1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Watch our World Cup of Pokemon Post-R1 Smogcast with some of Smogon's top players!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Programming PPRNG (Mac & iOS)

Discussion in 'Technical Projects' started by chiizu, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ScampMC

ScampMC

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I can't find any RNG Reporter thread.
    I'm wondering what happened to the encounter slot tables for Gen IV/V? The links from RNG Reporter now just go to an ad site. Is there another site with encounter tables, or a method that doesn't use them? And if this is the wrong section, sorry, could somebody redirect me? Thanks.
  2. .com

.com Grumpy old man
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Hi there.
    Noticed this when discussing with someone else that this wasn't the intended set up.
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

All of the date spinners in my PPRNG don't have a year. Included (in the screenshot); PPRNG version (1.15.0) and Mac OS X version (10.9.4).

Just wondering if there's any way to resolve this my end, as I've (eventually) found an RNG I'd like to do which I can't find a seed for in 2014.

Edit: Thank you for the response... Well I feel stupid, changed that so many years ago I'd completely forgotten. Thanks for the help.

Issue resolved.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. chiizu

chiizu PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
    is a Programmer Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Sorry, I missed the notification for your post somehow.

I haven't seen this exact issue before, but PPRNG just uses the standard system controls for date entry, so my guess is that you have changed how the date is displayed on your Mac.

You can check in System Settings to see how you've configured display of dates. There are different settings for full dates, partial dates, etc.
    .com likes this.
  4. Caledrith

Caledrith

I'm a semiexperienced RNGer. I've done many a mon on my Pokemon White Versions. However, for whatever reason, I'm having one helluva time trying to calibrate my Black 2. Whether through the search using a captured Pokemon and Sweet Scent, or using the Unova Link, I can't seem to get a correct Timer0. Is it possible that there is literally no correct/consistant Timer0 (I realize they fluctuate decently heavily) for my Black 2? I've used the same DS Lite for many RNG attempts with my Pokemon White Versions, but Hidden Grotto abuse is awful.
  5. OhSnapple!

OhSnapple!

I haven't done much RNG abuse in 5th gen. But I know the Timer0 in bw2, is much more unpredictable. If you have the choice, RNG in the first games. Otherwise, you're going to have a very difficult time RNGing
  6. Caledrith

Caledrith

The issue is trying to get a hidden ability pinsir shiny now that dreamworld is down :/
  7. chiizu

chiizu PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
    is a Programmer Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

If you are having trouble getting stable results when calibrating (particularly when using the IV method), either one of your settings in your profile is wrong (double check the MAC address to make sure there aren't any mix ups between Bs and 8s, for example), or there is a problem with your technique when starting (hard reset, never turn c-gear on, do not take even a single step before sweet scenting).
  8. viperGTS

viperGTS

I think the program is reporting incorrect results (this is on the Mac version of PPRNG).

Take the seed A4686420B73B747F as an example, with a target of 31/31/31/31/31/0 and encounter slot 5 on frame 84. According to PPRNG, this should result in a female if the gender ratio of the pokemon in that slot is 50/50 (which is what I assume the gender ratio's are for at the top). Anyways, I RNG and do the normal procedure, but I encounter a male instead! I could be reading the gender ratio's wrong, but I assume that's what 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 mean.

EDIT: Tried again, this time at frame 171 (I stopped at 170, then sweet scented). Still supposed to encounter a ferroseed, encountered a joltik instead. Why am I getting incorrect results?

It seems to be an issue with moving NPCs. Not sure if Chargestone Cave has them, but oh well... seems like I'm off frames which is definitely not an issue of PPRNG. Sorry~

Anyway, for 4th gen searches, it seems that inputting the encounter slots is irrelevant, because whenever I do, I'm given seeds where the encounter slots don't even match what I set the program to search for.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  9. oafragosov

oafragosov

I would like to start by saying thank you for your work! :) I really enjoy using your program. a few bugs here and there but great overall! :D and i was wondering if you plan on adding emerald support. for breeding mostly as us mac folk can't really get breeding rng help from rng reporter. or any other programs like it (if there any.) would really be a great feature! again, thanks for the help and hard work! :)
  10. Mars714

Mars714

Hello! As a Mac user I love having an RNG software I can use! I have learned how to use it reliably in the 5th gen, but wish to RNG in Gen 4 too. (That Cute Charm thing looks amazing) however, there's a lot I don't understand about the 4th gen setup. I found my secret ID useing the software, but I dont know how to go forward with hitting a simple seed. I want a shiny starter on HG, that's method one, right? I found a seed in which the star appears on frame 23. Will saving progess the frame as it does in BW? And I have no understanding of delay. Do I let the intro play? Or do I stop it? The time, is it still the exact start up time? Or does the delay effect it? I have a DS lite and Ruby/Sapphire for switching odd/even, apparently that happens. So... Can anyone help?

EDIT:
    I have done additional research and been attempting things all morning. I found the Zong Timer, and with it have been able to constantly receive the same pokemon, but not the desired pokemon. I have found out that the three starters of Heart Gold are based on different frames. The ones I want are ether Chikorita (Frame 1) or Cyndaquil (Frame 5) I have found no seeds with shinys on frame one but a few on frame five. However, I am encountering an error, I search for shiny, it comes up shiny, but upon clicking it the inspector holds no shiny on the seed. So I am unable to find a shiny seed. ANY shiny seed. I'd basically have to choose a random seed and hope it has my shiny on it.

EDIT 2:
    After continuing to search, I still encounter the problem of not being able to search for shiny seeds, however I wrote down the seed number of a seed with a star on frame 2. Then, I found a way to advance the frame! (Saving doesn't work) So I got A Shiny Chikorita! So no longer in a rush, but I still want to know whats up with this error.

Sorry for so many edits!
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  11. Zorrioh

Zorrioh

Since the macOS Sierra update for my Mac PPRNG is no longer usable. It simply says:

"You can't use this version of the application "PPRNG 1.15.0.app" with this version of macOS."

Just wondering if there will be a fix for this ever. Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, but I wanted to say something on here since there hasn't been a post about it (that I've seen). :(
    Drk Pwnr and das_eisenherz like this.
  12. blonde1

blonde1

The app doesn't work anymore because osx 10.12 stopped supporting Objective-C garbage collection.
    (when run from terminal this is the error: "objc[56730]: Objective-C garbage collection is no longer supported.")

One of the developers would need to update the code. I did find a Github for PPRNG (https://github.com/chiizu/PPRNG), maybe I could take a stab at fixing it...
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    partys over likes this.
  13. blonde1

blonde1

Good news! I successfully made fixes to the code so the app now works on 10.12! :D
    I forked the source to my GitHub, so if anyone wants it, it's here: https://github.com/michellevholloway/PPRNG

In the meantime here is a zip for the updated app. Right now I'm just hosting it from my own dropbox, but if OP wants to update this thread or host it somewhere else lmk!
    PPRNG 1.15.1 (Last updated: 6/17/17)

(I haven't done any extensive testing yet, but I didn't change anything with the base algorithms so it should all be the same. I also only tried it on 10.12, but it should be fine back to 10.7)
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    das_eisenherz and Mars714 like this.
  14. Mars714

Mars714

Hey this is cool, I just update to 10.12.5 I downloaded your updated app but when I try to open it, it said some components were missing. So of course I downloaded the Xkit file and opened the file, and this line was the problem:
    "boost/date_time/gregorian/gregorian.hpp" It said it could not find the file. I haven't edited anything as of now, should I?
  15. blonde1

blonde1

I'll take a look at it tonight, I probably need to package some contents into the app resources that I didn't know about... My environment on my computer is set to know the location of the boost library but it probably needs to be packaged with the app for universal ability to run
    Drk Pwnr and Mars714 like this.
  16. Mars714

Mars714

Yeah thanks. I installed some additional Xkit components and it solved that problem but reveled another very similar one... I can try again and make notes again, But its seems clear that I'm missing some developer tools that would let me run this... (My computer is old...) I'll look deeper into my missing files as well and keep you posted.
  17. blonde1

blonde1

Ok I'm pretty sure I fixed it. It still runs fine on my end so you'll have to test it ;)
    I updated the dropbox zip, so that link I posted earlier should download the most recent version
  18. Zorrioh

Zorrioh

It opens fine for me, I haven't used it yet though. Thanks for fixing!
  19. das_eisenherz

das_eisenherz
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor

Thanks so much for taking the time to fix it, I had about given up hope! It works great on my end so far!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)