OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Froslass, though being UU, has been in my experience an amazing Spiker that has Ice Beam, Taunt, and Destiny Bond to screw stuff up. In OU itself, Spikers are defensive in order to set up layers consistently throughout a match. Roserade also deserves a mention thanks to good speed and decent offensive stats while having access to T spikes and Spikes. Apart from these two, no other offensive spiker comes to my mind atm.

I've been using a bulky Gyarados with Taunt, but I wonder if I shouldn't be using the more offensive one (not sub, the Life Orb one on the analysis). So far Skarmory have just been using Brave Bird to kill bulky Gyarados. Am I using it wrong? What are the pros of using the Taunt Gyarados over the more offensive one? I've never even seen a bulky Gyarados with Taunt being used in the RMT section. Is it still viable?

Are there any spikers in OU that are a credible offensive threat or maintain momentum in some way?
Accelgor is an offensive spiker, with it's high speed, acces to U-Turn and decent SpA it might do the job you're looking for.

Other than that Roserade comes to mind and maybe Cloyster/Omastar, altho all of them have better options than being an offensive spiker.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
I've been using a bulky Gyarados with Taunt, but I wonder if I shouldn't be using the more offensive one (not sub, the Life Orb one on the analysis). So far Skarmory have just been using Brave Bird to kill bulky Gyarados. Am I using it wrong? What are the pros of using the Taunt Gyarados over the more offensive one? I've never even seen a bulky Gyarados with Taunt being used in the RMT section. Is it still viable?
When i use stall and i see gyarados i always try to phaze it with my skarmory, i dont know if its just me. However, you should just use the more offensive one in my opinion. His ability to taunt wall isnt that much good right now, just consider that a lot of bulky water can just scald burn you, so a sub version is probably better. Overall taunt isnt that effective because walls in general and stall teams are very little used.

What's a good Nintendo wifi-legal Pokemon that can replace a Kyurem-B that's currently being used as a Substitute attacker?

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Ice Beam
- HP Fire
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute

That's the current set I'm running.

dcae

plaza athénée
Hydreigon does an amazing job as a mixed sub attacker, and its WiFi legal. Better speed albeit less bulk and attack stats, that would be the poke I would recommend over Sub Kyurem B.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon does indeed make a great sub attacker, as does Volcarona or Landorus or the latis. I'm not sure if the last few are wifi legal, though. Toxicroak is a great one if you're using a rain team, where victini or darmanitan may work if you're running sun. Terrakion also works well.

Landorus and Lati@s are both wifi legal I believe, I'll check out sets for them thanks!

What kind of mixed sub set would you recommend for a Hydreigon? I'm thinking Substitute, Dragon Pulse, Superpower and Fire Blast? Unsure about nature though and EV spread...

LilOu

PO poopyhead
The set goes like this:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb or Leftovers
Rash nature | 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Substitute | Superpower | Dragon Pulse | Fire Blast or Roost

The set goes like this:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb or Leftovers
Rash nature | 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Substitute | Superpower | Dragon Pulse | Fire Blast or Roost
Just a minor note, I'd recommend Mild over Rash simply because the types Hydreigon is resistant to -Ghost, Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Dark- are usually special, and the types its weak to are largely physical.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i strongly disagree. like you said, the hits you resist are by and large special attacks, so despite the sdef drop it's still not gonna be doing much. however, by running rash instead of mild you can survive jolly breloom's life orb mach punch 87.5% of the time, adamant breloom's life orb mach punch 37.5% of the time, and iron plate scizor's +2 adamant bullet punch 100% of the time. those are all extremely relevant calcs and surviving each of those moves can often make the difference between a win and a loss. other assorted attacks like adamant life orb lucario's +2 extremespeed and choice band landorus-t's u-turn can also be survived by running rash instead of mild. honestly it's just more useful, and overall, physical bulk is far more important on hydreigon than special bulk.

I've been thinking and I've asked around and I haven't gotten any answer. Why isn't Colbur Berry Azelf used more? I feel like it would be a solid lead with Tyranitar being used so much.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

dcae

plaza athénée
I think that the reason it isn't used so much is because the only thing in OU really using Dark STAB is Tyranitar. This means that against the other roughly 80% of teams you're facing on the ladder, that Berry is practically useless. On the other hand, Normal Gem Azelf with Explosion almost guarantees a kill, and the LO sets allow it to deal heavy damage to other leads and Ferrothorn. Since Colbur blocks damage from only Ttar, it doesn't have the same overall utility.

By giving speed evs, what speed tiers does Adamant Scizor break?

I want the answer in the way like 176 speed evs out speeding defensive rotom wash.

Well, you can outpace slow Magnezones, slow Rotom-Ws, slow Brelooms and slow Heatrans.

Magnezones are pretty simple; either they are Modest and slow (they are faster than CB-Scizor usually) or Timid and faster than Scizor. With 216 EVs you will be outspeed Modest 252 Magnezone, but they usually don't go that far anyway unless they are Timid.
Against Brelooms, again, they dictate who goes first. Most of them have 252, so you won't be able to outpace them while it is likely that you beat the slow ones.
Heatrans are a pain because they are the lead of the speed creep. You need 100 plus the amount of speed Heatran has in order to outspeed it.
Honorable mention to Xatu, but this one does not need much speed to outpace any Adamant Scizor and survive a +2 Bullet Punch while it retaliates with Heat Wave.

All in all it is not recommended to save in speed when your foes have the bigger stick. It is the god stat.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I've been thinking and I've asked around and I haven't gotten any answer. Why isn't Colbur Berry Azelf used more? I feel like it would be a solid lead with Tyranitar being used so much.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Colbur Azelf was only really useful in DPP because it alowed you to win against lead machamp wich was an extremely common anti-lead in Gen 4 however with Team-Preview the whole lead metagame disapeared and dedicated leads don't exist anymore (at least not to the extent they did in Gen 4) and nobody ever uses Machamp in OU Colbur berry doesn't really helps against TTar anyway because Azelf can't really damage TTar and Focus Sash is alot more useful against everything else and still alows you to get up SR 100% of the time.

haunter

Banned deucer.
how viable in ou is rock polish boltbeam regice?
(quote me in answer please, its hard to navigate back to this post)
Not viable at all. Bad defensive typing (Scizor is still first in usage and Jirachi walls it all the day), horrible speed and only average sp. attack. There are way better rock polish\agility sweepers in OU.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
how viable in ou is rock polish boltbeam regice?
(quote me in answer please, its hard to navigate back to this post)
Regice has a weakness to SR, along with an average Special Attack. It's also weak to common attacks that are used in OU, such as Fighting, Rock, Fire, and Steel. It's walled hard by common Steel types and there are much better options for a fast special sweeper, including Starmie, Keldeo, RP Landorus-I, and Lati@s.

Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)