Pokémon trivia you may have missed!

Can someone fill me on this reference?
Vincent van Gough? He was a Dutch painter. One of his more famous paintings was a vase of flowers and I think he was the one who cut off his own ear.

Also this isn't really trivia or true but does Sableye remind anyone else of the Shadow Heartless from Kindgom Hearts?

There is a little resemblance IMO.

Vincent van Gough? He was a Dutch painter. One of his more famous paintings was a vase of flowers and I think he was the one who cut off his own ear.

Also this isn't really trivia or true but does Sableye remind anyone else of the Shadow Heartless from Kindgom Hearts?

There is a little resemblance IMO.
Oh Van Gogh. Yeah that's not really trivia IMO.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Empoleon is clearly based in name off of Napoleon Bonaparte but they also have the same height of 1.7m.

I think not. Sure, they are both sharks with similar main colour and a star, but from there on, the differences pile up. They are far too different for being designed as evolutionary related.
Maybe the art design for Sharpedo was just a beta for the art of Garchomp or one of its pre-evos, but it later became 2 different pokemon?

Speaking of beta art...

Blaziken, Latias and Latios were once all one Pokemon in the very early design stages of ruby and sapphire. What caused them to split Latiken (as it is unofficially known) into multiple Pokemon and what happened to the girl riding it is unknown, but shit is crazy yo!

Napoleons height was never something special. He was just surrounded by bodyguards so big anyone would have looked like a dwarf in compasion. Nonetheless, reference!

How about the story of some veteran from Challenger Cave in BW1 who moved to Wellspring Cave in BW2... and kept the exact same team (except for his snorlax or something else delevelling 2 levels iirc)

Some weird speculation

The Item you found on Challenger's cave

Black Belt(IIRC) which is an item for Fighting Type
Stone Edge TM

Now remember the backstory of that cave, the Legendary pokemon stuff and you get the idea

I didn't know for Mozart, but I think it's coincidence !
Probably :P

Also:

Holy shit on the Lati@s/Blaziken thing!

That beta Gastrodon sprite was very neat as well.

Not really trivia, but still something i would like to say:

If you invert Shiny Zoroark's colors, you get N's (To an extent). That and the fact Zoroark is seen talking in B/W 2 hints N is a Zoroark (Though thats probably a coincidence, thats still a rather common theory).

In accordance with all this Gen 5 chat, What is the mystery behind the abyssal ruins? Does anyone know? It seems like this is the correct thread to ask this question.

In accordance with all this Gen 5 chat, What is the mystery behind the abyssal ruins? Does anyone know? It seems like this is the correct thread to ask this question.
Bulbapedia has this to say about the cryptic writings there:

Bulbapedia said:
On 1F, the inscriptions talk about a brave king who fought hatred and pursued peace. In the middle of the lines, it states about the King turning on corners. These corners correspond with the intersections while entering the ruins. Every time the player comes to a choice in the path, either going straight or turning, can be considered a corner. Following this pattern, turning on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th intersects, and continuing straight on the others, will lead the player very close to the center of 1F, regardless of what entrance is taken.
This key of 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th corners works on all floors, (except obviously on the last floor) and will lead the player to the Relic Crown.
The inscriptions on the 2nd and 3rd floors tell the player to "shine light" and "act strong" if agreed, respectively. Both at the end of these floors, the player must use Flash and Strength, respectively.
Source

Essentially, they're just directions on how to proceed through the ruins to the farthest floor.

Not 100% sure on the transcribed runes from the 4th floor, though:
4th Floor Runes said:
King defeated ③ alone.
④ joined King in a day.
King called ⑤ beings.
King is hope and future.
The great King ⑥.
They've been discussed to death 'round the internets, to little avail. :P

Not really trivia, but if you ever want to shatter people's perceptions of Pokemon, this is always a good thing to tell them:

In the games...

Blastoise is 5'3"
Venusaur is 6'7"
Charizard is 5'7"

Then sit back as they go NOOOOOOO.

Actually, in general, Pokemon are smaller than people think they are/how they're depicted in the anime.

Not really trivia, but if you ever want to shatter people's perceptions of Pokemon, this is always a good thing to tell them:

In the games...

Blastoise is 5'3"
Venusaur is 6'7"
Charizard is 5'7"

Then sit back as they go NOOOOOOO.

Actually, in general, Pokemon are smaller than people think they are/how they're depicted in the anime.
Lol yeah it's pretty funny when you read and think about this stuff. I'm 6 feet tall and 135lbs or so (yes I'm rather skinny but that'll only make the comparisons funnier). Let's compare!

I'm 5 inches taller than Charizard (which, in the anime is depicted as being taller than most of the adults by a significant amount. Apparently everyone in the Pokemon world is really short). It weights 199 pounds though, which I suppose makes it equivalent to a normal stocky person.

But that's normal. Machamp, is only 5'3", making me 3/4 of a foot taller than it. It does, however, weigh 286 pounds. That ratio seems a little bit... off.

You think of Zebstrika as a horse right? Better start thinking of it as a pony, because it's the same height as Machamp. Rapidash? Only 4 inches taller. A warhorse that ain't!

Now here's something in the other direction. You know Sharpedo? Bet you didn't imagine it being almost 6 feet long! Suddenly that mouth seems a LOT bigger!

How about some legendaries? Did you ever think from Cresselia's sprite and stats that it was less than 5 feet tall? What about the Genies? Same size!

On the other hand Glailie is ALSO the same size. Bet you didn't imagine it being 5 feet in diameter now did you? It also weighs 565 pounds! Apparently the show's animators didn't imagine it that way either. Unless Charizard IS actually supposed to be 12 feet tall.

What about Latias and Latios? They must be at least 10 feet lo- nope 4'7 inches. I take this as just further evidence that Ash is a midget.

Here's some other fun comparisons. Did you know that Nidoking is the same height as Ledian, Carnivine and Luxray? And that height is 4'7''? Suddenly the "king" seems a lot less imposing.

Did you know that Thundurus adds almost 5 feet onto his height when he changes formes? Yup, from 4'11 to 9'10. Funnily enough, his weight doesn't change at all during the transformation somehow.

To contrast, Landorus LOSES 8 inches, becoming 4'03'' in his Therian forme. That may sound small, but it's actually on par with a large real life tiger. I'm assuming that it's at least 8 feet long like a real one too.

Now for some weird ratios, did you know that Onix is 28 feet long but only weighs 436 pounds? 436 pounds sounds like a lot you say? Well remember Glalie from earlier weights in at 565 pounds, and that your average Saltwater Crocodile weighs in at around 1000 pounds and 12 feet long. And THOSE aren't made of fucking ROCK.

Anyway you get the idea. The people who write in those hieghts and weights for Pokemon have NO idea of scale.

Speaking about weight, I always think of Butterfree: 70.5lbs of pure butterfly!

Also, the only pokés not changing weight upon evolution are Gastly -> Haunter and Grimer -> Muk

There's a guy in one of the towns early in BW2 who makes what's surely a Kingdom Hearts reference, handing you a Dusk Ball and then saying "I believe it can even catch and control the darkness found in hearts."

Napoleons height was never something special. He was just surrounded by bodyguards so big anyone would have looked like a dwarf in compasion. Nonetheless, reference!
no, the myth stems from the fact that the french used a different unit of measure; their 5'2" was equivalent to our 5'7", which was average back then

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
When Magnemite evolves, it merges with 2 other Magnemite. Each Magnemite then becomes heavier by more than 300%. Golly.
Maybe it's something like how a proton has roughly 100 times the mass of three individual quarks? Then again, Game Freak doesn't exactly consist of the most scientifically literate of individuals, so I'm not getting my hopes up. (Grimer supposedly came from sludge irradiated by X-rays from the moon....Really?)

Surskits line is the only one that takes super effective damage from an attack type that was previously not very effective upon evolution, its also along with scyther the only line to replace one of its types with another upon evolution

Surskits line is the only one that takes super effective damage from an attack type that was previously not very effective upon evolution, its also along with scyther the only line to replace one of its types with another upon evolution
You forgot Tyranitar, he changes from ground/rock to rock/dark on evolution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)