RU CCAT 2 [Stage 5]

balance I would say. It's much easier to pull off in RU in my experience, but maybe it's just that I've got the wrong mind for stall.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
balance

Was going to go for stall because it's very underappreciated and few people know how to play it properly (myself included) but this is for the whole community so an easier playstyle is the best way to go.

Ok with another overwhelming majority, we will be using a Balanced team. You may now begin nominating more Pokemon to use in tandem with the Qwilfish + Meganium that we have now. (Remember, no more than 2 more walls can be added for this team to be balanced)

With the rising Jynx usage I've noticed over the last little while, and the constant presence of Tangrowth, something to beat those two while offering an offensive option would be nice. For that, I like Magmortar.

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Trait: Vital Spirit
Hasty Nature
24 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/232 Spd
-Flame Charge
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Cross Chop

Mag rounds out a FWG core nicely, and gives the team a good cleaner once Meg's shuffled them around a bit. Also absorbs 2 common statuses (Burn and Sleep). I chose the boosting set because it can still inflict heavy damage outright, outspeeding most major walls anyway, and getting a chance to finish something off with FC is usually pretty easy. Plus, it kicks Accelgor's ass, and I hate that thing :P

Edit: Hold on, this is RU, go home cincinno.

Accelgor @ leftovers
EVs: 252 spe, 200 HP, 56 sp. atk
Sticky Hold, Timid (+spe, -atk)
-Encore
-Substitute
-Bug Buzz
-Baton Pass

This accelgor is really good at what it's made to do, thoroughly mess up substitute users and set-up sweepers (destroying sceptile is an added bonus). Encore locks the opponent into substitute or something which qwilfish and meganium both struggle against. Substitute lets accelgor sub up obviously on the switch or just give protection if they decide to stay in. Bug Buzz is a solid STAB attack that breaks substitutes of things like aggron and offensive rotom confidently. Baton pass lets qwilfish and meganium come in safely. Also protects against trick users thanks to sticky hold. This set works fantasticly with qwilfish alone, letting qwilfish easily set up hazards while accelgor forces switches.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The team as of now is generally very weak to special attackers, because Qwilfish cannot take any special hit and Meganium eventually falls from +2 Shadow Balls from Cofagrigus, Flamethrower and Fire Blasts from Manectric and Moltres, Bug Buzz from Galvantula, burns from Scalds and even Focus Blasts from things such as offensive Tangrowth and Sceptile, since he lacks reliable recovery. That's why i think that Wish support will be almost mandatory. For this reason here is my nomination:

Flareon @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Flareon walls Moltres, even with SR up, LO Manectric with no SR up, and even with SR up most of the times(and Scarf Manectric easily), Tangrowth, Galvantula, Cofagrigus and LO Sceptile even with SR up, so this means that it has excellent synergy with the rest of the team. It also provides some much needed recovery for the rest of our pokes, which badly need it, since they have no reliable recovery on their own. Between Leech Seed and Wish, our grass-water-fire core will be pretty difficult to wear down, if we manage to keep hazards off the field. Lava Plume is a standard STAB move that has a nice burn chance and Toxic is there for the things we can wall but can't do anything back with Lava Plume, such as any Cofagrigus variant, Moltres and bulky waters.

If SR seems like a too big problem for a defensive mon, then here is my next nomination, if i am allowed to make 2:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Grass Knot / Toxic

Clefable counters most pokes that Flareon does, although it has some troubles with Tangrowth and Sceptile (LO FB hurts a lot). Toxic is generally very useful and allows us to deal with Cofagrigus, but GK hits hard Omastar, which could be problematic otherwise and some other pokes such as Kabutops, Rhydon, and Poliwrath. Still a great poke, which doesn't have to worry about entry hazards and passes even greater Wishes to help the team!

We are at 2 walls now right?

I don't have any problem with general limitations to help point the team in a certain direction, but knowing what's what is nice because I don't want to make any wrong assumptions. (like if we vote for either of Alexwolf's sets we are then at 3 walls I assume)

Anyway, now to suggest an indisputable powerhouse in RU and a fantastic scout and possible lead.

by
Greyanimebeast, I take no credit
link to the original picture

Manectric

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Switcheroo
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pretty self-explanatory here, but I'll make a few comments

I usually go Modest because the power output is much nicer and volt switch just seems too weak for STAB with Timid, with a scarf it outspeeds almost anything anyway (still out speeds Omastar after SS), but it can be beaten by offensive Drapion, etc if you trick the scarf away. --I think the nature can be tweaked during testing if it ends up being an issue.

Volt switch > thunderbolt for scouting ability
Overheat > Flamethrower due to the hit and run nature of the set and 140 BP grants a significantly higher chance of achieving an emergency revenge kill.

HP grass so it can actually hit Quagsire, Rhydon, and Lanturn athough all are heavily crippled by the next move anyway...

Switcheroo! This move is so damn handy. It allows for Manectric to actually change moves if you foresee it as being important late game and it cripples almost all common switch ins and walls.

Also works well to stop a set up sweeper if you don't have a better check/counter.

Seconding spuds4ever's nomination because chinchinno is so cute!
Okay, being serious, Clefable would be good in it. Seconding Alexwolf's clefable.

So at the moment this team has no offensive pressure, what we need is a wall breaker; we need a hitmonlee

hitmonlee@ life orb
nature: jolly
ability: reckless
ev's: 252atk/252spe/4spd
-hi jump kick
-double edge
-sucker punch
-stone edge

this set just oozes power, this set is an incredible late gamer or wallbreaker. Both of our current pokemon have issues with dedicated walls, hitmonlee can break those walls; for example drapion is 2HKO'd with a possible OHKO after rocks. a lot of dangerous threats a kept in check by lee, omastar is beat with HJK, crawdaunt HJK, scyther is beat by sucker punch after rocks 50% of the time and the list goes on.
overall hitmonlee is fantastic at breaking the walls and cleaning up late game, both of which are issues for are current two teammates especially late game play

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)