Roserade (Weather Support)

The EVs should be more defensive oriented, since this is a support and not a sweeper set:

Calm
EVs: 252 HP/40 SpA/216 SpD

This spread takes 43.2% - 51.9% from ScarfTran's Fire Blast in the rain, and 40 SpA EVs guarantee the OHKO on Naive 0/4 Heatran with weather ball after it has switched into SR.

Infernape (without Flare Blitz) has no chance of beating you either, as Roserade takes 48.1% - 57.4% from 64 SpA LO Overheat and 68.5% - 81.5% from Jolly LO Fire Punch.
great work i have a Def spread in AC (same as def seeder set) the only problem with this set is Roserade needs the 112 Spe to outspeed Tyranitar ill add this set to the AC also though

If this gets more approvals I would be willing to help write it. I know that I don't have so many posts but I have been playing competitively for a long time, and am a proficient writer

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
great work i have a Def spread in AC (same as def seeder set) the only problem with this set is Roserade needs the 112 Spe to outspeed Tyranitar ill add this set to the AC also though
Why would you need to outrun Tyranitar? Other than Dragon Dance, no other commonly used sets run max speed (other than Choice Scarf, who outruns you anyway). It's understandable to use 36 Speed on Celebi because it might as well (doesn't survive anything specific with Max/Max), and the investment is very little compared to 112, which undermines Roserade's bulk.

Why would you need to outrun Tyranitar? Other than Dragon Dance, no other commonly used sets run max speed (other than Choice Scarf, who outruns you anyway). It's understandable to use 36 Speed on Celebi because it might as well (doesn't survive anything specific with Max/Max), and the investment is very little compared to 112, which undermines Roserade's bulk.
Tyranitar can screw weather up for you, weather is the whole reason for this set. Being able to hit ttar hard before it can kill you is very important.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For some clean EV consistency, perhaps enough Speed EVs can be generated to a margin containing base 70's and lower. I'm especially referring to Breloom, who can stall out weather turns relatively easily, so Roserade can take care of it with Sludge Bomb or Weather Ball.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The OP looks good, but I'd like to see the fourth moveslot be Rest / Synthesis, with Sleep Powder and Toxic Spikes mentioned in AC. So it should look like this:

[SET]
name: Weather Support
move1: Rain Dance / Sunny Day
move2: Leaf Storm / Grass Knot
move3: Sludge Bomb / Weather Ball
move4: Rest / Synthesis
item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Notice that ability goes next to item, not at the end ;) As soon as these changes are made (remember to implement them in the OP, not in isolated posts), I'll approve this set.

Got It Ill make the changes ASAP, Should I move the OP to the top of the Thread?

The OP looks good, but I'd like to see the fourth moveslot be Rest / Synthesis, with Sleep Powder and Toxic Spikes mentioned in AC. So it should look like this:

[SET]
name: Weather Support
move1: Rain Dance / Sunny Day
move2: Leaf Storm / Grass Knot
move3: Sludge Bomb / Weather Ball
move4: Rest / Synthesis
item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Notice that ability goes next to item, not at the end ;) As soon as these changes are made (remember to implement them in the OP, not in isolated posts), I'll approve this set.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, you have to update the OP with the last changes. As soon as you do this, I'll approve the set ;)

EDIT - nevermind, I'm doing it for you.

Done.

Or

Approved (2/3)

This set seems pretty decent. I'm mostly concerned that you admitted your grammar is poor, though, and you have a few spelling errors and mistakes in this outline. Would you be willing to allow a more experienced writer work with you and write the actual analysis if we approve this set?
i could do that. i have no record of my grammar anywhere on this forum, but i could still do it.

Think i need one more approval before the next step, Nightmare Jigglypuff if you want to help with a grammar check that would be awesome

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Gotta say I completely disagree with Setsuna. Weather teams are primarily offensive...how often are you going to synthesis/rest? Seems like sleep powder would be a much better option in the last slot to me. How often do you really expect this set up rain anyway? Once, twice if you're lucky. Getting a free sleep is way better than having recovery.......

isn't it?

[SET]
Name: Weather Support
Move 1: Rain Dance / Sunny Day
Move 2: Leaf Storm / Grass Knot
Move 3: Sludge Bomb / Weather Ball
Move 4: Rest / Synthesis
Item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4HP / 252 Spe
<p> Roserade has all the tools needed to make a great weather supporter. Access to both Rain Dance and Sunny Day, and its typing allows it to fit on both types of teams. Roserade’s high SpA, STAB'S, and large amount of support moves means it won’t become dead weight after setting up weather. Being part poison type means Roserade can soak up Toxic Spikes that plague its teammates just by switching in. Roserade's ability; Natural Cure allows him to act as a status absorber so his teammates won't be slowed down while attempting a sweep.</p>
<p>Weather teams are fast paced and appreciate a Pokémon like Roserade who can set up weather effectively. With a Damp Rock / Heat Rock Roserade can set up Rain Dance or Sunny Day for 8 turns. Leaf Storm is going to hurt anything that doesn’t resist it and even some frail Pokémon who do resist it. Roserade’s STAB Sludge Bomb allows it to hit grass–type Pokemon who can stall rain turns like Shaymin and Celebi. Roserade also has access to Weather Ball which becomes a base 150 power, water-type or fire-type attack in Rain or Sun respectively. Rest allows Roserade to instantly recover off damage and be cured of status, sleep will also be cured when Roserade is switched out thanks to its ability; natural cure. Synthesis can be used in the sun to heal up to 2/3 of Roserade’s HP without the added effect of sleep. Sleep Powder hinders Roserade's counters and gives his fellow teammates time to set up.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> Hidden Power ground can be used to hit grounded fire and steel types. Hidden Power water and fire both get a boost in their respected weather and you won’t have to worry about needing weather in order to use them, however they will be weaker than weather ball. Roserade also has access to Aromatherapy to cure his teammate’s status. There are quite a few toys in Roserade’s support move pool that can be used to help weather sweepers such as spikes and toxic spikes teams. however these types of attacks are largely outclassed by the stated options.
<p> A Modest nature can be used to allow Roserade to hit harder but in such a fast paced metagame you may want to stick to a timid nature. It should be mentioned this Roserade is not meant to sweep, it is a weather supporter, nothing else. A Calm nature with an EV spread of 236 HP / 160 SpD / 112 Spe can be used to make the most of Roserade’s good SpD, 112 Spe is used to outspeed Tyranitar. This spread is the same as the Leech seed set; it allows Roserade to take resisted Special based attacks effectively and even survive some fire attacks in the rain. If your not worried about Tyranitar an EV spread of 252 HP/40 SpA/216 SpD with a calm nature can be used to survive Special based attacks from both Infernape and Heatran in the rain, 40 SpA is used to always OHKO 4hp/0SpD Heatran and standard Infernape with Weather Ball in the rain.</p>
<p>This Roserade should be used on a dedicated Rain Dance / Sunny Day team. Roserade should be paired with Pokémon that benefit from weather. Rain Dance sweepers like Kingdra can abuse rain and isn't fazed by fire types and steel's except for Empoleon who is able set up on Kingdra. Ludicolo, Kabutops, and Omastar are other great swift swimmers that can abuse the rain. Infernape and Heatran’s typing pair well with Roserade’s and they both appreciate the boost their STAB Fire-type attacks get in the sun. Tangrowth can abuse the sun with chlorophyll and take physical attacks aimed at Roserade effectively. Other Chlorophyll sweepers will love the boost they gain from the sun. Roserade shouldn’t be the only weather starter on your team or else the team will fall flat on its face when roserade is taken out. 2-3 other weather starters should be considered in conjunction with roserade.</p>
[COUNTERS]
<p>It should be noted that Blissey walls Roserade unless Toxic Spikes is down. Tyranitar and Hipowdon can stop weather and activate sandstorm just by switching in, but fear a STAB Leaf Storm coming toward them coming off Roserade's base 125 SpA. Opposing Heatran can take advantage of sun started by Roserade and can't be hurt back unless HP Ground is being used.</p>

There, once i get into nitpick mode, there's no stopping me. small little touch-ups, here and there. you did a good job with your editing. if there is something i overlooked, let me know.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey nightmare jigglypuff at least bold your changes so the writer can know where he went wrong

EDIT: also screwing around with the spacing isnt helpful

I love this set.

I hope this gets one more approval. Because Roserade is more than just a lead/support that lays down Toxic Spikes. I've used her as LO and Choice scarf This article proves her versatility in the metagame and makes great use of her weather ball.

Gotta say I completely disagree with Setsuna. Weather teams are primarily offensive...how often are you going to synthesis/rest? Seems like sleep powder would be a much better option in the last slot to me. How often do you really expect this set up rain anyway? Once, twice if you're lucky. Getting a free sleep is way better than having recovery.......

isn't it?
I don't know about any of you guys. But I always have Rest on mine, because unless it's a calm nature with a defensive spread, it's still pretty frail and will only last 1 or two hits. So a recovery usually helps me, so it can stay in the game for a bit longer.

I think you should try Hidden Power fighting/ground for most Steels. You already have the weather ball for fire types.

If this Roserade that the OP featured is not meant for sweeping, then try going for Calm nature and instead of Timid. It's still fast without the Speed nature anyway. This EV spread, mentioned by Super Mario Bros isn't that bad at all.

Calm
EVs: 252 HP/40 SpA/216 SpD

panamaxis

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

isn't it?
I kinda want Setsuna to post why he thinks recovery is better than sleep on this set before I stamp it. Sleep also get's you the 'free switch' to your weather abusers that rain/sun teams love so that's another tick in my book.

I agree with Pana on this one. Recovery is nice but Sleep Powder offers you the chance to obtain a free setup and incapacitate a Pokemon. However, I do think that Rest should get slashed with Sleep Powder.

Um.. Do you think you should squeeze in Hidden Power Ice so it's a Grass type check? It does wall Grass Type moves completely, so why not take advantage of that and use HP Ice to counter, if you don't use weather ball?

I'm sorry to intrude, but I thought I'd add that in.

Um.. Do you think you should squeeze in Hidden Power Ice so it's a Grass type check? It does wall Grass Type moves completely, so why not take advantage of that and use HP Ice to counter, if you don't use weather ball?

I'm sorry to intrude, but I thought I'd add that in.
Weather Ball is boosted by the weather if I'm not mistaken. Also what coverage does STAB Grass-type get with HP Ice. There are only 2 common Grass-types in OU, Shaymin and Roserade and you will be hitting Flygon and Dragonite for 4x super effective..although they'd usually finish you of before you can attempt to. Weather Ball in Sun has excellent coverage with Leaf Storm, being able to severly dent Steel- and Bug-types which are common. In Rain Fire-type moves will do significantly less meaning you could live an unboosted Fire attack and hit back say..on scarf Infernape or Heatran.

@OP: I fail to understand why Sludge Bomb is the primary slash for the Roserade's 3rd moveslot, I strongly suggest to prioritize Weather Ball. Sludge Bomb could do with a mention in OC. The benefits of using Weather Ball outweigh Sludge bomb.

panamaxis

Weather ball as the main option sounds fine to me. On the proviso that Sleep Powder gets the main slash in the 4th slot (I'd probably drop recovery completely from the slash and give it a mention in AC), you have my stamp.

Approved (3/3)

Setsuna

Prototype
As agreed at first, someone else is going to write this set. I've appointed user SOMALIA to do this; he'll update the OP with the write up soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)