Pumice Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Item 539
かるいし - "Pumice Stone"

This apparently cuts the weight of the holder, akin to the new ability "Light Metal".

Any obvious uses outside protection for Grass Knot and Low Kick-weak Rock fatties?

Pretty much useless, not worth switching other useful items for it, same goes with Light Metal, not sure which Pokemon gets is besides Metagross, but I'd use Clear Body Metagross over Light Metal any day.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
i dont see any reason to use this even if grassknot or lowkick are se against you resist berries would still be better. However maybe there is an attack that hits harder the less you weight and that could be its only use on pokemon that get stab on this attack(if it exists^^).

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really think it will see much use since I would rather use a item less situational

Lol i suppose maybe Restalk Gyra could use it to counter NPInfernape which a lot of Stall teams seem to be weak to.Cant think of anything else tho.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Is there any word on how much this item reduces the holder's weight?

Arguably it's less useful then the Destiny Knot

There weren't even any new weight-based moves this gen

Actually, there were - Heat Stamp and Heavy Bomber... and both of them deal more damage on light targets.
Yeah, I have no idea of any possible use for this item. Maybe it does something cool when you use Fling?

Not useful at all. Can't think of anything that could benefit for this. Pretty much everything would benefit more from Lefties or Life Orb, then taking less from two attacks which aren't even VERY common.

You are now imagining how much better everything would be if Shadow Tag could only hold pokemon above a certain weight while lighter ones could switch out.

I guess... maybe Registeel? He does hate him some Low kick, which is a common coverage move on things like Ambipom.

We don't know how the tiers will shape up this gen, though. If Registeel ends up in a Teir with a large number of lubriciously powerful fighting types, being able to live pitiful low kicks may be of no consequence.

There has to be something GameFreak's going with here, especially with the ability Heavy Metal. I'm calling a future additional move or something based on a pokemon's weight...

Pumice stone Nattorei to survive Kabutops low kick and OHKO back?
Pumice stone swampert surviving grass knots?

I think there are some niches. Just like shed shell.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
They added a new move to the game that actually helps heavier pokemon. The move is called 'heavy bomber' and it apparently does more damage depending on the weight of the pokemon using it. I can easily see this replacing gyro ball on a lot of steel types.

They added a new move to the game that actually helps heavier pokemon. The move is called 'heavy bomber' and it apparently does more damage depending on the weight of the pokemon using it. I can easily see this replacing gyro ball on a lot of steel types.
It won't. I don't remember if it maxes at 100, 120, or 150, but it's based on botht he users weight and the targets weight. In most cases, the difference needs to be significant for it to max damage, and won't max on most of OU. Gyro ball is much better, especially since one could even run scarf deo-s to beat dory and swift swimmers now.

Perhaps it can help pokémon that are otherwise very susceptible to Grass Knot/Low Kick. Maybe use it in conjunction with Body Purge?

breh

強いだね
Pumice stone Nattorei to survive Kabutops low kick and OHKO back?
Pumice stone swampert surviving grass knots?

I think there are some niches. Just like shed shell.
I don't think that people realize that it halves actual weight. Now, instead of a 100 BP Low Kick, you've got... a (only slightly worse) 80 BP Low Kick.

Chople is better IMO.

(it's the same for swampert; its GK BP drops from 80 to 60, which is still far from bad, especially SE 4x)

Yeah, it's better if the 'mon in question just uses Body Purge, which lops 20 power off of a potential Grass Knot/Low Kick with each usage.

Aggron, for example, could make good use of Body Purge, as can Bivanilla (though, Acid Armor is probably better for him, all things considered).

The Pumice Stone on its own just doesn't do enough to reduce damage from Grass Knot/Low Kick. Maybe if it quartered Weight...

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to be blunt, but weight isn't all that relevant nor good in competitive battling except for cases like Grass Knot and Heavy Bomber. And Heavy Bomber isn't even used that much.

I see this item going into obscurity just like the barely-used event berries and Iron Ball.

It won't. I don't remember if it maxes at 100, 120, or 150, but it's based on botht he users weight and the targets weight. In most cases, the difference needs to be significant for it to max damage, and won't max on most of OU. Gyro ball is much better, especially since one could even run scarf deo-s to beat dory and swift swimmers now.
It maxes at 150, and Gyro is based on both user's Speed. The main problem is that because everyone uses fast Pokemon, Gyro Ball can usually get a pretty good Base Power. However, because many OU Pokemon tend to be heavy, being the monstrous behomoths that they are, Heavy Bomber isn't worth it unless you weigh like 800 lbs. and have Heavy Metal.

It's a moot point, anyway, as Pumice Stone just makes you take more from Heavy Bomber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)