[QC Ready 0/3] Abomasnow

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Keepin' it frosty since dpp

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Everyone loves Abomasnow. All the typical goodstuffs are there.</li>
<li>Gets a Mega Evolution, which majorly jacks up its offenses and defenses.</li>
<li>One of the only MEvos that hits harder than LO (and I think Specs).</li>
<li>100% accurate Blizzard.</li>
<li>Interesting STABs.</li>
<li>Increased team support options of Gen6 for removing hazards helps.</li>
<li>For regular Abomasnow, Soundproof buff provides niche with Substitute being immune to its nerf.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Bad defensive typing.</li>
<li>Priority weak.</li>
<li>Slow.</li>
<li>Hazard weak.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Abomasnow @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Soundproof / Snow Warning<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD <br />
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)<br />
- Substitute<br />
- Leech Seed<br />
- Ice Beam / Blizzard<br />
- Wood Hammer</p>

<p>This is solely for the niche of Soundproof. Really not Abomasnow's best set, but it's arguably the only thing it can run outside of Mega-Evolution. Soundproof is great for Substitute, but the lack of residual damage from Snow Warning decreases its value.</p>

[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]

<p>Abomasnow @ Abomasite<br />
Ability: Snow Warning<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA <br />
Quiet / Brave Nature (+SpA / +Atk, -Spe)<br />
- Blizzard<br />
- Wood Hammer<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Ice Shard</p>

<p>Here we go, now we're cooking. Uses Mega Abomasnow's 150 SpA and respectable 135 Atk to hit hard. 100% accurate Blizzard rules. Wood Hammer for complementary STAB, since Giga Drain isn't yet released. EQ for coverage; Ice Shard for priority. Great wallbreaker with good bulk, despite poor defensive typing.</p>

<p>Abomasnow @ Abomasite<br />
Ability: Snow Warning<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA <br />
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)<br />
- Leech Seed<br />
- Substitute<br />
- Blizzard<br />
- Wood Hammer</p>

<p>Takes Mega Abomasnow in a more defensive route, thanks to its 95 base defenses. Leech Seed + Snow Warning make for some great residual damage. Takes advantage of less hazards on the field to switch in numerous times. Blizzard for when you need to knock some heads, and Wood Hammer for STAB when necessary. Protect can also be used in there for more annoyance, preferably in the final slot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Pretty much everything from previous gens. Fire-types and Steel-types are good switch ins (watch out for EQ), and can hits with SE STAB. Special note goes to Talonflame for outspeeding Ice Shard while switching in on STAB Grass-type or Earthquake with ease. Physical Bulky mons like Aegislash and Intimidate Salamence can tank the Ice Shard and usually retaliate with a SE attack. Nothing has really changed on this account, just use something (anything) that outpaces and go for SE attacks.</p>

Last edited:
First of all, Mega Abomasnow has 132 in both offenses and 105 in its defenses. I'm also not sure if normal Abomasnow really deserves a set, except maybe scarf, but I haven't tested anything like that.

In the counters, I would mention a few specifics, for example Talonflame, which outspeeds even with Ice Shard and likely OHKOes with Brave Bird, and laughs at any grass type move or eq.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Research is telling me 135 / 150 offenses and 95 / 95 defenses here, so I'm gonna stick with that unless proven otherwise. Normal 'snow really doesn't deserve a set, but this format makes it so that you have to post sets for the regular Pokemon before the MEvo, which in this case massively outclasses the normal forme. Scarf Abomasnow is not really a good set... it wasn't in BW2 and I can't imagine it being any better here.

Sure, I can mention some specifics. I just don't want to bog the preview down with the long list of things that counter Abomasnow (of which there are many). This is ready for Quality Control.

Abomasnow is incapable of learning Giga Drain (Move tutor only) or Focus Punch (TM only) for now so those need to be removed.

Last edited:
Research is telling me 135 / 150 offenses and 95 / 95 defenses here, so I'm gonna stick with that unless proven otherwise. Normal 'snow really doesn't deserve a set, but this format makes it so that you have to post sets for the regular Pokemon before the MEvo, which in this case massively outclasses the normal forme. Scarf Abomasnow is not really a good set... it wasn't in BW2 and I can't imagine it being any better here.

Sure, I can mention some specifics. I just don't want to bog the preview down with the long list of things that counter Abomasnow (of which there are many). This is ready for Quality Control.
The stat spread on the research thread has changed - 132/132 offenses and 105/105 defenses.

I don't know if you've seen it or not yet given that the OP still says 132/150 and 95/95 - just thought I'd let you know~

According to serebii his mega stat line is:
90:Hp 132:Attack 105:Defense 132:Special Attack 105:Special Defense 30:Speed

I just bred a brave one and seeing as how according to OP's list he'll be using more physical attacks than special attacks I think I'll go with him. And let you guys know how it pans out.

Then again...I don't even know if I'm allowed to post here...

Edit: Also it may be worth it for quiet nature just to spam amazingly strong blizzards.

Last edited:

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Please convert back to skeleton format. Also I'd recommend adding a little bit more information to the sets about how they operate etc, primarily to the first one.

Stats need to be updated, offenses are 132 / 132.

I would also mention that Mega-Abomasnow functions much, much better under Trick Room support. I realize Trick Room is something that works better in doubles than singles, but it's the only way that Abomasnow will be outspeeding everything he needs to hit. Chandelure, Reuniclus, or lvl 1 Suicide Trick Room Smeargle are worthy partners.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually more than just that needs to be updated. K, first off, here are the updated stats from the Research end of things:

90 / 132 / 105 / 132 / 105 / 30

Next, some things to discuss:

- I think Rock Slide deserves a mention because Talonflame can sort of get a couple free switch-ins. That is, unless Abomasnow uses Blizzard. Even then, Blizzard can shockingly become from a OHKO to a 2HKO (unless Stealth Rock is in play). This forces a lot of mindgames with Abomasnow relying on Earthquake on the Roost or risk taking STAB Brave Bird / Flare Blitz. Careful Bulk Up is a rare case, though. Rock Slide also helps you ease through other Abomasnows, so at worst it deserves a mention.
- I see no reason to ever use Soundproof on Abomasnow. The best you're attempting to make yourself immune to is really niche moves. Think Bug Buzz, Boomburst, and Hyper Voice. The only real common Bug Buzz users include Volcarona (which has Fire) and Galvantula (often a suicide lead and honestly Abomasnow shouldn't try fighting it anyway). Boomburst is limited to Noivern and Exploud - both which carry at the least a Fire-type attack. Finally, Hyper Voice has a slightly higher selection but few notable Pokemon (the only one would be Mega Gardevoir but it's in Pokebank). Roar I guess is notable, but Roar is only used by a handful of Pokemon (I can think of... bulky Gyarados, Mega Aggron, bulky Garchomp, Hippowdon). I guess this list makes it a bit more reasonable to use, but why sacrifice 100% accurate Blizzards anyway? Seems fairly pointless to me.
- Also could really use some teammates.

Since all I have to do is write Mega Aerodactyl (which should be done tonight), if Birkal wants I can take over this analysis since it hasn't been touched in quite a long time. But I'll leave that up to him and QC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)