Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do YOU define what is 'Pokemon-like', then? It's common sense that images and details are going to change over the years, hoping for them to stay in 1st gen's version of simplicity is naivity.

I'm personally a fan of these, so screw it. ;D
Haters shouldn't come here and hate, they just shouldn't watch these topics
Well said guys. They have to come up with new designs (and come on, we have 493 Pokémon by the 4th gen! that needs criativity!) and it's obvious that as technology gets more developed and complex, designs will get more complex as well. I mean, imagine Zakrom in a 1st gen sprite. It wouldn't be possible to have it as much detailed. Now it is! So, they use you they have to make things better! Maybe if they had this technology years ago, the designs wouldn't have been so simple.

P.S.: My personal opinion: Detail rocks!

@Dexodon: Thanks!

I swear, Pokemon fans can be such whiners. Pokemon was long overdue for more detailed, powerful-looking legendaries like these.

wah wah they don't look like Pokemon!

Lol can't believe how many people are crying about it over the internets, they don't look like Pokemon to you because they are NEW Pokemon. Are you trying to say there is a coherent theme of design between Magneton and Pikachu? between Shaymin and Giratina? no.

Stop holding onto the past and embrace change. As for the names, they are Japanese, so of course they will look strange to you at the moment.

How do YOU define what is 'Pokemon-like', then? It's common sense that images and details are going to change over the years, hoping for them to stay in 1st gen's version of simplicity is naivity.

I'm personally a fan of these, so screw it. ;D

Um...no it's not. Ken Sugimori has been the art director for the Pokemon franchise since the original release of Red and Green Versions in Japan up to the present day. His art style has changed to become more sleek and stylized (it's a change for the worse, in my opinion) but that change isn't "common sense". Rather, it's a result of the changing tastes of young children. I have no idea why, but kids these days aren't satisfied with an electric mouse, or a fiery bird. No, that isn't edgy or "cool" enough them, so they abandon Pokemon in droves in favor of franchises like Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon. They don't want their creatures to have personality or realism...all they care about is badass looks.

GameFreak could have done the honorable thing and just said, "Hey, nuts to those little kids and their fetish for over-detailed armor. We're going to stick with our design standards and make creatures that actually look like they have souls." But no...instead they chose to make a quick buck by ripping designs straight from their competitors.

Haters shouldn't come here and hate, they just shouldn't watch these topics
Hey, good point Dexodon! If I disagree with anything you think, I should just leave this thread completely. That's open discussion for ya!

Stop holding onto the past and embrace change. As for the names, they are Japanese, so of course they will look strange to you at the moment.
Change isn't always a good thing. Imagine if they came out with Strarcraft 2, and there was a unit that looked exactly like Garchomp. Should I "embrace change" and not point out this obvious design discrepancy, which looks stupid and doesn't make any sense? No, I should criticize it openly, because I'm the customer and I reserve the right to have an opinion about products being made for me and others like me. Also, while you're right that these are new Pokemon, they're going to be inhabiting a world with lots of old Pokemon, and the contrast is going to be jarring.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As for the names, they are Japanese, so of course they will look strange to you at the moment.
They aren't Japanese.

so they abandon Pokemon in droves in favor of franchises like Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon.
lol wut?

No child ever abandoned Pokemon for Digimon. Even if Season 1 was was a thousand times better a TV show. And Yu-Gi-Oh is just a better card game. The only children who ever abandoned Pokemon were the ones who grew older. Then we came back anyway.

They both look awesome! I love all the pokemon designs this gen, looks fresh, new, detailed- I love 'em. Zakrom looks really, really badass.

so, is Zakrom the legendary for white or for black? I intended to buy black but if he's the cover legend of white I might have to switch. :3 it would be weird if they gave the legend to the opposite game...

They aren't Japanese.

lol wut?

No child ever abandoned Pokemon for Digimon. Even if Season 1 was was a thousand times better a TV show. And Yu-Gi-Oh is just a better card game. The only children who ever abandoned Pokemon were the ones who grew older. Then we came back anyway.
Well that's weird that the USA and JP names are the same, but even so the names aren't that bad.

they look freaking amazing IMO, the kind of pokemons i like the most, i really enjoy how pokemons slowly become digimon has time pass. naturally the black one is going to learn horn drill, but no one will use anyway.

Zekrom is in White, and Reshiram is in Black (although they could just pull a G/S and give us both on the same game, and I'd be perfectly fine with that).

And I really fail to see how they resemble Digimon (or even Gundam, what the hell). Is it because of their complexity? Well, I say that complexity isn't a bad thing - as long as you can understand what's going on. One could say that the 'M block is complex, but in actuality it is just a junky pixel mess. People often say that Dialga is complex, but in that case you can see what's going on - and hell, it's the supreme entity of TIME, how can it not be complex? Did you guys want another Seel or something like that?

As for these new legendaries, nobody knows what they represent yet, so what I just said about power and stuff doesn't matter much. And what if they based their designs on Digimon (if people say so)? As long as I like them, as long as they feel nice and as long as I can have fun, I don't mind. Zekrom is damn awesome, and Reshiram still looks a bit weird for me. I'm happy with that.

They aren't Japanese words. You can't have "kr" or a end a word with "m".
That doesn't stop them from using ゼクロム (ze ku ro mu) and レシラム (re shi ra mu). And... DAMN. CHROME and... argh, I don't know. How the hell didn't I notice this earlier?

I see a lot of talk about a Light type. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Psychic originally the Light/Magic type in Japan and we called it Psychic? I remember hearing that. Because as far as typing goes I see it like this:

Reshiram: Psychic/Dragon or Flying/Dragon
Zekrom: Dark/Dragon

I'm positive these two will be Dragon something. Dragon's IN-GAME have always supposed to have been the most powerful pokemon around and I can't see a reason why the new legends wouldn't.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Good gravy, I leave this thread to bed one night, and get up the next morning, do a bit of work, then come back to this same forum and THE WORLD HAS BEEN THROWN INTO CHAOS! Where did these Legends come from so suddenly!?

Well, I'm not complaining because I'm excited to see them. I can't say that I like the digimon/yu-gi-oh look of them, Pokemon were always supposed to look more organic and subdued, in my opinion. These guys are a bit too much... Zakrom is really growing on me. I wish I had a jet turbine strapped to my rear...! And what exactly were they thinking with Reshiram's, uh, pingas-feathers? I can foresee a disturbance...

The abreviations RAM/ROM at the end of their names signifies that they are man-made, confirming my hunch that the new generation will be more about human/pokemon interaction and co-existence. I'm also keeping my hopes up that this plot will be more mature than previous episodes, it seems likely.

Also, I'm the type of person who's been awaiting a Light typing ever since GenII, which pissed me off greatly with the addition of Dark, but no counter-balancing Light type. It's probable these two are Light/Steel and Dark/Steel, but only time will tell.

lol wut?

You're probably right, I was just throwing out names. However, as a summer camp counselor, I can personally report on seeing five year old kids being taunted for still playing Pokemon by their peers, who are all playing with those stupid Battle Ball things. You know, the plastic balls that open up into monsters...I forget what they're called. In any case, they're way more detailed and edgy than Pokemon, so I think that shows the tastes of kids are changing.

Um...no it's not. Ken Sugimori has been the art director for the Pokemon franchise since the original release of Red and Green Versions in Japan up to the present day. His art style has changed to become more sleek and stylized (it's a change for the worse, in my opinion) but that change isn't "common sense". Rather, it's a result of the changing tastes of young children. I have no idea why, but kids these days aren't satisfied with an electric mouse, or a fiery bird. No, that isn't edgy or "cool" enough them, so they abandon Pokemon in droves in favor of franchises like Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon. They don't want their creatures to have personality or realism...all they care about is badass looks.

GameFreak could have done the honorable thing and just said, "Hey, nuts to those little kids and their fetish for over-detailed armor. We're going to stick with our design standards and make creatures that actually look like they have souls." But no...instead they chose to make a quick buck by ripping designs straight from their competitors.
Oh it ISN'T common sense that an artist, over years of work, is going to improve his art by adding detail? Oh sure, why don't we all go back to the world of the most detailed Pokemon being Mewtwo, Dragonite (barely) and Slowbro (the tail was nicely 'detailed').

Over years of work Sugimori's artwork as 'improved' and, as has been pointed out, gained in detail. Believe it or not this is what artists do, they add detail.

"Rather, it's a result of the changing tastes of young children. I have no idea why, but kids these days aren't satisfied with an electric mouse, or a fiery bird." You can only put up with the same concepts for so long. Humans sort of jump in opinions like that, it's nothing new.

You use "young children" and "kids" a bit, yet have you considered one other factor? Usually it's the 'kids' who can't deal with change. Change a single slot in their schedule and they have to rant for 69 days about how their parents can't love them and their Pokemon are going to Yugioh so that they have 3000 Atk and 2500 Def with the name "Blue Eyes Lulz Dragon".

Seriously, it's one thing to use young children once as part of your argument, but when this thread contains this sort of 'hatred' (as it has been called, and rightfully so) you can't really use that too much. Generally kids are noted for their immaturity, but consider this; Isn't whining over a very minor 'change' a sign of that immaturity and inability to adjust to the slightest change?

Like I said, I'm rather fond of this generation so far. My only annoyance is Pokabu/GanonPork's battle sprite. Looks weird to me, but that's just my lone opinion.

To be very honest, I don't quite like the legendaries.

Oh I don't mind the complexities. I loved Dialga and Palkia's design, but just something with the B/W legendaries just doesn't resonate with me.

Reshiram...what's with the tiny claws on the wings? I know that's what anatomically what a wing should look like, but the positioning is just awkward as hell. And what's with the phallic tail puff?

Zekrom doesn't look half bad, and will probably grow on me.

I doubt either of them will be dragon though. They look more mammalian, what with the snout and all.

I like the new legendary pokemon personally, but don't they look a bit like Palkia? Zekrom definitely seems to have a strong resemblance to it. And don't like how it seems likely that Reshiram will get stuck with Psychic as one of its types. We have enough psychic-type legendaries already...

For everybody who's whining about how stupid the new legendaries look like, you got two options:
1) They will grow on you and you start liking them.
2) You ain't gonna play the game.

Simple as that is. Don't like it? Don't play it.

Well that's weird that the USA and JP names are the same, but even so the names aren't that bad.
Might be late to reply to this, but it isn't weird at all. Special pokémon like legendaries often have English names similar to their Japanese ones. Really, Reshiram and Zekrom come from the names "Reshiramu" and "Zekuromu", which isn't too far off its Japanese romanization.

Oh it ISN'T common sense that an artist, over years of work, is going to improve his art by adding detail? Oh sure, why don't we all go back to the world of the most detailed Pokemon being Mewtwo, Dragonite (barely) and Slowbro (the tail was nicely 'detailed').

Over years of work Sugimori's artwork as 'improved' and, as has been pointed out, gained in detail. Believe it or not this is what artists do, they add detail.

"Rather, it's a result of the changing tastes of young children. I have no idea why, but kids these days aren't satisfied with an electric mouse, or a fiery bird." You can only put up with the same concepts for so long. Humans sort of jump in opinions like that, it's nothing new.

You use "young children" and "kids" a bit, yet have you considered one other factor? Usually it's the 'kids' who can't deal with change. Change a single slot in their schedule and they have to rant for 69 days about how their parents can't love them and their Pokemon are going to Yugioh so that they have 3000 Atk and 2500 Def with the name "Blue Eyes Lulz Dragon".

Seriously, it's one thing to use young children once as part of your argument, but when this thread contains this sort of 'hatred' (as it has been called, and rightfully so) you can't really use that too much. Generally kids are noted for their immaturity, but consider this; Isn't whining over a very minor 'change' a sign of that immaturity and inability to adjust to the slightest change?
Yes, let's go back to the simple Pokemon of RBY. Obviously you meant that line as a bit of sarcasm, but I'm being serious. The First Generation Pokemon were my favorites. I'd love to return to the simplistic style of art they demonstrated.

So, adding detail automatically improves the work of any artist? Man, I guess Picasso was a pretty terrible artist then.

Look at that painting! That guy has no hair, and the background is just a blur. Picasso really should have painted with more detail and realism. Then his art would have been respected.

And I don't know what you were like when you were little, but I certainly didn't have any of the problems you described, and neither does any child I have ever come into contact with. Sounds like you were just a really inflexible and annoying kid.

For everybody who's whining about how stupid the new legendaries look like, you got two options:

Or I could play the game, but still hold the opinion that these two Pokemon are derivative pieces of crap.

Also, good grammar to use learn.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Everyone has the right to voice their opinions, and that's true even if they don't like them. I never liked Dialga/Palkia whatsoever, and they never grew on me, but I still played the game. So, it's actually not that simple.

The main reason people are voicing their disapproval is because they're going to play, one way or the other, but were looking for something more / something different out of the legends.

Everyone has the right to voice their opinions, and that's true even if they don't like them. I never liked Dialga/Palkia whatsoever, and they never grew on me, but I still played the game. So, it's actually not that simple.

The main reason people are voicing their disapproval is because they're going to play, one way or the other, but were looking for something more / something different out of the legends.
Yes I know, but I just want to say that McLuvdisc and Shadow Tectike has to stop, I mean, we now all know that McLuvdisc doesn't really like the new legendaries but now there comes just a whole war! I mean, please, just please, shut up about it! We now know it: ML don't like them, ST likes them. Ok? Everybody knows it now. Now stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)