1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazi

Blazi

Yes please. Getting good IVs is still pretty hard even if you have flawless parents. I never fully understood RNG'ing, so that wasn't an option. I hope Gamefreak will implement this mechanic in X & Y (or even Z), as breeding just takes to much time atm. And besides, it makes sense to work this way, as it's pretty much the same in the real world just like you said, with like brown eyes dominating green eyes genes iirc.
  2. Ghostbone

Ghostbone

I kind of doubt this if only because all those types seem unrelated to each other, and that would destroy the whole, resistanceless sableye/spiritomb thing.

Most types are weak to similar stuff to what they're not very effective against, or super effective against stuff they resist. That leak just has random typings listed in each area and lists nothing that fairy resists....
  3. lightningsnowstorm

lightningsnowstorm

One thing I thought of for breeding is maybe to have a hold item to pass EVs.

Though, looking back, this isn't very useful.
  4. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

Alright, let's recap.

-Psychic hits Poison SE, yet they both resist fighting.

-Dark hits Ghost SE, yet the both hit Psychic SE.

-Bug hits Fire SE, but they both hit Grass SE.

And there are most likely other examples.
  5. Aasgier

Aasgier

Let's look at the Fairy type, and what is rumored about them. At first, noticeable is that there isn't anything known that Fairy might resist, which is odd, especially considering the two weaknesses the Fairy type has. That being said, there is more about it and I assume more resistances and weaknesses on both sides of the spectrum have to be revealed.

There are also too few types that resist Fairy, I think, and as such, that the leak only told half the story. Thinking about fairies, numerous weaknesses and resistances come to mind. And as such, I am going to feed the rumor and make my guess. Things with a question mark are things which are even more guesswork than the rest, and things marked as confirmed, are, well... confirmed and as such not a guess at all.

Fairy offensive:
    Strong against: Dragon (confirmed), Fighting (?), Dark (?)
    Weak against: Grass, Fire, Psychic, Steel, Bug (?)
    Neutral : Everything else

Fairy defensive:
    Immunity: Dragon (?)
    Resists: Fighting, Grass, Bug, Dragon (?)
    Weak to: Poison, Steel, Normal (?)
    Neutral: Everything else
    Uncertain: Dark

A few things are obvious; Fairies won't harm the nature they live in, but they aren't harmed by them either (mutual resistances to Grass and Bug). Fairies can't really touch fire and smaller ones are afraid of it, (and as such, Fire resists Fairy), though larger fairies (giants and witches) probably won't be too bothered by it (and thus, Fairy is not weak to fire). Creatures with a powerful mind won't be afraid of fairy magic and can possibly easily deflect it through psychokinesis (Psychic resist).
    In folklore, Fairies slay dragons (translating to weaknesses as well as resists and a possible immunity), and it's pretty hard to hit a nimble fairy with a fist, or to actually hurt one if it is a giant (resist to Fighting, possible weakness). Fairies in folklore are often killed by sword, much like witches and other magic creatures, whether humanoid or not (translates to being weak to Steel as well as Steel resisting it). Fairies despise toxins for obvious reasons, even more than anything else (resulting in a weakness to Poison).
    That being said, humans often killed people rumored to be witches and the likes in the past, and as such, Fairies are weak to (stupid?) Normals, provided GF is willing to give Normals a type advantage to something, that is.
    Then there is the match-up against Dark, which I don't know squat about. Fairies and fairy magic in some tales and ESPECIALLY recent stories is extremely effective against evilness (Harry Potter as well as Eragon comes to mind), while taking nothing from it in return (again, Harry Potter comes to mind). However, Fairies also despise evil and trickery, which could translate to a weakness as well, but though ambivalent, also to a resistance as they are equipped to deal with it better than most, especially in the numerous elf stories out there.
  6. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

It's from a while back, but here's Aerophoenix's post. It's on the 119th page btw.
    kadabrium posted his calculations regarding the Fairy Wind on Serebii which confirms that Dark-type is indeed weak to Fairy.

I expanded upon them a bit and it seems that it is going to be an Astonish/Struggle Bug/Incinerate clone.

Alternatively, it will the first single hit move with 25 BP.
  7. Majestic Electric

Majestic Electric

On the topic of Fairy-type attacks, does anyone else think the believed Psychic attack that Fennekin used in the first trailer is actually a Fairy-type move? So, Fennekin's final evo could be Fire / Fairy. This has been on my mind for awhile now and I feel it could a possibility.

(Yes, I know this has been talked about TO DEATH)
  8. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

the pink wavy lines are usually a psychic thing
    I mean, sure, it's possible but ehhh probably not
  9. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

The Eeveelutions have a tendency toward special attacks, so I don't see Sylveon's having super high special attack or speed. If I had to guess, I'd go with something like this (or at least it's what I'd like):

130 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 95 SpA / 65 SpD / 110 Spe

Flareon is the only other Eeveelution with 95 SpA, so I could see that working. 110 speed lets it tie Espeon, while 130 HP gives it fair bulk despite the lesser defenses. This would make it a decent attacker, albeit the weakest of Eevee's evolutions, while giving it enough speed and defenses to pull off supportive fairy moves.
  10. eduardosunshine

eduardosunshine

IcyMan28, didn't someone here did the calcs and stated that sylveon's hp is in the realms of base 95?
  11. ~Eon~

~Eon~

Please gamefreak no more rock/steel/ground types stahp D:

Or at least make high attack/speed. Even with massive defenses they still fall easy
  12. WideSlash

WideSlash

In the trailer upon releasing the Fairy type, it showed Sylveon with much less base HP than 130. Actually closer to 95 Base HP.
  13. eduardosunshine

eduardosunshine

so, when are the next info going to be released? any date revealead?
  14. Zowayix

Zowayix

July 15, 2013, or a few days before that. Always assume that there's going to be no new info between issues of CoroCoro; you'll be right the majority of the time.
  15. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

this time around, there's a good chance of us getting -some- information on theeee 11th, I believe?
    It's when the mewtwo special airs. Ideally we get to find out anything about it.
  16. absolfusion

absolfusion

knowing gamefreak, they probably won't actually SHOW the IV/EV numbers to you but probably use a star rating system like for the pokethlon, and maybe like a meter next to your stats showing roughly how much "progress" you made
  17. lightningsnowstorm

lightningsnowstorm

Well, since we're on the subject of sylveon's stats, I thought of this stat distribution:
    HP:95 ATK: 60 DEF:130 Sp. ATK: 110 Sp. Def: 65 Spe:65
    or, since it outsped salamence(I think?)
    HP: 95 Atk:60 DEF:65 SP.ATk:110 Sp. DEF:65 Spe:130
  18. Ghostbone

Ghostbone

Uhh, I can't tell whether you're agreeing with me or not. You're just listing examples to my second point that when you resist a type you often hit it super effectively back.

But like, if we look at ghosts for example.
    They're not very effective against dark type, and dark type is super effective against ghost.

Ice is not very effective vs steel, steel is super effective vs it.

Steel is not very effective vs fire, fire is super effective vs it.

Almost all types have these relationships, Dragon's the only other one that kinda doesn't. But it at least has the whole, resist all the elementals except ice thing. So it makes sense. The leaked fairy matchups don't really have any rhyme or reason as far as I can tell, besides it being somewhat related to the fighting/psychic/dark/ghost group.
  19. Namine

Namine

Wait fairy wind 25 BP?
    Unless it has some good special effect people ain't gonna use that move.
  20. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

Why do people assume that Sylveon is "special" and not "physical" ? Maybe he has 95/110/60/65/60/130 (Something like that)
  21. Shiruba

Shiruba

i was thinking that, too. moonblast could very well be like earthquake in the sense that it's physical although it does not directly make contact.
  22. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

Also a minor thing, Charizard's feet are actually not touching the ground, just like most flying Pokémon we saw previously. They are instead diagonal to the ground. You can check yourself if you watch it on fullscreen or you can see the shadow and tail's location in this screencap.

I am posting this because of the previous discussion regarding which Pokémon will be elligable for Sky battles 30 or so pages back.
  23. PlatypusVenom

PlatypusVenom

Is this leak legit, or possible?
  24. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

Fairy confirmed, the type matchup reliable, but not confirmed yet. Yet the leaker had so many things right already that most people do beleive it's true.
  25. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Except for Dragon, which was confirmed to be weak to Fairy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)