1. The moderators of this forum are Jellicent and Lutra.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

All Gens Past Gens Research Thread

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Jellicent, May 15, 2014.

1. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

wait what, where does that come from? o.o

EDIT: Whatever that is, it's half wrong. I can still drop Alakazam's special with Psychic or poison Pinsir with Twineedle.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. trc

trc mon frère
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i believe it is from pokemon stadium. someone posted it on irc before.
  3. cookie

cookie Firebot Development Lad
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

<cookie> jesus shit on a stick
    <cookie> it works
    <cookie> i hacked icy wind to freeze and changed its type to poison
    <cookie> it froze swinub, but not tentacruel
    Karxrida and Disaster Area like this.
  4. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Crystal used Metagame Break!
    It's super effective!
  5. Floppy

Floppy
    is a Pre-Contributor

this is still blowing my mind. holy shit.
  6. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

I think you mean they paralyse the target. I've never been burned by any of these moves.
  7. froggy25

froggy25 Bye RNGmon
    is a Pokemon Researcher

It can, just checked it. d:6131 (freeze) is called even against Ice Pokémon.
    Joim likes this.
  8. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Copy/paste rip. Fixed.

Yeah, check out battle command 0xac, which corresponds to tri attack. Battle command 0x18 will be called for a freeze. Notice how Function36e5b would only prevent ice pokemon from being frozen, excluding the normal type from the check.

While we are at it, it seems that freeze can't be inflicted under sunny weather. I personally didn't know that.
  9. cookie

cookie Firebot Development Lad
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i also remember that a pokemon will never thaw in rain, but that might just be me making up a corollary to the sunny day behaviour
    edit: nope
  10. Crystal_

Crystal_

It seems not. Only sun/freeze. The weather check only exists for the freeze effect.
  11. Joim

Joim Pixels matter
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Hey, does tri-attack freeze ice-types then?
  12. Crystal_

Crystal_

Yes, and burn fire types
    SnorlaxMonster and Disaster Area like this.
  13. Joim

Joim Pixels matter
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Crystal_ and Disaster Area like this.
  14. Zowayix

Zowayix

Wait, huh? I thought the whole mechanic screwup only applies to burn, freeze, and paralysis (the last for Gen I only). Twinneedle should be able to poison everything that isn't Poison-type in both generations.
  15. Crystal_

Crystal_

Whoops, must have read posion-types. The correct answer for bug-types is no.
    SnorlaxMonster, Zowayix and breh like this.
  16. Crystal_

Crystal_

Updated my research post with Conversion and Haze. Personally, there was some stuff about Haze I didn't know exactly. Not sure if sims implement it perfectly due to all the substatuses involved. I can aslo smell some glitches involving freeze/sleep + hyperbeam/charging move + haze. Will investigate a bit.
    Joim and Disaster Area like this.
  17. Disaster Area

Disaster Area formerly Piexplode

I guess you ought to investigate Rage too if you haven't yet (just off of the info from DragonFlyCave).. sounds like you're doing a fantastic job though :)
  18. Crystal_

Crystal_

I've updated the post with the bug; I tested this stuff in the game and it confirmed my initial thoughts (will make a video tomorrow about this glitch just because). Here's the bug:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    xJoelituh and froggy25 like this.
  19. Crystal_

Crystal_

Okay, this bug is as hilarious as it sounds, but it's true, incredibly:

If a Pokemon that has just used Hyper Beam and has yet to recharge (that is, its Recharge status is active) is targeted with a sleep inducing move, any other status it may already have will be ignored (paralysis/burn/freeze/poison) and sleep will be induced regardless. In addition, the sleep inducing move can NEVER miss (not even from a "255").

Will make a video soon.
    Nails, Pocket, peere and 26 others like this.
  20. trc

trc mon frère
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

lol you're insane, nice work finding all of this :]
    totoTavros, Joim and Crystal_ like this.
  21. Joim

Joim Pixels matter

Holy shit I'm so implementing that lol
  22. Crystal_

Crystal_

23. Crystal_

Crystal_

Update in regards to the Haze glitch. It also applies to Hyper Beam during link battles, but only for freeze, NOT for sleep.
  24. Royal Flush

Royal Flush in brazil rain
    is a Past WCoP Champion

Out of curiosity, does spd/atk lost from para/burn remains after the mon gets the sleep?
  25. Crystal_

Crystal_

Of course. To keep things clear, there's nothing in the game that "reverts" the par/brn stat drops, unless we are talking about reseting or recalculating the stat(s), which occurs after using Haze or after a stat up/down move that affects the stat in question is used, respectively.
    froggy25 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)