Pokemon you didn't give enough credit

I know I didn't give Specs Lucario or Garchomp hardly enough credit at first. I didn't think Specs Lucario would really be that great, until I made my Azelf team. Lucario ends up sweeping more than Azelf does.

I think I always underrated Garchomp because I always made sure I could counter one, so they were never really that big of a threat to me. Then I try'd out a Scarfchomp as a revenge killer, and it's decimated a lot of stuff, despite what I originally thought.

So what pokemon didn't get enough credit at first from you?

Way back in the olden days, when they named Pokemon games by the colors in an 8-pack of crayons rather than minerals, I faced down a Chansey with my Blastoise/Mewtwo/Gengar, and got my ass spanked. It was a humbling experience to be swept by what I thought of at the time as little more than Safari Zone collector fodder.

Ambipom, just because it looked stupid. But now I love it. Also, gengar. I decided to try one out on Netbattle once, and I'm pretty sure it's been in all my teams since. I never doubted gengar though, just didn't use it.

A defensively oriented Porygon2 that I bred and trained did a lot better than I thought. It was only taking around 50% from CBd Garchomp EQs, and in many instances I was able to Charge Beam a couple of times, get a couple of SpAtk boosts, and then sweep with Pory2. Everybody was like :justin2:
~Bam

I thought Latias was just an inferior version of Latios, but I soon discovered that it was the best Boltbeamer to second my Latios. The others were too slow or didn't hit hard enough, in my opinion.

I think the thought process before, during, and after my play-through of Pokemon D/P was as follows:

Before: "Sweet, Roselia is going to have an evolution, and it seems pretty good."

During: "Huh. Seems like it dies too fast, too often. Not as strong as I thought it was going to be."

After: "Meh. Roserade is over-rated."

And then I fought a Roserade on PBR's WiFi, which single-handedly crushed my entire team. Going back to look at the reasons why, I found the recommended build.

Roserade, I salute you. Going from no respect to full respect.

Floatzel is one Pokemon I thought was terrible but now I have relized the error of my ways after Jumpman's analysis.

Swellow. Used to think it was a just another boring Normal/Flying type, I now respect it as one of a handful of opening ScarfGar counters. Staraptor was supposed to be the endall as far as normal flying/types were concerned, but then Swellow came up and said "back off noob, I have same attack as a choice band and I can sitch moves and I'm immune to status". Sadly, I have yet to obtain a good one =(.

Also Magneton in ADV. After I tested Timid/Max Speed with substitute/endure salac HP Ice, I never made a team without it. It always gets one kill + plus a near ko on something else. I was really sad when they cut magnezones speed in DP.

I thought Latias was just an inferior version of Latios, but I soon discovered that it was the best Boltbeamer to second my Latios. The others were too slow or didn't hit hard enough, in my opinion.
Technically speaking Latias has a slightly higher stat total in terms of stats that count. Sure Latios has the higher SA stat while Latias has the high SD and the still respectable 110SA. However the physical side is also a direct swap, giving Latias more physical defenses, while Latios has more physical attack, noboy cares.

No boy cares, but what about girls? haha, just kidding.

Gastrodon sticks out in my mind right now. When I fought one online, I was surprised at how little damage it was taking from my regular effective attacks (but Porygon-Z after some Nasty Plotting managed to KO easy :P). It stats seem relatively subpar, but it still managed to piss me off with toxic and recover.

I guess Muk, I always thought it inferior, from the days of RBY to now, when an unSTABed EQ didnt manage to kill it >_<

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Magnezone for the amount of damage it is able to dish out, Mamoswine, who actually singlehandedly has dominated for me many a time and Feraligatr. Now people may write the DDing version as an inferior Gyarados, but for those of who use Cresselia and ko to counter it will be in for a nasty shock. My Cressy had plenty of SpAtk and did only 30 % with HP Electric, as it proceeded to be destroyed along with my entire team.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Heh, I used to think Pert was crap back in Advance. THen after getting Tanked by Curseperts a few times, I realised that it was better than I gave it credit for.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Back in advance I hated Salamence, thinking it was an inferior Flygon (OMG don't ask). Then I decided to train Mence up for the battle tower and I dd pretty well with it

Ludicolo. People think he's just a bad Special wall, but he did well for me in a few battles, and he can even take a physical hit before he goes down, especially with Leech Seed support. Heck, my old team with Ludicolo is doing better than my Sandstream team (I found out much to my chagrin that Sandstream teams are wrecked by ANY GOOD SPECIAL SWEEPER, like Porygon Z or TogeHAX).

CSChomp,Yanmega,Hippowdon,and Magnezone.

Would of been more,if I didn't do so much research before battling competitively.

Mantine is kind of never seen...

If your smart enough to switch out in front of thunderbolt, he's basically Skarms retarded brother.

Ambipom has never let me down ever since I actually decided to try 'em for laughs. Then what little extra damage Fake Out and U-Turn did seemed to add up over time...

Now I'm breeding one with better IV's...

Floatzel. Then I realized it I was able to hurt everything with it. I almost always started 6-5 because I Crunched a Starmie or Brick Break'ed a Weavile that tried to Pursuit me.

Also, Choice Scarf (not a pokemon, but whatever). I thought it was awful when I first heard of it.

ZANGOOSE! Got to be one of the most underrated pokemon out there. OHKOing Mence after a Swords Dance, even with Intimidate is gg, as is OHKOing Gyarados with a SD after Intimidate if you have Stealth Rock. It's my favourite pokemon to use on wifi atm, since no one expects it and it will rip shit up with Life Orb/Swords Danced Returns.

Back in advance I hated Salamence, thinking it was an inferior Flygon (OMG don't ask). Then I decided to train Mence up for the battle tower and I dd pretty well with it
i lolled, Dragon Dance on the mind?

Magnezone for the amount of damage it is able to dish out, Mamoswine, who actually singlehandedly has dominated for me many a time and Feraligatr. Now people may write the DDing version as an inferior Gyarados, but for those of who use Cresselia and ko to counter it will be in for a nasty shock. My Cressy had plenty of SpAtk and did only 30 % with HP Electric, as it proceeded to be destroyed along with my entire team.
Yay my Feraligatr! : D

I had underestimated Feraligatr as well until I used it on Shoddy Battle with a Swords Dancing set. Gyarados doesn't get Swords Dance so there you go, there's a reason to use Feraligatr. Not only that but he doesn't have the annoying Stealth Rock weakness and no 4x Electric weakness.

Tyranitar. I used to think that it was total fighting bait and died so quickly to a lot because of its multiple weaknesses.

Then I started using CBTar in Shoddy and I've been winning a lot og games with Tar comebacks. CBCrunch is insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)