1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Flaming Piranha, Mar 3, 2013.

1. kaps

kaps

At first I didn't realize Sigilyph had eyes. I thought the blue circle things were just more patterns, as he was already so colorful. It all just sort of blended together, especially in sprite form

He's just a weird looking guy
  2. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

So wait...

Your saying...

[​IMG]

..has eyes on its abdomen?

I always thought it had just that one eye on top.
  3. False Sense

False Sense

Wait....

How many eyes does Sigilyph have then? Are those dots on it's body eyes, or that thing sticking out from the top?
  4. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

The circle things on its abdomen close when it falls asleep in-game, so that's good.

The thing on its head...it watches deep into your soul for all eternity.
  5. kaps

kaps

See what I mean? Thing's crazy
  6. Yveltal

Yveltal

It was always easier to pretend that Bronzong didn't have a face. The first time i saw him, I tried anthropomorphising him so the top of his body would look more like a bear's head with a hollowed out face instead of coming to terms with his man-child head for a body. That was always kind of creepy.
  7. Better Call Stall

Better Call Stall

Always seen Hariyamas body as a huuuge nose. It's impossible for me to unsee.

[​IMG]
  8. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Oh wow..thought I was the only one
  9. False Sense

False Sense

Took me a long time before I realized its head was actually just the top part of it's body...

Also, this isn't really a design misconception, but I always though Hariyama's cry sounded like it was saying "What do you want." Anyone else hear that?
  10. Flareon

Flareon

Oh god can't be unheard
  11. jackm

jackm

Holy crap you just rocked my perception of Hariyama. I always though it was just a giant nose ;_;
  12. Magistrum

Magistrum Oh ma god it's Plasmanta!!! Run!!! ᕙ(◕`o´◕;)ᕗ
    is an Artist

Guys I have a question [I think this is the right place to ask]: What real-life animal is eevee and its eeveelutions really?

I initially thought they were lions back then, since they have the -eon suffix which relates to lion in many languages.Also the first 3 eeveelutions have manes. However their size makes it unlikely. Some people think it's a dog, some think it's a type of cat, some a mix of both, and some also think they're foxes... help me, it's the biggest misconception I can think of that until now has not given me convincing answers.
  13. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

I think it's supposed to display traits of all three - foxes, canines and felines. That's my opinion anyway
  14. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Not really a design misconception per se, but it always irked me how some Pokémon (i.e. Escavalier) were said to be able to move at great speeds, although their Speed stat is kinda terrible. You hear about Pidgeot flying at Mach 2, yet it is outsped by stuff like Persian, Miltank and even Magmar. Then it dawned on me: the speed stat reflects reaction speed, not top speed.

It even explains Slow Start. Regigigas, having just woken up from its slumber, is still tired and confused during the first few turns of battle, and it takes some time to fully realize what's going on around it.
  15. Agonist

Agonist Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
    is a Forum Moderator

I saw it that way up until its DP sprite, where its head is turned.

[​IMG]
  16. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Mind = Blown
    So I'm guessing Deoxys-S has ninja-fast reaction speeds then? :D
  17. Matezoide

Matezoide

OMG that part about Sigilyph....i had no idea...

Thats an interesting theory....or maybe Escavalier is really fast compared to humans.
  18. RegiFlame150

RegiFlame150

Regigigas takes after me :P
  19. Flareon

Flareon

This theory explains everything.
  20. kaps

kaps

yeah, I've heard about this before, and I really like it. ever since it's been how I've thought of speed. the only thing is that theoretically then fast pokemon would be better at dodging attacks due to a better reaction time, but alas it isn't perfect
  21. Jean mi

Jean mi

It actually happens in the anime but I'm glad it's not the case in the game : being unable to hit ninjask seems annoying as f***.
  22. callforjudgement

callforjudgement

Very high movement speed tends to translate into accuracy or evasion in Pokémon, rather than speed or priority. (Look at the flavour on, say, Double Team or Aerial Ace.) Although sometimes it's used for priority too (Extremespeed).
  23. Zentrius

Zentrius

[​IMG]

For some strange reason, when I was younger I originally thought Wailmer's eyes were the little dots on the top, it was dificult to tell apart the differences between the four dots on RSE, though.
  24. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

That makes it look even goofier, haha
  25. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

I still sometimes think Chandelure has the ability Levitate, it just seems like he's floating in his sprite.

I mean, look at that: [​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)