Programming PPRNG (Mac & iOS)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Since PPRNG is open-source and platform-agnostic, can I compile a version to run on Windows?
The core of PPRNG is platform independent. The GUI part is not. For it to run on Windows, someone would need to implement a Windows version of the GUI. (There was someone who started working on this before, but it seems to be stalled for the moment.)

A number of people have had success running PPRNG in a virtual machine under Windows. I don't know the details, though.

I attempted to try and find my Timer0, VCount and VFrame using the B2W2 Parameter Search method. However, I have been unable to find these values for my game, despite multiple attempts and following instructions both in your guide and a number of videos. I have been able to find these values through the standard method (Sweet-Scent IV calculation), however they do not match up with any of the values or seeds that I get for the Key Link Parameters, or those found in the DR abuse. Below are my Spinner directions with their corresponding times. These are from an Australian White 2 (English), with no Memory Link used.
ID: 40441 Secret ID: 12377
DS Type: Light MAC Address: 00-22-D7-32-0C-51

Attempt 1:
23/12/2012@ 14:28:30
No Buttons Held
Spinner Results:
((Upper Left), (Right), (Upper Right), (Right), (Upper Left), (Upper Left), (Upper Left), (Upper Right), (Lower Left))

Attempt 2:
23/12/2012@ 14:34:30
No Buttons Held
Spinner Results:
((Upper Right), (Left), (Lower Left), (Up), (Lower Left), (Left), (Lower Right), (Upper Right))

Attempt 3:
23/12/2012@ 14:38:45
No Buttons Held
Spinner Results:
((Lower Left), (Upper Right), (Right), (Left), (Up), (Left), (Upper Left), (Down))

I can post more if required, but non so far have any results with consistent values. I have tried expanding the search values for Timer0, VCount and VFrame substantially, but all that that manages to do is overheat my computer, with still no Values found.
Please can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong, or if Australian Games have a different set of values that I should be searching for. Thanks

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
I attempted to try and find my Timer0, VCount and VFrame using the B2W2 Parameter Search method. However, I have been unable to find these values for my game, despite multiple attempts and following instructions both in your guide and a number of videos. I have been able to find these values through the standard method (Sweet-Scent IV calculation), however they do not match up with any of the values or seeds that I get for the Key Link Parameters, or those found in the DR abuse. Below are my Spinner directions with their corresponding times. These are from an Australian White 2 (English), with no Memory Link used.
ID: 40441 Secret ID: 12377
DS Type: Light MAC Address: 00-22-D7-32-0C-51

Attempt 1:
23/12/2012@ 14:28:30
No Buttons Held
Spinner Results:
((Upper Left), (Right), (Upper Right), (Right), (Upper Left), (Upper Left), (Upper Left), (Upper Right), (Lower Left))

Attempt 2:
23/12/2012@ 14:34:30
No Buttons Held
Spinner Results:
((Upper Right), (Left), (Lower Left), (Up), (Lower Left), (Left), (Lower Right), (Upper Right))

Attempt 3:
23/12/2012@ 14:38:45
No Buttons Held
Spinner Results:
((Lower Left), (Upper Right), (Right), (Left), (Up), (Left), (Upper Left), (Down))

I can post more if required, but non so far have any results with consistent values. I have tried expanding the search values for Timer0, VCount and VFrame substantially, but all that that manages to do is overheat my computer, with still no Values found.
Please can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong, or if Australian Games have a different set of values that I should be searching for. Thanks
Other people have had this problem as well, but we don't know what the cause is. The solution, however, is to set the memory link flag in your configuration. I tested it with your first attempt result and it found a good hit.

I'm not sure whether this memory link flag setting will carry over to in-game RNG abuse, so you'll have to test that part out yourself. However, there is no downside to doing the memory link, so if you are able to I would anyway recommend it.

I'm not sure whether this memory link flag setting will carry over to in-game RNG abuse, so you'll have to test that part out yourself. However, there is no downside to doing the memory link, so if you are able to I would anyway recommend it.
So what, do the memory link in game and try again, or search the results with Memory link checked? I am capable of doing both, but if actually doing Memory Link stuffs it up again regardless, I don't want to go ahead and do that. (P.S. Thanks for testing the spin results, as well as what the solution is).

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
So what, do the memory link in game and try again, or search the results with Memory link checked? I am capable of doing both, but if actually doing Memory Link stuffs it up again regardless, I don't want to go ahead and do that. (P.S. Thanks for testing the spin results, as well as what the solution is).
I meant just set the flag in your configuration. Doing an actual memory link shouldn't change anything for you, except it may have an effect on your initial PID frame. That is the part that hasn't been tested for you particular situation.

Out of curiosity, though you haven't done a memory link, did you do anything else from the Unova link menu, like transfer a key from another game? Do you have any wondercards downloaded?

Out of curiosity, though you haven't done a memory link, did you do anything else from the Unova link menu, like transfer a key from another game? Do you have any wondercards downloaded?
Yeah, I have 2 Wondercards (The Local Keldeo and the Wifi Genesect), neither of which have been collected yet. Apart from that, no Keys or Memory Links have been used. There was 6 Pokemon sent over from the DR, however I got rid of them incase they messed up the calibration. I will try with the Memory Link ticked, and see how my values come out. Thanks for the help with it though.

Hi Chiizu,
I'm new to Smogon and RNG in general.
I have followed all the steps to find my parameters for an English White 2 game.
The VCount and VFrame when using the Black2/White 2 parameter search have never matched up. And on some occasions it won't find anything.

I'm not holding any buttons at the start up and the time and mac address are correct.
I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered but I had a quick read through most of the thread and didn't see anything.
Does the PPRNG work with a 3DS XL if you select DS type as 3DS in the config?

If you require any specific results then let me know and I can post them.

Thanks in advance.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi Chiizu,
I'm new to Smogon and RNG in general.
I have followed all the steps to find my parameters for an English White 2 game.
The VCount and VFrame when using the Black2/White 2 parameter search have never matched up. And on some occasions it won't find anything.

I'm not holding any buttons at the start up and the time and mac address are correct.
I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered but I had a quick read through most of the thread and didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance.
3DS and 3DS XL should be the same, afaik. Are you soft resetting, or actually hard resetting?

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
The VCount and VFrame when using the Black2/White 2 parameter search have never matched up.
What does 'never matched up' mean? VCount and VFrame are not supposed to match. Or do you mean that you don't get consistent values for VCount and VFRame across multiple attempts?

Yes, there should be no difference between a 3DS and a 3DS XL.

Yes, screenshots or other details are required in order to have any reasonable idea what the issue might be. However, if you are using the Unova Link method, it might be related to the Memory Link setting. Some people have to set Memory Link in the PPRNG config for it to work even though they haven't actually done a Memory Link.

Sorry I did mean that I didn't get any consistent values over mjuliple attempts for the VCount and VFrame.

Version: White 2 (English) UK, DS: 3DS XL, MAC address: 5C 96 9D 80 1E B7
TID: 47398, SID:48790
I made 3 attempts with memory link unchecked and didn't get any seeds.

With memory link checked;
Attempt 1 @18:57:21 on 07/01/2013;
Spinner sequence: down, down, down-left, down-left, up-right, right, down.
Seed: 5DE82C049B03BEAC
Time: 18:57:25
Timer0: 16F1
VCount: AD
VFrame: A

Attempt 2 @19:03:33 on 07/01/2013;
Spinner sequence: right, right, down, left, right, down, down-left.
Seed: E597650BBC59EB67
Time: 19:03:34
Timer0: 15B6
VCount: B5
VFrame: B

Attempt 3 @19:08:54 on 07/01/2013;
Spinner sequence: down-left, down-left, up, down-right, left, down-left, down, down.
Seed: 7D3557ADA8B41756
Time: 19:08:59
Timer0: 15B8
VCount: AE
VFrame: D

Sorry I can't upload an attachment for the image yet.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Sorry I did mean that I didn't get any consistent values over mjuliple attempts for the VCount and VFrame.

Version: White 2 (English) UK, DS: 3DS XL, MAC address: 5C 96 9D 80 1E B7
TID: 47398, SID:48790
I made 3 attempts with memory link unchecked and didn't get any seeds.

With memory link checked;
Attempt 1 @18:57:21 on 07/01/2013;
Spinner sequence: down, down, down-left, down-left, up-right, right, down.
Seed: 5DE82C049B03BEAC
Time: 18:57:25
Timer0: 16F1
VCount: AD
VFrame: A

Attempt 2 @19:03:33 on 07/01/2013;
Spinner sequence: right, right, down, left, right, down, down-left.
Seed: E597650BBC59EB67
Time: 19:03:34
Timer0: 15B6
VCount: B5
VFrame: B

Attempt 3 @19:08:54 on 07/01/2013;
Spinner sequence: down-left, down-left, up, down-right, left, down-left, down, down.
Seed: 7D3557ADA8B41756
Time: 19:08:59
Timer0: 15B8
VCount: AE
VFrame: D

Sorry I can't upload an attachment for the image yet.
Have you already started your game and saved at least once? You are not soft-resetting as The Agonist mentioned, correct?

If you are not having any luck at this point it's difficult to determine what the issue might be, but it's possible that you are getting the spinner direction incorrect sometimes. Your best bet may be to use the previous IV-based method as used in Black / White.

I have saved I'm quite a way into the game. And I use the home button on the DS and load up the game again from the main menu so not soft resetting.

I will try again and make sure i get the spinner direction right but i'm pretty sure I am.

Thanks for your help.

PsychicWill: Hi Chiizu, I hate to bug you again after so long, I don't know if you remember, but awhile back I contacted you to see if you could help me learn to RNG. Well, since then I've successfully RNGed 5 Pokemon using PPRNG, all using the Wonder Card Searcher. Today, I decided to try out the standard seed searcher again for a shiny, bold, hex flawless Larvesta off Route 18 (Bold because I couldn't find a Modest seed I liked). After getting some help with dealing with the NPC that moves in that house, I managed to successfully RNG the Larvesta. Thing is, it was the wrong Gender and it wasn't shiny. Until now the Pokemon I've RNGed have been Genderless, and set as un-shiny. I had already used Pokecheck on two occasions to find my Secret ID which was consistent, and I've double-checked my TID also. I'm using 1.14.4 and playing US Pokemon White Version. I have a few screenshots that I've put in a Dropbox folder that might be of interest: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96ni9yh5mwvyb93/xl9OZnzvfT

(Copy/pasted from irc channel)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I believe the Route 18 Larvesta egg has a unique generation method that is not included in PPRNG. I could be wrong though...

It's possible, but it did look like I'd gotten the Hex Flawless, and all I could find concerning it on the forums didn't seem to think so, just said that it occurs on frame 2, which you can see I accounted for from the Dropbox.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
PsychicWill: Hi Chiizu, I hate to bug you again after so long, I don't know if you remember, but awhile back I contacted you to see if you could help me learn to RNG. Well, since then I've successfully RNGed 5 Pokemon using PPRNG, all using the Wonder Card Searcher. Today, I decided to try out the standard seed searcher again for a shiny, bold, hex flawless Larvesta off Route 18 (Bold because I couldn't find a Modest seed I liked). After getting some help with dealing with the NPC that moves in that house, I managed to successfully RNG the Larvesta. Thing is, it was the wrong Gender and it wasn't shiny. Until now the Pokemon I've RNGed have been Genderless, and set as un-shiny. I had already used Pokecheck on two occasions to find my Secret ID which was consistent, and I've double-checked my TID also. I'm using 1.14.4 and playing US Pokemon White Version. I have a few screenshots that I've put in a Dropbox folder that might be of interest: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96ni9yh5mwvyb93/xl9OZnzvfT

(Copy/pasted from irc channel)
The larvesta egg on Route 18 has a special generation method for PID and nature that is not currently handled by PPRNG, unfortunately. It is the only thing that uses this generation method, and apparently people want egg moves on their Volcaronas anyway, so I hadn't bothered to add it.

But, wait, I got the nature and IVs I was expecting, it just wasn't shiny. If it's a special generation thing, how'd I manage that? In fact, it's the first time I didn't have to adjust one or two frames down to get the pokemon I wanted on a second or third try. PPRNG gave me the exact frames and seed for everything BUT the shininess.

I might only be speaking for myself, but i would really, really love it if you covered everything you possibly could in PPRNG. The program is so outstanding, it'd just make it beyond perfect if you could add everything, even the stuff that seems unnecessary. I'm sure you're extremely busy, but if you ever have a moment (or a day, I don't know how long these things take) when you want to program something, and aren't sure what, do you think you could put this in? Personally I haven't really gotten into competitive battle yet, and I'm always inclined to raise Pokemon gotten by some special means vs. bred, so...

Either way, though, I'd like to know how I managed to get everything but the shininess. Thanks.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
But, wait, I got the nature and IVs I was expecting, it just wasn't shiny. If it's a special generation thing, how'd I manage that? In fact, it's the first time I didn't have to adjust one or two frames down to get the pokemon I wanted on a second or third try. PPRNG gave me the exact frames and seed for everything BUT the shininess.
Everything BUT the shininess, gender, and perhaps the characteristic as well. Because all those things are determined by the PID, and the nature isn't (in Gen 5). You happened to hit a frame that lined up the nature RNG call to the same frame as for a gift (assuming that's what you used), but the PID frame does not line up in that case.

I might only be speaking for myself, but i would really, really love it if you covered everything you possibly could in PPRNG. The program is so outstanding, it'd just make it beyond perfect if you could add everything, even the stuff that seems unnecessary. I'm sure you're extremely busy, but if you ever have a moment (or a day, I don't know how long these things take) when you want to program something, and aren't sure what, do you think you could put this in?
I would really, really love it if I could cover everything as well. It's just a matter of prioritizing my limited time, and the Larvesta egg just doesn't have a high priority at the moment. Rest assured, however, that it is on a list somewhere...

(assuming that's what you used)
I'm not sure what you mean here, I used the standard seed searcher.

I would really, really love it if I could cover everything as well. It's just a matter of prioritizing my limited time, and the Larvesta egg just doesn't have a high priority at the moment. Rest assured, however, that it is on a list somewhere...
That's all I wanted to hear. Thanks :)

Edit: Also, is there anywhere that will tell me which Pokemon are like Larvesta in that they have special generation methods? I'm going for the Castelia Zorua next and I'm afraid to try now.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Edit: Also, is there anywhere that will tell me which Pokemon are like Larvesta in that they have special generation methods? I'm going for the Castelia Zorua next and I'm afraid to try now.
Larvesta is the only unique gift Pokemon. Zorua in Castelia City is generated like all other gift Pokemon.

I'm posting here because I honestly have no idea where else to go. Anyway, I have a problem with the RNG abuse of Emerald, and it's a long story, so I guess I'll start from the beginning:
I was about 15 hours into my game, and I was just learning about how you could spam EVs to max out a Pokemon's attack. The Slaking I was training ended up having a 443 attack at level 100. While I was doing this I came across a "randomly generated" Shiny Poochyena. It was awesome. Obviously I caught it (it's nickname is 1/8192), and treasured it. A while after I beat the Elite Four (at about 25 hours), I came across a title I had never heard before: RNG abuse. I was curious, so I read the article, and was amazed at what power I could wield. So, I legitly completed the Hoenn Pokedex, and randomly acquired a Modest Cyndaquil with 31 Spec. Atk IVs. I painstakingly killed oodles upon oodles of magnemites to max out it's power. Now I obliterate the battle frontier with it. Anyway, I had a little bit of RNGing under my belt, so I looked to see what else I could do with it. I found I could RNG other shinies through the poochyena I had caught. After Rare Candy spamming it up to level 51, I entered its stats into Metalkid's IV calculator. I got these results: HP:7 Attack:25 Defense:20 Spec. Atk:26 Spec. Def:31 and Speed:4 with a Lax nature (male). After I determined its PID, I used the formula with all the 0s and 1s, to compute my secret ID: 14320. My trainer ID: 61570. I entered these numbers into RNG reporter 8.31 with Method 2 and clicked "Shiny Only". Then I saw my goals extend in a small list below me: the best frame appeared to be #7105. This was only 1:58:41, it had a quiet nature, and it's IVs are as follows: 26/20/16/17/7/16 (and shiny, look it up yourself if you don't believe me). So now knowing what I must do, I bred Abra after Abra, until I received one with Synchronize and a Quiet nature. I spent about a day or two actually figuring out how this worked exactly, and I saw frames around there that I hit, telling me that I was sure that I successfully calculated my Secret ID, and that this program worked correctly (kudos to the authors). Then the hour came when I caught this Pokemon: Lvl 29 Wailmer (Male), Quiet Nature, with stats of: HP:110 Atk:46 Def:27 Spec. Atk:49 Spec. Def:25 Speed:36. After I entered these into Metalkid, I found it had these IVs: HP:25-28 Atk:18-21 Def:15-18 Spec. Atk:14-17 Spec. Def: 7-10 Speed: 15-22. This perfectly matched the frame I mentioned above, and I am absolutely sure that I hit the correct frame. The only problem: it wasn't shiny. I don't know why, even though by all accounts the Wailmer should have been shiny. I tried this after targeting a different frame (1:58:15), and I had similar results. That pokemon wasn't shiny either. I'm convinced that there's either something I missed, my game has failed somehow, or my RNG reporter is a bit glitched. Anyway, that's my problem. If anyone knows anything, please tell me, because this has caused me a great deal of frustration. I have been playing pokemon for over 10 years, Gens 1-4, and I know practically every secret to pokemon emerald (Regis, Pomeg Glitch, Cloning Glitch, etc.), so don't be afraid to use some advanced word choice in your answer. If game time has anything to do with this, I have played this game for about 163 hours total. Thanks so much!
-Pokemaster131

Agonist

RNG abuse in Emerald is unrelated to PPRNG, and this isn't really an RNG help thread to begin with. But, try posting it here instead.

Agonist

I apologize for the double post, but anyway, you wanted me to report this issue.

When searching for shiny seeds, in the seed searcher window it doesn't display the correct results for swarm encounters for some seeds. What I mean by that is that for example, it'll display a seed, and say it's a valid encounter for Grass/Cave, Doubles, Fishing, and Swarm, but it's almost never a valid encounter for swarms. In most cases the only time it's actually a valid encounter for a swarm is when fishing is the only other valid encounter type.

I'm on my iPod right now, but I'll post some screenshots later on to show what I mean.

Edit:

In the seed searcher, it shows that it's supposedly a Swarm encounter, but...

... in the seed inspector it says that it is not.

Edit 2:

Just a suggestion, but would it be possible to allow multiple HP choices when searching for seeds, that way you can filter out the HPs that are pretty much useless (Bug and Steel), while still getting multiple resutls?

nvm, caught you on irc.

Larvesta is the only unique gift Pokemon. Zorua in Castelia City is generated like all other gift Pokemon.
I'd still love it if there was somewhere specific to check. I've been having some difficulty with Zoroark in the Lostlorn Forest. Oh, and how does one RNG their starter when they haven't had a chance to verify their parameters in the game yet? I've been stuck right after the start of the game in BW2 because I want to RNG my first Tepig (went with the other two in BW). I started the game on the day they came out, so I'm hoping it doesn't involve starting a new game or anything. I'd also like to make it shiny, so I'm concerned about finding my SID when I won't be able to use PokeCheck.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
I'd still love it if there was somewhere specific to check. I've been having some difficulty with Zoroark in the Lostlorn Forest.
That special event can't be shiny, if I recall correctly. Other than that I don't think there's much special about it.

Oh, and how does one RNG their starter when they haven't had a chance to verify their parameters in the game yet? I've been stuck right after the start of the game in BW2 because I want to RNG my first Tepig (went with the other two in BW). I started the game on the day they came out, so I'm hoping it doesn't involve starting a new game or anything. I'd also like to make it shiny, so I'm concerned about finding my SID when I won't be able to use PokeCheck.
You can't RNG your starter if you don't know your parameters. You can make a guess based on common parameter ranges for the game version you are using (I don't know what they are for the English games), but at best you'll be able to get good IVs.

For shininess you would have needed to RNG your trainer ID, since otherwise you have no way of knowing your SID without the use of an external device such as an AR. And to RNG your trainer ID you will need to restart your game. On top of all that, there are a large number of wandering NPCs around when you get your starter, making it even more difficult to hit the correct PID frame. Most people don't consider it to be worth the effort.

You will get quicker answers to these general kinds of RNG questions by using the common Gen 5 RNG help thread. None of this is specific to PPRNG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)