Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver - The Offical Competitive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
are there new hold items introduced in this game? i was dreaming for a Sleep Orb for a long time now..

and how about new abilities? or even old pokemon getting other abilities?
No, that would make it not compatible with DPPt.

HGSS is still part of Generation IV so there will most likely be not new abilities or pokemon with some other abilities (compatible issue again).

I personally prefer shards of BP for move tutor, especially since I don't really play at the battle frontier much.

The ES Dragonite hype is too much, its pointless. What are people going to revenge exactly? I'd rather do a mix set with Draco / Super / Earthquake / Fire Blast than fit in Extremespeed there
I made that point a few posts ago. Also either fire blast or Earthquake for Extreme Spd. lol

Witchcraft23: Well that's just another reason to continue with the battle frontier lol.

Not necessarily, Platinum has Griseous Orb which wasn't in Diamond/Pearl. Still, I don't think there are any new hold items, just saying it is possible.
But the Griseous Orb was something for Giratina which also happen to be the mascot for Platinum and they probably needed an item to make the Origin Forme (with the movie coming out and such). Unless there happens to be a Ho-Oh movie, I wouldn't count on new items unless they are for Ho-Oh or Lugia.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
So is the list in the OP the list of all the new moves that pokemon now learn? (as it there won't be anything added?)

...I think Game Freak knew what they were doing with String Shot. Before you say, "lol, string shot is for n00bs," there is one practical use for it: The new no-switch metagame in Shoddy 2. String Shot will hit ALL 6 opponents, and in a metagame devoid of stat-upers, that could get hectic. I can see teams that run a Scarf Ninjask just to lower the opponents speed.

...I think Game Freak knew what they were doing with String Shot. Before you say, "lol, string shot is for n00bs," there is one practical use for it: The new no-switch metagame in Shoddy 2. String Shot will hit ALL 6 opponents, and in a metagame devoid of stat-upers, that could get hectic. I can see teams that run a Scarf Ninjask just to lower the opponents speed.
I somehow very highly doubt Gamefreak knows or cares about what a not-yet-released simulator will do, much less make something that specifically caters to something about said simulator that isn't even in the main games.

They actually care about that? I think they just added move tutors of moves that are only seen on some pokemons. Not many pokemon's had tailwind, low kick, heal bell, etc. Also, low kick Weavile! Now Weavile has a moderately decent way to hand those steel types.

Pardon my Ignorance, but what the hell is this "no switch" nonsense?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I've got a great SR'd L50 Lugia from XD with Psycho Boost. Does anyone know if I can transfer it to HG and Heartscale the rest of the special moves onto it? That would be really nice! :)

Pardon my Ignorance, but what the hell is this "no switch" nonsense?
Shoddy Battle 2 will feature a Sextuple (6v6) battle mode, where all of the Pokemon are out at once. That's what's being talked about.

@mattj: Don't see why you couldn't. You just need to follow the chain of XD-->GBA Game-->DS Game, and you'll be set.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Users of Tail Wind:

Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Zubat, Golbat, Venomoth, Scyther, Aerodactyl, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Dragonite, Mew, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Ledyba, Ledian, Crobat, Togetic, Natu, Xatu, Yanma, Murkrow, Gligar, Scizor, Mantine, Skarmory, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Beautifly, Dustox, Shiftry, Taillow, Swellow, Wingull, Pelipper, Masquerain, Volbeat, Illumise, Vibrava, Flygon, Swablu, Altaria, Castform, Tropius, Salamence, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Drifloon, Drifblim, Honchkrow, Chatot, Finneon, Lumineon, Togekiss, Yanmega, Gliscor, Arceus, Giratina-O, Shaymin-S.

That's quite a lot. Does anyone think that this move will have potential in this new metagame? There are a lot of viable users and it could be very useful on teams with pokemon that have amazing movepools but are held back by middling speed (Sharpedo, Nidoking, Blaziken). Thoughts?

Users of Tail Wind:

Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Zubat, Golbat, Venomoth, Scyther, Aerodactyl, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Dragonite, Mew, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Ledyba, Ledian, Crobat, Togetic, Natu, Xatu, Yanma, Murkrow, Gligar, Scizor, Mantine, Skarmory, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Beautifly, Dustox, Shiftry, Taillow, Swellow, Wingull, Pelipper, Masquerain, Volbeat, Illumise, Vibrava, Flygon, Swablu, Altaria, Castform, Tropius, Salamence, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Drifloon, Drifblim, Honchkrow, Chatot, Finneon, Lumineon, Togekiss, Yanmega, Gliscor, Arceus, Giratina-O, Shaymin-S.

That's quite a lot. Does anyone think that this move will have potential in this new metagame? There are a lot of viable users and it could be very useful on pokemon that have amazing movepools but are held back by middling speed (Sharpedo, Nidoking, Blaziken). Thoughts?
It's like giving them an agility that only lasts for two attack, and redues their moveslot by one. I don't think it's going to take the metagame by storm anytime soon.

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Shoddy Battle 2 will feature a Sextuple (6v6) battle mode, where all of the Pokemon are out at once. That's what's being talked about.
Is it bad that I consider this a little too over the top? Although, if people like it, it's fine, I guess.

Has anyone determined when Suicune's IVs are set in HGSS? Also, what will be the best way to get good IVs and natures for Raikou and Entei?

Users of Tail Wind:

That's quite a lot. Does anyone think that this move will have potential in this new metagame? There are a lot of viable users and it could be very useful on teams with pokemon that have amazing movepools but are held back by middling speed (Sharpedo, Nidoking, Blaziken). Thoughts?
Perhaps in doubles as Tailwind with one and SD/NP with the other can be strong. You'd have no protection and Trick Room would kill you but I suppose as a follow up pair it could work.

I mean, you don't need much time in doubles to sweep so the 2 turns could be enough. I suppose Tailwind + Leer could be alright if it's final 2 v. final 2 since it'd be like "Rain Dance" for both pokemon. I suppose in 3 v 3 or more in Shoddy 2, you'd really see Tailwind work better, along with all the other field moves like Gravity, Trick Room, Reflect, Light Screen etc. A free Agility for 6 pokemon is pretty sweet.

I doubt it'll be game breaking though but it's a cool move in theory.

Is it bad that I consider this a little too over the top? Although, if people like it, it's fine, I guess.

Has anyone determined when Suicune's IVs are set in HGSS? Also, what will be the best way to get good IVs and natures for Raikou and Entei?
Because Suicune is a stationary legendary, I would assume that its IVs are set whenever you speak to it - which is good news. Raikou and Entei are probably set as soon as you set them free from the Burned tower though, which isn't as good.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
mismagius - nasty plot
honchkrow - brave bird
feraligatr - aqua jet (+torrent+swords dance+flail+salac+endure = win)
aggron - head smash
walrein - super fang

holy...

crawdaunt - dragon dance

wtf??

forry - pain split

hells yeah.

urasaring - belly drum

Looking over what has been said, and all the new moves Pokemon are getting, there is going to be a huge Metagame shift.

Edit: Holy Christ, Featherdance Piplup! I see a new moveset coming, Bulky Penguin with that move will stop all Phsyical Pokemon attempting to set up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)