move 1: Thunderbolt / Discharge
move 2: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting
move 3: Overheat
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Reflect
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is Rotom-H's standard defensive set and allows it to act as arguably the best Rapid Spin blocker available in Standard play. Its unique typing gives it a plethora of resistances and immunities and when coupled with good defensive stats and access to Reflect and Will-O-Wisp it can be incredibly difficult to take down.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt or Discharge are your primary STAB options, the former more powerful while the latter has a higher paralysis rate. Shadow Ball can be used for secondary STAB and the occasional Special Defense drop can come in handy. Hidden Power Fighting is also a decent option, if only for Tyranitar and Weavile, but should be considered the lesser of the two move choices. If you opt for Discharge in the first slot, Hidden Power Fighting will also be your best option against Heatran. Overheat is Rotom-H's exclusive move amongst the Rotom formes and pairs excellently with its other moves and defensive typing. Rotom-H's typing makes it an excellent switch-in to the likes of Lucario, Scizor, and Metagross; all of whom take substantial damage from Overheat, the latter two being OHKOed unless they are EVed abnormally defensively. Finally, Reflect or Will-O-Wisp aid in Rotom-H's physical walling abilities. Will-O-Wisp is particular useful as a means for crippling overzealous Tyranitar's ready to Pursuit you.</p>

<p>The EVs are focused on Rotom-H's overall durability by investing fully in HP. 88 Speed EVs allow Rotom-H to outrun maximum Speed Adamant Scizor and the remaining EVs were delegated to Defense. Some investment in Special Defense may not be a bad idea to better handle Starmie's and Tentacruel's Surfs when you switch in expecting Rapid Spin.</p>

[SET]
name: Boosting Sweeper
move 1: Charge Beam
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Thunderbolt
nature: Timid
evs: 64 HP / 232 SpA / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A set available to all of the Rotom-formes, although it is one of the lesser used options. Charge Beam allows Rotom-H to attack while having a large chance to boost its already high Special Attack. When combined with Substitute, Rotom-H is even more capable of setting up on Blissey, a Pokemon that would normally wall a special attacking Rotom-H set. Seismic Toss has no effect on Rotom-H and Flamethrower / Ice Beam do not break Rotom-H's Substitutes due to the slight HP investment. Substitute also allows Rotom to block any Thunder Wave or Toxic that Blissey might launch at it. Shadow Ball is Rotom-H's main form of attack once it has received boosts from Charge Beam, capable of 3HKOing even 252 HP / 96 SpD Sassy Bronzong after a single boost. Hidden Power Fighting allows Rotom-H to take on incoming Tyranitar hoping to munch down on the wily ghost. After six boosts, Rotom-H is capable of 2HKOing even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey (the bulkiest Blissey that Rotom will likely encounter) with either Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is also Rotom-H's best form of attack against Scizor.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, 64 HP EVs allow Rotom-H's Substitutes to withstand any attack that Blissey is likely to use, as well as allowing Rotom to form three Substitutes in sand and five in normal weather. A Timid Nature and 212 EVs allows Rotom-H to outspeed neutral-natured Mamoswine and Lucario. Using 212 Speed EVs also allows Rotom to reach a bonus point. 236 Special Attack EVs allow Rotom-H to almost always 2HKO even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey with Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt after six boosts. Rotom also has a 38% chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Tyranitar in Sandstorm after a single boost with Hidden Power Fighting, a definite 2HKO if Tyranitar switches into Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Discharge / Shadow Ball
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fighting
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>One set that nearly every Rotom-appliance can run, a basic Rest-Talk set. Rotom-H is naturally bulky and its unique typing make it an excellent defensive Pokemon, but the lack of ability to recover HP can hinder it's survivability. This is where Rest-Talk comes into play to aid in accomplishing that.</p>

<p>Discharge is the primary Electric STAB option and while it is a weaker Thunderbolt the 30% paralysis rate it carries can be extremely useful. Shadow Ball is also a decent option to consider for your STAB move but Discharge is often the superior choice. Will-O-Wisp can aid in crippling physical sweepers and so should be considered in the final slot. A Hidden Power is also a decent option in Will-O-Wisps stead. Hidden Power Ice is to be used with Discharge for a pseudo-BoltBeam whereas Hidden Power Fighting is for use with Shadow Ball, which hits everything in the game for at least neutral damage.</p>

<p>The EVs give Rotom-H roughly equal defenses with a slight emphasis in Defense.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Ground / Shadow Ball
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-H's respectable base 105 Special Attack and decent base 86 Speed along with a good move pool makes it an excellent user of a Choice item. Thunderbolt and Overheat are standard fare and when used with a Choice Scarf allow Rotom-H to revenge kill dangerous sweepers such as Dragon Dance Gyarados or Swords Dance Lucario. Hidden Power Ground is largely a filler option but it is your best response against Heatran who may be tempted to switch in expecting an Overheat, although it will very rarely OHKO unless you opt for Choice Specs. Shadow Ball is also usable as another STAB move and helps against Cresselia. Finally, Trick is used to hinder Special Walls such as Snorlax or Blissey who would otherwise switch in with impunity. Hidden Power Fighting can also be used over Hidden Power Ground since this set barely even dents Tyranitar; however, even with Choice Specs it never OHKOes.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Confuse Ray can be used alongside Thunder Wave or Discharge; however, Rotom-S is usually the better choice for the role as an annoyer due to its access to Air Slash. Rotom-H also has access to Dual Screens; but Rotom-W and Rotom-C are usually the better choices for that role since they have the ability to actually beat Tyranitar with a Reflect in play due to their signature moves.</p>

[EVs]
<p>If you are using Rotom-H offensively, a simple 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread with an Modest or Timid nature will suffice in almost all cases. Defensively speaking, Rotom-H can be EVed to function in many different roles. Always maximize defensive Rotom-H's rather disappointing base 50 HP and delegate the remaining EVs between Defense and Special Defense. Rotom-H tends to function well with roughly equal defensive stats with a slight emphasis on Defense. Investing 88 Speed EVs on defensive sets is also a good choice since Rotom-H will then be able to outrun Adamant Tyranitar and Scizor.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Rotom-H might not look like much; but due to its auspicious typing, move pool, and stats it can function as either an excellent check to some of OU's top threats or even act as one of them itself. Being one of the best Rapid Spin blockers in the standard metagame also makes him an excellent choice for stall teams.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Offensive versions of Rotom-H can be taken on by Blissey with her massive Special Defense and HP; she must be weary of Trick however. Curse Snorlax with access to Rest to shrug off status can also use any Rotom-H without Trick as set-up fodder. Tyranitar is another excellent switch-in, having the ability to shrug off just about any of Rotom-H's attacks and kill it off with Pursuit or Crunch. Tyranitar must be careful not to be burnt by Will-O-Wisp, which cuts its Attack in half. Choice Specs Tyranitar is arguably the best switch-in since he not only takes minimal damage from almost any of Rotom-H's attacks, but also doesn't mind Will-O-Wisp or Trick. While Weavile cannot directly switch-in, once in it can cause major problems for Rotom-H.<p>

<p>Lanturn can absorb most of Rotom-H's attacks if it lacks Hidden Power Ground. Speaking of Hidden Power Ground, if you lack Hidden Power Ground on Rotom-H, Heatran will be an excellent counter particularly if it switches into an Overheat and nets itself a Flash Fire boost. Swampert does well at handling Rotom-H, in particular Rest-Talk varieties. Spiritomb can also handle Rotom-H pretty well and bring it down with STAB Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse. Raikou can use the ever-dreaded Substitute and Calm Mind combination to set up on Rotom-H as well as blocking status or Trick.</p>

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Needs Special Sweeper set and perhaps a Sunny Day set possible in here? Also thinking you need the usual "Choice + 3 attack" sets and such. Looking good so far.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'm finishing it up right now, and I'll be testing a Sunny Day set since I don't know if it will work or not, and yeah Choice 2 attacks will be on here

Yeah I'm not the best, but I tried to word this as good as I could! I'll keep updating

[SET]
name: Standard
move 4: Reflect / Will-O-Wisp
ability: Levitate
evs: 252 HP / 88 Spe / 164 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Thunder Wave / Discharge
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 3: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting / Overheat
move 4: Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-H is a very bulky Pokemon, which makes it a great user of status moves. Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave is a combination that can cripple multiple Pokemon of the OU environment, which makes it unsafe to switch into. Discharge can be used instead of Thunder Wave if needed; it provides with a Electric move and has a chance of 30% of paralyzing, handy for Heatran that try to predict a Will-O-Wisp. Toxic can be used for general switch-ins <deleted due to repetition>, such as Zapdos and Blissey. If you choose to use Discharge, Overheat can be a good option to keep Scizor and Lucario in check, while Hidden Power Fighting can help you with those annoying Heatran that can be a big problem for this Rotom in particular. Rotom-H outspeeds Adamant Max Speed Tyranitar and Scizor with the given EVs, which will make it a faster user of Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Screen
move 2: Overheat / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Reflect
item: Light Clay

<p>Being able to learn both Reflect and Light Screen makes him a very handy Pokémon, especially because of his bulk. There isn't much to this set: just set up your screens and go ahead with the plan you have in mind, either being a Baton Pass chain or a set up. If you feel the need for another attacking move or support move, you can remove either screen. One handy combination is Will-O-Wish and Light Screen, which work excellently in tandem.</p>
i always think rotom-h is hydro pump rotom and i was going to be like 'use hydro pump to wash dishes' =(

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
updated, keep up the good work shiki

also i know that the standard set has a lot of problems with the wording in general, somebody can help me out with it, it would be great

This is the standard set for Rotom-H, which can also be called one of the best Anti-Rapid Spinners and generally physically bulky pokemon in the game.
too superlativey. I'd reword to "easily the best rapid spin blocker in the metagame" since the second point is really open for discussion (also i disagree e__E)
You have the option of using Thunderbolt, which is stronger than Discharge, but you also have the option of Discharge, which is a little bit lower in terms of power but has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent, which Discharge will help a lot with the Heatrans switch-ins into this Rotom in particular.
too drawn out. "Choosing between THunderbolt and Discharge is of course a matter of personal preference for paralysis chance or power. It should be noted that discharge can help cripple Heatran, who is often lured out by Rotom-H."

one of the best Anti-Rapid Spinners and generally physically bulky pokemon in the game
calling it "one of the best generally physically bulky pokemon in the game" is a bit of an overstatement. Remember, thanks to Rotom's piss poor HP, it shares the same physical defense tier as pokemon like Darkrai and Raikou.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stellar's Set.

I feel this should be added in at least all but the Frost Rotom's analysis. Once I get Stellar's permission to add it onto my set I'd recommend it to be added here as well.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a random question, but are we going to have separate analyses for each Rotom form, or just an appliance Rotom analysis with separate sections for all the forms? I'm asking because many of the sets do not need to use the signature move and can therefore be run by any of the 5.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
~ Trick
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power Ground
~ Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball
@ Choice Scarf

is a pretty awesome set. Toaster Rotom is Heatran bait, you can fix that and score a knockout by using HP Ground, then Trick that scarf onto Blissey, Swampert or something later on.

The reason why this set would be effective on the Toaster and not the others is because this is the only one that just screams "Heatran, come get your Flash Fire boost!"

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I updated with Stellar's set and will probably be updating the last set "Special Sweeper" tomorrow and the Options section and etc

Yeah I'm not the best, but I tried to word this as good as I could! I'll keep updating

[SET]
name: Standard
move 4: Reflect / Will-O-Wisp

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the standard set for Rotom-H, easily the best Rapid Spin blocker in the metagame. Choosing between Thunderbolt and Discharge is of course a matter of personal preference for the higher paralysis chance or power. It should be noted that Discharge can help cripple Heatran, who is often lured out by Rotom-H.<random "> Shadow Ball provides a decent attack on Rotom, which can probably do much more damage to a Starmie that will try to come in and blow away your set-up Spikes or Stealth Rock; you can use Hidden Power Fighting if you want to be able to handle Heatran better, but it won't be as helpful as Shadow Ball will. Overheat should be a keeper on the set, to provide you with physical coverage against like Lucario and Scizor: hitting them with Overheat will OHKO every single time. Will-O-Wisp is a great move on Rotom-H: there is nothing better than spreading random burns in your opponent's team Reflect works on Rotom-H as well, for helping the whole team against physical hits that can be troublesome. The given Speed EVs are meant to outspeed Adamant max Speed Scizor and Tyranitar, for faster Will-O-Wisps against these and other threats.</p>

[SET]
name: Boosting Sweeper
move 1: Charge Beam
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Thunderbolt
nature: Timid
evs: 64 HP / 232 SpA / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although one of the lesser used options, Charge Beam allows Appliance Rotom to attack while having a large chance to boost its already high Special Attack. When combined with Substitute, Appliance Rotom is even more capable of setting up on Blissey, a Pokemon that would normally wall a special attacking Appliance Rotom set. Seismic Toss has no effect on Appliance Rotom and Flamethrower / Ice Beam do not break Appliance Rotom's Substitutes due to the slight HP investment. Substitute also allows Rotom to block any Thunder Wave or Toxic that Blissey might launch at it. Shadow Ball is Appliance Rotom's main form of attack once it has received boosts from Charge Beam, capable of 3HKOing even 252 HP / 96 SpD Sassy Bronzong after a single boost. Hidden Power Fighting allows Appliance Rotom to take on incoming Tyranitar hoping to munch down on the wily ghost. After six boosts, Appliance Rotom is capable of 2HKOing even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey (the bulkiest Blissey that Rotom will likely encounter) with either Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is also Appliance Rotom's best form of attack against Scizor.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, 64 HP EVs allow Appliance Rotom's Substitutes to withstand any attack that Blissey is likely to use, as well as allowing Rotom to form three Substitutes in sand and five in normal weather. A Timid Nature and 212 EVs allows Appliance Rotom to outspeed neutral-natured Mamoswine and Lucario. Using 212 Speed EVs also allows Rotom to reach a bonus point. 236 Special Attack EVs allow Appliance Rotom to almost always 2HKO even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey with Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt after six boosts. Rotom also has a 38% chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Tyranitar in Sandstorm after a single boost with Hidden Power Fighting, a definite 2HKO if Tyranitar switches into Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice, 3 Attacks
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Ground / Shadow Ball
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-H's ability to use Trick and abuse either item is helpful on the set. The option of Thunderbolt can be used to revenge kill Gyarados that has a Dragon Dance set up and Skymin, which the given EVs allow for Rotom to outspeed said Pokemon with the use of a Choice Scarf. For this Rotom in particular, Hidden Power Ground is the more useful than Shadow Ball will, mostly because Rotom-H is "Heatran bait", but this little guy can fix this problem by using Hidden Power Ground and OHKOing Heatran. Overheat will be the move that keeps things such as Lucario and Heracross in check, and just a finisher move in particular.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Thunder Wave /Discharge
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 3: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting / Overheat
move 4: Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-H is a very bulky Pokemon, which makes it a great user of status moves. Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave is a combination that can cripple multiple Pokemon of the OU environment, which makes it unsafe to switch into. Discharge can be used instead of Thunder Wave if needed, as it provides with a Electric move and has a chance of 30% of paralyzing, handy for Heatran that try to predict a Will-O-Wisp. Toxic can be used for general switch-ins, such as Zapdos and Blissey. If you choose to use Discharge, Overheat can be a good option to keep Scizor and Lucario in check, while Hidden Power Fighting can help you with those annoying Heatran that can be a big problem for this Rotom in particular. Rotom-H outspeeds Adamant max Speed Tyranitar and Scizor with the given EVs, which will make it a faster user of Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Screen
move 2: Overheat / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Reflect
item: Light Clay

<p>Being able to learn both Reflect and Light Screen makes him a very handy Pokemon, especially because of his bulk. There isn't much to this set: just set up your screens and go ahead with the plan you have in mind, either being a Baton Pass chain or a set up. If you feel the need for another attacking move or support move, you can remove either screen. One handy combination is Will-O-Wisp and Light Screen, which work excellently in tandem.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Discharge / Shadow Ball
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fighting
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom sadly lacks the ability to recover, but this set works well nevertheless. Discharge is a weaker Thunderbolt, but Discharge is an option here because of the 30% paralysis rate it has, being able to paralyze in it's sleep is always helpful. Will-O-Wisp will work in tandem with Discharge, making it a Double Status inducer, and Hidden Power Fighting Ice gives this little guy the fascinating Ice / Electric combination. If you're willing to give up the ability to cripple with status moves, Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting together are resisted by nothing making it a great combination as well. </p>
OK this is even better now ^_^ standard nitpicks

would anyone kindly add some opinions and counters to this analysis, I really need some insight on how to work around the new Appliance Rotoms

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I've had opinions and counters on mine. Although I'm pretty sure that some of them wouldn't apply to here.

I'll be generous and help out with counters though. Flash Fire Pokemon make decent counters as they absorb Overheat and take advantage of it with their own STAB Fire moves. Heatran is the best example only fearing Hidden Power Ground or Thunder Wave (and an unlucky Discharge). Blissey and Tyranitar become other somewhat obvious counters though Tyranitar doesn't exactly like status. Sleep Talkers such as Swampert do okay. Raikou could possibly attempt to Calm Mind provided it has Substitute.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
would anyone kindly add some opinions and counters to this analysis, I really need some insight on how to work around the new Appliance Rotoms
could you like...wait?

edit: This whole thing will be finished by saturday, sorry for the hold up, I had an injury in soccer practice (fuck)

just a small correction, your missing 4 EVs in the standard, double screen, and double status sets.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
updated, will be adding more to the opinion section and will add the counter section tomorrow morning asap.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Updated, and I have done the Other Options sections as well, if anybody has any comments about it or spot mistakes / think a little more should be added, don't hesitate to comment

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
yeah I tought I had put those due to ButtMunch's post but I didn't save I guess! thanks

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You should mention how on the standard set, Rotom can run an alternative speedy set to take advantage of its ability to counter Scizor.

Scizor can reach 251 Speed and run Night Slash (mine do), and Rotom won't be countering it if it outspeeds lol

here is an alternate spread that you can mention in a last paragraph or something

252 hp / 80 def / 176 speed bold

this reaches 304 hp / 297 def / 246 spatk / 252 speed

it allows rotom to ALWAYS (besides scarf scizor) outspeed scizor and always ohko it

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
problem is that I don't see any Scizor running a +speed nature in the current metagame, as Doug's September statistics show;

| Scizor | Nature | Adamant | 81.5 |
| Scizor | Nature | Impish | 9.4 |
| Scizor | Nature | Other (2) | < 5.3 |

meaning I don't see any Scizor be a problem since less than 5.3% run +speed natures, I can add it in the EV's section, but I'll also have to say that it outspeeds Jolly tyranitar, only % carry a +spe nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)