Pokemon Black and White (SPECULATIONS ALLOWED HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"TMs will no longer expire after one use - you can use them as many times as you want, like HMs!"

BEST. NEWS. EVER!
I'm worried this may mean TMs cannot be transferred over from 4th Gen. games, and that they will therefore reset the TM list. If TMs can be used multiple times, it stands to reason they won't have an x01 next to the TM name in the Bag, similar to how HMs and Key Items currently work. And as Pokemon can't hold HMs, could the same hold true for the new TMs? Which would imply you can't trade TMs over from old games.

I don't know from a programming point of view whether they could make it possible for Pokemon to hold Key Items / HMs / New TMs, in which case when you transfer a TM from a 4th Gen. game to B&W it would go from x01 to having no number next to it. I hope this is what happens, otherwise there are going to be tons of illegal move combinations to keep track of.

EDIT: Now that I think about it some more I don't see the second alternative happening. Imagine the scenario where you transfer over two Pokemon holding Focus Punch. Now you have two TM01's in B&W, but they don't have an x01 next to them... this is really messy. So I'm like 90% sure they will reset the TM list. I suppose they could also not let you transfer TMs, but make all the old TMs available in B&W.

Lvl 1-6 (or 7 with less than 7 HP IV)
Magnemite w/ Sturdy @ Berry Juice
~Recycle
~Protect
~Toxic
~Thunder Wave / Flash / Swagger / Other filler moves

In theory this may work? It could stall for 32 turns, abusing the Focus Sash effect of Sturdy along with Berry Juice to heal Magnemite. I know this is easy to stop and it sucks, but this could be a nice and annoying troll-gimmick.

TMs no longer expire
<3

Can't wait to see what the other Eevolutions will get, I bet that Flareon will get something like Flame Body (or Magma Armor), because GF hates Flareon.

-0²

WHOAFUCK.

TMs DO NOT DISAPPEAR AFTER USE.

Oh fuck, that's just...that's just...oh man...I am disappoint.

One of the best bits the games had was the rarity of TMs and their one-use-only status. Having em as reusable takes the fun out of it, now that we can simply obtain Earthquake and teach it to everything that gets it, rather than getting it and pondering who can best use it.
GAME FREAK, I LOVE YOU.

You won't believe the countless hours I've spent playing Voltorb Flip in HG just to get one damn TM. Man, this will make constructing a competitive team in-game so much easier.

the new TM system is a bad idea, it will make the the game easier, when going into the elite four you can just change your moves between battles for SE hits and change them back afterwards, also PP will be restored, to easy

Based on the gym setup and the picture of his badge, I'm guessing Dento doesn't have a type specialty in his gym. The badge almost looks like he'll have the grass, fire, water types in one team.

That's pure speculation, but they are changing a lot of gameplay elements in Gen V.

And reusable TMs ftw!!! This is amazing news for explosion, EQ and the elemental beams (assuming they are all TMs again this Gen).

the new TM system is a bad idea, it will make the the game easier, when going into the elite four you can just change your moves between battles for SE hits and change them back afterwards, also PP will be restored, to easy
Won't be a problem if, maybe, you can only use your TMs in the PC. Or making the game harder. Maybe both.

So if you don't want it to be too easy...don't...do that?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm worried this may mean TMs cannot be transferred over from 4th Gen. games, and that they will therefore reset the TM list. If TMs can be used multiple times, it stands to reason they won't have an x01 next to the TM name in the Bag, similar to how HMs and Key Items currently work. And as Pokemon can't hold HMs, could the same hold true for the new TMs? Which would imply you can't trade TMs over from old games.

I don't know from a programming point of view whether they could make it possible for Pokemon to hold Key Items / HMs / New TMs, in which case when you transfer a TM from a 4th Gen. game to B&W it would go from x01 to having no number next to it. I hope this is what happens, otherwise there are going to be tons of illegal move combinations to keep track of.

EDIT: Now that I think about it some more I don't see the second alternative happening. Imagine the scenario where you transfer over two Pokemon holding Focus Punch. Now you have two TM01's in B&W, but they don't have an x01 next to them... this is really messy. So I'm like 90% sure they will reset the TM list. I suppose they could also not let you transfer TMs, but make all the old TMs available in B&W.
I'm really worried about this, too.

I'm also worried that the alternative-ability Pokémon won't be able to pass down their abilities via breeding. That means that if you don't get one with good stats or ability, too bad so sad; you'll just never be able to get that Pokémon you want because you didn't luck out.

Also, I'm guessing that these dream world Pokémon will only be available for a limited time on the internet. They may cycle them out and replace them with new ones every month or so.

The Eeveelutions don't really need awesome new abilities. They have great stats and respectable movepools (except Flareon). Vaporeon with Hydration seems incredibly sick, even in double battles.

I'm just hoping that this means there'll be an ability tutor in-game at some point in this generation. Some Pokémon really need a third option and giving them all new evolutions (like Rhyperior) seems like a really inelegant solution.

So if you don't want it to be too easy...don't...do that?
QFT. A lot of players do play-throughs where they don't use any healing items at all; you can do the same thing w/out the TMs. Sure, little kids might have an easier time, but the Elite Four was never difficult for more experienced players.

To be fair, it's not like they're forcing us to re-use TMs. Like I'm a bit weird, and I never switch during in-game battles, because I'm really picky, and I always want to level-up my Pokemon one at a time, and in order.

About the TM thing, they could just have exactly the same list as DPP (with the extra new moves), and still make them non-tradeable. You'd just have to find like 100 TMs all over again (which could actually be really fun).

Also, Magneton and Magnezone should really like Sturdy. It's good, because they can use Magnet Rise to avoid being killed by Choice Band Earthquake, and then Explode on whatever switches in.

I don't think so. The reason you can't delete HM moves is so you don't get stuck somewere (I think!) xD

edit: Beaten
Doubtful. The whole reason that you can't delete HM moves is because they have overworld uses.
You'd still have the HMs with you, since they won't disappear after a use. So even if you do erase it, it can be re-taught whenever if needed (like wanting to delete rock smash off your starter so you can give it to a HM slave you didn't have before).

It's not like people will use them to restore PP either, because if you try to teach a TM to a Pokemon that already knows it, it just says 'Learned' and you can't teach it again.

Also, who would get to the E4 and decide right there and then to completely change their Pokemon's movesets? Lots of level-up moves aren't TMs, and I doubt the kids that play even know which move is better on which Pokemon.

Lvl 1-6 (or 7 with less than 7 HP IV)
Magnemite w/ Sturdy @ Berry Juice
~Recycle
~Protect
~Toxic
~Thunder Wave / Flash / Swagger / Other filler moves

In theory this may work? It could stall for 32 turns, abusing the Focus Sash effect of Sturdy along with Berry Juice to heal Magnemite. I know this is easy to stop and it sucks, but this could be a nice and annoying troll-gimmick.

<3

Can't wait to see what the other Eevolutions will get, I bet that Flareon will get something like Flame Body (or Magma Armor), because GF hates Flareon.

-0²
Sturdy only prevents 1HKO moves such as Fissure or Sheer Cold. It doesn't do anything to any other move that would kill in one hit, such as Earthquake.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Sturdy only prevents 1HKO moves such as Fissure or Sheer Cold. It doesn't do anything to any other move that would kill in one hit, such as Earthquake.
Welcome to the party. To catch you up, it's been confirmed that in the 5th gen of games, Sturdy works like Focus Sash.

Well, I've been thinking. Rotational battles are pretty much more complicated single battles. I think I'm going to try them out when the game comes out a lot since the large amount of prediction and strategy used is awesome.

And infinite tm use...it's about time >.>

I think it would be nice to change the gyms. Instead of having type specialty, they can have themes like all starters, only pokemon under 5 feet, all dragons (not necessarily the type). I dunno. Something like that would interest me.

I think people now are getting too worried over the Miracle Shooter despite the tiny tidbit we get. If implemented well, it could be an interesting way to change battle around.

The info we get says we exchange points for items, so this would be how it would work in battle from how I imagine it:

Every turn you get 1 point.
You get 5 points for having a pokemon fainted, or fainting an opponent pokemon.

Items would be properly budgeted (based on LVL 100, so might need to tweak things around for little cup or lvl 50...)
Potion would be 2 points
Super Potion = 5 points
Hyper Potion = 20 points
Max Potion = 30 points
Full Heal = 10 Points
X-Anything = 10 Points

Since it is a MIRACLE shooter, it sounds to me like they're trying to make an interesting and potentially important change into the system.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
You'd still have the HMs with you, since they won't disappear after a use. So even if you do erase it, it can be re-taught whenever if needed (like wanting to delete rock smash off your starter so you can give it to a HM slave you didn't have before).
This is true, but it's been that way since gen 1. Maybe they just don't want little kids to freak out and forget that they still have the HM.

Woah, a whole new fuckton of information. Vaporeon gets Hydration if you get it in the dream world? I'm definitely getting one with Hydration now.. and I like Sturdy better how it is now, IMO

First of all, allow me to state that Reusable TMs is something I've always advocated and an heavily excited for. Not only would this be a huge boon for people like us who like to create teams for Wireless/Wifi purposes, but this also means I wouln't have to do Battle Tower so many bloody times just to get the TMs there.

Dream World Eeveeloutions seems rather odd, but I would like it. However, my main complaint, and don't get me wrong, this is just from an offensive standpoint, is Hydration Vaporeon. That thing would be an utter monster when paired with Toxic Spikes, since you can't do anything back to it since it could just stick Rain Dance on the set.

Whoever suggested Trace for Espeon, bravo. Whoever suggested Magic Guard for Umbreon, HELL NO.

Also, Sturdy seems useful for certain Pokemon. I'd rather stick with my Rock Head Aggron, thank you very much, except if I consider an Aggron Lead with Metal Burst. Head Smash is scary good.

Yeah it sucks how the game forces you to do that.... oh wait

Seriously ever heard of the Nuzlocke challenge? Pokemon allows for so many self imposed challenges that the game can be as hard as you want it to be.

They don't need to make the normal method of play any harder. It is a game targeted at young children. They want to rock out with their Charizard that has Slash, Flamethrower, Fire Spin, and Fire Blast. I think it is great that they can do that when playing the game normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)