Rising Sun: A Suspect Warstory

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Usually I do something to do with Ubers, be it trying to show off a certain pokemon, or just get people interested in Ubes in general. I've never been one to really care about OU all that much, suspect means less to be than the penny on the ground, or the ant crawling across the ground. However, there is one suspect test that I have been interested in for the longest time; it is the Manaphy test. Some may ask, "Why is Manaphy so special?" I will say that out of all the Pokemon we've tested, Manaphy is the most interesting. Not because it was once OU, then banned because of its amazing sweeping power, but because of how it will effect the metagame. Rain Teams will be come more common, and I can finally get the warstory I was hoping for, Sunny Day vs Rain Dance. Sadly, this match is not the amazing one I was hoping for. But! It was a great match as a whole, and I have never really gotten to show off my Sunny Day team.

Gen. Empoleon's Team:

bravebraveSirRobin:

Well I assume you can tell from looking at my team that I have an outstanding weakness to Salamence AND Manaphy, if the sun is not happily shining on the field. Tyranitar is also an issue as my main answer to him, is also one of my Sunny Day pokemon, Hariyama. Shiftry and Tangrowth are my Sunny Day abusers, while Heatran is in reserve to do some damage with boosted STAB Fire Blasts. Last but no least Swampert is here to lay down rocks, and revenge kill +1 Salamence locked into Outrage.

• Sleep Clause
• Freeze Clause
• OHKO Clause
• Evasion Clause
• Species Clause
• Strict Damage Clause
My comments, you guessed it! Are purple
The score will be in red
The battle will be bolded
The damage (in percents) will be underlined
Leftovers will be ommited

[/FONT]
Gen. Empoleon: Swampert
bravebraveSirRobin: Rotom-w and Manaphy
Sand storm damage will be ommited

bravebraveSirRobin sent out Jirachi.
Gen. Empoleon sent out Hariyama.

Jirachi leads always are scarfed, there isn't much of an exception to this rule (unless the person you are playing is reachzero). It doesn't really matter to much what kind of Jirachi it is, since my Hariyama comes with Fake Out. It's better to scout for Leftovers than blindly use Sunny Day or Close Combat.

Hariyama used Fake Out.
It's not very effective...
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
Jirachi flinched!

100%
94%

No Leftovers, and nothing to suggest that this Jirachi isn't the scarfed version. Though it may seem silly to do, I use Sunny Day here, not because I don't fear this Choice Scarf Jirachi, but because some Jirachi don't fear Hariyama, meaning they put down Stealth Rocks and I get my sun shining.

---
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Hariyama lost 24% of its health.
Hariyama flinched!

76%
94%

Though it didn't exactly work as planned I now know that my Heatran can come in and scare the little metal bug off me. He can't do much, considering that I'm 4x resistant to Iron Head.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Heatran.
Jirachi used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

76%
--->
100%
94%

And it turns out that this little guy isn't a Scarf Jirachi at all, which is just fucking great. Heatran is still ready to go, STAB Fire Blast off of his Special Attack stat should be more than enough to eat the bug alive

---
Heatran used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!

After I selected the move somthing dawned on me; last time I played a Jirachi that didn't have Choice Scarf, it was carrying Occa Berry, and since non Choice Scarf Jirachi's are so rare...

Jirachi lost 65% of its health.
The Occa Berry weakened Fire Blast's power!
Jirachi used Body Slam.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
Heatran is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

88% + paralysed
24%

Occa Berry it is. Not only that but my Heatran, and late game clean upper, is now completely crippled. I don't want to risk any more of my pokemon getting an unfortunate condition from this Jirachi, so I keep Heatran in and use Fire Blast once more.

---
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Tyranitar.
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Heatran's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.

88% + paralysed
24%
--->
100%

In comes the bane of my Sunny Day team, Tyranitar. Lucky I carry one of the best Tyranitar counters in the game, Hariyama. I out speed normal Choice Band Tyranitar and OHKO it with Close Combat. With how the match has been going, I can't afford to make any extremely risky predictions.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Hariyama.
Pointed stones dug into Hariyama.
Hariyama lost 6% of its health.
Tyranitar used Earthquake.
Hariyama lost 31% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

88% + paralysed --->
33%

100%

Hariyama takes an average amount from the Choice Band Earthquake, though I was not surprised. I have EVd my 'Yama to out run a Tyranitar just because of this situation. Close Combat is the easy choice to make, Sunny Day may help me at some point, but it certainly wouldn't be with a Tyraitar still in play.

---
Hariyama used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Tyranitar lost 100% of its health.
bravebraveSirRobin's Tyranitar fainted.
Hariyama's defence was lowered.
Hariyama's special defence was lowered.
The sandstorm rages.

26%

KOd
6-5 Gen. Empoleon

First blood of the game. I really need to use Sunny Day soon though, otherwise another two pokemon on my team will be completely useless.

---
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Salamence.
Salamence's intimidate cut Hariyama's attack!

Now I have a conundrum. I have nothing on this team that can actually take on a Salamence without revenge killing, even then Heatran was my best option. If I use Sunny Day, and he uses Earthquake or Outrage, then one of my two Sunny Dayers will be gone. If I use Close Combat, while he uses Dragon Dance, then I have wasted a turn where I could have done something. My best move is to use Sunny Day, Swampert can take a +1 Outrage and OHKO back with Ice Beam.

Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Salamence's attack was raised.
Salamence's speed was raised.
Hariyama used Sunny Day.
The sandstorm stopped.
The sun began to shine!
The sun continues to shine.

26% - 1Atk

100% + 1 Spe / Atk

Well that could not have gone more perfect, I have the Sun up, and Salamence decided that he would try to sweep me (though it is still very possible that he can). I don't want to switch out and weaken any of my other pokemon, so it's time to say goodbye to Hariyama.

---
Salamence used Earthquake.
Hariyama lost 26% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Hariyama fainted.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.

KOd

90% + 1 Spe / Atk
5-5 tie

Hariyama goes down, the only pokemon that can actually switch in is Swampert, my Sunny Day abusers run Hidden Power [FIRE]. Swampert can come in, take the needed hit then finish off his sweeper once and for all.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Swampert.
Pointed stones dug into Swampert.
Swampert lost 6% of its health.
Salamence used Outrage.
Salamence went on a rampage!
Swampert lost 81% of its health.
Shooting Star lost 10% of its health.
Swampert used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Shooting Star lost 80% of its health.
bravebraveSirRobin's Salamence fainted.

19%
KOd
5-4 Gen. Empoleon

Swampert takes a heavy blow, he isn't going to get much use this game, it's plain to see. I don't doubt he would bring in another stat upper, but hopefully Tangrowth or Shiftry can take it out faster.

---
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Scizor.

I can't risk a pokemon getting U-Turned, and none of my pokemon (besides Cresselia, who fears U-Turn) will like taking a Bullet Punch right now. I decide to keep Swampert on the field, in hopes of maybe getting Stealth Rocks down.

Scizor used U-turn.
Swampert lost 19% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Swampert fainted.
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Jirachi.

KOd
100%
--->
24%

4-4 Tie

Now out of the four pokemon I have left, most of them can take this Jirachi on. Heatran can come in, use Fire Blast and call it a day, but if he carries a Water-type (and this being the Manaphy testing) then it would be a waste. If I send in Tangrowth, he can break walls with his amazing Attack stats, and maybe even make this match in my grasp. Shiftry can come in and use his wide assortment of attacks, KOing Jirachi and maybe even a Blissey with Explosion.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Tangrowth.
Pointed stones dug into Tangrowth.
Tangrowth lost 12% of its health.

Tangrowth was the best bet for me, he is a beastly mixed attacker, making it easy to open up his team for Shiftry to sweep later. I am concerned if he is carrying Manaphy, as she may be able to survive a Power Whip and finish me off with Ice Beam. That's thinking to far ahead. To most people's surprise, Tangrowth comes with the moves Earthquake and Swords Dance; now out speeding Timid Choice Scarf Heatran, he is a almost an unstopable force.

Tangrowth used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 29% of its health.
bravebraveSirRobin's Jirachi fainted.
Tangrowth lost 10% of its health.

78% + loving the sun
KOd

4-3 Gen. Empoleon

Earthquake finishes off his Jirachi like nothing, Scizor may cause Tangrowth some trouble, but Hidden Power [FIRE] may scare the bug off.

---
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Rotom-w.

Fuck, Rotom! I feel like that he would want Tangrowth dead, not alive and crippled. So my opponent will most likely Shadow Ball me, which I'm sure Tangrowth can survive one of.

Tangrowth used Swords Dance.
Tangrowth's attack was sharply raised.
Rotom-w used Will-o-wisp.
Tangrowth was burned!
Tangrowth was hurt by its burn!
Tangrowth lost 12% of its health
66% + 2 Atk + burn
100%

FUCK! There is no way to express the anger I had at this moment in time. I may that I have fooled Robin into thinking that I am a physical Tangrowth set, so I may be able to surprise him with my Hidden Power.

---
Tangrowth used Hidden Power.
Rotom-w lost 42% of its health.
Tangrowth lost 10% of its health.
Rotom-w used Substitute.
Rotom-w lost 25% of its health.
Rotom-w made a substitute!
Tangrowth was hurt by its burn!
Tangrowth lost 12% of its health.

43% + 2 Atk + burn
33% + substitute

Looks like my plan worked, he took a substantial amount of damage, though he is behind a Subsitute, I can break it next turn and set up Sun again (For those who weren't counting Sunny Day ends next turn).

---
Tangrowth used Hidden Power.
The substitute took damage for Rotom-w!
Rotom-w's substitute faded!
Rotom-w used Shadow Ball.
A critical hit!
Tangrowth lost 43% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Tangrowth fainted.
The sun faded.
KOd
39%
3-3 Tie

I break his sub, and he breaks my body. I need to scare his Rotom out, and the only pokemon that can do that right now is my paralysed Heatran.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Heatran.
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.

Heatran is probably a poor option right now, considering he's crippled, can only use a Fite-type attack for STAB and my opponent, with all intents and purposes, is probably carrying a Manaphy. This isn't something that is completely shocking, but I need to form a plan around this fact. If I use Fire Blast, his Water-type (if he has one) will come in. I then need to go to Cresseila, set up Sunny Day (to weaken Water-type moves) then hope Shiftry can get in safely and survive a Bullet Punch from what probably is a Choice Bad Scizor.

bravebraveSirRobin switched in Manaphy.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Manaphy lost 30% of its health.

76% + paralysed
76%

Gen. Empoleon: I'm going to bomb you
I said this because I've run this game through my head, this is my second run in with a Manaphy, and because the first time a OHKOd her with Solar Beam right away, I don't know how much power she packs. My fear is that a +2 STAB Surf coming off of Manaphy is enough to OHKO my Cresselia (a long shot but it could happen, I run very few SpDef EVs). I switch to Cresselia on the very obvious turn in which Manaphy can stat up.

Gen. Empoleon switched in Cresselia.
Pointed stones dug into Cresselia.
Cresselia lost 12% of its health.
Manaphy used Tail Glow.
Manaphy's special attack was sharply raised.

76% + paralysed ---->
88%
82% + 2 SpAtk

Manaphy has + 2 SpAtk, Cresselia has taken damage from Stealth Rocks, and my main concern is getting Sunny Day up, even if it is by the skin of my teeth. If, magicly, I do have enough HP to survive 2 more Surfs, then I can set up Reflect and hope Manaphy doesn't try to stall me out.

---
Manaphy used Surf.
Cresselia lost 41% of its health.
Cresselia used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!

47%
88% + 2 SpAtk

Words will not express my shock and awe at how little a +2 Manaphy did to my Cresselia. When I switched Cresselia in I was expecting to take roughly 60% easily, but this was just a shock. I can easily set up Reflect now.

---
Manaphy used Tail Glow.
Manaphy's special attack was sharply raised.
Cresselia used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!

47% + Reflect
94% + 4 SpAtk

Manaphy takes the time to stat up and seek revenge for the blistering sun beating down on its brow. I may as well take advantage of this situation and hit Manaphy with a Charge Beam.

---
Manaphy used Ice Beam.
Cresselia lost 38% of its health.
Cresselia used Charge Beam.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Manaphy lost 36% of its health.
Cresselia's special attack was raised.

9% + Reflect
64% + 4 SpAtk

Lady Luck decided to show her ugle head on my side of the field and give Cresselia a Critical Hit. It wasn't anything too bad, as a Life Orb Solar Beam off of Shiftry can OHKO a Manaphy any way, it was still nice to see that Manaphy wasn't all that bulky. (Hell she even took 30% from a Not Very Effective Fire Blast). My plan will only work of Manaphy decides to kill me next turn, Reflect only has three more turns of effect.

---
Manaphy used Ice Beam.
A critical hit!
Cresselia lost 9% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Cresselia fainted.

KOd
71% + 4 SpAtk
2-3 Robin

Cresselia goes down (thankfully) and now I can switch Shiftry in for completely free. Right now, Shiftry can hit the last few of his remaning pokemon for Super Effective damage. The problem is (and forever will be) Scizor.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Shiftry.
Pointed stones dug into Shiftry.
Shiftry lost 12% of its health.

Shiftry comes in, absorbs the sun light, and is ready to kill. Solar Beam is the obvious choice, dealing some damage to Scizor, and probably KOing his Rotom.

Shiftry used Solarbeam.
It's super effective!
Manaphy lost 71% of its health.
bravebraveSirRobin's Manaphy fainted.
Shiftry lost 10% of its health.

78% + Reflect
KOd
2-2 Tie

He lets Manaphy die, perhaps in hopes of it surviving the attack, or maybe he thought I was carrying a less powerful Grass-type move.

---
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Scizor.

This is it, the make or break of the match. Though I have Reflect up I am worried about Bullet Punch coming off of this Scizor. I run a - Def nature on Shiftry, who is already as frail as a piece of paper.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Shiftry lost 43% of its health.
Shiftry used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 100% of its health.
bravebraveSirRobin's Scizor fainted.
Shiftry lost 10% of its health.
Shiftry's reflect wore off!

35%
KOd

2-1 Gen. Empoleon

Seems me worrying was all for naught, Shiftry survived the attack at a comfortable 35% and is ready to KO his Rotom switch in with Dark Pulse.

---
bravebraveSirRobin switched in Rotom-w.

sorry the ending was so... expected.

Shiftry used Dark Pulse.
It's super effective!
Rotom-w lost 46% of its health.
bravebraveSirRobin's Rotom-w fainted.
Gen. Empoleon wins!

Shiftry finishes the game off with a bag. Robin gave me a great match, and showed that Manaphy wasn't as bulky as I expected it to be. Also this should show you guys to never take Sunny Day teams lightly!

Props:
Tangrowth
Shiftry for cleaning up late game like a beast
Hariyama, for being better that a Tyranitar
Swampert, took down a +1 Salamence
An odd Jirachi lead, that was effective
Rotom, for crippling Tangrowth
Tyranitar, he's a cool guy
Manaphy, for being making my Sunny Day team effective!

Slops:
Heatran didn't do a whole lot
Neither did Tyranitar
Scizor killed a wak Swampert, that's about it

Great job as always Gen. I myself attempted a sunny day team on suspect, but it didn't really go as well....

The best part of this is that you were devoloping a strategy as the battle went on, which is something that I think all warstories should show.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Good thing it wasn't my team you faced. Then it would've been a horrible warstory.

Anyway, it seems slightly early during the suspect round for a warstory already, seeing as the metagame there could change any moment.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only for cheaters like you.

but in reality I love you

Also sorry for the lack luster battle guys. =[ I promise it won't happen ever again.

Even if the battle wasn't fantastic, it was quite cool to see a Sunny day team in action. That, and the comments still made the warstory pretty interesting.

Good warstories don't have to be close. The battle was not spectacular, but you made up for it with comments. The battle was NOT terrible, by the way.
I'd like to see how Hail fares against your team.

The battle wasn't bad; it was just generic. An everyday match not worth warstorying.

Comments were decent though. I don't understand why you were so "Oh noes" about hitting Occa Jirachi though. Earth Power would've done the exact same damage. I dunno what you would have switched to either.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Well, wasn't a very great battle, but a great warstory to say the least. You're comments, like everybody said, is what makes your warstories awesome. Keep it up!

haunter

Banned deucer.
The battle wasn't spectacular, but your warstories are always entertaining. Nice job. And kudos for using a sunny day team.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In retrospect, my biggest mistake was leaving Tyranitar in on Hariyama rather than going straight to Rotom. Tyranitar walls your Shiftry to no end, so it might have ended up costing me the match.

Hmm...

Gen. Emp, I cant wait for when you have a Sunny day vs. Rain Dance match. That will be awesome! Nice story by the way!

About your Cresselia, was it a max HP/SpD one? If it was, it would make sense to take as little as 40% from a Tail Glow Manaphy's surf. Anyhow, the slop to this battle might be that Manaphy didn't do shit during this battle.

Not the greatest of battles, but Empoleon writes well as always.

Weather teams tend to have one-sided battles, though, as I've experienced with a Rain team on PBR (granted, it's 3 vs. 3, but you still have a lot of competitive players). You either crush your opponent quickly, or your sweep quickly grinds to a halt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)