OU CCAT - Round 7 - Revision

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well have it your way, it's really a difference in opinion.
But
In the keldeo situation, why would volc be facing keldeo at +0? Scarf keldeo switches in to revenge volc, only to have it boost again to +2, giga drain for health and then sweep
Okay you're assuming quite a few things here:
  • Volcarona manages to boost BOTH with full/near full heath and Passho. Remove any one of those and Keldeo has a clear shot at revenge KOing you since you can't tank it even at +1 SDef unless at +80%.
  • If you have boosted to +1 given the current state of the metagame, it would be fair to assume that this isn't possible on a consistent level without taking damage/status (unless you opponent is called Ferrothorn)?
Pick and choose enough circumstantial scenarios and you can make any set look quite the revolution..
I like the set, I seriously do. I just think it's missing the Consistency factor that the OP laid down. The win conditions to get a substantial boost are just too many to account for while maintaining diverse team building options. I also don't like the fact you are completely helpless against premier threats like Dragonite, Tenta and Salamence even at +2. Especially Dnite and Mence, who are Lategame sweepers like volc and will be the ones to give it most competition lategame. And many more things happen to check you unless you've boosted twice, it is really noticeable without LO or Lum to ward them off.

tldr: Passho is really situational, no matter what you say.
----
EDIT:
@Soul Fly

Shurtugal said:
Next, the EVs. Use this: 248 Hp / 8 SpA / 252 Spe. You might be shocked to see the little special attack investment, but fear not! 8 Special attack evs at +2 gives you 597 SpA to work with a fucking Life Orb, so you don't even need investment. The HP investment allows you to live Mamoswine's LO Ice Shard for 59%, live Latias's LO Draco Meteor for a 30% chance for a OHKO at +1, and a guarantee survival at +2, lives Specs Ice Beam from Politoed, walls HP Ice from Keldeo and Landorus-I, can take a Crunch from Tyranitar and 2HKO back, easily sets up on Alakzam, and much more.
Chance to OHKO even at +1 Sdef bulk (heavy emphasis at IMO) isn't enough with so many threats running round.

Plus you're running it with LO. As it is even at +1 you're getting hammered with over +50% damage rolls and chance OHKOes and on top of that you have to factor RECOIL.
At the very least include Roost in that set after factoring these in. It's common sense. The set just FAILS without it.

I admit that it has surprising muscle at +1 but I still don't see why latias couldn't pull off the same spread better, albeit with a little less force, since you're running ZERO recovery.
PS: Lando-I isn't around anymore so might want to edit your copy-paste a bit

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Well have it your way, it's really a difference in opinion.
But

Okay you're assuming quite a few things here:
  • Volcarona manages to boost BOTH with full/near full heath and Passho. Remove any one of those and Keldeo has a clear shot at revenge KOing you since you can't tank it even at +1 SDef unless at +80%.
  • If you have boosted to +1 given the current state of the metagame, it would be fair to assume that this isn't possible on a consistent level without taking damage/status (unless you opponent is called Ferrothorn)?
Pick and choose enough circumstantial scenarios and you can make any set look quite the revolution..
I like the set, I seriously do. I just think it's missing the Consistency factor that the OP laid down. The win conditions to get a substantial boost are just too many to account for while maintaining diverse team building options. I also don't like the fact you are completely helpless against premier threats like Dragonite, Tenta and Salamence even at +2. Especially Dnite and Mence, who are Lategame sweepers like volc and will be the ones to give it most competition lategame. And many more things happen to check you unless you've boosted twice, it is really noticeable without LO or Lum to ward them off.

tldr: Passho is really situational, no matter what you say.
I'll get some replays, because it really is a better-in-practice set, though I am not at all opposed to switching to lum. Passho just alleviates some support (it can be difficult to get rid of things like keldeo), which, in my opinion, opens up more team options. :)

EDIT:

Chance to OHKO even at +1 Sdef bulk (heavy emphasis at IMO) isn't enough with so many threats running round.

Plus you're running it with LO. As it is even at +1 you're getting hammered with over +50% damage rolls and chance OHKOes and on top of that you have to factor RECOIL. At least anyone with decent logic would have included Roost in that set after factoring these in.
I admit that it has surprising muscle at +1 but I still don't see why latias couldn't pull off the same spread better, albeit with a little less force, since you're running ZERO recovery.
PS: Lando-I isn't around anymore so might want to edit your copy-paste a bit

Yeah ik it isn't, so that part of the quote is now irrelevant. The reason I didn't include Roost is because we aren't allowed to post sets with slashes in the moveset, and I have Expert Belt as the primary item because of this. And if this set happens to get voted into the CCAT, and after we test the team at the end and find the added bulk isn't worth the power decrease, we can always vote to change it.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah ik it isn't, so that part of the quote is now irrelevant. The reason I didn't include Roost is because we aren't allowed to post sets with slashes in the moveset, and I have Expert Belt as the primary item because of this. And if this set happens to get voted into the CCAT, and after we test the team at the end and find the added bulk isn't worth the power decrease, we can always vote to change it.

That's cool, I'd suggest LO on the set with Roost. At least It lives for more than 3 turns that way. I really don't see it working without Roost, at all.

But the OP explicitly told us to avoid Slashes, just to avoid confusing sets like these. Plus you cannot just 'fix' sets in the end like that. An entire team is going to be based around this Stat spread, I hope you realise that, and spread changes can only be corrected 'AFTER' the process is complete. You can't have fingers in both pies.

If you are looking for advise I'd say take a call between Dragon Pulse or Surf (Psyshock is Necessary) and include ROOST as a mandatory move. NO slashes please. Makes it difficult to evaluate.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I agree with a lot of what Soul Fly said, with the exception being that I really don't want this team to be built around Sheer Force Conkeldurr. Ben Gay and I both made popular teams in the last few months that featured Sheer Force Conkeldurr, and I feel like it just isn't that new/exciting anymore. Obviously I'm biased because I made a team with it, so it's not as interesting to me, but I would honestly call that the "standard" Conkeldurr in the meta right now.

I guess I also disagree that we should be avoiding things like SubSalac Garchomp and Terrakion, because I think it would be better to start with a 'mon that can be fit on plenty of team styles. This gives us more options for other Pokémon later in the CCAT, and doesn't make it boring (for instance, if I suggested Tornadus, it would have a clear direction, but it would suck because we would know we had to add Politoed, a rapid spinner, etc.). A Pokémon that can fit onto lots of different teams seems like it would make the project more interesting to me.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
I think it would be better to start with a 'mon that can be fit on plenty of team styles. This gives us more options for other Pokémon later in the CCAT, and doesn't make it boring (for instance, if I suggested Tornadus, it would have a clear direction, but it would suck because we would know we had to add Politoed, a rapid spinner, etc.). A Pokémon that can fit onto lots of different teams seems like it would make the project more interesting to me.
True, but if we're going to have a sweeper IMO it should be something which at least gives a general direction to this team, not something that leads to utter chaos in the later round because everyone is trying to fit it in a variation of their most favorite Sand/HO/Balance team. It'll be a problem of TOO many choices.

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Acrobatics
- Superpower

This is a standard set with a twist. Acrobatics allows sd scizor to overcome it's usual counters. Just look at these calcs.

+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Scizor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Jellicent: 368-433 (91.31 - 107.44%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Scizor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Tentacruel: 377-444 (103.57 - 121.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Flying Gem Scizor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 358-422 (101.41 - 119.54%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anyways, sd acrobatics scizor would be a good start to this type of team. While scizor is generally added to teams as a "glue" to check threats, this set is different. Acrobatics scizor can lure tentacruel, jellicent, and gyardos and ohko them , allowing another mon to sweep. The set works well with volcarona, keldeo, and lucario who appreciate having these pokemon removed.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
True, but if we're going to have a sweeper IMO it should be something which at least gives a general direction to this team, not something that leads to utter chaos in the later round because everyone is trying to fit it in a variation of their most favorite Sand/HO/Balance team. It'll be a problem of TOO many choices.
The direction of the team definitely won't be too broad to come up with something if we were to go with either of these options. They both have a good amount of Pokemon that can threaten them so finding partners to help deal with said Pokemon will obviously be a good start. Plus, neither of these are likely to fit on to any type of weather besides Sand, and obviously Stall won't be an option either. Also the vast majority of offensive threats in OU can fit into Sand/HO/Balance, unless it's something that only fits into Rain or Sun which you already said is too restrictive. Just seems like a weak reasoning to push those options aside imo.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Reckless
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Brave Bird
- Double Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

No picture, but this thing is a monster. Seemingly outclassed by Salamence who has the same speed and Moxie, this thing has immediate power and Brave Baird has more power than Outrage! U-turn is great too for scouting, and Double Edge is a good secondary STAB while Close Combat is for nuking Steel-types. This thing is BL right now, so it is still viable, and hits really hard. Recoil will bring it down soon, but it should be able to have break enough holes for a teammate to clean up. Adamant is chosen because through my experience, Staraptor loves the extra power, but Jolly could be used I guess for Modest Volcarona and Adamant Salamence.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

This set works wonders on weatherless teams, and since according to the last stats around 50% of team are weatherless and another 25% run Drizzle, you won't find any trouble setting up rain or even getting it for free. Rain Dance acts like an agility boost and 2.5 mystic waters all at once. A special Kingdra is preferred because for one you will not care for any burn attempts that the foe might attempt in vain, and second Kingdra's special attack arsenal takes more advantage of the situation. Speaking of which, this set tends to resort to fully accurate moves most of the time, because if something fails to hit Kingdra might not live to do much in the next turns. I did save a slot for Draco Meteor, which I feel does better against rain pokemon such as Toxicroak, Tentacruel and other pokemon such as Jellicent. Needless to be said, changing the weather against Sun teams is a death sentence, while Sand loses it passive stalling capabilities and the odd Stoutland here and there while keeping you Multi Scales and Sashes alive. Also, outspeed everything and having the freedom of choice means you can come and clean Scarf Latios, Garchomp, Hydregion, Dragonite, Terrakion, Keledo, Tornadus, Thundrus and several other pokemon and wipe the slate clean.

Edit: A demonstration against a rain team:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-41260078

Divide et impera
Liepard @ Lagging Tail
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Trick
- Taunt/T-wave
- Yawn

Yes the joke of the coffee-corner of NU: Liepard. It has some potential that is, I feel, unused: Prankster is along with Multiscale, Magic Bounce and some other abilities one of the undeniably bestabilities in Pokémon. This makes use of it's ability to it's fulliest without it becoming a burden:
Trick coupled with a crippling item like a specs, band or Lagging Tail is an incredible combo that can easily cripple an opposing pokémon. For example: it can easily trick a tail unto a terrakion whilst it's setting up an 'easy SR' or is killing shit, or trick said tail on Keldeo for similiar effect. Whilst there are a fair amount of crippling items that can be tricked: Lagging Tail is the better all-around choice in the offensive metagame that favors power and speed without any real down-sides to Liepard, as Prankster ignores Lagging Tail's effect, save for such specific situations that they might as well be ignored because you made a massive mistake in that case. Along with that, tricking a Lagging Tail will 999999/1000000 give you an advantage: the holder of Lagging Tail will always move last, unless they have a priority move or prankster themselves. A threatening sweeper like Volcarona, Keldeo, Breloom or Terrakion are far less scary once they have lost their favorable item and have it get replaced by the Lagging Tail of imment doom, as it will make your pokémon always faster, even Ferrothorn will be faster than them. Meanwhile a bulky attacker like Kyurem suddenly loses it's Roost-Sub combo if it relies on being faster than it's opponent, not to mention the loss of Lefties, which will hurt their survivability. Additional fun with this set can be extracted by tricking a lagging tail on a choice user, switch out, then proceed to later trick it on a pokémon that will far from benefit from it: like Ferrothorn.
In the Third Slot, I can't make a real decision: either Taunt or T-wave, both have incredible uses but it will depend on what the team will need. Taunt can be used to stop defensive tanks/stallers and set-uppers from doing their thing, most importantly IMO being Gengar and Kyurem who suddenly lose their uses whilst taunted. Meanwhile T-wave is an incredible move that lowers the speed of an opposing pokémon, much like lagging tail, giving you a semi-revenge option, unless the opponent has a ground type or lum berry. Prankster T-wave can easily break a sweep, no matter how bad (to an extend).
T-wave meanwhile provides a semi-revenge option against anything powerful that lacks a ground typing or has a lum berry: after a kill against one of your pokémon you can quite easily switch in Liepard and either Trick (if you haven't already) it's Heavy Tail against it, or T-wave it to massively reduce it's sweeping potential. T-wave can also be used as a double-status set for Liepard.
Then there's the last slot: go for Yawn, Yawn provides another semi-revenge annoying move to aid your team: it forces the opponent to sleep or forces them to switch out to negate it, potentially putting you in a better position, allowing you to yawn again, status or trick them: but you can also use U-turn if you don't know for sure whether they'll switch or if you want to advantage in a double-switch. Yawn pretty much acts as an indirect roar, Which will be incredible helpful to you. Whether you use it the first turn of the entire battle, as a breather move against the opponent, as a way to stop the opponent from setting up or as a semi-revenge tool. Yawn has incredible potential if coupled by a prankster user: allowing to act as an indirection roar or whirlwind, except that it has priority, puts the opponent to sleep if it doesn't switch, let's the opponent choose a switch, and can't be used if another pokémon is already at sleep: ok it's not all that much alike to the likes of roar, but the idea is the same.
U-turn is there just because Liepard needs at least some form of damage and because it is a reliable way to switch out in case you expect an incoming switch for a favorable match-up. Though Liepard is slower than some notable threats, if the opponent has the almighty Lagging Tail or has been Paralyzed it's easy to use it. Not to mention that base 106 may not be the fastest thing on the planet, it'll still be in the top 50 of the OU Marathon.
EV's other than speed honestly don't matter that much: Liepard is too weak to be a threat offensively and it's defenses leave a lot to be desired, but simply can't be remedied with defensive EV's with some quick calcs that I ran. If somebody manages to get a build that avoids a single KO's, then please do share it.
The biggest problem with Liepard, other than not being a major offensive or defensive threat, is that it is affected by all types of hazards and does not have a lot of switch-in options: it'll either have to wait for an incoming psychic attack, a double switch or a free switch through the death of one of your own pokémon.
However Liepard provides incredible support to the team and doesn't ask for much in return: because it simply can not be supported, unless you count Stealth Rock as massive support, or support at all. Liepard is a text-book example of a high-risk, high-reward annoyer without relying on hax. It's biggest boon is the ability to cripple an opposing threat (or two) by using a little bit of smart play, not too much as otherwise you probably would not understand it and it would be deemed 'too weak'. And is one of the few Pokémon that can even stop a +6/+6 threat from damaging your ranks even more, if you're willing to sacrifice Liepard that is.
Sacrifice and utility are keywords to this Liepard set, due to Liepard's frailness, do not expect it to survive a lot, or anything really. It's paper-thin defenses are worse than Sableye, which at least has three immunities and recover to help it. But it's support/cripple movepool is somewhat better than Sableye's thanks to not having to act as a wall and having acces to U-Turn. T-wave and Yawn.
This set can be used on both Defensive and Offensive teams to provide a 'plan B' in case you get swept, but it's best use is simply being capable of crippling opposing pokémon in such a way that they won't be considered a threat anymore: even if Liepard has to sacrifice itself to do so.
What I am interested in seeing is what can be done with it in the hands of better (or just, you know, skilled) players, and what an opponent could possibly do against it, both in battle and in teambuilding. Magic Bounce seems obvious, but is it really? Xatu is limited in it's possibilities and Espeon is U-Turn weak and still suspectible to Trick if I recall correctly. This set focuses on using an obvious niche set and how an 'opponent', can prepare for something like it if it knows beforehand that it can AT LEAST cripple one opposing pokémon in some way. For an added bonus: it can be seen as an experiment for High-Risk High-Reward without going the obvious sweeper route and how a true-support, whether it's for an offensive or defensive team, can work in today's metagame.

Edit: changed some of the text to reflect having less slashed moves, but I honestly can't choose for the third slot as both have uses and depend more on the preference of the team/the people

Scotti

we back.
We need some more discussion, so i am going to talk about the first 3 sets posted.

@MikeDawg ,Well i might as well comment on other peoples sets. Mikedawg i like your set. It seems like a good pokemon to start with since we will be able to provided rapid spin support for it. I think it would be a great pokemon to start

@The Great Mighty Doom, hmm this set seems like a good idea, but its terrakion. All of its set are going to be good on almost every team. I like Terrakion for sure, but when i vote i am going to look for something more creative though if i can't find anything that i think would be a good first and creative pick this set is "probably" the one i will choose.

@Lunatic Lies, well the set is kinda wierd to me. I think Roost over Calm Mind would really help. In my opinion i think Latias should never be used with Calm Mind as Latias generally outclasses him. Thats all i can say about that, i was maybe thinking that a Sub Salac set would be good seeing as that would be a great surprise and it would be hard to stop.

I am too lazy to go through all of the other submissions and give my opinion though i have my looking through them. I like your suggestion ZandgaiaX its wierd, but i could see it working i would have to try it out for myself though, but i still like it. Though maybe Whimsicott would have benn a better choice anyway I like all the suggestions. =)

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I figured I'd suggest something that is rarely used but still viable in this metagame, so there you go. A normal Life Orb Sceptile. This set really doesn't get the probs it deserves. It is nothing that you'd consider broken or nothing very outstanding in the Metagame, but it has it's niches. You outspeed nearly every unscarfed Pokemon in the Metagame, and you can fire those Leaf Storms coming off an 105 SpAtk. With Overgrow activated that does quite a chunk even to Pokemon that ressist it. In Lategame, after the bulkier Pokemon are weakend and scarfers taken out, this can sweep teams. There are quite a few water pokemon in the OU pokemon which give Sceptile chances to switch in and to do damage. While Scizor, Heatran and Ferrothorn do ressist it's STABs they won't be to happy about taking a Focus Blast, that can 2HKO all of them, and after rocks they won't be too happy about a Leaf Storm neither. Generally this set works this way. Spam Leaf Storm in midgame, and then sweep with Giga Drain and Focus Blast in lategame. There is barely anything that can switch into Leaf storm, that does not fear a Focus Blast, even stuff like Latios takes nearly 50 % from Leaf Storm. With some prediction this set can really tear offensive teams apart.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
How useful is this actually? It feels as if it's one giant theorymon rather than something that actually works.

I'm sorry, but I feel that whilst this set is strong. Wasn't this project meant to give the spotlight to less appreciated/underrated pokémon that can work really well? Volc is strong, we get it by now >: (. Also it gets beaten by my Liepard

No, not really. The point is to gain a better understand of teambuilding, which volc can for the reasons I pointed out.

Speaking of the project, you may want to read the rules, bud

P.S. Bug Buzz 1hkos?

I am going to post my comments on each set soon. However I would like to make a statement regarding "creative set debacle."

On "Interesting Sets" in the OP:

When I said "interesting set" in the OP, I meant it in the most barebone form: a set that you and the majority of other users would find interesting to use. I did not mean "interesting set" = creative (custom) / very underused OU set / lower tier Pokemon. My listing of an interesting set was in direct response to how much activity was lost in the last OU CCAT. Many of the users pinned it on the focus set, SubDD Dragonite, not being an interesting enough Pokemon to build around. Essentially, it was a reminder that when you vote, you make sure to evaluate whether you really find interest in that set or not.

As for my personal opinion, truly great "underrated" sets are few and far between. Ask yourself honestly when making a "creative" submission: do you think the majority of OU players would be able to execute the set correctly and to its fullest extent? What avenues does the set open up? more than it may close?

Submissions end at 8:00 PM GMT -5 tomorrow!
  • Submissions will be put into a pastebin so people can view easily (i.e. they are the "official submissions"). So if you have any edits to do on the set, do them before the deadline!

Comments on the submissions here shortly.

IMO the sets being submitted now are much better than before
Also like in the previous thread some people criticized the pick of Sheer Force Conk because so many popular teams were made of it so it would be counterproductive and honestly in hindsight I agree. Anyways I can't get to a computer before the deadline so this will be messy but here it is, CM Raikou

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt (or Thunder if we pick Politoed for support)
Signal Beam
Hidden Power Ice

If Raikou needs 4 HP Evs to get an odd number please change the evs for me, I can't remember off the top of my head
Again, on my phone so I'm going to just make some general points instead of thought out paragraphs
Faster than thundy-t, slightly less powerful than thundy-t but can abuse cm
No it doesn't need aura sphere or weather ball to function, you aren't accomplishing anything with those
BoltBeam coverage, with signal beam to deal with celebi and alakazam better
Respectable bulk compared to Jolteon and Thundy-t
Can pressure stall (though most times insignificant)
Can also switch to all-out attacker if cm is switched to volt switch which could form a volt turn core

I think I got everything, again sorry for the messy submission but it's all I can do in the given time

This might be a fun one to use

Lilligant@life orb
Nature:Modest
Trait: Chlorophyll
evs: 20 def, 252 spatk, 236 spe
leaf storm
healing wish
sleep powder
hidden power rock

I always loved this lilligant set since it is probably one of the most flexible chlorophyll sets and to me what makes lilligant stand out in ou. This set is an incredible hard hitter while providing nice support options. It straight up threatens to ohko any opposing weather inducer bar abomasnow. Lilligant Can give a sweeper a second chance, easily aids weather war victories, and to top it off, it can gives us plenty of teammates to use for a sun team. It might be harder to build the team as the starting pokemon, but this set has a big payoff and should not be neglected.

Lilligant@life orb
Nature:Modest
Trait: Chlorophyll
evs: 20 def, 252 spatk, 236 spe
leaf storm
healing wish
sleep powder
hidden power rock
I REALLY don't like this submission not because lilligant isn't good but because it RESTRICTS our teambuilding HEAVILY by forcing us to make a sun team rather than making other kinds of teams.
Also, Lilligant without Quiver Dance is really not good. Just saying.

Durant @ Life Orb
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Thunder Fang

This is the perfect example of a pokemon that can be excelent with support, Faster than a good portion of metagame, (terrakion, keldeo) Sufficient Bulk to Resist a Outrage and Set-up a Hone Claws and The most Pokes That RK Durant are: 1) Pursuit Weak 2) Choice Scarfers, Scarfers are easy to Scout and Pursuit pokemons are common, Also can Kill the best Psychical Walls In OU Like Hippo And Skarm, also with Sr and some residual damage is Uncontereable, The Support Requiered to be effective Durant do that can be a Interesant pokemon to Start in The CCAT

No, not really. The point is to gain a better understand of teambuilding, which volc can for the reasons I pointed out.

Speaking of the project, you may want to read the rules, bud

P.S. Bug Buzz 1hkos?
I'm merely giving my opinions :p with some obvious bad humor mixed in.

Edit: ok the I must've read over the slashing, guess I'll change that then

P.S. Almost any super effective hit KO's ^.^

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Before I add my own set, I have a few comments. consider
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed / Sassy Nature (+Def, -Spd / + SDef, -Spd)
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

Doesn't really need an explanation because everyone knows what this is, I just really like Ferrothorn and it happens to be a very good pokemon. Power whip can replace Spikes if necessary.
HUARGH, I think that you could maybe consider a ChestoRest Ferrothorn if you still wanted to use it over Sableye. While Ferrothorn still isn't a profound and unique Pokemon to focus on, the ChestoRest set is a pretty interesting choice [i'd argue moreso than Sableye], that's pretty effective in this current metagame, since it lets you basically use up Ferrothorn twice on a bulkier offensive team, allowing it to take on multiple dragons, specs attacks, etc, without being warn down for good and opening up a hole later in the match.

ZandGaiaX said:
I'm sorry, but I feel that whilst this set is strong. Wasn't this project meant to give the spotlight to less appreciated/underrated pokémon that can work really well? Volc is strong, we get it by now >: (. Also it gets beaten by my Liepard
To my understanding the CCAT isn't for showcasing underrated and less appreciated Pokemon as it is working with an interesting and potent set which is something that Mike's Volcarona epitomizes. For one thing, Passho Berry Volcarona is seldom seen on the standard ladder itself

and it's also shown to be fairly effective in various world cup and tournament matches, in theory it's just pretty potent because it allows Volcarona to both lure in and set up on one of its enemies in water types, which just improves its overall ability to function as a sweeper and on behalf of its teammates without sacrificing too much.

Soul Fly said:
Another interesting suggestion, but this is better used as a support mon to patch up holes. While reflect type is good for defense, you are still a punching bag, since Dragon type is pretty sub-standard without STAB, and you'd substantial (i.e +2) to do any significant damage (something just not possible consistently in OU), that and the fact that you fall to common cores like Keld-Tar, because Reflect type also causes you to lose your Dragon/Psychic typing which leaves you open to many common OU threats.
I agree with you to an extent, but I think you could build around this pretty effectively if you wanted. I was fucking around with a team that co5ta gave me, on ladder, with Reflect Type Latias and it really becomes an extremely solid win condition if you fuck up in the middle of the match, simply because you can almost bluff a loss/endgame and then steal the match by reflect typing a scizor to tank the outrage from his scarf garchomp or something. Maybe this set isn't the most potent of sweepers, but it definitely has a lot of potential as a win condition if we build around it, and the Reflect type isn't really for "defense" so much as avoiding TTar/Scizor, and grabbing any resistances you need for a sweep late in the game. This set is ridiculously underrated.

Anyways my set is this

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Another underrated but strong set in this metagame, Starmie provides great rapid spin support to any team while having the ability to absolutely fuck any switchin with Analytic and Life Orb, works the best on rain teams, but it can be decent in other weather. This Starmie can work as excellent lure and somewhat of a wallbreaker, hitting stuff like Jellicent, Tyranitar, Celebi, and a bunch of other stuff a lot harder, immediately helping any of its teammates that are walled by would-be-switchins to an Analytic boosted attack. LO Analytic Starmie's element of surprise is really an underrated aspect and it's a pretty strong set overall. Starmie is one of the top Pokemon in the metagame right now. Underrated and definitely viable set that would be cool on the CCAT.

btw I made a new non ms paint logo for this CCAT if you guys want to use it lol

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
The direction of the team definitely won't be too broad to come up with something if we were to go with either of these options. They both have a good amount of Pokemon that can threaten them so finding partners to help deal with said Pokemon will obviously be a good start. Plus, neither of these are likely to fit on to any type of weather besides Sand, and obviously Stall won't be an option either. Also the vast majority of offensive threats in OU can fit into Sand/HO/Balance, unless it's something that only fits into Rain or Sun which you already said is too restrictive. Just seems like a weak reasoning to push those options aside imo.

You misinterpret my statement. I don't have problems with the validity of these pokemon as a submission.

I'm not saying a submission submission is too vague in itself (feel free to check my original comments) and I admit it needs support and all. I was just referring to Halycon Of Light's post of SF Conk being somewhat stale and boring with the novelty having worn off. If that's the case, Terrakion and Garchomp are in the sense much more stale, and everyone who is an OU player worth his salt has used them a lot. And in that case, if these end up being the focus mons, people will stop thinking and fall prey to the same team building drill, of using the same tired overused cores/team archetypes.
If it's something a little underused and not super-duper standard then it will be more interesting IMO instead of you pulling up good terrak cores and trying to get them voted in.

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam

Jynx is a boss. It needs to be used on a rain team, but Jynx is incredibly fun to build around and can really rip opposimg teams apart. The combination of Lovely Kiss, Substitute, and 19% recovery per turn pretty much garantuee set up while disabling a counter in the process via sleep. Ice Beam is really decent mono coverage and +2 or +4 just blasts through Ice resistance.
The real crux of this set is that Dry Skin lets it abuse one of the best moves in the game which is Substitute. Jynx has the unparalleled ability of just spamming subs for scouting, status protection, PP stalling etc. at almost no costs as the lost health will be recovered within one or two turns.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Virizion is a great example of a Pokémon that is both underrated and very viable. Not only does it pack a lot of surprise factor to help it get a CM or two, but it also has the defenses Breloom wishes he had so that he could abuse his interesting defensive typing. A resistance to Water in addition to his base 129 special defense makes him a great rain check. Actually, that reminds me, Life Orb Calm Mind Virizion can OHKO all the weather starters at +1 after rocks! This is a really important characteristic of Virizion, because it means that no matter what type of weather you choose, Virizion can be put on it as a counter to the other weathers, usually without them even knowing! This set is particularly good for this project because it gives us a lot of freedom to choose almost any team style we want, since it can fit on bulky offense, balanced offense, hyper offense, rain balanced, sun balanced, etc. Giga Drain is the Obvious STAB, and lets him recover off damage from Life Orb. It's also your main move to hit most things on rain teams like Tentacruel and Keldeo (also, it's a full stop to most Keldeo, which is always a plus). Focus Blast, though unreliable, is still a really powerful move, and Virizion is one of the only Pokémon that uses it that receives STAB. It kills off Ferrothorn at +1, as well as killing Ninetales, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Skarmory, and Abomasnow. Hidden Power Ice is mostly for Dragons that resist both Giga Drain and Focus Blast.
Lati@s are probably Virizion's biggest threats, since they can come in on a CM or any other move besides HP Ice (which is a 2HKO after Rocks even at +0, so they can only reliably switch in once) and OHKO with Psyshock. In fact, anything with Psyshock is a problem. Pretty much any Scarfed physical attacker is also going to be a problem for Virizion since it has absolutely terrible defense. Strong priority users are also a problem, especially Mamoswine and Scizor, which both do a huge chunk with Ice Shard and Bullet Punch, respectively (though neither can OHKO, and Mamoswine just becomes free HP afterwards). However, I think these problems can all easily be dealt with if we build a good team (which I think we will), and I think that Virizion's shortcomings are eclipsed by its advantages and untapped potential.

PLUS LOOK AT THOSE GODDAMN BOOTS. VIRIZION IS A CLASSY MOTHERFUCKER AND OUR TEAM SHOULD SCREAM CLASS.

After much debate with myself, I landed on the same candidate for my own nom, Landorus-T. So I am reposting my nom from the last thread. I decided upon this criteria my own nomination and what makes a good nomination from others:
  • The nomination finds itself "weather neutral" and can fit on most kinds of weathers or weatherless. In general the set can fit on a wide variety of teams.
  • The nomination will not shoehorn us into putting a specific type of support in latter in the team. In paticular, I don't like the idea knowing down the road we WILL need a Rapid Spinner, a weather starter, whatever.
  • The starting Pokemon should be able to add something of its own to the team, not just be a stellar sweeper. This could be resists or a move that can be seen as a type of support. My other two ideas, Breloom and Zapdos, would accomplish this with sleep and baton pass respectively.

Landorus (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

EV's live two Stone Edges from Scarf Terrakion and outspeed base 70's.

Double Dance Landorus-T is an extremely underrated offensive threat in the metagame and is able to fit on all kinds of teams: balanced/offensive sand, sun, weather less HO, and more. Landorus-T is able to both sweep the offensive side of the metagame with Rock Polish and open up huge holes in defensive teams with Swords Dance. What is great about Landorus-T is if we run our own weather and if the opponent traps our weather starter with Dugtrio, we can threaten a counter sweep easily with Landorus-T. Double Dance Landorus-T has a huge surprise factor behind it because most opponents just expect the standard SR pivot set. Lastly, Intimidate has great utility by impeding a sweep from physical sweepers against our team. Overall, Landorus-T is an underrated, yet effective, offensive threat that can fit on many teams and is what I beleive deserves to be the starting point of this CCAT.

How much experience is there with this Pokemon? Double Dance Landorus-T is one of the rarer offensive threats in the metagame, but it is without good reason. The double dance faces competition from the SR setter, which is a great pivot for many teams, for a slot. But the double dance set is as good, if not better, than the SR set. I have used the double dance set before and I can tell you that with additional pressure on Skarmory, Landorus-T can guarantee a sweep.
edit: setting up on one of the top threats in the meta (terrakion) is nice too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)