Picking a web browser

I am an avid fan of Opera, and quite frankly, after testing it against Firefox, Chrome and Safari (lol IE), I will stick with Opera. Not only is the layout and design perfect for me (designed for Windows 7,) the speed at which Opera loads its pages seem faster than Firefox and Chrome. Furthermore, there are tests that say Chrome is faster, yet others say that Opera is faster. I'm willing to say that they're around equal, but I like Opera's layout much better.

Oh and some pages don't load properly, like hotmail. No biggie for me. I use Firefox for hotmail anyways.
Yup, after using Opera, I'd have to say, it's pretty much a layout/design preference that will make your ultimate choice. Both are lightning fast to a point where the difference may be in milliseconds, which doesn't matter. At least to me.

First off, the status bar in Opera. It is always there by default, much like Firefox (which I used before switching to Chrome) and I assume IE do, whereas Chrome only shows the status bar when you hover over a link. I tried changing the settings of Opera's status bar to "Show only when needed", but this merely made it disappear and it doesn't show anything when I hover over a link. Also, I don't like those ugly, unnecessary (for me, anyways) little buttons that are placed in it, and I couldn't find anything at all to change that.
You couldn't right-click -> customize -> remove from toolbar? I have no problem adding and removing stuff from my status bar (not that it matters, because as I've said, I hate the status bar). If you want to do away with the status bar but still want the status field, you can put the status field into a different toolbar easily.
Another thing I happened upon by accident: if you turn off the Tabs Bar, the main Opera menu disappears with it and you can't access it any longer. I had to end up making pressing some button combination I no longer remember to make the sidebar U_D mentioned appear and then re-enable the Tabs Bar. Very, very annoying and a pretty big design flaw imo.
You can move the Opera menu into a different toolbar if you want to get rid of the tab bar. Also Opera has multiple shortcuts for everything; I use the simple F4 to show the sidebar.

The last thing that I didn't like might be OS-dependant, or perhaps it's something specific to my computer, but for some reason opening multiple tabs causes Windows 7 to think multiple windows are open, and thus it shows multiple icons in the taskbar. What this means is if I'm on another window and try to go back to Opera, clicking on the Opera button will pop up a preview of each tab as if they were separate windows instead of actually going back to the browser. I have no idea why this is happening, since there's only one process for Opera running and I've never had this happen with any other program, let alone browser, but it is extremely annoying and one of the biggest reasons I've decided not to make Opera my main browser.
Yeah, this is a "feature" in Opera for Win7. I've never had a problem with it, but I always use the alt+tab shortcut to switch windows instead of clicking on the taskbar icon and I can see why it would be a problem. Like everything in Opera, you can turn it off.

automatic refreshing. You can set the page to refresh every n-minutes x-seconds, which is a godsend for people like me who are too lazy to actually go look for song downloads and just want to listen to stuff on Youtube without having to press the Play button every time the song ends.
Yeah, I abuse this all the time on Smogon's user control panel. It keeps my subscribed threads up-to-date with the added bonus of making other users think I'm online 24/7.
This is pretty much the only reason I'm keeping Opera right now. It's just not enough of a reason for me to set up all my bookmarks and accounts and everything again on a new browser, though.
Import bookmarks?

I'm glad you gave it a shot, even if you don't stick with it. :)

Before this thread, I was honestly unaware that Opera had a browser for anything other than the Wii. I downloaded it last night, and spent some time importing my bookmarks and search shortcuts (manually; the "import bookmarks" tool requires some digging for an HTML file). I was quite impressed with its speed, running adequately even when I had both Firefox and Opera up.

But I'm wondering what you use for adblock software, Umbreon Dan. I did a little bit of searching in on the widgits site, and didn't come up with anything. Honestly, until I have a flawless adblocker (like Firefox') with functions to block specific images (annoying avatars), it's not worth using. I do like the search feature, though. The layout and information displays are also quite nice.

Edit: It seems Opera's adblocker does not function like Adblock Plus for Firefox. Deal breaker.

Opera has a built in adblocking feature. Just right click and select Block Content. Click anything you don't want to see.

I gave Opera a chance. I still much prefer Chrome, especially it's Omnibox. To get to this site all I have to do is type in S , and then hit enter. The same with multiple other sites. I'm not sure if Opera does this. So far it first checks my bookmarks, and then checks my history. Getting to my favorite sites takes longer on Opera, and I don't like that.

I also dislike how it looks. I found some decent skins, but I much prefer how Chrome looks. I already mentioned how Opera places the tabs just slightly below the top edge of the screen. I've become too accustomed to clicking at the top edge to change tabs. I find that really annoying about Opera.

I use Google Chrome. Simply because of it's sheer speed.
I won an auction a few months back thanks to the fact that Chrome (actually, Chromium) was refreshing faster than the other bidders' browsers.

But the main reason I use Chromium exclusively (except on my PowerPC Mac) is the Omnibox. I can't live without it. I've even modded Firefox to have an Omnibox.

Reinstalling Opera right now. I use Chrome because it just seems intuitive for me. I've used all of the browsers, I used to use firefox but I got pissed off at the start up time because my laptop sucks.

Chrome: So slick, but the lack of some REALLY obvious extensions (you can't even put your own translator on this thing? Seriously?). Great browser, will always be my fallback browser at the least.
Opera: I enjoyed using it, but I always just preferred FireFox or Chrome when using it, so it just got uninstalled.
Firefox: Was my main broswer for 2+ years, but start up times ultimately made to move to Chrome after seeing my friend use it.
Safari: When I had to fall back to my mom's macbook, I didn't really like this browser, nor did I really like osx. It isn't bad by any means, just made me want to use Chrome/FF more.

Will post later on my opinion on opera.

I'm wondering what you use for adblock software, Umbreon Dan.
Opera has a built in adblocking feature. Just right click and select Block Content. Click anything you don't want to see.
Yeah. O_o;

I gave Opera a chance. I still much prefer Chrome, especially it's Omnibox. To get to this site all I have to do is type in S , and then hit enter. The same with multiple other sites. I'm not sure if Opera does this.
Right-click on a bookmark and select properties. You can "nickname" the bookmark anything you want. To go to that page, type the nickname into the address. I have nicknames like "cong" "rmt" and "cap" that take me to their respective sub-fora on Smogon, but there's no reason why nicknames can't be a single letter.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah. O_o;

Right-click on a bookmark and select properties. You can "nickname" the bookmark anything you want. To go to that page, type the nickname into the address. I have nicknames like "cong" "rmt" and "cap" that take me to their respective sub-fora on Smogon, but there's no reason why nicknames can't be a single letter.
Every web browser does this, by the way.

I use Netscape 1.02. Underlines links, displays pictures, the works.

On a serious note, I use Chrome. I tried Opera, but it was too much work to make it usable for me. Mouse gestures is really something I'm fond of though. If I had more free time ill try to customize it but even then it will be just like chrome, which I am already using with no problems.

U_D said pretty much everything there was to say, thanks.

There's something else interesting about Opera: it has a couple of very useful "add-ons" which are like browser extensions. There's the email and IRC clients, the widgets, Opera Turbo and Dragonfly, but also two things that I think weren't talked about even though they are quite nice:

-Unite is some sort of sharing service. Basically, imagine a hosting service like MediaFire which would let you host and share files with friends, allow streaming of media files, and act in both ways (your friends can send you files to). Opera Unite does that, except the files are still "hosted" on your computer. You basically make anything you want completely accessible online, the only storage limit is your own HDD, and your files are perfectly safe at home.

-Opera Link is something I use a lot. As its name suggests, it links all your personal preferences (bookmarks, speed dial, notes, search engines...) to your Opera account and synchronises them with all your Opera browser. This is significant because Opera is a very big competitor, if not the biggest, in the mobile browser field. It means you have one "Opera identity" that you keep anywhere you go, you just have to log in to your Opera account.

These are the kind of features that will probably become available sometime on other browsers, but when they do, Opera users will already be playing with new toys.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Unite sounds cool. I don't know about Firefox, but something like Opera Link already exists in Chrome, where you can sync your browser settings, preferences, bookmarks etc. to any other instance of Chrome using your Google account, similar to the Opera account Accent specified.

Android's stock mobile browser is essentially mobile Chrome. Both are WebKit based browser, and if I recall, the mobile browser did take cues from Chrome for design and function.

Android users should also try Fennec (essentially, ported Firefox). If you have a second generation Android phone (basically, phones with the Droid's specs or better), you will be able to run it. Apparently, it has lightning fast rendering speeds and displays a web page much like it would on the desktop.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I mainly use Chrome, but if I'm typing up an RMT or some other long post, I'll go with Firefox so that I can drag images.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I just installed fire fox so I could mute incognito windows (it didn't want to mute chrome for some reason), and monkfish's avatar looks like it's in fast forward in firefox, while it still looks rather laggy in both chrome and safari.
Try it, it might be just me since I just installed firefox?
Edit: Just checked out amazing gifs itt. No lag at all loading the gifs. I normally just don't go in that thread because it makes chrome/safari die. All the gifs do look like they are in fast forward however.
Edit2: Apparently I'm not alone and/or this is well known

Firefox. I use Chrome when Firefox inevitably crashes or decides to dick all over my processor. Otherwise Firefox has got a better layout, it's easier to clear memory and change settings and has far superior add ons.

Firefox. I am so used to firefox and it does its job well.

I try the either the beta or Google Chrome 1 (or something) and i think it's crap. After reading this, new GC should be the better choice. Anyway, GC is faster but i guess that doesn't matter.

And IE is crap, so laggy for me.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
I've stuck with firefox for a real long time now and don't feel like switching. Opera and Google Chrome dont exactly appeal to me.

On Windows, I use Firefox. Haven't really felt the need to switch to Chrome or Opera.

On my Linux netbook, I use this thing called rekonq. It's a WebKit browser for KDE. It works well enough, and it's not quite as huge as Chrome and Firefox are.

I have a bunch of sites bookmarked on Firefox and even more stored in its address memory thing. Since it works fine for me and I have it set to let me know before installing cookies along with good virus protection software, switching to something else is more hassle than it's worth.

plus that little icon is just so gosh darn cute

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)