Round XIX: Coconut vs Banana, Exeggutor vs Tropius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Boufallant
It's classy. It has bling. It has a freaking afro. Tauros just pales in comparison to Boufallant's manliness.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
My vote goes to Bouffalant.

The one thing I really disliked about BW was taking out all of the old Pokemon and replacing a fair number of them with obvious ripoffs (Conkeldurr, you're not fooling anyone). I think if those ripoffs hadn't existed, BW would have a percentage of good designs comparable to first-gen (or maybe even third, which was the best of them all).
That said, Bouffalant is an exception to the rule. Unlike most of the ripoffmons, his special gimmick actually WORKS from a design perspective, meaning this is an actual contest here. Let's look at the points.

DESIGN:
Tauros and Bouffalant have similar color schemes and muscular bodies indicative of great strength - no clear winners so far. Looking at the individual features, however, puts Bouffalant squarely ahead of his counterpart. Being a long-haired male myself (although it isn't an afro), I'm a sucker for any Pokemon who looks manly with an unusual hairstyle. Bouffalant's forbidding yellow eyes and gold-ringed horns are just the icing on the proverbial cake - the mighty AFROBULL wins, no contest.

BATTLE CAPABILITY:
This can't be determined as easily. Bouffalant has more raw power and superior bulk, but Tauros has a Speed advantage crucial for offensive Pokemon. Bouffalant is arguably a bigger threat to face in the BW era than Tauros is (CB Afro Break gets a clean 2HKO on 248/0 Escavalier after a Sap Sipper boost), but the old-timer was one of the top five most-used (and most dangerous!) Pokemon of OU in his day. Tauros comes out slightly ahead in this area thanks to his achievements in days gone by - something to celebrate as he drinks away his sorrow and gazes longingly at his old crown (heh).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
AFROBULL for sure

I could never get a Tauros back in the day. It's elusiveness did give it a cool factor but I never really likes it. When you compare it to other animal-based designs from gen I it seems very plain. Rapidash would have been a plain old horse, instead it's on fire! Rhyhorn could have been a regular old rhinoceros, but it's made of rock! Tauros could have been a regular bull, but it's... a regular bull. I guess it has 3 tails, but apart from that it's just a boring normal type to me

Bouffalant at least has some cool shit going for him. Obviously that 'fro! He's also got plenty of bling. He's definitely more of a badass. He's got a signature move, and teaches kids to eat their veggies (sap sipper). A winner in my books

EDIT: 100th post!

Bouffalant.

It's funny to me when people mention how manly the afrobull is when I've always thought of it as more of a strong black woman (who don't need no man) with an afro and gold hoop earrings.

Like this, but with an afro.

I absolutely named mine Big Mama when I caught it.

Bouffalant.

It's funny to me when people mention how manly the afrobull is when I've always thought of it as more of a strong black woman (who don't need no man) with an afro and gold hoop earrings.

I absolutely named mine Big Mama when I caught it.
This is amazing and gives me serious reason to consider that I may have miscast my vote. 'Bouffalant as strong independent black woman' leaves Tauros in the shade, haha.

So what was the result of Jumpluff vs Whimsicott and Espeon vs Umbreon?

Anwyay Tauros, I love its design and just that feature of having three tails. Always wanted to use one when I could and loved it when I finally caught one in Johto. Very intimdating.

Tauros. Bouffalant is not as cool. It's funny I guess, but it doesn't have that awesomeness that Tauros has :p

Bouffalant because it's an Afro bull. Except for having three tails, Tauros is really bland and uninteresting.

ack too tired to be bothered to post sprites and stuff i'm sorry and oh crap as i'm typing this i've forgotten the score -__- let me check again.

21-13 Tauros, there we go

Next round:

HYDREIGON VS HAXORUS

Don't be silly, Hydreigon of course.
It learns a move from all but one type. It's movepool is so huge it's ridiculous. Now, imagine it doing all of those moves. YEAH.

I don't like either of them. But if I had to choose, Hydreigon because it's cooler and has an interesting concept, and Haxorus is ugly.

breh

強いだね
You guys are all choosing possibly one of the most ugly mons in existence.. ffs why is its head surrounded by what looks to be a willted flower? Why are its feet useless stubs and its wings barren lines? Why is its base speed so miserably useless and its special attack so oddly lacking with a 140 BP STAB?

Haxorus has an axe for a head.

Haxorus looks to awkward. it's body and head are not proportional at all.

i vote,Hydreigon, he just looks like a boss that you face at the end of an rpg.

You should have done Dragonite VS. Salamence, that would have been a very interesting debate to see the end result of.

I'll begrudgingly give my vote to Hydreigon, just because Haxorus is so damn ugly.

You guys are all choosing possibly one of the most ugly mons in existence.. ffs why is its head surrounded by what looks to be a willted flower? Why are its feet useless stubs and its wings barren lines? Why is its base speed so miserably useless and its special attack so oddly lacking with a 140 BP STAB?

Haxorus has an axe for a head.
I have to take issue with this. Aesthetically I have no basis to disagree since we all have different tastes, but I really don't see how base 98 speed is "miserably useless." You're getting a bit excessively hyperbolic. Granted, perhaps Hydreigon doesn't have the speed stat you'd like, but it still outspeeds a number of things and choice scarves are always available to remedy that "problem." Further, since when did a base stat of 125 become "oddly lacking?" I think you're selling Hydreigon a bit short here.

In any case, this was a tough choice for me. I like both, and there are great qualities to both designs. I'm going with Hydreigon because he edges Haxorus in general awesomeness.

Hydreigon by a bit, I like how there's finally a Dark/Dragon type and the Hydra theme stands out with its design compared Haxorus which doesn't has as strong as a theme.

Also finally that's one Dragon to be scared at if it was real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)