Pokémon Pyukumuku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish this guy got something to use as a response to substitute. Other than mons that cure their own status, subs are the only thing that stops this guy in it's tracks on a toxic stall set.

So, uh, here's an idea.

What if you used the combination of Z-purify and curse in a baton pass set? Z-purify boost speed, making it illegal, but then you can just curse and cancel that out. It's kind of a gimmicky idea but this mon is kind of a gimmicky one anyway.

Wish this guy got something to use as a response to substitute. Other than mons that cure their own status, subs are the only thing that stops this guy in it's tracks on a toxic stall set.
The only things I can think of are Taunt (but not with THAT Speed) and Red Card for Substitute. *sigh* If only this thing was a Ghost type; it could hit them with Curse.

So, uh, here's an idea.

What if you used the combination of Z-purify and curse in a baton pass set? Z-purify boost speed, making it illegal, but then you can just curse and cancel that out. It's kind of a gimmicky idea but this mon is kind of a gimmicky one anyway.
That's... interesting. I never thought of it as a combo. Would it be worth trying out?

This thing would be so fun with just a single attacking move to fall back on. I personally can't believe that Game Freak failed to capitalize on it being a sea cucumber with its moveset.

"Gut Punch" would have been an epic signature move to give this thing.

So, uh, here's an idea.

? I don't understand; what's illegal about this?

I'm not sure if it has been thought of (I scrolled through the pages and didn't see it), but this Pokemon has amazing utility that no other poke can offer in Unaware + Psych Up. He can come in on setup mons and copy pass their boosts in an attempt to countersweep. I was thinking something along the lines of:

Pyukumuku Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 S.Def
Bold Nature
Ability: Unaware
-Psych Up
-Recover
-Toxic
-Baton Pass

It feigns normal ToxiStall shenanigans while doubling as an answer to setup sweepers which grants you immediate setup if they try to sweep you. The only thing is that I'm not sure how Baton Pass Clause is ruled vs Psych Up copying Speed.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if it has been thought of (I scrolled through the pages and didn't see it), but this Pokemon has amazing utility that no other poke can offer in Unaware + Psych Up. He can come in on setup mons and copy pass their boosts in an attempt to countersweep. I was thinking something along the lines of:

Pyukumuku Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 S.Def
Bold Nature
Ability: Unaware
-Psych Up
-Recover
-Toxic
-Baton Pass

It feigns normal ToxiStall shenanigans while doubling as an answer to setup sweepers which grants you immediate setup if they try to sweep you. The only thing is that I'm not sure how Baton Pass Clause is ruled vs Psych Up copying Speed.

Thoughts?
As long as a speed boost isn't passed with other stats it should be fine. Not sure how that works if the enemy has speed boost + sword dance up and you psych it. I feel like you would be disallowed from passing it then.

That set is viable and can be used with success, the "problem" is that the most utility that set could get was to prevent a setup sweeper from cleaning your team, and those generally carry speed boosts.

If you want to you can eliminate the speed boosts with Curse, but it doesn't seem optimal.

You can't send Speed + other stat boosts with Baton Pass, under the Baton Pass Clause.
I don't actually think it sounds that reliable, tbh, but it could probably win you some style points.

You'd probably want a pokemon with good enough speed to sweep without the boost and good enough bulk to rely on the +1/+1 defenses to not get revenge killed, like Mega Metagross, Mega Diance, Mega Gallade, and maybe even Marshadow when that releases. On a pokemon with a large enough BST, +2/+2/+1/+1 could be horrifying.

Reminds me of the good ol' days back when I used a White Herb + SmashPass Kyurem-B.

Interesting combo, using Soak on Metagross to poison it the next turn. Too bad they can just switch if they see it coming.
Thanks, it's literally the first set on this topic, I just maxed HP and DEF to make him the ultimate M-Metagross counter: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-500500811

They can see it coming and play around it, but there's a great thing about Soak that a lot of people seem to undermine: it take's away your opponent's STAB.

Just casually watching some replays and figured I'd pop in and say a bit.

First, I'd say that Innards Out is pretty much just an afterthought on this guy. This thing has pretty much (well, literally, except for Counter lol) nothing but Toxic for damage, and a lot of people just look at it and think they can set up. With the Innards Out set, giving something a turn or two to boost up can be pretty insanely damaging if they can absorb or play around the paltry 55 base HP landmine that Innards Out Pyukumuku is, but the Unaware set just eats it up as, at the very least, free turns to stall for toxic damage (as below). Throw Soaks out to ensure whatever comes out has their STAB reduced and enjoy the show, like so:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-500758713
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-500669662

And yeah, Soak is really, really undervalued. A lot of offensive 'mons just get butchered by it because of the loss of STAB, and being able to toxic (or at least threaten with toxic) everything is great. I'd say it'd be pretty even versus Toxic for spammability for catching something on the switch, as a Toxic from a Pyukumuku is pretty obvious, but having your steel, poison get hit with Soak instead (like guustavooo had with M-Gross) and being forced to either eat a Toxic on something or swap in whatever was forced out to prevent rampant status the next turn really puts a damper on things. Toxapex especially doesn't want to be put in the position of having to trade Toxics or swap out, and Celesteela taking toxic kind of kills the whole idea of Leech-Seed stalling.

Some weird little sets I saw that are, frankly, gimmicky as hell but they're cool just because they pretty much totally dismantle the opposing team. One's a Swagger (yes I know) set and the other's a non-BP Curse set. Dunno if they're worth mentioning, but I haven't seen anyone say much about these kinds of sets, so here you go!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-500758087
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-500766900

First, I'd say that Innards Out is pretty much just an afterthought on this guy. This thing has pretty much (well, literally, except for Counter lol) nothing but Toxic for damage, and a lot of people just look at it and think they can set up. With the Innards Out set, giving something a turn or two to boost up can be pretty insanely damaging if they can absorb or play around the paltry 55 base HP landmine that Innards Out Pyukumuku is, but the Unaware set just eats it up as, at the very least, free turns to stall for toxic damage (as below). Throw Soaks out to ensure whatever comes out has their STAB reduced and enjoy the show, like so:

And yeah, Soak is really, really undervalued. A lot of offensive 'mons just get butchered by it because of the loss of STAB, and being able to toxic (or at least threaten with toxic) everything is great. I'd say it'd be pretty even versus Toxic for spammability for catching something on the switch, as a Toxic from a Pyukumuku is pretty obvious, but having your steel, poison get hit with Soak instead (like guustavooo had with M-Gross) and being forced to either eat a Toxic on something or swap in whatever was forced out to prevent rampant status the next turn really puts a damper on things. Toxapex especially doesn't want to be put in the position of having to trade Toxics or swap out, and Celesteela taking toxic kind of kills the whole idea of Leech-Seed stalling.

Some weird little sets I saw that are, frankly, gimmicky as hell but they're cool just because they pretty much totally dismantle the opposing team. One's a Swagger (yes I know) set and the other's a non-BP Curse set. Dunno if they're worth mentioning, but I haven't seen anyone say much about these kinds of sets, so here you go!

I don't like the Curse one. If it's just to boost you DEF, Reflect would be better, IMO. Atleast you could support your teammates. Swagger + Unaware is actually brilliant, but I know...

IMO Pyukumuku's best set is Soak/Toxic/Recover/Protect, but the last slot is debatable. Gastro Acid looked cool. Now, for the EVs, as I said, I just blindly maxed HP and DEF to deal with Metagross, but someone more patient than me could run some calcs and know exactly how much DEF and SpDEF we should run.

Aguav Berry seems better than Leftovers on the Innards Out set as it prevents the ability from 'whiffing'. If you get hit for 80% on the switch-in then Aguav heals you to 70% and now your opponent can't use their move again lest they take 220 HP of damage. (with leftovers the ability would deal 82 damage)

IMO Pyukumuku's best set is Soak/Toxic/Recover/Protect, but the last slot is debatable. Gastro Acid looked cool. Now, for the EVs, as I said, I just blindly maxed HP and DEF to deal with Metagross, but someone more patient than me could run some calcs and know exactly how much DEF and SpDEF we should run.
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Pyukumuku: 123-145 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You can run significantly less and leave them with low 2HKO percents but if you're not dumping it in Def it's going in SpD anyways so why not just play it safe, I'm a right? As far as I can tell 104 seems to be the bare minimum for 3 hit guarentee buffer but you might as well run 128 in both because the damage difference is negligible and you get the most value per EV splitting it evenly. This assuming you're not running Curse however.

I agree that Unaware is the premier ability on this thing, but I feel you undervalue Innards Out a lot, especially in sets that don't have a consistent way to capitalize on Unaware due to Pyuku's extremely passive nature.

Dual Screens, Z-Memento, and to a lesser extent, Pain Split (I say "lesser" because it's a gimmick more than anything) are all sets that appreciate the extra utility Innards Out provides them as extra mileage you can get out of sacking Pyuku when it no longer serves its function.

tl;dr: I agree, but Innards Out is surprisingly neat as an option to have.

PS: Why are ppl not playing Baton Pass on this thing? It is literally its best move, yet none of the Pyukus among your replays seemed to have it (unless I missed it.)

I love that this thing can easily pass Curse Boosts to teammates, it is really great combined with a White Herb user getting "Bulk Up" boosts.

Is there a great Unburden Pokemon which would appreaciate the item loss and Atk/Def boosts?

I love that this thing can easily pass Curse Boosts to teammates, it is really great combined with a White Herb user getting "Bulk Up" boosts.

Is there a great Unburden Pokemon which would appreaciate the item loss and Atk/Def boosts?
I guess either Hitmonlee or Hawlucha.

Minior with Acrobatics + White Herb?

Also, FantasticMrDelphox, I used BP on my first replay. But I found protect to be better for Toxic stall.

Minior with Acrobatics + White Herb?
You don't want to do that, it's better to shell smash with Minior because he won't get any speed boost from the Curse/Pass and it'll eat his herb. Also anything that would come in on pyukumuku is fairly likely to have an electric move.

Sceptile might be a decent option with unburden and it resists both of pyukumuku's weaknesses. Though I don't think Sceptile+White Herb would be even remotely viable in OU.

Last edited:
One lovely ability of this little guy is his ability to absolutely kill momentum for both sides. Swapping in Pyukumuku makes the opponent drop whatever they are currently up to in order to deal with it, a power that definitely deserves respect.
There are a couple ways to go around doing the same thing.

Something like
Swagger
Toxic
Soak
Baton Pass/Taunt
Is great at racking up damage and poisoning unexpected targets, as well as cutting the power of a sweeper without affecting confusion damage. Baton Pass lets you safely switch something in after the opponent acts, while Taunt has a bevy of uses stopping all kinds of trickery and lets you run Baton Pass on something else.

Something like
Fightinium-Z/Normalium-Z
Counter/Bide
Toxic
Taunt
Pain Split/Baton Pass
This lets the lil' guy unexpectedly lash out at someone. Pyukumuku having no offensive presence may well lull the enemy into bringing something vulnerable in to deal with it. Fighting is put first because of the better coverage and surprise KO's, even though Bide would probably be better.

Both abilities have use as well. Unaware is better for general use in stopping a sweep cold, but if you particularly need to assassinate a Tapu Koko or something Innards Out can work there.
Pyukumuku is a Pokemon that I can see working to great effect on a variety of teams in all tiers, much like Shedinja. Unlike Shedinja, Pyukumuku has a place on a lot more teams, since a one use get out of jail free card is immensely powerful, even if it is at the cost of your sixth teamslot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)