1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WideSlash

WideSlash

I would love to see another side game in the redukn of Orre. I want Cipher to come back. I kinda want to see Michael (from XD) sister to become the main protagonist.

Any suggestions?
  2. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Now this isn't even tangentially related to XY
  3. WideSlash

WideSlash

Hmm... Since they are doing GTS on XY, I wonder how popular hackmon creating apps are going to work.

I honestly think that Luvdisc deserves & needs an evoulution.
    It should be Water/Fairy. Also, about Mawile supposedly becoming Fairy, did you know that it was based on Japanese folklore? Aka... Fairytale ;)
  4. ChaosABliss

ChaosABliss

I think it well be kinda popular.... People don't use it much... Most is Wi-if battlers(thats lik 13.4% of the fan-base)
  5. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

I want anyone who does that crap of putting a pokemon in GTS with an impossible trade to get it thrown away WITH a report system for those stupid trades of *insert any horrible pokemon here* for lvl 100 Mew. I am tired of GTS being unusable because of them that I seriously want to make a lvl 1 Reshiram with the stats and moves of Magikarp just to get back at them.

There will be plenty of retypings I am sure but there are so many evolutions we want but I doubt they will ever happen. *still hoping for Pinsir evolution*
  6. deluge

deluge

Well, if they're serious about this whole Dragon checking business they'll make Sylveon something like:

It'll have enough speed to outrun most, enough SpA to KO most, and enough Def to hopefully live a neutral hit if it ends up eating an EQ/Superpower instead of a predicted Dragon attack.
  7. Shiruba

Shiruba

back up, back up, back up. they didn't say that sylveon would check the dragons, they said the faerie type would check the dragons. key difference. that's like saying that umbreon will check psychics. they've already had two eeveelutions specialize in special attack as well - all of the others have only one. why do you think that they'd do that a third time?
  8. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

I did say Fairy would check Dragons but Syleon being the image of Fairy would make sense for it to check dragons.
  9. Shiruba

Shiruba

true, but similar logic can apply to pikachu - it's the posterboy for pokemon, shouldn't it be the most powerful?

well... not exactly.
  10. cant say

cant say no really I cant
    is a Pre-Contributor

MONO-FIRE ON FIRST PLAYTHROUGH YEAHHHHH

But seriously, I went with both Tepig and Victini in my first playthrough of Black and it was a little tedious balancing their training. I didn't want to swap one out either coz I liked the whole starter and legendary together thing. Anyway my point is I see what people are saying

Now that I think of it I might do a mono-fire run to start! You've got a flyer in Talonflame, and if the rumors are true about that water/fire pistol shrimp ive got a surfer.

Gee I'm excited
  11. Shiruba

Shiruba

yeah, x/y definitely seem like the pokemon games for a fire monotype thing - three [four?] pokes already revealed that look pretty cool - chances are that if this is it or the other ones are rubbish, there'll be a few from previous gens that look okay.

also, serebii looks sick now, haha.
  12. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well not...really.
    Pikachu was designed before it was chosen as mascot.
    Clefairy & Poliwhirl were in the running, too

e: What I'm getting at is that if Slyveon is the fairy type's mascot, and the one most people are likely to want to use, it should have a good chance of actually being good against dragons
  13. Shiruba

Shiruba

oooh i didn't know about poliwhirl... maybe that's why it's red's first pokemon in pokemon adventures.
    though those two are still pretty weak too so the same logic applies.

true, but by sole virtue of the type being [possibly?] immune to dragons and super-effective against them, i wouldn't think the stats need to be optimal. having 130 in... gosh, defence, maybe [a lot of the dragons are physical], and then 110 in special attack would still work.
    [i thought speed at first but then that'd be directly copying the best and second-best stats of jolteon, and i'm thinking they wouldn't do that]
  14. WideSlash

WideSlash

Every generation, egg and breeding mechanics have changed. Now one has yet to mention Pokemon breeding. Why?
  15. Namine

Namine

To be honest i wanted fennekin from the start.
    When i saw Chespin i thought: Grass oshawott.
    Froakie: Another frog?
    Fenniken: Ok we got vulpix, and Zorua who both look like you but because i like those mons i chose you!

When i saw the starters i thought gamefreak ran out of idea's but now that i see the otherss I think they ogt enought :)
  16. shytende

shytende

I can understand this... The only time I had 2 Pokemon who shared the same type was with Lucario and Magneton, because Lucario is mainly a fight type

Well, Fennekin seems more specially oriented, and the others seems more physically oriented.

If Froakie is really Water/Fight, it will interract with both Clauncher and Pancham, and I want these both on my team already.

It will also depend of the evolution, obviously. For now, Fennekin stay my favorite
  17. Coronis

Coronis NORM!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

I just want to catch 'em all.
  18. reaverz

reaverz

Probably because there's not a lot to go by as far as predicting goes. Though now that you bring it up, they do improve on breeding mechanics and make it easier to get competitive Pokemon with every passing generation by making inheriting mechanics more convenient.

Perhaps they'll improve the Power Item parent mechanics so that you can actually pass down two IVs instead of having a 50/50 chance between them? Like if one parent had 31 Atk and a Power Bracer and the other parent had 31 Spe and a Power Anklet and the two bred, all their offspring would have guaranteed 31 IVs in both Attack and Speed. This seems like the kind of breeding improvement that GameFreak would implement, given the changes they've made to Everstone over the years...
  19. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

The problem with that is it already works that way iirc. And then you cannot pass down a Nature as easily. The breeding Mechanics in BW2 were bad for abilities, I hope they change that back. It's usually easier to breed good Pokemon in BW1.
  20. Yveltal

Yveltal

As far as breeding goes, I still think the best inference(assuming breeding egg moves isn't changing, because why would it?) is that the egg groups with the most Fairy types in them will have a leg up in choosing their coverage moves because of the potential range of access to Fairy attacks.
  21. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

I think the best way to improve breeding is to have the baby always inherit the highest IV. Kind of like a dominant trait where high IVs are pigmented skin and low IVs are white skin, and pigmented>white. So if you're breeding a Garchomp with 25/30/28/16/14/24 with a Salamence that has 26/31/31/20/5/18, the baby comes out 26/31/31/28/20/24. Always. This way you don't have to decide between an Everstone to pass down Nature or a bracer to pass down IVs, or have to have long chains to pass down the right IVs to the right mon so they can breed with someone else. Or, you know, spend countless hours biking and have hundreds of "worthless" baby Pokemon.

So if you have a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto you're set for life, basically.
  22. Blazi

Blazi

Yes please. Getting good IVs is still pretty hard even if you have flawless parents. I never fully understood RNG'ing, so that wasn't an option. I hope Gamefreak will implement this mechanic in X & Y (or even Z), as breeding just takes to much time atm. And besides, it makes sense to work this way, as it's pretty much the same in the real world just like you said, with like brown eyes dominating green eyes genes iirc.
  23. Ghostbone

Ghostbone

I kind of doubt this if only because all those types seem unrelated to each other, and that would destroy the whole, resistanceless sableye/spiritomb thing.

Most types are weak to similar stuff to what they're not very effective against, or super effective against stuff they resist. That leak just has random typings listed in each area and lists nothing that fairy resists....
  24. lightningsnowstorm

lightningsnowstorm

One thing I thought of for breeding is maybe to have a hold item to pass EVs.

Though, looking back, this isn't very useful.
  25. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

Alright, let's recap.

-Psychic hits Poison SE, yet they both resist fighting.

-Dark hits Ghost SE, yet the both hit Psychic SE.

-Bug hits Fire SE, but they both hit Grass SE.

And there are most likely other examples.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)