Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Same thing. Psyduck isn't Psychic? What? I just don't get how these two aren't Psychic type. Also, I could never tell the difference between Voltorb and Electrode. Anyone else have this problem?
You can also tell that something is wrong when the obviously gold-coloured Psyduck evolves into Golduck.

It looks very sinister viewed this way. Also a little fat.
"OOGA BOOGA LOOK AT MY FAT BELLY EYES"

On a more on-topic note:

For the longest time I kept getting confused on Gligar and Gliscor's typing. It's purple, it's a flying scorpion, it learns Poison Sting early. Must be Poison/Flying right? NOPE. Ground/Flying. I sent electric moves at it only to get them nullified, multiple times. It also made me believe at one point that Poison Heal allowed Poison types to get Poisoned. It really took me a while to get in my head that it isn't a Poison type at all and is, for some reason, Ground type. (It doesn't even get any offensive Ground moves by level up.)

On a more on-topic note:

For the longest time I kept getting confused on Gligar and Gliscor's typing. It's purple, it's a flying scorpion, it learns Poison Sting early. Must be Poison/Flying right? NOPE. Ground/Flying. I sent electric moves at it only to get them nullified, multiple times. It also made me believe at one point that Poison Heal allowed Poison types to get Poisoned. It really took me a while to get in my head that it isn't a Poison type at all and is, for some reason, Ground type. (It doesn't even get any offensive Ground moves by level up.)
I was also confused by its typing at first but the weirdest typing is probably this thing :

It looks nothing like a ghost or a ground type. It starts to make a bit sense when you know that it's a haunted golem or something but I wouldn't have guessed on its look.

I was also confused by its typing at first but the weirdest typing is probably this thing :

It looks nothing like a ghost or a ground type. It starts to make a bit sense when you know that it's a haunted golem or something but I wouldn't have guessed on its look.
I guessed Ground-Steel type at first, it looked like a giant ancient robot to me.

It looks very sinister viewed this way. Also a little fat.
holy shit this is really cool

another one:

i didn't realise for a long time that sharpedo was actually just a shark head with four fins sticking out to each side. it had always made more sense to me that its main body kinda curved around behind its head so you can't see it. i didn't even notice i was wrong when i saw the back sprite for some reason.

another one:

i didn't realise for a long time that sharpedo was actually just a shark head with four fins sticking out to each side. it had always made more sense to me that its main body kinda curved around behind its head so you can't see it. i didn't even notice i was wrong when i saw the back sprite for some reason.
Woah that's really weird. I can't unimagine that now.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not really a misconception, but Tyranitar's design really irks me. Due to the placement of its legs and the direction its knees are pointing, it shouldn't be able to walk properly without wagging from side to side (if at all).

The same goes for Bulbasaur and its evolutionary relatives. There are no proper ways for its hind legs to move so it can walk.

And Conkeldurr has really, really tiny feet.

OH WOW I have never noticed that Sharpedo thing, :(

It looks so much cooler if it isn't just the shark head.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

I initially thougth that Electrike was a Grass-type due to its color and design. It wasn't until I catched one that I realized that it was Electric.

My friend from the signature thougth that Aggron was a Steel/Ground-type. I had to explain that despite its design and the fact that Aggron can learn Earthquake, it is a Steel/Rock-type.

First time I saw Claydol, I thougth it was based on an owl. Just when I was looking on Bulbapedia, that I realized that it has nothing to do with an owl; it is based on a shakōkidogū.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Wow, imagine how better it would have been competitively if it was that type
But it would lose STAB on Head Smash, and one of his main selling points is to spam a Choice Band, STAB-boosted Head Smash with no recoil... It could still use that move as coverage, however.

But it would also lose the 4x Ground and Fighting weaknesses.
But...HEAD SMASH D:

Ah, well. I used to think Water Gun was superpowerful because it had the term "gun" in it, so I had a Swampert facing the Elite Four with Water Gun.

Also, as soon as I found out about STAB, I think I put STAB moves on literally everything I owned.

Am I the only one who saw Bronzong as having no eyes? I saw Bronzor's clearly, but for some reason I just didn't acknowledge the red markings on Bronzong as eyes...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I thought Ho-Oh's eye was actually its mouth and that its "eye" was under its head feathers.

please don't tell me I am alone
yeah this is my whole childhood. Could never figure out why Ho-oh looked different on the box to in-game / any other media. Even up until recently I just thought it was a design change that never made it in-game. I had silver and my brother had gold so I need really looked at Ho-oh that much. Then Heartgold and Soulsilver came out and I noticed it straight away.

Also I think Armaldo looks real goofy with its 'real' eyes now that I've seen them, I thought they were ears and the red bits were eyes. Now Cradily looks mean with the real eyes in comparison to the big yellow blobs I thought were eyes.

And the whistling Nosepass, thank you for pointing this out. I will forever see it as that!

Am I the only one who saw Bronzong as having no eyes? I saw Bronzor's clearly, but for some reason I just didn't acknowledge the red markings on Bronzong as eyes...
I think I saw Bronzong's eyes maybe once or twice before the Elite Four (one of them being me evolving it), so I never really saw Bronzong's eyes either. I just assumed it was like Zubat or something. But when I beat the Elite Four...oh man. That was a revelation.

Thinking that gothitelle would be dark type, and female-only.

Thinking that the machop line would be male-only.

Thinking that lickitung could learn lick in RBY.

Thinking that ghost moves were special and dark were physical.

Thinking that flygon was a bug and/or flying type.

Thinking that scraggy was a dragon type.

For the longest time I thought that Masquerain was Bug/Water thanks to the shoddy HeartGold/SoulSilver Pokedex book. Also, it took me awhile to notice that its wings were supposed to be fake eyes

Also, I still don't know if I'm viewing the perspective on this sprite right:

I have a Donald Duck comicbook which had Pokemon Gold & Silver ad on its backcover. Long time i looked that white spot behind Ho-Oh's head (actually it is stomach) was an eye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)