Post your favorite anime

My favourite anime is Death Note: The story is genius. If you haven't watched this I highly reccomend it. It's about a japanese student who finds a notebook, if he writes the name down of someone in this notebook, they die. He decides to try and use this power to get rid of every bad person.

I mean come on man, do you take me as a retard? I put Naruto as my favorite, I kind of know its ongoing. However when Naruto does end then I will judge both finished series (CB and Naruto) to see which is better.

EDIT: Didn't see cayr's post above, but yeah I agree with you on the ending.
What I was trying to say was that (going by things like Dragon Ball etc.) there is no overall 'conclusion' that isn't immediately followed by a new story arc. Consequently, the story never really ends. Dragonball GT, for instance, does not "conclude" the overall story, even though there hasn't been anything since, just because the overall story is really a piecemeal collection of separate arcs.

- Saint Seiya was the first anime I ever watched. I first got a glimpse of it when I visited the Dominican Republic. At the time my brother was hooked on the Spanish dubbed version. On that nostalgia tip.

- Thundercats was another anime my brother introduced to me when I first visited him in DR. "Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight." "Thunder, thunder, Thundercats hooooooooooooo!" "Ancient spirits of evil. Transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the ever living." I re-watched it in my teens when it was on Toonami.

- Gundam Wing jfc. When Toonami first showed this I thought Heero-Yuy was a total bad ass and then I saw Deathscythe. I eventually went on to watch the other three Gundam series they played. As a teen now I find myself lurking anime boards often re-watching this series. I'm s0o in love with the dialogue and the philosophy? in the series.

- Gundam 00 by far my favorite anime ever. I love everything about this series. The plot, the characters and their stories, the art, the music, its just so beautifully written.

- After the second season of Gundam 00 ended I found myself searching for a replacement. I tried watching Ronin Warriors, Voltron, and Yu Yu Hakusho but the dialogue was so awful I couldnt digest more than two minutes of it at a time. Then I found Code Geass. I was hooked immediately. I watched all of it in a weekend. The story line was amazing. And metal suits? Come on!

- Full Metal Alchemist whats not to like? I prefer Brotherhood to the original anime.

- Keroro Gunso this show is funny as hell. I love all the anime references they make. My friend first got me into this show and since then Ive kept up with it a bit. Too many damn episodes to watch it all.

I feel like an anime freak after writing this list but Im sure there are others who have much much longer lists.

Also, Naruto isnt bad at all. The anime and manga are done in good tastes. Bleach on the other hand...

And you cant be a 90s baby without having watched Dragon Ball Z. Nothing like getting shit faced and rambling about Spiritbombs.

Umm... lets see, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Full Metal Alchemist, Rosario + Vampire, Zero No Tsukaima, and Shaman King.

Personally, I enjoy mangas more than anime

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What I was trying to say was that (going by things like Dragon Ball etc.) there is no overall 'conclusion' that isn't immediately followed by a new story arc. Consequently, the story never really ends. Dragonball GT, for instance, does not "conclude" the overall story, even though there hasn't been anything since, just because the overall story is really a piecemeal collection of separate arcs.
No, I'd say Naruto is going to have an ending sometime. All the arcs have fit under the umbrella of a larger arc since the beginning of the Chuunin exam.

I know a bunch of animes that I liked: One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Monster, Death Note, Detective Conan, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Prince of Tennis, Samurai Champloo, Love Hina, School Rumble, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Eyeshield 21, and Great Teacher Onizuka. I usually like them for their artistic style and/or excellent storyline.

From that list, I would say my favorites will have to be: One Piece, School Rumble, Detective Conan, and Monster. I like the genre of adventure, comedy, and mystery.

Some of my favorite's are way too under appreciated.

Moyashimon: about a student at an agricultural university in Tokyo, he can see microbes (fucking hilarious)
Mushishi: about a man who travels around studying various primordial "mushi" and help people who are under their influence (seriously one of the coolest animes ever)
Kino's Journey: really cool anime about kino and her travels around the world, super good, can be chilling at times.

and of course I like well known anime aswell, such as
mahou sensei negima
welcome to the NHK
clannad/kanon/air
evangelion
higurashi
etc etc

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Probably Digimon Season 3?

I watched Fate Stay Night (retarded ending), Elfen Lied (retarded middle parts and fillers) and Clannad both parts (Retarded plot). Needless to say, I wasted quite a chunk of my life watching meaningless stuff.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I appreciate the older anime titles like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and Azumanga Daioh, there are some newer titles which I feel no one has mentioned yet:

Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu - Unique story, unique presentation, jam-packed with humour, easily accessible and enjoyable.

Bakemonogatari - This is really a hit or miss series, you either like it or you hate it. For my money I really appreciate the artistic style and the emphasis on witty dialogue.

Darker Than Black - If you enjoyed Death Note I think you're appreciate this. Packed with suspense and action with a dash of philosophy thrown in.

Eden of the East - Another series filled with suspense with an enthralling story. The twists and turns in this make it perfect for a marathon session.

Working!! - Easy-going slice of life anime with lots of quirk and humour similar to Azumanga Daioh. Extra fun to watch if you've worked in the service industry.

Death Note is probably the best anime I've watched it keeps you want to continue watching because you just want to know what happens next it's all about the mind games, it just keeps you thinking and that's why I adore it fully.

I can't believe I'm the first one to post about 5 Centimeters Per Second. Heck, any of Makoto Shinkai's works are just brilliant, even more so when you realize he does them all himself on his computer.

Also, Golden Boy was pretty good, shame it ended after only 6 episodes.

My favorite are:

Bakemonogatari- Great art and dialogue.

Eden of the East- Good plot and full of suspense. :D

B Gata H kei- Not your typical ecchi anime. It's a good, hilarious story.

1. Monster: This manga is 'under-read'. The suspense is incredible and the antagonist is just pure evil. It's a bit long though which sometimes annoy me.

2. Slamdunk: It's fun, witty yet inspirational and sometimes touching. It's a stress less manga and the lovey dopey parts are kept at a minimum.

3. Death Note: Probably the most witty and intelligent manga ever read. I salute the author who creates the story. It's grueling and the transformation of Light is just fantastic. L is cute too in a different way. I hate Misa Misa though, find her plain annoying.

4. Kindaichi Case Files: It's not popular but it's my favourite manga/anime ever. If you have read it before, it wins the ass out of Konan.

I used to read Naruto but eventually i got tired of this anime because it seems like it is not going to end. And besides, i hate the character, naruto. And anyway, Digimon season 3 is the worst Digimon season ever. The first part is brillant, but when it comes to the mid part, there's this annoying, retarded girl who keeps sobbing over Leomon's death for over more than n episodes. It's enough to make me hate the season.

There's also other good ones like: Hikaru no Go, Baku Man, Gundam Seed , Fullmetal Alchemist, Pluto and XXX Holic.

EDIT: I found out that this thread is about anime, not manga but i guess my sentiments still apply.

Durarara!! is phenomenal. Rich characters, stunning plot, brilliant voice acting and animation. It's simply the full package. It starts off a little slow easing you into the town and situation but after the 4th episode or so, it really kicks off. The characters are the most attractive part of the anime, they have so much personality and are incredibly developed. Remniscent of Death Note really.

If Conan is "A" level quality, then Kindaichi is "B" level. Not quite coherent dialogue, not quite coherent art, not quite coherent on the whole. Not to say Conan does not have flaws (dear god the relationship dialogue), but Kindaichi is just in that sort of City Hunter league where you can see the shaky quality. I like it and Conan both a little, but I like the quality of Conan storytelling more (when it actually tells a story, not when it rehashes the same "gags" over and over...)

If Conan is "A" level quality, then Kindaichi is "B" level. Not quite coherent dialogue, not quite coherent art, not quite coherent on the whole. Not to say Conan does not have flaws (dear god the relationship dialogue), but Kindaichi is just in that sort of City Hunter league where you can see the shaky quality. I like it and Conan both a little, but I like the quality of Conan storytelling more (when it actually tells a story, not when it rehashes the same "gags" over and over...)
I always feel that Kindachi's story is more gripping. Also most of the murderers have very strong motives to kill. Okay, it's down to preferences, i guess.

I'm surprised no one else has seen/mentioned Hellsing. I thought it was excellent. A rather original and different take on the whole vampire thing (not f*cking shiny!) and the remake Hellsing Ultimate was really well redrawn and added way more depth than the first one.

I always feel that Kindachi's story is more gripping. Also most of the murderers have very strong motives to kill. Okay, it's down to preferences, i guess.
It is not preferences, it literally is about quality. There is a real incoherence and particular style of lazy art that is endemic to a lot of late '80s early '90s manga. City Hunter, Kenji http://myanimelist.net/manga/15426/Kenji, not to mention that they all have the same protagonists and gags. Their modern inheritors are manga like, say, Ikigami or Heads or that one about a virus; it is slightly different, but the poor quality has just changed to be a slightly different art style (even worse, sadly).

The worst part of Conan and Kindaichi both is the unwillingness to have stories that are not murders or murder attempts anyway, since the rates at which they happen, and especially happen involving the protagonists, is really hard to keep belief suspended throughout. In my eyes, better murder stories does not really help anything, but the style they are handled in Kindaichi is just plain sloppier, that is all there is to it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 28)