Picking a web browser

I said I'd post about Opera again, and so I shall. I havn't even bothered to customise it, but by god it's so nice. It gives me the most screen space and loads pages ultra fast, even without turbo. Speed Dial is more efficient than Chrome's equivilant, as I can just press a number, hit enter and I'm zooming to SDA, for example. I YouTube a lot, and loading videos from channels is sadly a pain, because 99% of the time, I have to flick to a tab and back again, if anyone knows how to stop this, PM me and I'll throw away Chrome forever.

Opera faster than Chrome
Performance test featuring most browser, Opera wins
Opera wins 'best browser of 2010' award from The Times

I'm sure you can find web pages proving that an unexisting browser is faster than Chrome, Opera, Safari or FF. This means nothing - even if it was 100% accurate, the difference is calculated in milliseconds. Who cares? The page load speed is definitely not a big enough factor unless you're comparing the major browsers with IE, and the program speed (ie launch time etc) depends on your PC and the browser's settings.

I haven't tried Opera but I hear it sucks, and I know Internet Explorer sucks (excluding IE 2 beta for Mac OS X, that shit is the bomb), so I suggest either Firefox or Chrome. Personally, I prefer Chrome, as I've found it a lot more reliable, and because it takes up a lot less memory... but it's up to you.

Pros and cons of Firefox:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pros+and+cons+of+mozilla+firefox
Pros and cons of Chrome:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pros+and+cons+of+google+chrome

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't tried Opera but I hear it sucks, and I know Internet Explorer sucks (excluding IE 2 beta for Mac OS X, that shit is the bomb), so I suggest either Firefox or Chrome. Personally, I prefer Chrome, as I've found it a lot more reliable, and because it takes up a lot less memory... but it's up to you.

Pros and cons of Firefox:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pros+and+cons+of+mozilla+firefox
Pros and cons of Chrome:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pros+and+cons+of+google+chrome
Opera and Chrome, in my opinion, are the two best browsers. It all depends on what features you want.

I've switched to Opera on both Windows and Mac. I'm currently running 10.60 beta and its. so. fast.

Found this today: Quantitative results on why you should switch to Chrome.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2dykMg/sixrevisions.com/infographs/browser-performance/
You realize that ALL of those browsers are outdated, right?

Opera and Chrome, in my opinion, are the two best browsers. It all depends on what features you want.

I've switched to Opera on both Windows and Mac. I'm currently running 10.60 beta and its. so. fast.
I'll probably try Opera out for myself tonight, I've only heard it's bad from people on 4chan and a couple Apple fan boys, so...

... yeah.

people on 4chan and a couple Apple fan boys
I heard a black guy say that these two groups are the least reputable people on the internet, don't worry too much or take them seriously or get any advice from them at all really.
-My Experiences-
Opera: Worked before my computer died, the transition from Firefox to Opera was weird but overall it ran smoother and crashed less often. Never got quite used to it
Chrome: Started using it after my laptop revived 3 days later. Runs beautifully, has everything good about Opera while also fitting like a glove. Lots of useful options other browsers don't have too like Incognito Mode

I heard a black guy say that these two groups are the least reputable people on the internet, don't worry too much or take them seriously or get any advice from them at all really.
I'm not saying dispute the opinions of everyone who posts on 4chan or loves Apple more than his/her parents, but my sources really weren't very reliable. I know these people, excluding the channers, they aren't to be taken too seriously.

Has anyone tried the Pale Moon variant of Firefox (Windows only)?

It's a Windows-optimized version that seems to be very fast for me.

I'm going to make an argument for a minority browser: Midori. It's a minimalistic browser, but it also happens to be my favorite for 3 main reasons:

1. Extremely lightweight but extensible
2. Uses Webkit for rendering and is standards compliant (passes all 3 Acid tests)
3. Has speed dial and a very clean user interface

Basically, what had me sold was that its creators believe in the Unix philosophy: do one thing and do it well. It browses the web, and judging by quantitative tests on how it renders pages, it does it very well. Bloated browsers suffering from feature creep like Firefox annoy me, while Chromium and Opera, although nice, don't really satisfy me. Yes, they're both less bloated than Firefox, but simplicity seems to be a secondary issue to both of them.

Obviously, this is just my personal preference; many users love their applications with all sorts of bells and whistles. But I've found minimalism to be much more aesthetically satisfying in the long-run though.

I'm going to make an argument for a minority browser: Midori. It's a minimalistic browser, but it also happens to be my favorite for 3 main reasons:

1. Extremely lightweight but extensible
2. Uses Webkit for rendering and is standards compliant (passes all 3 Acid tests)
3. Has speed dial and a very clean user interface

Basically, what had me sold was that its creators believe in the Unix philosophy: do one thing and do it well. It browses the web, and judging by quantitative tests on how it renders pages, it does it very well. Bloated browsers suffering from feature creep like Firefox annoy me, while Chromium and Opera, although nice, don't really satisfy me. Yes, they're both less bloated than Firefox, but simplicity seems to be a secondary issue to both of them.

Obviously, this is just my personal preference; many users love their applications with all sorts of bells and whistles. But I've found minimalism to be much more aesthetically satisfying in the long-run though.
Hey I gotta agree with you that this browser is, indeed, very good... however I think that chrome is slightly better. Although that's a very subjective opinion based on the 'design'.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not only are those old versions.. WHO THE FUCK USES VISTA 32 BIT.. fucking hell who is that dumb?
People who like software compatibility. For calling people "that dumb", I'd be willing to bet you don't know the specific benefits of 64 bit Vista and the associated drawbacks.

Chrome may be faster on benchmarks, but in my experience Firefox is faster in the "real world" because it has proper ad blocking.
Also, I don't like applications that do their own window decorations, like Chrome and for that matter Office 2007 and later. I spent a little bit of time choosing a theme I like, and I'd rather my programs heed that choice.
Also, I prefer Firefox's seperate search bar. It really comes into its own if I want to do repeated searches on a non-default site. Say I want to look up Pokemon on Smogon. And Firefox's Address bar > Chrome's.

People who like software compatibility. For calling people "that dumb", I'd be willing to bet you don't know the specific benefits of 64 bit Vista and the associated drawbacks.
Vista is a shitpile, and 32 bit Vista is an even bigger shitpile. Anyone who uses either should just reformat their hard drive and switch to 7 or xp..

We have 32-bit Vista around at my work. Saying we "should just reformat their hard drive and switch to 7 or xp" is a sentiment I agree with in theory, but in the real world that would cost a lot of money which frankly is better spent elsewhere.

EDIT: Linux Format has in its latest issue rated Chrome top, giving it 10/10. Firefox got a 9, Opera an 8. Full scans if requested.

We have 32-bit Vista around at my work. Saying we "should just reformat their hard drive and switch to 7 or xp" is a sentiment I agree with in theory, but in the real world that would cost a lot of money which frankly is better spent elsewhere.
ahahaha which idiot at your company decided to roll out the beta test for win 7..

I use Firefox over Chrome mainly because of it's add-ons (like Adblock Plus!) and because it can handle a large number of tabs without crashing, which Chrome can't in my experience.

ahahaha which idiot at your company decided to roll out the beta test for win 7..
Someone who didn't know an awful lot about computers. Ignorance is not stupidity. Being convinced by Microsoft's and Dell's marketing is not idiocy.

And it makes eff all difference anyway. The Vista computers have not been notably more problematic than the XP or 7 machines. Those who are using Vista are not clamouring to be switched to an XP or 7 machine. The most troublesome piece of hardware we have in our company isn't even a computer at all - it's the goddamn Netgear router one of our sites has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)