1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Professor Smeargle: Digital Art Tutorial / Tutoring Thread

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Chou Toshio, May 4, 2011.

1. elcheeso

elcheeso
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

Oh derp. I knew I'd seen it recently... though I could've sworn the other website was in english. O.O

Edit: Nvm, googling it came up with the english version. That was easy! Thanks dude.
  2. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

HA! You wish. I'm gonna make a bigger, even more retarded cow next ;D
    Or maybe just a dugtrio :p
  3. Orugos

Orugos

Here's another great resource: http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/bodies-in-motion
  4. Furosuto

Furosuto

Could someone please make a how to draw pokemon for Paint? I don't own paint shop pro!
  5. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

6. Furosuto

Furosuto

I use paint for serious artwork.... well at least the sprites. So you are saying there is a free paint shop pro i can download????
  7. Fatecrashers

is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

yeah, i even gave you the link

and i didnt mean sprites in my previous post, sorry if that wasnt clear
  8. Ulysses

Ulysses

I've run gimp and CS4 in the past and I must say as long as what you're doing isn't too intensive, gimp is much more user-friendly. The interface is a lot easier to you and you still have all of the layer options among other things at your disposal.

So, if I were looking into buying a tablet, what model is best? Looking in the neighborhood of $100-130, I have a friend who likes Wacom and that seems to be the consensus here.
  9. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Wacom has good tablets. The one I bought was a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch for 100 dollars, but I dunno how much it would cost in other states/countries. It came with Bamboo Dock which has some fun games/tools/simple sketchpad stuff, as well as Photoshop Elements 8. I've only had the tablet since January so I can't say I know how long it lasts but it's still working for me at least, lol.
  10. Furosuto

Furosuto

Hi. I'm a guy who has only sketched and sprited stuff his entire life. I know next to nothing on digital painting. What would be of help to me if I wanted to scan my sketches and then paint them on the computer?
    And did someone make a digital colouring tutorial? If so, I would love to read it so i can get the basics down.
  11. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Use Pentool, it's super good for making Pokes!

I might make a tutorial some time for it
  12. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I just want to emphasize this. it is the single most important thing I learned when it comes to drawing!

you are a god. a GOD. i had wondered if there existed something like this, but alas, here it stands in my computer. usually i just copied poses from googling images, but this is going to save me a ton of work
  13. Jared

Jared

Moo I know I've told you this 100000 times on IRC (actually just once) but I would love you forever if you made a pentool tutorial. I would even pet your udders ;)
  14. Fatecrashers

i can confirm this, if you dont have a tablet, then its perfectly fine to scan in your sketches and outline them smoothly with the pen tool, in effect turning your sketches into guidelines for a digital piece, thats what i used to do before i bought a tablet, and it turned out nicely
  15. Furosuto

Furosuto

What is a good program for colouring scanned sketches that is FREE? I like how my sketches turn out, but I have to colour them with marker and pencil crayon (not that that is a bad thing) Also, I have tried using imgur to post my creations, but sometimes you have to click a link to get to the drawing or sprite on smogon. Is there a website that you can post your creations on that you don't have to sign up for?
  16. Fatecrashers

i already provided a link for paint shop pro

ulysses suggested gimp, which is also quite good and can be downloaded here

as for imgur, ive never had the problem you described, and i always use imgur, are you sure you are correctly posting the link in [​IMG]
  17. Furosuto

Furosuto

Can someone make a tutorial for drawing pokemon TRAINERS????
  18. Moo

Moo Professor

Finally made the tutorial!
    This is how I do my art, and if you follow this tutorial right, you'll end up with this:

[​IMG]
    Here it is:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  19. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Mooo hacking devices are not allowed on Smogon!

...jk, nice job dude. Added to the OP
  20. GTS

GTS

also worth noting, the amount of colors you use.
    the more layers of colors you add, and the more shapes, the more defined your vector becomes, and its that much easier to identify and can really bring it to the next level.

like for aerodactyl, you could hit the shadows on the stomach and whatnot to really bring out the contour of that mass.

(chou ~ wonderful custom status ^_^)
  21. Moo

Moo Professor

true, but i just kept it basic for the tutorial, and for the wcop flags :p
  22. Jared

Jared

Thanks Moo, here is my Gallade
    [​IMG]
  23. Moo

Moo Professor

nice work, keep it up :D
    see chou? no one else cares that it's cheating >=[
  24. Jared

Jared

Moo, also did a quick Litwick.
    [​IMG]
  25. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

mooooooooooving right along.... :P

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)