1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 4 RoA Speed BKCCAT 2 - Step 6: Final Adjustments

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by sandshrewz, May 3, 2013.

1. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm going to throw in a last minute submission for SubCharge Lanturn as well~

[​IMG]
    Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 148 SpD / 56 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SpA -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam

Playstyle: Bulky Offense

SubCharge Lanturn is a lot of fun to play with and it actually works pretty decently. It has good coverage and can often get at least to +1 and damage something. It doesn't have a high base SpA but once it can gain a couple of boosts (sometimes to +3), it wrecks. Rarely does it sweep at the first set up but for each time it gets to +1 and above, its checks and counters are worn down repeatedly till it can finally pull off a full sweep. It does have it flaws like being terribly weak to status and Toxic Spikes. But I'd like to see how CCAT can build a team around it if it does get voted lol.

____

Also SD Venusaur, SubCM Raikou, and SD Gliscor all look great as well. SD Venusaur and Gliscor hardly even exist and SubCM Raikou is very underused despite it being pretty good. Most submissions here are setup Pokemon too though! Onto votings~
  2. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Step 2: Playstyle & Starting Pokemon Voting

There wasn't as much discussion going on as I hoped! Hopefully it'll pick up after this~~

Vote for:
    JackieChun
    Lohgock
    BKC
    Aerodactyl Legend
    HUARGH
    sandshrewz

This will last ~24 hours!
  3. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto

4. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I like the BKC Raikou
  5. viashinomage

viashinomage

HUARGH

I love taking it slow in pokemon
  6. Endeby

Endeby formerly Andeby

That Lucario seem pretty cool. Lohgock.
  7. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

can i vote for myself? if so, i do. if not, then JackieChun. sd venusaur seems interesting.

btw cb mamo is a total waste of its potential! if we go with it, gotta go with life orb
  8. HUARGH

HUARGH

Voting for yourself is rather pointless and voting for another person is either counterproductive or hypocrite.
  9. Funkasaurus

Funkasaurus i know what is next, but you won't believe me
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

10. xtra$hine

xtra$hine xtraDOLLARshine
    is a Past SPL Winner

11. Danilo

Danilo
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

12. adv

adv formerly Triangles

JackieChun.
  13. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

Voting for yourself is certainly not pointless, you'd be defending your idea/submission.

I'd really like to see what other people's views would be on using Gliscor in the current metagame, but I'm definitely starting to get interested in trying Venusaur, so I'll say JackieChun.
  14. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

15. Mulligan

Mulligan

Guys, we can vote for our own. It is allowed, especially since it's happened in previous CCATs. I'd ask first about changing your vote if you want to change it, but I don't see why you couldn't since that's happened in previous CCATs too lol

Obv. I vote JackieChun
  16. Lohgock

Lohgock

I don't need to raise my self-esteem by voting for myself, so BKC.
  17. dcae

dcae naughty list

Lohgock that Lucario looks interesting.
  18. HUARGH

HUARGH

Sadly there seems to be no love for Mamo :(

Vote HUARGH anyway
  19. D4RR3N

D4RR3N

20. ModestGarchomp

ModestGarchomp

21. JimBob

JimBob

I'm not good at DPP, but JackieChun and HUARGH's ideas both look good to me. It's a tough choice, but...

JackieChun
  22. sandshrewz

sandshrewz

JackieChun

counting now~
  23. sandshrewz

sandshrewz

Step 3: Teammates

BKC 8
    HUARGH 3
    JackieChun 5
    Lohgock 3

booohooo no love for Lanturn :( haha. Moving on!

[​IMG]
    Raikou @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 48 HP / 56 Def / 184 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute / Rest
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

playstyle: bulky offense / semi-stall

Nominate a teammate or a core of up to 3 maximum. This will last ~48 hours. :)

For clarifcation, there's a lot of slashes here, feel free to assume whichever slash you want to use for your submission. Also, remember to indicate the lead if there's a dedicated lead. And yea in future, you can vote for yourself~ Thanks! :) gogo~
  24. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

ok, the following stand in the way of a raikou sweep -

- ttar
    - scarf flygon
    - blissey
    - swampert
    - hippowdon
    - heatran (the sdef sets are hard counters but any set can be an annoyance)
    - scizor (kind of)

so! toxic spikes wear away at ttar/bliss/pert/hippo and are extremely effective in general. therefore i'm nominating Roserade.

[​IMG]
    Roserade (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 32 HP / 248 SAtk / 228 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

rose functions much better mid-game than as a lead. with hp ground, heatran is taken care of, leaving only scizor and scarf gon, two incredibly easy mons to counter, unchecked thus far. a bulky spread is a viable alternative but you'd be surprised at how threatening a fast, powerful roserade is. rose also absorbs opposing tspikes that would ruin raikou's day.
  25. HUARGH

HUARGH

I quite like Roserade, don't forget that Raikou without rest is also weak to Toxic Spikes. (and I strongly prefer a sub/cm Raikou, I don't think I have ever found rest Raikou or resttalk Raikou to be useful, feels like Suicune is more suited for that) Roserade can remove them, while at the same time having the ability to lay down toxic spikes herself and threatening some of Raikou's counters (Swampert, TTar, ...,) with strong grass STAB. It also has sleep powder at her disposal. Still, there are some problems.

1. Roserade is frail as fuck to physical attacks, sporting a very small def and hp stat. Sub/CM Raikou is obviously going to be threatened out by physical attacks (or well, usually). The most common one is definitely going to be earthquake, which Roserade does not resist due to her grass/poison typing and thus cannot switch into. I feel that a partner for Raikou should be one that can switch into at least earthquake without too much of a problem.

Raikou resists steel and flying due to his electric typing (which are somewhat rare compared to ground/rock/fighting attacks anyway), so if the switch-in is weak to these types it is less of a problem. A grass type gets the nod, being resistant to earthquake and threatening both ground and rock with super-effective STAB as well as scaring Swampert shitless. This would also allow Raikou to comfortably run HP Ice for better coverage.

The obvious choices here are Celebi and/or Shaymin, both sporting enough offensive power and bulk to take earthquakes and even the occasional stone edge, both having access to reliable recovery methods (recover for Celebi, rest + natural cure for Shaymin). Speaking of natural cure, they both have it, meaning that they wouldn't mind switching into Blissey (who usually carries status) either who is commonly sent out to wall and s-toss Raikou to death. However, none can really hurt Blissey, the exception being physical Celebi or a braindead Blissey who lets Celebi CM up. I think we can all agree that physical Celebi sucks and also loses strong STAB against ground and rock types, which is still important due to Raikou being weak to EQ.

Despite these two obvious contestants, I would like to nominate Tangrowth. While it may seem like a somewhat odd suggestion, Tangrowth boasts a titanic def/hp stat and most importantly access to knock off and sleep powder. Another bonus is that it is a physical threat whereas Raikou is a special threat, meaning that high sp.def low def pokemons who switched into Raikou will be hit harder. It is very likely able to switch in on any attack that would normally force Raikou out. It can then proceed to use knock off or sleep powder, while still threatening a 120 power STAB power whip off a respectable attack stat. As a bonus, knock off and sleep powder polarizes the enemy's switching pattern, as they generally want to switch the already itemless pokemon into a predicted knock-off, or the sleeping pokemon in an attempt to get free sleep turns. This allows for intelligent double switching. As our playstyle is apparently bulky offense, we have a great pokemon in Tangrowth with knock off and sleep powder. We can use another pokemon to set up/remove toxic spikes and perhaps a cleric somewhere as well.

[​IMG]
    Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    252 hp / 252 def / 4 atk
    ~ Power Whip
    ~ Knock Off
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Filler, i.e. Earthquake / Rest / Stun Spore / Leech Seed / Reflect / Toxic

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)