 0 speed mega scizor and whilst allowing for the 30 speed ivs for hp fire. max speed specs goth is pretty bad imo since chansey 3hkos with seismic toss and also doesnt have the bulk to take on keldeo and t-flame etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)