P90X Thread

does it work for underweight people who need to gain enough weight before the age of 18 otherwise they'll be considered unhealthy and go on a special diet where they can't eat salad or something and take blood tests and shots like every day
wait they actually do that

oh fuck I need to get on a weight program or something

tbh P90X is garbage. So many workout routines are so much better. An hour and a half in the gym 3-4 days a week will do more than an hour every day with P90X. MUCH more.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Stocking up on Vitamin Waters (somehow) since they at least have something going for them other than flavor.
ew ew ew ew ew ew ew

Get rid of that shit man, it's straight sugar. There isn't an ounce of healthy fluid in that bottle.

- Recommended dumbells to get.
Powerblocks. I just bought them for this second P90x tour, and they're awesome so far. They cost less than the Bowflex adjustable bells and work much better.

- Yoga Mat: Yes or no? I have carpet in the basement and upstairs (basement would be the place I'd like to do it, but if all else fails I can do it upstairs). I'm guessing it's far from necessary.
Yep. I do everything on carpet and I've never had any problems. I can see how they would be useful if you have hardwood floors, or if your knees aren't in good shape, but I don't use them. Shit's expensive, too.

- Anything to help numb the soreness. Allow me to recall that I work at a job that requires me to stand up all the time. I'm guessing a shitload of Protein and Potassium would help (Potassium mostly for random cramp attacks). Anything else perhaps?
Nothing will help except continuing the exercises. When you just start P90x, you're usually a pretty stagnant person, and there is no easy way to get your body used to it, rather you're thrown right into the fire. Just keep doing the exercises every day and the lactic acid will work itself out of your muscles gradually, and by the end of week two you'll barely notice it anymore.

As for the whole "do pictures and what not", I'll join up. I know I look ugly as sin, but I can do a weekly progress and what not I think. I mean, anything to help me keep the motivation going and all.
DEFINITELY do this. I thought it was silly at first, and at 30 days I wasn't hugely impressed with the changes... but look at the pic I posted. You're going to want to take pics so that you can compare when you're done!

So my question is to anyone who might know if I'm better off just going with straight and standard weight training at a gym or would something like P90x?
One thing you will certainly get from P90x is muscle endurance, which is very important. And honestly, whether you want to get big or just toned is up to you. Just like working out by yourself in a weight room, you can put more weight on the dumbbells and do less reps to get more bulk. The only thing P90x WON'T give you is huge pecs. There is no bench pressing, and the only flys you do are in a pushup stance, so you will not be growing a huge chest, but rather doing as many reps as possible.

From what I heard, Muscle Milk and/or Gatorade is the stuff to drink if you plan on working out with P90X.

I personally don't work out, thanks to my amazing metabolism, but everyone I know would always drink Gatorade if they were going to do anything that required physical activity.
Gatorade/Powerade/energy drinks are just as sugary as anything else, I stay away from those. I do the exercises with a tall glass of cold water nearby, and that's it. After the workout, I drink a protein shake, usually with some peanut butter added for extra protein, but never anything sugary.

does it work for underweight people who need to gain enough weight before the age of 18 otherwise they'll be considered unhealthy and go on a special diet where they can't eat salad or something and take blood tests and shots like every day
Do what popemobile said. If you follow the P90x diet guide, it's written for people who are looking to slim down, not grow. If you're super skinny to begin with, eat a shitton of lean protein during P90x (or whatever workout regimen you begin).

but yeah I agree that diet is incredibly important for losing weight. You can do all the cardio in the world and still gain weight if you eat too much. I'd still put strength training as more important than dieting but it's definitely second
So true. Like I said before, I didn't follow any diet guide because I love food way too much. Had I actually gone 100% and eaten the way they tell you to, I would have been ridiculously cut.

The only difference I see is that you grew about an inch and you got a tan. Thats it.
It was actually a burn, and it was only on one arm. Stupid October Bills game.

I know what you mean, but a big part of it was being limited by the dumbbells I was using (it was impossible to change the weight between exercises, so I couldn't add weight when I needed to). My shoulders and arms got a ton more toned and my midsection definitely flattened out, but I really don't want to post the front picture because even after everything, I don't want to put a topless pic of myself on the interwebs.

I wasn't really going for size, just fitness, and I was in the best shape of my life. And I should also point out that my legs aren't included in these pictures, there was a HUGE change there. Last, I'm not flexing in either one, those were natural poses.

tbh P90X is garbage. So many workout routines are so much better. An hour and a half in the gym 3-4 days a week will do more than an hour every day with P90X. MUCH more.
Sure, but not everyone has the time to drive 15 minutes to the gym, spend 90 minutes lifting, then drive 15 minutes home. I do this shit in my living room and get exactly what I need. Additionally, I don't have to pay monthly fees to work out. Could I be bigger if I went to the gym? Absolutely. But it's just not in the cards for me right now, I have law school and a job and a life.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As soon as I save up enough I'm going to get this started. I need to do it before my wedding/honeymoon, which is in mid June, so I hope to get started beginning of march at the latest. I downloaded a torrent for it, but it's so massive and there are so many small files I can't figure out how to properly burn it to DVD so I'm just going to buy it. Unless there is a smogoner here willing to sell me a used set for a discount, I could pay Paypal for it :)

On fluid intake, I will add my support to the straight water crowd. Avoid those sugary drinks to maximize results. I know those vitamin waters and gatorades say they offer you nutrients and electrolytes, but you can get all the vitamins you need from the food you eat. Large quantities of water would be your best method. Trust me you may think you need flavor, but once you've done it for a while you will discover that there is nothing more refreshing than chugging cool water after a workout.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've thought about using P90x on and off for many months now. Anyways I was always a fan of whey protein for things like this, though I'm more of a hardgainer, so trying to lose weight has never been something I've really tried to do, so I'm sure what works for me probably will not work as well for you....

Anyways how much do you spend on p90x?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
K, Vitamin Water is obviously ditched. I don't think going for VW Zero would help either, so I'm just going to pass on it altogether. I guess the Calorie content was a bit higher than I thought (I looked at it and guessed at a can of soda, but yeah). I knew to avoid Gatorade and whatnot to begin with.

Glancing at a diet plan... bah... well I guess I can afford to cut down on foods. Nothing too difficult, and the worst I'd seriously pig out on would be BDubs, and all I'd have to do is avoid it. Chicken sounds like the best protein to get, then maybe the Peanut Butter just to help add flavor to the Whey Protein. I say hell no to vegetarian, sorry. I'll quit pop, but the meat? Nah.

The Power blocks seem nice... until I look at the cost. Which makes me cringe. A lot. If there's a way to do payments on the things then maybe I'd go for it. I don't see payment options on their website except flat pay. Doesn't help that I'm kind of scrapping for hours and I had to use my savings to buffer my transmission. I guess I can afford the 20 lb one in the end... though of course getting two is... gah.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Anyways how much do you spend on p90x?
I think it's close to $200, but my roommate already had the DVDs when I moved in, so I spent nothing. I should also point out that they're burned, so he also spent nothing. Just download the torrents. One time I went away for a weekend and put the 700mb files on my netbook and did the Yoga and Kenpo in my hotel room, it's super easy.

Chicken sounds like the best protein to get, then maybe the Peanut Butter just to help add flavor to the Whey Protein. I say hell no to vegetarian, sorry. I'll quit pop, but the meat? Nah.
Chicken breast is my main protein meal, but I've really been meaning to get into eating more fish. That truly is the leanest protein out there, and if you cook it right it's delicious.

The Power blocks seem nice... until I look at the cost. Which makes me cringe. A lot. If there's a way to do payments on the things then maybe I'd go for it. I don't see payment options on their website except flat pay. Doesn't help that I'm kind of scrapping for hours and I had to use my savings to buffer my transmission. I guess I can afford the 20 lb one in the end... though of course getting two is... gah.
Keep in mind they go from 15lbs up to 50lbs. You might not need that much weight yet, I've already been through the program once. But yeah, I got mine from Dick's for $300, and I got the stand free with the purchase. Yay for using school loan money on things other than school.

idk, i've never actually tried p90x but I know people that did and they never actually made impressive results. The whole ''build muscle and lose fat'' is nearly impossible and a bit too naive tbh. the best way to build muscle is with numerous cycles of bulking and cutting. p90x is ineffective way to add some mass, but of course, if you're planning to become healthier and don't care about adding muscle mass, p90x could work. but still, if you can afford a gym membership, then definitely choose to go the closest gym.

as for the drink dilemna, driking something like gatorade isnt something i usually do unless i miss my pre workout meal. having a solid pre workout meal with a lot of carbs should give you enough energy anyway, and you can avoid all the caffeine and other bad stuff that are usually in energy drinks

I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh about 160lb.. so yeah super skinny. I'm really intrigued by the GOMAD thing, it seems something I could do with my limited free time and love for the white stuff. I've been reading up on the site that popemobile linked and it seems doable... I go through about 6 pints of semi skimmed a day as it is so pushing it up another 2 pints should be within my grasp..just gotta buy whole milk instead and cut down on some of the crap I eat. May or may not do a before/after....

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it seems something I could do with my limited free time and love for the white stuff.
I lol'd here.

@Nosferato - Anyone who is touting P90x as a way to gain muscle mass is misinformed. The purpose of the program is not to gain mass, but to gain muscular endurance and potentially lose weight. The weight loss is variable depending on how strictly you adhere to the diet program, but the overwhelming success of P90x lies in the endurance building. P90x is an outstanding program in that regard, but I don't think it's being advertised as a way to gain muscle mass.

Alright some stuff I know about! ALL the stuff u see on tv and the raido is crap! The only thing you can do for being fat is diet! Start slow! Your chaning your life not your panties it takes time! So, start by cutting out the sodas! wait till a month after then cut down on the simple carbs (sugary foods and processed foods). If your body fat is over 20% eat simple carbs after workouts ONLY and no more than 35g. Thats enough to get the inslin going without over doing it. Eat lean meat and alot of it! If you are skinny like 15% bf or lower eat 2g per lbs of body weight. If your on the chunker side 16+ eat 1g. Drink plenty of h20 H20 is vital to gain of lbm and decreasing fat mass. I would recomend a gallon a day. Dont forget Omega fatty acids! In beans, nuts, meats etc...

What about supps RP? Well, those come after you have gotten the hang of things.. If you want to use them off the bat then go ahead. But becarefull there are LEGAL Disigner Steroids and LEGAL Catabolics that if not used properly can ruin your health.

What supplemnts do I recomend? Almost everything from USPLabs except Pink Magic i would only recomend it for people 21 and up. X-Factor Advanced from Molecular Nutrition is a natural safe anabolic promoter. O yea dont foget CEE or CMH.

What about stimulates for appatite suppresstion? 10mg 1 3-dimethylamylamine AND/OR 200mg caffeine is a good one. I would stack with Yohimbe HCL 1mcg at the start though. Make sure your heart is in good shape ie have it checked out buy a doctor. (most dite aids contain these substances or simular substances, if they work)

What if i dont want to take Yohimbe it sounds dangours. Well do not take the stimulates on the weekends. This will allow your beta NE receptors to upregulate.

FINALY, I AM NOT A DOCTOR, BLA BLA BLA....

You do not need to use a yoga mat on carpet, you absolutely need it on a hard floor. Unless you have some incredibly thin carpet (which some cheap apartments could I guess), then the carpet should actually be more supportive than a mat is to begin with.

diet: eggs, tuna/fish, skinless chicken, lean beef, cottage cheese, unsalted nuts/low sodium nut varieties, milk, protein shakes, oatmeal, whole grain foods: bread, pasta, potatoes, rice (avoid white rice, white bread and white pasta), fruits for simple carbs, veggies

30% of your diet in carbs, 20% in fat, 50% in protein

depending on body weight determine caloric maintenance: ~500- if losing weight and ~500+ for bulking

overestimate calories when losing weight; underestimate when bulking

give yourself two cheat days a week, and make your cheat days coincide with drinking days

ta-da the secrets to nutrition

you should ease yourself into it though, and don't kill yourself if you ate a bit more carbs than you like. it's good to know what to do even if you don't plan on doing it anyway (lol)

oh and... LIFT

peace

diet: eggs, tuna/fish, skinless chicken, lean beef, cottage cheese, unsalted nuts/low sodium nut varieties, milk, protein shakes, oatmeal, whole grain foods: bread, pasta, potatoes, rice (avoid white rice, white bread and white pasta), fruits for simple carbs, veggies

depending on body weight determine caloric maintenance: ~500- if losing weight and ~500+ for bulking

give yourself two cheat days a week, and make your cheat days coincide with drinking days

The best part about following this diet is that after you build muscle using it, you can pretty much eat whatever the hell you want and never gain a pound. It actually becomes harder to gain weight than it does to lose weight, which kinda sucks for bulking but whatever.

oh and... LIFT

peace
this

PEACE

The best part about following this diet is that after you build muscle using it, you can pretty much eat whatever the hell you want and never gain a pound. It actually becomes harder to gain weight than it does to lose weight, which kinda sucks for bulking but whatever.

this

PEACE

LMFAOROTF

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will eventually go to lifting. This is mainly for the "dieting" process so to speak, then I can continue toning further (or bulking up) with lifting. And I dunno who it was that told me to try Crystal Light but whoever it was, Imma smash them to bits since the sodium made me just want more water. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that the water has done well so far. Just drinking it as is (cold). Even when I thought I needed it for something like... a sandwich it satisfied me just fine. Ah, the simplicity of life.

I think the only question I have left is if to consider using Vitamins, especially once I hit the lifting process... though I probably should reserve anything with regards to lifting in the physical fitness thread. Eh, maybe.

Seems simple to work with. Not a whole lot on there that I really hate (well maybe Milk... but I guess I could use Yogurt for a substitute if I must or just try Strawberry Milk).

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm following what I can, and I really appreciate the help.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
For the time being, definitely get some fish oil capsules. I once found some that were lemon flavored, and that made them almost bearable, but you definitely needs those omega fats in your diet.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
For the time being, definitely get some fish oil capsules. I once found some that were lemon flavored, and that made them almost bearable, but you definitely needs those omega fats in your diet.
^ This, but just beware when you have to burp. You will clear the room.

fyi cutting before bulking when you first start is a terrible idea.

If you bulk first you not only will look much better with less fat lost, but when you first start weightlifting you will simultaeously burn fat and build muscle ONLY for the first two or three weeks. So you're missing out on that.

And once you have a good muscle foundation your bmr gets a lot higher so your deficit becomes what is currently your maintenance. In other words, once you get muscular, you basically lose fat for free.

If you bulk first you not only will look much better with less fat lost, but when you first start weightlifting you will simultaeously burn fat and build muscle ONLY for the first two or three weeks. So you're missing out on that.

And once you have a good muscle foundation your bmr gets a lot higher so your deficit becomes what is currently your maintenance. In other words, once you get muscular, you basically lose fat for free.
absolutely this, which is why I always say lift first, cut later

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane

Thirded. Much easier to build muscle when you have the mass to begin with. A certain degree of cutting will occur naturally through your workouts (provided you aren't loading up on proteins and carbs to do massive muscle building).

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Craigslist? I dunno. You're going to drop at least $200 no matter what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)