OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't have IRC access right now (3DS has bad internet) so I'm posting this here if that's all right.

I've spent the last few hours putting together a Sun team, and while it isn't complete on PS yet I think I've got it down:
Life Orb Ninetales (Fire Blast, Energy Ball, Roar / Protect, Pain Split)
Scarf Jirachi (Iron Head, Ice Punch, U-turn, Healing Wish / Fire Punch)
LO Latias (Draco Meteor, Hidden Power Fighting, Roost, Psyshock?)
Landorus-T (EQ, Stone Edge, U-turn, Stealth Rock)
LO Sawsbuck (Substitute, Horn Leech, ???, Swords Dance / ???)
CB Bluff Scizor (SD, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower / Pursuit)
Right now I'm seeing weaknesses to Gengar, Mamoswine, Landorus-I (slightly), and Volcarona. Is there anything I'm missing? In addition, is Scizor really the best option to patch up the Gengar/Mamo weaknesses? Even with Substitute on Sawsbuck, I'm afraid one of those Pokemon will just run right through my team. Any otner suggestions before I hit the road with this team?

I don't have IRC access right now (3DS has bad internet) so I'm posting this here if that's all right.

I've spent the last few hours putting together a Sun team, and while it isn't complete on PS yet I think I've got it down:
Life Orb Ninetales (Fire Blast, Energy Ball, Roar / Protect, Pain Split)
Scarf Jirachi (Iron Head, Ice Punch, U-turn, Healing Wish / Fire Punch)
LO Latias (Draco Meteor, Hidden Power Fighting, Roost, Psyshock?)
Landorus-T (EQ, Stone Edge, U-turn, Stealth Rock)
LO Sawsbuck (Substitute, Horn Leech, ???, Swords Dance / ???)
CB Bluff Scizor (SD, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower / Pursuit)
Right now I'm seeing weaknesses to Gengar, Mamoswine, Landorus-I (slightly), and Volcarona. Is there anything I'm missing? In addition, is Scizor really the best option to patch up the Gengar/Mamo weaknesses? Even with Substitute on Sawsbuck, I'm afraid one of those Pokemon will just run right through my team. Any otner suggestions before I hit the road with this team?
While unorthodox, you might want to try Bronzong>Scizor on your team. Bronzong provides a safety net against all the things you mentioned and opposing Landorus-T. Speaking of Landorus-T, now that Bronzong can use SR, you should probably change it to a double dancer set in order to soften things up for your other teammates. Change Ninetales to a more specially defensive set with Roar to alleviate a Volcarona weakness. Lastly don't use Sawsbuck since you are weak to opposing Skarmory! Standard Venasaur will do just fine and is the best Sun sweeper of them all. Personally I would put a Rapid Spinner over Jirachi, but you could try Scarf Heatran or a Heatran with Sunny Day.

edit: Revon outside of the Offensive Pivot set on site there is no defensive Landorus-T set. Outside of RestTalk, which I think is Lando-T's cooler sets, he does not have a defensive set.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The defensive landorus-t set is known as "offensive pivot". The given evs let it take the attacks it needs already while giving enough power to take out the treats it switches in on.

The defensive landorus-t set is known as "offensive pivot". The given evs let it take the attacks it needs already while giving enough power to take out the treats it switches in on.
Yeah, thats the one on the site(Adamant nature), but I think there's one even more defensive using a Bold nature, I'd like to know that set

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It may be some kind of "gimmick" set, and it doesn't actually help you live anything iirc, but I would guess such a set would just be maxed HP and defense with bold, then

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Yeah, thats the one on the site(Adamant nature), but I think there's one even more defensive using a Bold nature, I'd like to know that set
Its simple really, runs max HP and 148 speed EVS to outspeed Jolly Lucario, with the rest of the EVS dropped in Def with an Impish nature. However, the offensive pivot set is more preferable overall. However, that's the set if you want to run it.

The very defensive one is just max HP and def with an Impish nature. Honestly very basic.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I have been using the following set with great success:

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 60 Atk / 160 Def / 88 Spd
Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

It has enough attack to strike a 2HKO on Offensive Scizor while outspeeding Breloom and deal some good damage with HP Ice. Ah, and don't use Bold :]

GatoDelFuego

Beat up attacks the opponent up to six times for every pokemon in the user's party not fainted or afflicted by a status condition. The formula for each hit is (user's attack)/10 + 5. This means a pokemon with 372 attack (weavile) would be hitting with a 42.2 base power move that can hit up to six times, which is pretty powerful. However, it's usually not used because of its unreliability; having all six of your pokemon healthy is a tall order and there are few viable users of the move.

Will this serperior be banished to ubers?
Trait:Contrary
Nature:Timid
Item:Life orb
1-Dragon pulse
2-Leaf storm
3-Hp fire
4-Giga drain
Evs:4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Switch to a pokemon that can't threaten you,leaf storm,fire a +2 dragon pulse/Hp fire to get rid of your check and then spam leaf storm and sweep their whole team.The only counter to this set is heatren.
So,will it?

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Will this serperior be banished to ubers?
Trait:Contrary
Nature:Timid
Item:Life orb
1-Dragon pulse
2-Leaf storm
3-Hp fire
4-Giga drain
Evs:4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Switch to a pokemon that can't threaten you,leaf storm,fire a +2 dragon pulse/Hp fire to get rid of your check and then spam leaf storm and sweep their whole team.The only counter to this set is heatren.
So,will it?
Contrary Serperior hasn't been released yet, so no, you can't use that set.

GatoDelFuego

No, because as you said it's hard countered by heatran, as well as tons of defensive steel-types, grass types, pretty much any fire-type....contrary serperior isn't all that powerful. It just gets a free nasty plot boost every time it uses leaf storm, but serperior only has a base 75 special attack. Imagine serperior using a nasty plot boost in place of leaf storm, it would not be unstoppable at all.

Leaf storm is a 140 BP move and it's no joke.The only common pokemon who can take a leaf storm on the switch and take a 2 after that are Scizor,Dragonite,Skarmory,Ferrothorn,Salamance,Forretress and probably lati@s.
Assuming after they switch to his leaf storm,Scizor,Ferrothorn,Forretress and Skarmory will fall to a 2 HP fire.
Dragonite,Lati@s and Salamance will also fall to a 2 max SAtk life orb dragon pulse.That's it.
Serperior is bulky enough to take a hit and fast enough to outspeed many pokemon.Leaf storm is A GODDAMN 140 BP MOVE THAT WILL GIVE YOU A NASTY PLOT BOOST.That's so broken.

Leaf storm is a 140 BP move and it's no joke.The only common pokemon who can take a leaf storm on the switch and take a 2 after that are Scizor,Dragonite,Skarmory,Ferrothorn,Salamance,Forretress and probably lati@s.
Assuming after they switch to his leaf storm,Scizor,Ferrothorn,Forretress and Skarmory will fall to a 2 HP fire.
Dragonite,Lati@s and Salamance will also fall to a 2 max SAtk life orb dragon pulse.That's it.
Serperior is bulky enough to take a hit and fast enough to outspeed many pokemon.Leaf storm is A GODDAMN 140 BP MOVE THAT WILL GIVE YOU A NASTY PLOT BOOST.That's so broken.
Not really. Its predictable and is easily stopped by any bulky 'mon, to be honest. Serperior will always have to Leaf Storm on the first turn, otherwise it won't be any threat at all. Even then, +2 attacks still doesn't hurt that much, apart from Leaf Storm. Moreover, Serperior is fast, but it doesn't have any way to boost its speed, and thus will get run down by a large number of Scarfers. Serperior is decent, but hardly broken.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I completely agree with the above posters, and also I'd like to add that Serperior will most likely get to UU because there are much less stress in that tier, and Superior is on the faster end of things. It would be a great addition to the tier, but it doesn't have the power or coverage to be OU, much less be banned.

I think many people will use him by the time he's released because of his amazing sweeping potentials,and it naturally makes him OverUsed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)