Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

I took my first shot at a half marathon a couple weeks ago- worst mistake of my life. My legs were fried after 8 miles, I ostridge ran for 4 and limped the last one. I've never had to use so much willpower to do anything, and didn't have any left for the rest of the week.

I don't know if I need help or just to wait for another few months of running to take over, but how was everyone's experiences building up to big races? I had never run more than 9 miles at a time before the race and only occasionally took off days. I try to do some sort of cardio everyday but this usually doesn't ever seem to let my legs fully rebuild. To just get as much endurance as possible what's a good way to manage constant cardio + hard worked but rested legs?

Sorry, but i am going to have to contest this. in the past it was popularly believed and advocated in fitness magazines all over that exercise, more specifically, cardio focused exercises, tend to burn more fat when in a fasted state. the idea was that with nothing else for your body to turn to, it would start breaking down and using up your fat reserves. at least that was the foundation that whole movement was built upon.
i can tell you a host of things that are popularly believed and are complete bs... it's 2013 man. calories in vs calories out is everything.

in your personal experience, you lost a lot of fat and lost muscle because your deficit was too big and because you didn't hit the weights with enough intensity (since you were exhausted from the intense cardio). what happened to you wasn't due to working out fasted. i actually work out myself in a fasted state on a cut because i like it and i feel more focused, not because it's more effective. i don't do any cardio and just watch what i eat. sure it's not very good for cardiovasular health but for bodybuilding goals, it works very well because you focus on maintaining muscle. in the end, it all depends on your goals of course.

in recent years however, the other side has been speaking up against exercising on an empty stomach. Now really for every maybe 2-3 articles and research i could find done in favor of exercising on an empty stomach, i can find 1-2 of the opposition. Both sides make arguments which should be read by the individual trying to decide which method to use because which you choose should be decided by the results you want at the end of it all.

Do keep in mind that there are downsides to working out on an empty stomach though, the big one obviously being muscle loss because although the body may turn to your fat reserves and break them down for energy, it also turns to muscle and breaks IT down as well in order to fuel you throughout your workout. In my eyes that alone makes it not worth it. Also you only truly benefit from any exercise done on an empty stomach IF you can power yourself through it. By that i mean that working out on an empty stomach usually translates to a less intensified workout. You dont have the benefit of having something in your stomach to fuel you through that rigorous run, therefor you end up having a less intensity cardio workout and you end up burning less calories. In fact it makes no sense to torture yourself through that workout if you are burning less calories at the end of the day.
just thought i'd quote the rest of his response

maybe look into something like this if you're interested in reading up on it, HBK

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
This might not come off right to some people here but fuck it: I feel like I'm living proof that kills the "Smoking affects cardio" myth. I smoke almost everyday and I have the best cardio in training. I have better cardio than average and I won't put it on genetics, though most people do.

To the people saying that smoking affects cardio, man the fuck up and stop using excuses.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
so i learned that eating a lot is hard for me. i started stronglifts like a month or so ago, just trying to put on some muscle because really i am too puny. and i am fast discovering that, although i am very pleased with my squat gains (though i already had strongish legs because i run), i am just fucking weak. stalled at 70 lbs on overhead press today. 70 fucking pounds, that's just embarassing and i will use that to motivate me to not be a pussy.

also i have trained myself to like plain milk as well as peanut butter sandwiches. i pound em down since i have trouble eating a lot of not-shit food in the day

This might not come off right to some people here but fuck it: I feel like I'm living proof that kills the "Smoking affects cardio" myth. I smoke almost everyday and I have the best cardio in training. I have better cardio than average and I won't put it on genetics, though most people do.

To the people saying that smoking affects cardio, man the fuck up and stop using excuses.
or maybe you were good enough to become an olympic athlete but your smoking impeded that

regardless, cool bro ur a beast

How much do you smoke? What do you consider 'best cardio?' what's your blood pressure? Resting heart rate? How are your cholesterol levels? How will these be in 20 years?

Also 'cardio' sports/excercises have a lot more to them than just the cardio part, and I really don't see how anyone can say that hereditary factors don't have an influence in them.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright Nos, i was going to begin by linking to the rest of my previous post as it seems your response didnt take much of my post into account, but it seems that Stylish Interval already beat me to it.
i can tell you a host of things that are popularly believed and are complete bs... it's 2013 man. calories in vs calories out is everything.
Oh you have no idea how much i believe in those words. i am already in the camp of "disproving old methods and or finding better and improved versions of old methods". i have been in that camp for awhile now. We have come a long way from the days of Arnold and know so much more today than even just a decade ago. needles to say, you are preaching to the choir.

also if you take a closer look at my entire post, you'll see that i presented both sides of the argument, both the old and new. In fact it doesn't take a closer look to see that i actually was in your corner the entire time despite contesting your statement. I weighed heavily and focused more on the negativity and effects of working out so heavily on an empty stomach and did not say 1 negative thing of the opposing side to this old method.

in your personal experience, you lost a lot of fat and lost muscle because your deficit was too big and because you didn't hit the weights with enough intensity (since you were exhausted from the intense cardio). what happened to you wasn't due to working out fasted. i actually work out myself in a fasted state on a cut because i like it and i feel more focused, not because it's more effective. i don't do any cardio and just watch what i eat. sure it's not very good for cardiovasular health but for bodybuilding goals, it works very well because you focus on maintaining muscle. in the end, it all depends on your goals of course.
Lets focus on the first half of this paragraph for a minute.
1- You are making the same points i already made in my post, you are just saying it in different words (actually just a couple of different words)

2- again, although i already focused on muscle loss in my previous post and even said it was something that alone would make losing weight in a fasted focused state not worth it, i'll take this opportunity to add a few more things. the first would be that even after disposing of the fasted state method and going back to whatever i was doing before it, i was still losing muscle. Muscle loss is something anyone looking to lose serious weight (especially like the amount i did) will have to accept. it doesnt matter what method you use really. There are different ways you can go about it in order to try and preserve as much muscle as possible, yes, but in the time frame i gave myself and the amount i wanted to lose, well, just based on my goals, some muscle loss was something i had to accept and did. But i'm sure you already knew all of that.

3- Lastly, how can you possibly hope to challenge my personal experience? let me break it down for you, Nos. you said and i quote, "what happened to you wasn't due to working out fasted". Alright, well i'll tell you that i kept very good records of everything during the weight loss phase of my 2 phase journey, and i'll also tell you that during the short period in which i tried working out in a fasted state, i lost the most FAT and weight over all. Now you tell me that it wasnt because of working out in a fasted state? well i wasnt starving myself, i just didnt eat before working out but made sure i hit the number of calories that i was supposed to at that time. so really the only thing that i was doing different was that new method i was trying, aka working out (my cardio to be more specific) in a fasted state. so if the only thing i was doing different in the period i saw such a change in my results was the fasted state, then how can you really sit there and tell me the one thing that was differnt in this equation could not possibly be the reason?

Nos, i think you oversimplify things. firstly its clear that we are both speaking of two completely different programs when we say we've tried the fasted state. although we both may have been in a fasted state, clearly yours was more focused on a regimen catering to muscle whiles mine was more focused on weight loss. I'll even go one step further and say even if we both were working with the same goals in mind, the programs we choose to follow, even if they center around a fasted state, could be vastly different. The only real mental connection to make is that one program may not necessarily be better than the other. As long as what we do is comfortable for us and works better to cater to our needs, from how much time we may have in the day to how much sacrifice we are willing to make. Also on top of that is the fact that my body may not necessarily work in the same way yours does. No two human bodies are truly really the same and we have to keep that in mind as well.

Taking all of the above into account and especially the last part is the reason why i am such a huge advocate of "trying it out for yourself". This is why the biggest point i hoped to make in my previous post was the following
on my weight loss journey i tried a lot of things in an effort to mix things up and find better and more effective ways to achieve my goals (That should be the most important thing you take away from all this by the way. The fact that trying out different things in order to find what works better for you, and mixing things up in general).

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
or maybe you were good enough to become an olympic athlete but your smoking impeded that

regardless, cool bro ur a beast
My cardio is good but I still get my ass handed to me every single day and there is nothing I can do about it yet. Those guys have put their work in. There is a big difference between cardio and skill.

How much do you smoke? What do you consider 'best cardio?' what's your blood pressure? Resting heart rate? How are your cholesterol levels? How will these be in 20 years?

Also 'cardio' sports/excercises have a lot more to them than just the cardio part, and I really don't see how anyone can say that hereditary factors don't have an influence in them.
I consider better cardio when I'm breathing normally while the opponent is almost dying and we're going at the same pace. Maybe I'm actually doing proper breathing technique without knowing? Idk. I'll be honest and say that my dad works 2 jobs and has been for the past 18 years and I've never seen him tired, so maybe genetics do play a part, but I'm unsure.

I posted this because it amazes me how all the people use the same excuse when they're dying infront of me "oh mann i would have got the best of you but i smoke too much"

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
so i learned that eating a lot is hard for me. i started stronglifts like a month or so ago, just trying to put on some muscle because really i am too puny. and i am fast discovering that, although i am very pleased with my squat gains (though i already had strongish legs because i run), i am just fucking weak. stalled at 70 lbs on overhead press today. 70 fucking pounds, that's just embarassing and i will use that to motivate me to not be a pussy.

also i have trained myself to like plain milk as well as peanut butter sandwiches. i pound em down since i have trouble eating a lot of not-shit food in the day
eat shit food then. if you're only overhead pressing 70 pounds I'm sure you can afford to do it. it's called a "dirty bulk" and it will probably be one of the best, happiest feeling things you can do in your weightlifting career.

i'm honestly not going to quote and disect your whole post nina because a lot of it is fluff and i made some points that answer your whole post.

You can't be seriously using your personal story to prove your point. Do you even realise the sheer number of variables that need to be taken into account to verify that the only difference between those two periods was the fact that you were doing your cardio fasted. i doubt you count your macros, measure/weigh your food everyday or even if you accurately know how many calories you were burning during cardio. that was like 20% of the things that could make a difference between the two periods you are talking about. Tell me why should I take your personal story seriously.

My point is that everything can be explained using calories in vs calories out but i don't really know what you were exactly doing. i just made an assumption of what was the most likely scenario.

I'll drop in with my personal story with fasting and weight loss. I fasted during day and exercised during night for a month (exercise + fasting at the same time would mean my sugar level would drop so low I would see stars in broad day light and then pass out).

I dropped around 7 kgms/15.5 lbs in one month. Impressive right? But to add context I'm a person with high metabolism, and what I suffered from was skinny fat, basically a skinny and well defined body but due to unfortunate circumstances (knee surgery, bad effin relationship) a period of long...idleness should we say led to me having a beer belly.

The picture after one month so most of the fat vaporize except for the one covering my abs and near my belly button. That didn't go away after fasting more so I just stopped and started exercising day and night. It's now improving to the point I technically have a 6 pack but I want to finish the job before bragging.

TLDR: What I think happened? There was excess fat my body was just waiting to dump at the earliest sign, and fasting did just that, and then there was the hard to get rid of fat that needed to go via the hard way, pain and gain.

Someone can step in and try to add some science to my experience...or demand a pic of my 6 pack...

My judo teacher has discovered something called Tee Major Fitness, so he's letting us do things like these now;

[youtube]POdzasJklxw[/youtube]

I can do some of them, but damn there's some insane shit in that video.

Ninahaza

i'm honestly not going to quote and disect your whole post nina because a lot of it is fluff and i made some points that answer your whole post.

You can't be seriously using your personal story to prove your point. Do you even realise the sheer number of variables that need to be taken into account to verify that the only difference between those two periods was the fact that you were doing your cardio fasted. i doubt you count your macros, measure/weigh your food everyday or even if you accurately know how many calories you were burning during cardio. that was like 20% of the things that could make a difference between the two periods you are talking about. Tell me why should I take your personal story seriously.

My point is that everything can be explained using calories in vs calories out but i don't really know what you were exactly doing. i just made an assumption of what was the most likely scenario.
I think you have misunderstood from the very start, i was never using my personal experience to try and prove anything. From my original post all i've done is present as much fronts to HBK as i possibly could. I presented both sides of the same coin when it comes to the theory of "the fasted state", i then also gave my own personal experience on top of that. That's all it really was, me just giving out an answer from as many perspectives as i possibly could. it was never my aim to directly impose one of those perspectives. My intention was simply to give a FULL picture on the matter.

Also i agree with you, nos, i really do. You see, i haven't once specifically dismissed that, yes, calories in vs calories out is what matters, but i think where you and i differ is exactly how much we take those words to heart. please allow me to explain. I'll try to make this short.
Does exercising without eating ANYTHING(like literally nothing) help you lose more weight? No. exercising whilst fasted doesn't burn more fat. it's all about overall intake during the whole day.
Calories in vs calories out, although very important and should rightfully take the place as the foundation to whatever it is you are doing, is however NOT everything. You mentioned counting macros so i assume you are aware of that system. well that alone should serve to prove that although very important, calories in vs calories out is truly never everything. I have never advised anyone to JUST keep track of the calories they eat. making sure you keep the balance of calories in vs calories out is only half the equation when it comes to the topic of dieting. in fact i personally believe it is even less than half.

Anybody getting ready for a bodybuilding competition/meet or any serious competition will focus more on exactly what goes into their body more than just the over all number they set for themselves at the end of the day. Because calories in vs calories out is really just that, a number that represent the limit you've set for yourself (a very important and necessary limit, don't get me wrong). I can guarantee you that if we took records from a randomly selected number of individuals from past competitions, the more successful individuals with just that extra bit of amazing definition and size that makes all the difference will be those that payed more attention to their overall/FULL diet rather than just stopping at and getting too comfortable with "its about calories in vs calories out" and "overall in-take at the end of the day".

I think the following below explains the difference between our mindsets and beliefs and summarizes were we differ very nicely. that is why i chose it as the place to finish
My point is that everything can be explained using calories in vs calories out
and my point is that calories in vs calories out can be used to explain a lot, but it alone cannot explain everything.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
My judo teacher has discovered something called Tee Major Fitness, so he's letting us do things like these now;

[youtube]POdzasJklxw[/youtube]

I can do some of them, but damn there's some insane shit in that video.
Awesome you practice judo, mind if I ask how many years you've been training/belt?

Ninahaza

To get back more on topic, i'll share one of my theories on what could have been happening during my personal experience with working out in a fasted state.

now, and i know you are very familiar with this nos, i borrowed the misconception of toning and applied it to come up with this theory. We know that toning is not a realistic goal to set. its just not tangible. however we also know that a beginner or someone coming from a very long hiatus with fitness can, by the definition, tone successfully. He or she can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but only for a very short period as his/her body adjusts. it is in the same realm as Noob gains and both are directly connected. Also reading my posts you'll see one major thing i repeated a few times, and that is that i only tried the fasted state for a short period of time before deciding it was best to go back to what i was doing before it. By now you can see where i am going with this.

In short my theory at the time was that utilizing the method of exercise on an empty stomach in order to lose more fat, much like toning, takes advantage of a period in which the body has such an enormous adjustment to make. I did not eat less or more. i ate the same amount of calories, just that i ate more later in the day to make up for not eating before exercising. what if using the method of working out in a fasted state in order to lose weight produces results that make very little sense in the grander scheme of things, aka, noob gainz, or in this case, noob lose.

of course i decided not to invest in my theory and continue with the fasted state, track progress more and find answers. To see the increase and decrease in progress over time and compare my findings. oh well

Anybody getting ready for a bodybuilding competition/meet or any serious competition will focus more on exactly what goes into their body more than just the over all number they set for themselves at the end of the day. Because calories in vs calories out is really just that, a number that represent the limit you've set for yourself (a very important and necessary limit, don't get me wrong). I can guarantee you that if we took records from a randomly selected number of individuals from past competitions, the more successful individuals with just that extra bit of amazing definition and size that makes all the difference will be those that payed more attention to their overall/FULL diet rather than just stopping at and getting too comfortable with "its about calories in vs calories out" and "overall in-take at the end of the day".
i suppose you're talking about micronutrients such as fiber and vitamins right? micros are only important for overall health and well-being. body composition wise, you will get the same results with "dirty foods" or "clean foods" as long as the macros + total cals are the same.

a more interesting thing to talk about is hormones. hormones are the only thing that shit all over calories in vs calories out. however, your body is programmed to keep these hormones very stable. you might get a small peak or dip but these are automatically rectified by your body. Since we are talking about about natural bodybuilding, you get my point.

speaking of hormones, the pros you are talking about snack a lot on pizza and snicker bars before competitions. i know this because i'm friends with 2 ifbb pros and it's been admitted several times in interviews (can't be arsed to search right now). what seperates a competitor from another is genetics and ability to tolerate higher doses of steroids (which is basically genetics). Please don't come up with that natural bodybuilding bs (designer steroids / no tests for HGH / no serious testing).

This is all coming from someone that eats clean 90% of the time and is natural.

Ninahaza

oh man. OH MAN! One of the first things that came to mind after i read your last post (above) was "lol, I could totally just bury this guy right now". I try not to be too aggressive when in a debate or any sort of back and forth really, but sometimes an exception has to be made i suppose. pay attention and try to actually read this entire post this time before you end up regurgitating things already mentioned like last time. I promise you'll find no "fluff" this time around. I plan to lay before you only sources, research and facts. i will even address and tie together everything we've talked about so far, and God forbid should your follow up post repeat or bring up things i have already addressed/provided links to, i'll just direct you back to this post. so just save yourself sometime and read this whole thing.

another thing before we begin. please dont read the first few sentences or first paragraph of anything i link here and then guess what the article says in its entirety. i have read everything i link to you and i'll have immense pleasure in pointing out any assumption and guessing done. My end goal here is to show you just how big of a knowledge gap you have if you truly think that "calories in vs calories out is everything" as you so kindly put it.

Do not worry however, not all the reading to be done will be dull. some of this stuff is actually really interesting and gives great insight to the human body, which shits on that concept of "calories in vs calories out is everything" by the way (which is ironic because the function of the human body and how it interacts with what we put in it is the whole foundation for that very concept of calories in vs calories out). Below is an example of what i mean by not all the read will be boring
In a seminal series of experiments published in the 1990s, the Canadian researchers Claude Bouchard and Angelo Tremblay studied 31 pairs of male twins ranging in age from 17 to 29, who were sometimes overfed and sometimes put on diets. (None of the twin pairs were at risk for obesity based on their body mass or their family history.) In one study, 12 sets of the twins were put under 24-hour supervision in a college dormitory. Six days a week they ate 1,000 extra calories a day, and one day they were allowed to eat normally. They could read, play video games, play cards and watch television, but exercise was limited to one 30-minute daily walk. Over the course of the 120-day study, the twins consumed 84,000 extra calories beyond their basic needs.

That experimental binge should have translated into a weight gain of roughly 24 pounds (based on 3,500 calories to a pound). But some gained less than 10 pounds, while others gained as much as 29 pounds.
now doesnt something like that peak your interest? So much for Calories in vs Calories out is everything. Its not so simple. i am sorry but the equation is more complicated than the simple one that "calories in vs calories out" implies. Also let me stop you right there, let me guess? "but nina what about all the variables that could explain this", right? well we'll also touch on variables. Dont worry this is going to be a long post. i suggest you grab a cup of coffee or something.

also for the sake of keeping this a bit organized, below in hide tags i'll gather from previous posts your main points and my counters.
calories in vs calories out is everything.
Calories in vs calories out, although very important and should rightfully take the place as the foundation to whatever it is you are doing, is however NOT everything.
My point is that everything can be explained using calories in vs calories out
and my point is that calories in vs calories out can be used to explain a lot, but it alone cannot explain everything.

alright I am going to begin by breaking down your last post into 3 parts and addressing them because that's the theme of this entire post, me just breaking shit down.
speaking of hormones, the pros you are talking about snack a lot on pizza and snicker bars before competitions. i know this because i'm friends with 2 ifbb pros and it's been admitted several times in interviews (can't be arsed to search right now). what separates a competitor from another is genetics and ability to tolerate higher doses of steroids (which is basically genetics). Please don't come up with that natural bodybuilding bs (designer steroids / no tests for HGH / no serious testing).
you know sometimes i wonder if you see exactly the weapons you lay before me to use against you with your responses. I don't use them, but the truth is that it was never even necessary for me to use any of my findings.

It is so painfully clear that you are referring to carb loading and carb depletion directly before a competition or a shoot. What pros do directly before the competition is not what i meant when i used the example of bodybuilders and the regimen/diet they follow to get ready for a competition. We both know thats not what i meant. Carb loading/depleting is done usually during the last week before its time for them to hit the stage. it even goes all the way directly up the very final minutes before a competition. There are a lot of last minute preparations to be done in order to get ready for the stage and make sure one looks as big, defined and just damn good as possible. What i was talking about however was the actual diet done while ACTUALLY training for a competition. i am talking about when they start, anywhere from 6-7 months to 3 months depending how much you have to lose before the competition. THAT was the example, so please dont come at me with your pizza snicker bars bullshit. the diet of someone getting ready for serious competition starts out strict already, but then just gets even stricter as the months go by to the point where even i sometimes wonder how the fuck these guys manage it time and time again without slipping.

Honestly sometimes i think you are banking on me not knowing some of the things/terms you throw my way and hoping i accept them blindly. lol, "snack a lot on pizza and snicker bars" whiles training for a competition, get the fuck out please. In fact let me further educate you on the concept of carb load/depletion before a competition, its a practice that dates back as far as the late 60's. And here i thought you were one for the whole, what was it that you said again?
i can tell you a host of things that are popularly believed and are complete bs... it's 2013 man.
oh thats right. also, just like anything so old that it dates back to the 60s/70s/80s, not everyone does it. some have found better ways or just now do not believe in it. Here comes my first Link. I'll quote the paragraph that matters, but also link to the entire page just in case
Carb Loading & Water Intake...

I do not carb deplete or carb load during the last week. I have tried all kinds of crazy stuff like this in the past and I found that it is best to just diet right up to the day of the show. Carb depleting and carb loading is too "hit and miss" you risk screwing up your conditioning, it may make you look a little better, or it could make you look a lot worse. You are better off playing it safe by sticking to your diet and then just slightly increase your carb intake slightly for a couple days before the show (i.e. instead of eating 1 potato at a meal, eat 2 potatoes, etc.).
By Lee Hayward - A pro bodybuilder whos been competing in bodybuilding competitions since 1995, that's over a decade of experience.

Now here is doctor, yeap, Ph.d. He also has something to say on the matter of carb loading in general.
Meet DR. L. LEE COYNE
Summary
20 years as a University Professor of Exercise Physiology.
30 years of Nutrition coaching, writing and speaking.
Published 4 books - Most recent "Fat Won't Make You Fat" and "The Little Book of Nutrition Nuggets"
Published over 400 Articles in Health, Fitness and Nutrition Magazines and Newspapers.
Conducted over 1,000 seminars and workshops over the last 20 years.
And finally, and perhaps the funniest to me, a simple link to how ehow.com, a website for dummies (in a positive manner like those "books for dummies"), explains the steps to preparing for a bodybuilding competition. They make no mention of carb loading/carb depletion before a competition. if your two pro friends eat pizza and snicker bars whiles training for a competition, not only would they not be part of the more successful portion of the group i alluded to in my original example, but they wouldn't even make the random selection.

Also, by the way
a more interesting thing to talk about is hormones. hormones are the only thing that shit all over calories in vs calories out. however, your body is programmed to keep these hormones very stable. you might get a small peak or dip but these are automatically rectified by your body. Since we are talking about about natural bodybuilding, you get my point.
Hormones are not the only thing that shits all over "Calories in vs Calories out is everything", but i didnt quote the above for that. i quoted the above so i could tell you that you are REALLY down playing the impact of hormones..... like, severely. out of curiosity, do you even know how many hormones are relevant to the topic when bringing them up? do you know them by name? and yes, by the way, it would be very interesting to talk about. shoot me a VM/PM whenever and we can open that whole can or worms. In the mean time lets go back to talking about all the other things that shit all over your very dear and almighty logic (no, seriously, i still cant believe you find it hard to believe that there is something beyond calories in vs calories out and that everything stops there)

Alright, on to the last part of your last post
i suppose you're talking about micronutrients such as fiber and vitamins right? micros are only important for overall health and well-being. body composition wise, you will get the same results with "dirty foods" or "clean foods" as long as the macros + total cals are the same.
lets focus for a second on macros here. When i started out, i was counting calories and it was all about calories in vs calories out. it really was EVERYTHING as you put it, but then i discovered the concept of counting macros, etc, and my entire diet world was flipped upside down. The concept of macros alone should be enough to prove that the simple equation of calories in vs calories out isnt everything, because when you start counting macros, that equation grows. you go deeper and much more beyond just counting calories. You go beyond the calorie itself in general, you break that fucker down to get your desired exact intake of fat, carbs and protein THAT alone, the extension of that simple calories in vs calories out equation to now include something else such as macros should open up your damn mind to the possibility that yes, calories in vs calories out is not everything and that it alone cannot explain everything. its not just that fucking simply

after discovering macros i was still hitting the same number of calories. my deficit/surplus did not change, but exactly what i ate to hit that number sure fucking did. my diet changed completely. It was no longer as simple. my equation now extended beyond just having to eat x amount of calories and expending y amount of calories. Each time you and i advise someone (such as HBK for instance) that its just a thing of calories in vs calories out, we are never truly giving them the entire picture. we know we are lying despite it possibly being for the best at the moment. Someday HBK would come across the concept of macros among a few other things, and his diet will also flip upside down. it wont be as simple as we made it out to be at the beginning.

oh yeah, lets touch on variables since i said we would. I get the impression you like to use those. You've brought them up twice so far. Variables are the worst thing to bring up for your case by the way because they are perhaps the biggest things that shit on your logic of calories in vs calories out is everything. lets start with genetics, genetics come into play in almost every aspect of the fitness world so thats a very weak thing to use. Genetics have also never guaranteed one person will triumph over another in a competition. they do certainly play a hand and do give an advantage, and the very top will be dominated with those blessed with better genetics, but even at that level its not the guy with the best genes in that group that takes the trophy home. i have the worse genes in my group of friends and yet i have the best body, and some of these guys work out just as much as me. i had some catching up to do and it took me years. i had to work harder than my more blessed friends, but i didn't mind and now here we are today. also its probably because they stopped at calories in vs calories or do not scrutinize the calorie like i do.

In the world of fitness, variables are things we live with because there are simply too many and it would be an undying battle. here let me list you some more variables; sleep, stress, pollution, level of Alcohol consumption, etc.

Calories In/Calories Out Model Is Flawed: A very cool, very recent and informative article from 5 nutrition and public health experts at Harvard University that focuses on exactly how much "variables" shit all over your logic there, nos. Also below is just one of my favorite lines from that article
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health and lead author of the study, said in an interview. “What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”
Some more links for you:
Is It That Simple Calories In Vs Calories Out to Lose Weight?
A YouTube video from two individuals. man, these guys have really made a name for themselves on YouTube and developed quite the following, lol.

LINK 2: Not a doctor or anything like that (to my knowledge at least), but i really liked his take on explaining why the simple equation of calories in vs calories out isn't all there is to it.
in a perfect world we could do the math and everyone would lose 1-2 pounds a week and reach their goals right on time, but our bodies are far too complex for that. Calories in / calories out is a good starting point but only a starting point.
And finally for this section, here is an article even i wasn't 100% in agreement with, but he brings up some very interesting points and certainly makes you think. Its also hard to argue because this guy, Ken Mierke, holds a degree in Exercise Physiology with minors in Nutrition, Biology, and Psychology. He has lost 75 pounds and is also a two-time world champion triathlete.
The Calories In/Calories Out Paradigm
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
the above is why i really am not 100% with this guy. i mean, he just flat out has given up on the Calories In/Calories concept.

also you mentioned your two pro friends, well i've been going to the same 2 places for over 2 years now and have developed some great friendships with professionals as well. I know the staff more than new hirees or ones that have been there for only a short period of time. I only had yesterday (so far), and i asked 3 of the personal trainers the following question
Is weight loss and weight gain really as simple as calories in vs calories out?
IS calories in vs calories out EVERYTHING?
i basically asked the same question twice, yes. anyways, the answer did not surprise me. it was a unanimous no, but to no surprise they did make sure to let me know that calories in vs calories out is VERY important. lol

Part 2: A new dimension of thinking.
Look, no one here is calling bullshit on calories in/calories out . stopping just there works for the majority of people, but that also reflects what the goals of the majority of people are. You can link me all the countless forums that preach just calories in/calories out, and you can also link to the research done on it, but that serves to do nothing because again, no one is debunking that concept. it works, but there is a "beyond" to it that you can delve in. There is so much more to it than just calories in vs calories out and the deeper you go the better your results. also if you can find an article that says there is nothing after calories in vs calories out, and that it really is everything, you will have a new believer in me.

alright now to this "new dimension of thinking" business. There is something you have to realize here, and that is, You and I think of fitness very differently. From the way you talk, i can only assume that you focus on the physical of fitness. by that i mean the outside. For me it goes beyond the sculpting of the body. i am very interested in over all health, in one's well being. Diet affects so much more than physical appearance, our diet affects our physical, mental and social health. What we eat goes a longer way than most people think. People with great bodies go into a check up with their doctor and are blown away when they are told they have too much this, or their x is too high or low. like, how dare the inside not reflect the outside? i should be as fit as a horse right? everything should be perfect. I am very interested in longevity. over all well being is very important, and accepting that calories in vs calories out is only another piece of the puzzle instead of the whole puzzle is one of the first things you will learn when you make the jump from "bro-this"/focusing on just what you see in the mirror, to actual over all health.

if you only and truly believed that calories in/calories out is everything, then i can tell you that if we both were to get checked up at 60 or 70 years old, i would be a much more healthier old man than you. i would probably also have aged better than you due to paying more attention to what i eat rather than stopping at cals in/cals out. as far as how we would look on the outside, i dont plan on stopping rigorous exercise on top of my philosophies so i'll probably look good enough not to care to be honest. maybe we could go for a jog after that doctors appointment and see who has to play catch up, and yes, if you feel weights are more your strong suit, we can hit the gym as well.

I dont like to play this card because nothing is official, but i am thinking about switching my career path. i am still in college and anything is possible if i have the funds i suppose. i would love to learn more on the human body, cardiovascular health and nutrition. also the human brain fascinates me but that has nothing to do with the fitness world. i don't really want to be a personal trainer though, so i'm not sure where i would go after school. I am already doing a lot of reading up on my own so i could just continue t=down that path and keep this strictly as a hobby i suppose.

Edit: I didn't get the chance to link everything on account of having to go to work. I also felt bad about how long the post was getting, but if you are still confused please let me and I'll continue this post with everything after work

Awesome you practice judo, mind if I ask how many years you've been training/belt?
I've been training for four or so years, I have a blue belt by now. I'm not all that great in it, but I really enjoy doing it, and that is what counts most for me. I've had some aspirations to take my training to a higher level before (I train twice a week now), but decided against it because that would take away most of the fun, I think. Do you practice judo, too?

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
a nice shake recipe for those of us who may have trouble getting protein:

5 oz milk
2 spoons peanut butter
2 scoops whey protein
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar
1 handful of ice cubes

pretty much combine and blend. it's delicious and gives you like 50g protein (if i am counting whey protein right at 15g/scoop -- might be more or less but i cba to go look at my jar) and a decent amount of calories with the milk/whey/peanut butter. and did i mention it's fucking delicious?

add more ice cubes if you want it to be thicker by the way

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Would you recommend consuming that in lieu of lunch? I'm not trying to gain weight though,in fact I'm trying to lose my belly fat but I've heard that drinking protein shakes instead of actually eating food can speed up the weight loss process especially since I have little to no control over what I eat as I live with my parents and my brother;I have to eat what is cooked in the house and it is often quite fatty.And when it's not,the amount of protein is insufficient for me.So far I have been trying to eat lesser than usual(been 5 days,I think,since I began)but I feel very weak during exercise and can't go on for long due to my lowered caloric intake.I'm hoping that consuming something like this instead of eating will give me the right balance between energy to exercise and avoiding fat and excess calories.I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this before I try it out!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
protein is actually a poor energy source so it's probably not what you're looking for - it does however leave you feeling fuller for longer than the equivalent weight per grams of carbs or fat thanks to it being digested almost entirely in the stomach so still stack up on it. i suggest you just time your exercise sessions better - try doing it an hour after your main meal.

lol'd hard at the study you posted. seems legit
do you really want me to post 21415743 meaningless studies to prove my point?

again, stop talking about pro-bodybuilders. we're talking about natural bodybuilding, specifically weight loss and weight gain.

Alright, on to the last part of your last post
lets focus for a second on macros here. When i started out, i was counting calories and it was all about calories in vs calories out. it really was EVERYTHING as you put it, but then i discovered the concept of counting macros, etc, and my entire diet world was flipped upside down. The concept of macros alone should be enough to prove that the simple equation of calories in vs calories out isnt everything, because when you start counting macros, that equation grows. you go deeper and much more beyond just counting calories. You go beyond the calorie itself in general, you break that fucker down to get your desired exact intake of fat, carbs and protein THAT alone, the extension of that simple calories in vs calories out equation to now include something else such as macros should open up your damn mind to the possibility that yes, calories in vs calories out is not everything and that it alone cannot explain everything. its not just that fucking simply
i said calories in vs calories out is everything in terms of weight control. Who gives a shit about macros and bodybuilding. if HBK can have 1800 calories from butter alone he will lose weight. is it recommended? no. is it even remotely possible to eat that much butter? no.

YOU are the one that misunderstood. hbk wants to lose weight, not bodybuild and it was in this context that i said that calories in vs calories out is everything.

if you only and truly believed that calories in/calories out is everything, then i can tell you that if we both were to get checked up at 60 or 70 years old, i would be a much more healthier old man than you.
i lol'd seeing as you were an obese manlet. the damage has probably already been done.

I dont like to play this card because nothing is official, but i am thinking about switching my career path. i am still in college and anything is possible if i have the funds i suppose. i would love to learn more on the human body, cardiovascular health and nutrition. also the human brain fascinates me but that has nothing to do with the fitness world. i don't really want to be a personal trainer though, so i'm not sure where i would go after school. I am already doing a lot of reading up on my own so i could just continue t=down that path and keep this strictly as a hobby i suppose.
promises no fluff

talks about life aspirations as if anyone gave a shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)