Pokémon trivia you may have missed!

I couldn't find a thread for trivia, so I'm making this one. This thread is for stuff you have observed in Pokemon that others may have missed.

I'll start.

The founder of La Veyan Satanism was Anton Szandor La Vey.

Hydreigon's Japanese name is Sazandora, which can be romanized into... Szandor.

DAVE'S HAIR IS A BIRD!

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
All of the gym trainers in Elesa's gym in B2/W2 have names that are all famous for working with electricity.
Nikola, for Nikola Tesler.
Fleming, for John Ambrose Fleming.
Ampere, for Andre-marie ampere.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
All of the gym trainers in Elesa's gym in B2/W2 have names that are all famous for inventing an electrical appliance!
Nikola, for Nikola Tesler.
Fleming, for Alexander Fleming.
Ampere, for Andre-marie ampere.
some of your info is inaccurate. tesla was an inventor, but was best known for his work with ac current. ampere wasn't an inventor, but he did work in the field of electricity. fleming is not related to electricity in any way, but he did discover penicillin. the name references are likely correct, though.

1. If you check the Wii in the messed-up room in Black/White, you'll see it is still fully intact.
2. People actually do eat Pokémon - a scripture in the Canalave Library confirms that.
3. Pokémon Red and Blue are 2 editions built out of three - they took the bugfixes and graphics from Pocket Monsters Blue and the encounters from Pocket Monsters Red and Green.
4. Remoraid is not only based on an Archerfish, but also a handgun. This justifies its evolution into Octillery, who is not only an octopus, but also an artillery turret.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Route 40 in Pokemon Gold/Silver contains four Swimmers, three of which share the same names as the judges of American Idol (Simon, Paula, and Randall). The real kicker is that these games were released in English in October 2000, less than one year before Pop Idol first aired, which American Idol was based on. American Idol's first season began in the summer of 2002. Of course this is almost certainly a huge coincidence, but it is still awesome.

According to Ken Sugimori, Hydreigon and its pre-evolutions were originally intended to be robotic dragons based around tanks before being redesigned into their current forms. The purple track like markings under Hydreigon are what's left over from it's original design. Plus the whole "Ein Zwei, Drei" thing going on.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
According to an interview with Ken Sugimori, Shellos and Gastrodon were originally designed to be in the Generation 3 games, but were removed late in the development because they were too similar to Swampert. There are two unused cries in the data of pokemon ruby and sapphire that can be accessed via debug mode that may have belonged to them. To take this further, Shellos and Gastrodon also have unused backsprites in the generation 4 games that are apparently their gen3 designs. They can be seen here:

Gastrodon's beta sprite is even referenced in its pokedex entry in Platinum version, which states.

Long ago, its entire back was shielded with a sturdy shell. There are traces of it left in its cells.

Looking at the beta sprite, it DOES kinda look like it has a shell, cool little easter egg for anyone who knew about the interview/the sprites.

(damn i wish gamefreak left them in gen3, gastro would probably be pretty legit in adv, lol).

According to an interview with Ken Sugimori, Shellos and Gastrodon were originally designed to be in the Generation 3 games, but were removed late in the development because they were too similar to Swampert.
Oh yeah I heard about that one, they were in the Beta versions of R/S before being removed. I guess having three relatively bulky Water/Ground types would be too much of the same thing.

IDK where I heard this but if you play certain Poke's cries in slow motion on the D/P Pokedex you can hear sound effects from Mario games. Sounds like a load of crock though if you ask me.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pretty known facts, I think, but:

According to the Pokédex, most Pokémon have a density lower than that of water, meaning that nearly all of them float. Even Golem and Steelix. Wailord, being approximated to a cylinder 15 metres long and 5 metres in diameter, is just barely heavier than air measured per volume unit. On the other hand, popular fan theories suggest that the numbers in the Pokédex are wildly off, seeing as they are filled in by a ten-year-old with no training whatsoever.

Shedinja is the only Pokémon whose HP can be its lowest stat.

The background music for the "Chansey Dance" in Sevault Canyon in FR/LG, is actually the first few chords of the music from Rustboro City Pokémon Trainer's School in R/S/E. If you listen closely, you can hear the first two notes of the school melody at the end of the dance.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ironically enough, despite Shedinja having the lowest HP stat of any Pokemon, it yields 2 HP EVs, double its actual HP stat.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah, another interesting easter egg is that the Nosepass evolution family actually got head smash as an egg move in Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, but there was no Pokemon in their egg group that actually learned Head Smash, making it unobtainable, because gamefreak realized they messed up, it was removed in gen5.

Garchomp was originally an intended evolution for Sharpedo which is why the two carry on the same star shape on their foreheads, I'm not sure however if this meant that Garchomp would have kept its current type or not

Garchomp was originally an intended evolution for Sharpedo which is why the two carry on the same star shape on their foreheads, I'm not sure however if this meant that Garchomp would have kept its current type or not
I just had the idea of a speed boost Garchomp flash through my mind. Now I'm scared.

-Arceus is stated to have created the world with its many arms, but can't learn any hand-based moves. Meanwhile, Wooper can learn Ice Punch.
-Lugia holds the record for the most mascot appearances in the main series Pokemon games, with 3 (That is, if you don't count Charizard on both the Japanese and American copies of Red).
-Jirachi and Manaphy are the only two Pokemon not given any place or location in the Pokemon games (although you can see a picture of Manaphy at the Pokemon Mansion in Gen 4).
-Celebi has the record for the Pokemon available the longest with the least distribution: only ever officially given away twice. It wasn't even available until Gen 3, years after Crystal (however, in Japan, it was able to be caught by a cell phone event, a feature that was taken out of the American version)
-Several Pokemon will not close their eyes when they sleep in Gen 5. This mostly applies to robotic Pokemon, but Heatran and Darkrai will not close their eyes at all.
-Heatran has the most double resistances of any Pokemon, with four (Grass, Steel, Ice, and Bug).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I think not. Sure, they are both sharks with similar main colour and a star, but from there on, the differences pile up. They are far too different for being designed as evolutionary related.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shedinja is the only Pokémon whose HP can be its lowest stat.
Diglett, Duskull, Mime Jr., Feebas, Magnemite, Horsea, Staryu, Kabuto, Venipede, Ekans, Tynamo, Dugtrio, Vanilliite, Charmander, Cyndaquil, Natu, Mr. Mime, Dratini, the rotom alternate formes and possibly more i cbf to check disagree with you.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Diglett, Duskull, Mime Jr., Feebas, Magnemite, Horsea, Staryu, Kabuto, Venipede, Ekans, Tynamo, Dugtrio, Vanilliite, Charmander, Cyndaquil, Natu, Mr. Mime, Dratini, the rotom alternate formes and possibly more i cbf to check disagree with you.
I meant actual stats, not base stats. Unless I've misunderstood the stat listing in the Strategy dex, the max. HP of a Pokémon will always be higher than at least one of the other stats. Except in Shedinja's case, that is.

EDIT: You got me at the Rotom formes. It's possible for Rotom-A to have all the other stats higher than its HP, if it has a +Atk -Def. nature. I stand corrected.

I didn't hear anything about Crawdaunt sharing a tie but it does have the star, venomoth looks nothing like venonat, the relationship of chomp and sharpedo seems about average, while on the subject venomoth was supposed to switch with butterfree as caterpies final evo, you can even see that caterpie shares more traits with the moth than its actual evolution and venonats the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)