1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Flaming Piranha, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Speaking of Dynamicpunch, that move bugged me for many years.

I was 10 or so when I first got a Pokémon game (Crystal). And as I'm not a native English speaker, I had a little trouble understanding the text in the games, never mind pronouncing stuff. So for the longest time, I thought that awesome practically-made-for-Feraligatr-move you got from Chuch was named Dynamitpunch rather than DynamicPunch. Its move animation didn't really help either.

I might have figured it out earlier than I did, if I hadn't deposited my Feraligatr at the Day Care shortly afterwards. The Day Care couple happily replaced DynamicPunch with Slash. As the TM is single-use, and no Pokémon learned the move naturally in Gen. II, I didn't see it spelled out again for many years. After all, all my friends also referred to it as "Dynamitpunch". Even when I put the move on my Machoke in Sapphire, I thought the C was a misspelling. I didn't realize my mistake before I looked it up on the Net. Until then, I didn't know how to spell dynamite in English. In Norwegian it's spelled "dynamitt", and ten-year-olds struggle a bit with double consonants.

I still sometimes find myself wishing for it to be renamed Dynamite Punch. It fits the move animation perfectly, it doesn't clash with the Japanese name (Exploding Punch), and it makes a damn lot more sense than calling an explosion-causing punch "Dynamic".
  2. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

I'd have thought mistaking it for Electric/Dark was more likely :X

Dynamite Punch sounds a lot more badass though if they could even fit it under the limit, if there is one.
  3. callforjudgement

callforjudgement

The limit's 12, including spaces. This is why the spaces are sometimes left out of names, e.g. PoisonPowder = 6 + 6 = 12, Sleep Powder = 5 + 1 + 6 = 12; Sleep Powder gets the space because there's room, PoisonPowder has no space because there isn't.
  4. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

If only they had thought of DinamiteFist...

...Lame, but better than ~dynamic~
  5. Basileus

Basileus

I never really got designs messed up, however to this day I still can't figure out if hydregion has 3 heads and no arms, or 1 head and 2 arms with heads at the end.

Most of the time what I screw up is pronouncing the names of Pokemon...
  6. King Serperior

King Serperior

7. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

This is less Pokémon-related, but I used to think Cloud Nine just destroyed the weather effects all together. I brought a Golduck to the E4 in Hoenn to take down Glacia because I thought Hail was a serious problem for my team (which included a lv. 73 Swampert). I really overtrained.
  8. mcFlareon

mcFlareon

[​IMG]

I had no clue what Numel's typing was when I first saw it on RS. It's colour scheme wasn't anything that really screamed out Grass or Fire and I thought the green marks on its volcano back was paint- it reminded me of Smeargle so I thought it looked like a cute, derpy Normal type.

It's kind of funny how colours are usual representations of typing and how hard it can throw you off
  9. Hamstern

Hamstern

I did this one too when I was a kid. I can't understand how I could not see the real face and I have no clue what I was thinking xD I never played Gold thought and I guess I just took a quick glimpse at it. When I first "figured it out" I was kinda dissapointed and thought it was ugly xD But now I love Ho-Oh :P
  10. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how you got Ho-Oh wrong

what exactly did you think was its eye?
  11. Flareon

Flareon

Me too, I just can't see it how you guys are describing it, no matter how much I try, the beak is just so obvious.
  12. Frog

Frog

[​IMG]
    Red things aren't tentacruel's eyes?

Also I thought rock was immune to electric b/c I thought golem was pure rock...
  13. Celever

Celever

Frog, everyone did.

Also I think DHR has a clear view on the ho-oh situation.

14:01 DHR fucking people who cant see hoohs head
  14. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name

Cover the entire beak with a finger, think of the eye in the new "mouth" as a tongue, and imagine the white colouring behind the hair tuft as the eye, with the blueish dot being the iris.
  15. Sgt.Moose

Sgt.Moose

I saw it that way too, but not seeing it now. Can't un-unsee
  16. Hamstern

Hamstern

Did some paint and I hope this explains it xD But yeah, I can't believe how someone would miss its real head, but I sure did! :evan::justin:

[​IMG]
  17. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

You all have serious problems if you see that :D
  18. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name

If you take a brief look at it as a kid, it may look like that. Young kids do not like having their opinions or perception changed, no matter how irrational or illogical they may be.
  19. Celever

Celever

Seconding this. Although nice paint job, if I kind of unfocus my vision I can see it with that painted picture.
  20. blitzlefan

blitzlefan I remember it all too well...
    is a Pre-Contributor

In LGFR, I thought that Psychic was super-effective on Ghost, because Alakazam could hit Gengar super-effectively, and I thought Gengar was just Ghost-type.
  21. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

...nope, the Ho-Oh thing is still retarded. It only works if you completely ignore the beak and even then it's quite a stretch...
  22. Hamstern

Hamstern

I won't deny that its retarded xD But off course you have to ignore the beak, and the tounge and all to see it. I have no clue what I thought the beak and toungue were.. Maybe I thought it was holding something in its "beak" or the beak were covered up when I saw it?

Weirdly enought I haven't fell for any of the other misconceptions that are in this thread.
  23. Vashimus

Vashimus

Tinted Lens seems more fitting than Compoundeyes, but I guess they thought putting Tinted Lens on a Dragon type would be pretty ridiculous.

Also, on Anorith and Armaldo, I don't see how anyone could possibly miss the eyes on the side of the head, especially the big puppy dog ones Anorith has that stick out like sore thumbs. What else would you think they were? Ears?

[​IMG]
  24. Punchshroom

Punchshroom para is worse than sleep
    is a Pre-Contributor

I can see how people may mistake them for antenna or w/e, but that doesn't apply for Armaldo.
  25. Charro

Charro

It's easy when you look at the artwork, but think about seeing Armaldo' sprite on the small GBA screen, its eyes are hard to notice.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)