Roobushin (Skeleton)

Support Jirachi is a great partner for Roopushin. It's 4x resistant to Psychic and resists the odd flying move as well. Jirachi can help Roopushin a ton by using Light Screen, Wish and Doom Desire. I can't tell you how much Roopushin loves Light Screen and Wish can get Roopushin back to full since you had to switch. Finally, Doom Desire is very strong now and makes the opponent have to choose carefully what pokemon has to take the hit and it ultimately gives you more turns to boost.

As for the Subpunch set, I'd highly consider Iron Fist. Substitute will be protecting you from status already and Iron Fist boosts Focus Punch to 180 before STAB! That's just sick.

I don't support the 252 HP/252 At spread because you simply are too weak to special attacks and it really hurts your survivability. I could justify it on a Sub or TR set, but not for Bulk Up.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Just a small suggestion, you might wanna mention that Drain Punch will heal Roobushin more when you run less HP EVs.

Is it the actual amount of HP that's different? Or is it that with less HP a greater percentage of his HP is recovered? If it's the latter than there is no benefit from less HP.

Support Jirachi is a great partner for Roopushin. It's 4x resistant to Psychic and resists the odd flying move as well. Jirachi can help Roopushin a ton by using Light Screen, Wish and Doom Desire. I can't tell you how much Roopushin loves Light Screen and Wish can get Roopushin back to full since you had to switch. Finally, Doom Desire is very strong now and makes the opponent have to choose carefully what pokemon has to take the hit and it ultimately gives you more turns to boost.

As for the Subpunch set, I'd highly consider Iron Fist. Substitute will be protecting you from status already and Iron Fist boosts Focus Punch to 180 before STAB! That's just sick.

I don't support the 252 HP/252 At spread because you simply are too weak to special attacks and it really hurts your survivability. I could justify it on a Sub or TR set, but not for Bulk Up.
You can still survive a Psychic from max SpA Shandera with scarf

Is it the actual amount of HP that's different? Or is it that with less HP a greater percentage of his HP is recovered? If it's the latter than there is no benefit from less HP.
I think it recovers a percent of the HP that your opponent lost

What about Draco Meteor's and Shandera Overheat? Ah, so you only recover a larger percentage of your HP because you have less of it. There's no benefit to having less HP then.

The sole benefit is that you need to use less EVs, which in turn can be spent on defences, making one Hp count for more. I.E Shuckle recovers 100 hp vs. Wailord recovers 100 hp.

What about Draco Meteor's and Shandera Overheat? Ah, so you only recover a larger percentage of your HP because you have less of it. There's no benefit to having less HP then.
As Epitome said, the EVs that would be in HP are now in defenses which causes you to take less damage(number and percentage).
Example: At 252HP/252Atk/4Spe ScarfTran does 310-366(74.9-88.4%) with Fire Blast While 252SpDef instead of HP makes you take 225-265(64.1-75.5%). Assuming you use Drain Punch immediately after, Roobushin will regain an amount of HP based on damage dealt. In the specially defensive set that HP is harder to lose since attacks on that set do less damage(assuming more special attacks for this example). In the HP based set you gained just as much HP but you also take more damage from future attacks as you lack the defense investment.

Payback is a rather poor option as the ghosts just can't touch Roobushin. At best most of them are going to make you stronger and chip away at your life with weak hits. Stone Edge will takes most ghosts out at +1 in 2 or 3 hits. Meanwhile you can get Gyarados, Zapdos, Salamence, and Dragonite. Prime counters for Roobushin. Payback doesn't work on what you really have to worry about, Psychics. Slowbro and Rankurusu are the only Psychics stopping Roobushin and both of them are Slower so Payback does nothing.

On Substitute (without Focus Punch) set, Drain Punch is significantly better than Hammer Arm. It lets you heal from your Sub-making. I used both, and Drain Punch turned out better as even if they switch in a Fighting resist, you can switch out and switch back in later without too much trouble since you recovered more of your HP.

I thought of this cool set.

name: life orb
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Hammer Arm
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Payback / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Encourage
nature: Brave / Adamant
evs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

I think that this can rip through teams without any set up. i used the same ev set as with the Bulk up set to ensure survivability and power. this set is really good in Trick room teams. I don't have black and white yet, but i believe this can be a good set. Anyone want to try it out for me?

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
QC APPROVED 1/2

I've never seen any SubPunch sets used, but Roobushin is pretty much a lock in OU this generation.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Roobushin's a real man.

Everything here looks good, CM. I see Roobushin everywhere and it's definitely a top-tier threat this generation (an insanely annoying and powerful one if I might add). My only suggestion is to make a mention of Fling + Toxic Orb + Acrobat Gliscor, who has become increasingly common nowadays, and gives Roobushin trouble as well.

QC APPROVED (2/2)

I thought of this cool set.

name: life orb
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Hammer Arm
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Payback / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Encourage
nature: Brave / Adamant
evs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

I think that this can rip through teams without any set up. i used the same ev set as with the Bulk up set to ensure survivability and power. this set is really good in Trick room teams. I don't have black and white yet, but i believe this can be a good set. Anyone want to try it out for me?
None of those moves receive boosts from Encourage. As a result, you only get the Life Orb boost and also the recoil. You might as well just run Burn Orb and Guts.

I've found the perfect partner for Ropooshin in doubles. It's Shanderaa. He's also pretty bulky and strong too. They both have a healing move,Pain Split and Drain Punch. Those 2 fit everywhere,even in a Sunny Day team. But even better is a TR team. Ropooshin can use Wide Guard to stop taunt leads,which means that TR certainly will be set up. Shanderaa has Shadow Ball and enormous sp.att to kill all psychic types. Flying can be covered by Stone Edge and you have a pokémon with zero uncovered weaknesses and don't forget 140 base att.

I hope you can use this advice in your analysis.

None of those moves receive boosts from Encourage. As a result, you only get the Life Orb boost and also the recoil. You might as well just run Burn Orb and Guts.
Really? i thought that even though encourage does not stop priority or stat drops they still get boosted by it? if they do not that really sucks...

Encourage moves are only those that have a secondary effect on the opponent with a percentage chance of happening. Moves like Rock Slide (30% flinch), Thunderbolt (10% Paralysis), Fire Punch (10% Burn) etc.

Encourage moves are only those that have a secondary effect on the opponent with a percentage chance of happening. Moves like Rock Slide (30% flinch), Thunderbolt (10% Paralysis), Fire Punch (10% Burn) etc.
ouch i guess encourage is bad on rooposhin...

I'm going to note that Bulk Up+Dry Skin Toxicroak is pretty much a hard counter to Roobushin, and should be mentioned. It can take hits well, set up on Roob, and then slowly erode away even the bulkiest Roobushin with Drain Punch; its Poison typing means Roob can't do the same.

Have you thought about taking advantage of the new ability Sheer Force(Moves w/ secondary effect increase by 33% but get rid of the effect).

Can we use the getting rid of secondary effect to our advantage?

Maybe use SUPERPOWER 120BP becomes 160 BP before STAB and then there is no stat Lowering

or FOCUS PUNCH becomes 200 BP and then even if he gets hit the attack works

then again i haven't experimented with this plz tell me if this would work

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Have you thought about taking advantage of the new ability Sheer Force(Moves w/ secondary effect increase by 33% but get rid of the effect).

Can we use the getting rid of secondary effect to our advantage?

Maybe use SUPERPOWER 120BP becomes 160 BP before STAB and then there is no stat Lowering

or FOCUS PUNCH becomes 200 BP and then even if he gets hit the attack works

then again i haven't experimented with this plz tell me if this would work
Nope, Sheer Force doesn't work like that. Read this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79195

I've found the perfect partner for Ropooshin in doubles. It's Shanderaa. He's also pretty bulky and strong too. They both have a healing move,Pain Split and Drain Punch. Those 2 fit everywhere,even in a Sunny Day team. But even better is a TR team. Ropooshin can use Wide Guard to stop taunt leads,which means that TR certainly will be set up. Shanderaa has Shadow Ball and enormous sp.att to kill all psychic types. Flying can be covered by Stone Edge and you have a pokémon with zero uncovered weaknesses and don't forget 140 base att.

I hope you can use this advice in your analysis.
Nope, this is for singles. Please refrain from giving suggestions regarding a Pokemon's use in doubles or triples hence.

Minor nitpick, but I think you forgot to take out [Optional Changes], [Team Options] and [Counters] from the Spoiler tag.

...Stone Edge helps keep switch-ins such as Zapdos and Salamence out of the picture.</p>
You cannot prevent a switch-in out of the picture(which is what the original sentence), you can only keep it out of the picture.

Solid analysis otherwise C_M. Good luck.

I'm going to note that Bulk Up+Dry Skin Toxicroak is pretty much a hard counter to Roobushin, and should be mentioned. It can take hits well, set up on Roob, and then slowly erode away even the bulkiest Roobushin with Drain Punch; its Poison typing means Roob can't do the same.
It's actually situational. In Bulk Up wars the winner is whoever has the most boosts first. Roopushin's attack and defense are much higher than Toxicroak's so they get boost a lot more every time you use it. Even with the resistence Roopushin can out muscle you if it get's to +6 before you do.

Roopushin's hardest counters are Rankurusu and Acrofling Gliscor. Rankurusu OHKOs with STAB Psychic and even if it doesn't because it's slower you don't hit with a full powered Payback. Although you have to fling the orb, Roopushin goes down very quickly to Acrobat even after a +1. Not having to Roost Gliscor keeps it's fighting resistance and also doesn't mind Stone Edge or Payback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)