Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also I should say I in no way believe that poster because come on it's not showing any new forms at all and some of the errors in Kanji for Kanto already stated.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even if that picture IS real, where the heck on it does it say: "These are the only mega evolutions ever."
The picture is absolutely 100% confirmed fake and good point.

On another note, I very interested to find out what type of pokeballs we will be getting this Gen.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What if MZoroark is disguised as a mon that could not MEvolve? So, yeah, Zoroark is probably not getting a MEvolution.
Um, so what? Doesn't mean it can't use Illusion still. Right now it can copy a pre-evo without any issue, why would Mega-evolution suddenly prevent it from copying other Pokemon (assuming it retains the ability)?

Last edited:
In the process of deciding which pokemon get mega evolutions, problems like these will come up.
If Zoroark can mega evolve, will it show through the illusion ability?
Option 1: Too problematic. Avoid giving Zoroark a mega evolution.
Option 2: Mega evolving breaks the illusion after use.
Option 3: Zoroark does not break the illusion by mega evolving, and it's changed form will not be seen until hit by an attack.
Information to help us pick which is most likely: Absolutely nothing. As pointed out, zoroark is not popular but neither was Mawile. You can really only suggest which one you find most plausible.

It's going to be interesting how in the future we'll be unsure of whether we want pokemon to gain new evolutions, or new mega evolutions.

Also, does the introduction of fairy mean the end of whining for a new type or will sound/sonics become the new light type? (guilty of being a light type whiner)

I actually think the best way for a possible MegaZoroark (I actually think it is very possible because I don't think Zoro is so unpopular as you guys say) is to give it a different abillity when it megaevolves, something like Speed Boost or Sheer force could be really interesting, as in the first case he could gain one free turn with Illusion from his normal form, MEvo, setup a Nasty Plot and sweep with +2 Spa and +1 (and growing) speed, while on the second case he would have enough power (assuming an extra SpA boost) to punish an opponent who mispredicts hard.

As for the list posted before I know it is fake but I hope it turns to somehow be almost completely right, I only miss MegaGyarados on that list.

Or, if Zoroark is copying a Pokemon who doesn't Mega Evolve, the Illusion breaks if you evolve it. If you copy a Pokemon who does Mega Evolve, he copies the evolution animation.

Guys, Zoroak's ability is Illusion but if it were to Megavolve then his Megaevolution should have to had Illusion too anything NOT called "the illusion is broken" to happen, and since all Megas released so far with the exception of Blaziken have changed their abilities then it's likely that if Zoroak's got a Megaforme then he would change abilities, at which point the moment Zoroak transforms he would break the illusion because he would no longer have the ability.

Well… Let’s take a look to determine whether or not this image is real or fake.

Luckily I have with me everyone’s favorite Detective Connoisseur, Cilan! Take it away! IT’S DETECTIVE TIME!

Cilan: Well, to a casual observer, this image looks rather convincing, seeing as every confirmed Mega Evolution so far is included in this image. However, things aren’t always what they seem. Something tastes off about this….
Ah ha!

Those squiggly lines! They have a familiar flavor…. I feel like I’ve seen them somewhere before…. That’s right! This is what it looks like when someone takes a picture of an electronic screen!

But why would someone do that?
Ash: Because they wanted a photo, but they only had a computer?
Cilan: That must be it!
But that’s not all that smells fishy about this image….

That’s right! There is no furigana to help kids read the kanji!
Iris: Yeah, kids like Ash.
Ash: Hey! I can read con gee just fine without furry…Wait what?
Iris: Oh yeah? What does that say Mister smarty pants!

Ash: What the—

Cilan: Ash! You’re a genius! You pointed out my next clue! There arekanji here that shouldn’t be here at all!

You see, the “Kanto” in Kanto region is never written with kanji but instead is written in katakana as カントー (which also separates it from the actual 関東/かんとう which is the east side of Japan for real)… in other words, this shouldn’t be here at all!
Which brings me to my next clue! Why does only our region, the Unova region, have the word “region” included? See? The last group of Pokemon is the only one to have it! If this were official information, it seems like a sloppy mistake indeed! They would all be consistent!

Something else about this seems off as well…
The actual text appears as though it is meant to say “Unlock the secrets of Mega Evolution”, but it is said in an unnatural (though still understandable) way…. I smell the aroma of a mechanical translator!

In other words! THIS IMAGE MUST BE A FAKE!

[source: http://therandominmyhead.tumblr.com/post/60668351783/kyurem-what-well-lets-take-a-look-to]

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think we can rule out Zoroark getting a Mega Evolution, guys.

Being bipedal, similarly to Lucario, having a single pre-evo, similarly to Lucario, starring in a movie, similarly to Lucario, and being among the first revealed Pokémon of its generation, similarly to Lucario, one would think that GameFreak intended Zoroark to be Lucario 2. It would make sense, Lucario was really popular among fans, and sold a lot of merchandise.

However, Zoroark had a gimmick that severely dented its versatility. It is tied very tightly to the concept of illusions. If you take away its ability to disguise itself, Zoroark isn't Zoroark, it's just an ordinary bipedal fox. Illusion is what makes Zoroark special.
Lucario, on the other hand, is a lot less commited to a single gimmick and thus gets a bigger register to play on. It displays extraordinary aura powers, but they aren't its defining factor, and regardless it can be sufficiently aura-ish through movepool and Pokédex entries alone. It doesn't have to stick to a single ability, or a stat specialization. Lucario is a "potato", it works well in any role. Humanlike, mysterious badass? Yeah, it stands on two legs and has this "blindfold" over its face. Fighting game hero? A diverse range of Fighting moves backs up this image very well, its aura capacities is just a bonus. Spiritual animal with supernatural powers? It's based on the symbol-laden jackal, has the aforementioned aura powers, and can use a bunch of Special moves like Psychic, Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse. Or simply standing out from the Fighting type crowd? The secondary Steel typing distinguishes it from anything not named Cobalion (which is a very different beast altogether).
Lucario is very versatile, whereas Zoroark is stuck with illusions. You can't touch that ability without changing Zoroark's very identity. You can't suddenly give it astonishing secondary powers, you can't change its specialization, you can't make it do anything it doesn't do already without going beyond its gimmick. Zoroark might have been perceived as an attempt to replicate the success of Lucario, but it gimmick ended up being too prominent for it to do anything beyond its one trick.

Mega Zoroark wouldn't be able to do anything that regular Zoroark can't, without blowing its cover. What would the Mega Evolution animation look like for the opponent? Mega Zoroark couldn't be any better than regular Zoroark, without 1) just making it a regular, dime-a-dozen strong attacker or 2) give it another, better ability along the same lines, making Illusion pretty pointless. Whatever is done to it, it will have to sacrifice its gimmick for it, and thus its very purpose. I don't think a Mega Evolution would add anything to Zoroark at all, it would just take away what makes Zoroark special in the first place.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
dude you know they could just give it illusion
Then what would be the purpose of Mega Evolving it? I mean, that animation when Zoroark Mega Evolves (or long, drawn out pause before the illusory Pokémon attacks) would really tip off the opponent that Zoroark was on the field. With its cover blown, Zoroark would just be a regular Dark type 'mon, and its illusion would be a paper-thin disguise. Unless they give it really spectacular stats to make up for the lack of an item and the "worthless" ability, you'd be better of with regular Zoroark in most cases. And if it got really spectacular stats, Illusion would serve no purpose anyway (thus taking away the purpose of Zoroark in the first place, arguably).

Last edited:
;p
Well… Let’s take a look to determine whether or not this image is real or fake.

Luckily I have with me everyone’s favorite Detective Connoisseur, Cilan! Take it away! IT’S DETECTIVE TIME!

Cilan: Well, to a casual observer, this image looks rather convincing, seeing as every confirmed Mega Evolution so far is included in this image. However, things aren’t always what they seem. Something tastes off about this….
Ah ha!

Those squiggly lines! They have a familiar flavor…. I feel like I’ve seen them somewhere before…. That’s right! This is what it looks like when someone takes a picture of an electronic screen!

But why would someone do that?
Ash: Because they wanted a photo, but they only had a computer?
Cilan: That must be it!
But that’s not all that smells fishy about this image….

That’s right! There is no furigana to help kids read the kanji!
Iris: Yeah, kids like Ash.
Ash: Hey! I can read con gee just fine without furry…Wait what?
Iris: Oh yeah? What does that say Mister smarty pants!

Ash: What the—

Cilan: Ash! You’re a genius! You pointed out my next clue! There arekanji here that shouldn’t be here at all!

You see, the “Kanto” in Kanto region is never written with kanji but instead is written in katakana as カントー (which also separates it from the actual 関東/かんとう which is the east side of Japan for real)… in other words, this shouldn’t be here at all!
Which brings me to my next clue! Why does only our region, the Unova region, have the word “region” included? See? The last group of Pokemon is the only one to have it! If this were official information, it seems like a sloppy mistake indeed! They would all be consistent!

Something else about this seems off as well…
The actual text appears as though it is meant to say “Unlock the secrets of Mega Evolution”, but it is said in an unnatural (though still understandable) way…. I smell the aroma of a mechanical translator!

In other words! THIS IMAGE MUST BE A FAKE!

[source: http://therandominmyhead.tumblr.com/post/60668351783/kyurem-what-well-lets-take-a-look-to]
LOL just saw this on tumblr

It could just...not show the mega evolution
What's the off-chance that a MEvo for Zoroark could have a NEW ability introduced in gen VI that's like a souped-up Illusion. It's not like we haven't already seen certain Pokémon get new abilities as a qualifier of what they're already based on (Parental Bond much)
Mega Zoroark wouldn't be able to do anything that regular Zoroark can't, without blowing its cover. What would the Mega Evolution animation look like for the opponent? Mega Zoroark couldn't be any better than regular Zoroark, without 1) just making it a regular, dime-a-dozen strong attacker or 2) give it another, better ability along the same lines, making Illusion pretty pointless. Whatever is done to it, it will have to sacrifice its gimmick for it, and thus its very purpose. I don't think a Mega Evolution would add anything to Zoroark at all, it would just take away what makes Zoroark special in the first place.
Lucario was created and given a cool move that matches his theme. They could have theoretically done the same thing with Zoroark by creating some sort of illusory Status move, but they gave it an ability instead. What's stopping them from finding a way to add on to that, possibly with a new move or an ability?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
It could just...not show the mega evolution
I sort of doubt this though...
Zoroark would have to Mega Evolve, and I really doubt they'd make it Mega Evolve without some sort of animation or text (it'd be really inconsistent). Even if its Mega Evolution retains Illusion, the cover is blown, especially if the Pokemon in the back of the party is unable to Mega Evolve. I really just doubt they'll give Zoroark a Mega Evolution when it's that complicated (or if it gets one, I highly doubt Illusion will be its ability).

Also, @Shiruba I post that on the last page with a link. I didn't feel like taking up half a page with graphics and gifs just to reiterate a point people have already made.

I sort of doubt this though...
Zoroark would have to Mega Evolve, and I really doubt they'd make it Mega Evolve without some sort of animation or text (it'd be really inconsistent). Even if its Mega Evolution retains Illusion, the cover is blown, especially if the Pokemon in the back of the party is unable to Mega Evolve. I really just doubt they'll give Zoroark a Mega Evolution when it's that complicated (or if it gets one, I highly doubt Illusion will be its ability).

Also, @Shiruba I post that on the last page with a link. I didn't feel like taking up half a page with graphics and gifs just to reiterate a point people have already made.
Have it be Zoroark's shtick then...?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)