Sableye

I see these a lot now on shoddy.

I can understand why some people like them, but I don't really think they provide much use. The most you can do is maybe hand out some burns or toxic, if the other team isn't careful.

For my team specifically, trying to use sableye is next to useless. 3 of the pokemon on my team have natural cure (starmie, bliss, and shaymin). I'm also running heatran which is resistant to toxic and loves to switch in on will-o-wisp, thus neutering this thing, regardless if it has any offensive moves. I'm running gliscor which is still vulnerable to burns, but in Gen V it can take poison with poison heal. My lead machamp has a lum berry like most other lead machamps. However, if someone has a sableye as their lead, I usually switch in heatran anyway to take the will o wisp and save me the lum berry.

Just my thought on it. All I know is it makes people frustrated when people use it.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I see these a lot now on shoddy.

I can understand why some people like them, but I don't really think they provide much use. The most you can do is maybe hand out some burns or toxic, if the other team isn't careful.

For my team specifically, trying to use sableye is next to useless. 3 of the pokemon on my team have natural cure (starmie, bliss, and shaymin). I'm also running heatran which is resistant to toxic and loves to switch in on will-o-wisp, thus neutering this thing, regardless if it has any offensive moves. I'm running gliscor which is still vulnerable to burns, but in Gen V it can take poison with poison heal. My lead machamp has a lum berry like most other lead machamps. However, if someone has a sableye as their lead, I usually switch in heatran anyway to take the will o wisp and save me the lum berry.

Just my thought on it. All I know is it makes people frustrated when people use it.
So your entire team (assuming Poison Heal Gliscor) is effectively immune to WoW (and you only have two physical attackers anyway) and most of it doesn't care about Taunt? Of course you aren't going to think it's a big deal. But seriously, about 1 out of every 5 matches I play is a ragequit as a direct result of Sableye, and it still wrecks shit in most of the others unless they have Shandera.

So your entire team (assuming Poison Heal Gliscor) is effectively immune to WoW (and you only have two physical attackers anyway) and most of it doesn't care about Taunt? Of course you aren't going to think it's a big deal. But seriously, about 1 out of every 5 matches I play is a ragequit as a direct result of Sableye, and it still wrecks shit in most of the others unless they have Shandera.
Making people ragequit isn't the same as actually being useful, even if they quit after a few turns of using it. Some people could fail to see past the simple burn or poison and kill that thing. Are you basing your results of games on gary oak's battle server by any chance? Because if you are, I wouldn't say the results of using a sableye are very reliable since most people there are either testing something else out, ragequittin (because that's just how people are on that server), or don't really know what they're doing. Just pointing this out, I could very well be mistaken.

If not, it wouldn't surprise me, but I feel like this thing is just too frail when it comes down to it.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Making people ragequit isn't the same as actually being useful, even if they quit after a few turns of using it. Some people could fail to see past the simple burn or poison and kill that thing. Are you basing your results of games on gary oak's battle server by any chance? Because if you are, I wouldn't say the results of using a sableye are very reliable since most people there are either testing something else out, ragequittin (because that's just how people are on that server), or don't really know what they're doing. Just pointing this out, I could very well be mistaken.

If not, it wouldn't surprise me, but I feel like this thing is just too frail when it comes down to it.
No, I've been using it mostly on the PO server. And even without the ragequits, it still walks all over most physical attackers. I think you're underestimating how bulky it can be.

Mastodon, you are definitely underestimating Sableye, considering that a priority burn effectively doubles its defense stat while it still has no weaknesses and instant recovery.

That said, any special attacker will blow past Sableye with ease, not particularly caring about a burn and simply forcing it to Recover / Sub.

Icyman is right. The standart set would have 304HP and 432 Def, after a WoW.
Also, due to priority recover, you would have to, in order to 2HKO:
With sand and Rocks, deal 68,75% to it with each hit
With Sand only, 75%
With Rocks only, 71%
Without both, 78,25%

Now tell me, how easy is to do that against something that has as much hp and even more defense than a 132/252 Bold Skarmory without a super effective hit?

The only things that come to my mind are +2 Exca EQ, and some Outrages...

i love this thing. 252 hp/252 sp def/careful @lefties, wow taunt and recover as standard. i dont know hwat to do with the last slot, ive tried knock off but i'm unsure about that although it can annoy. at the moment i'm trying toxic to help outstall special attackers better. i never found confuse ray too useful. gutted he doesn't get encore! even still he's so hard to 2hko.

I have found Trickery and Night-Shade to be excellant last spot options. Trickery is unaffected by their burns, and seems to work really well.

I have found Trickery and Night-Shade to be excellant last spot options. Trickery is unaffected by their burns, and seems to work really well.
Trickery is a fantastic move, and it's only in a few situations where it will do less damage than Night Shade. Sometimes it can shave off half the health of something. Plus it is lulz with Swagger.

This thing (among others) is why I like to always have a fire-type on my team. Blaziken loves switching in and starting to gain speed, and greedy players who try to Taunt to prevent setup get crippled by Adamant LO Flare Blitz. Or Fire Blast on MixKen (lol).

This thing (among others) is why I like to always have a fire-type on my team. Blaziken loves switching in and starting to gain speed, and greedy players who try to Taunt to prevent setup get crippled by Adamant LO Flare Blitz. Or Fire Blast on MixKen (lol).
On the flipside, switching Sableye into a HJK is immensely satisfying.

is it ever worth running a wide lens to increase the reliability of wow? the thing that kills sableye most (for me anyway) is when you rely on wow to miss.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is it ever worth running a wide lens to increase the reliability of wow? the thing that kills sableye most (for me anyway) is when you rely on wow to miss.
It's viable, I suppose, but once you've burned everything worth burning, you're probably going to wish you had Leftovers instead.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sableye can be annoying sometimes, but if I have even one thing on my team that walks all over him, he'll usually do nothing and die. For example, Blaziken comes in...yeah, I'm not letting that thing set up. Taunt - oh wait, he used Flare Blitz. Might as well let him die.

Or Victini...I mean shit, you DO NOT give a free turn to Victini. U-turn spam at the beginning, then guess what: V-Generate, V-Generate, V-Generate. Actually, Fire types in general kind of make Sableye useless...I'd use him on my teams, but I'd prefer something less useless. Also, you're going to be pretty disappointed if you come in on anything with a Sub.

Sableye is like a noob anthem, topped only by Dragonite. Noobs love free sashes, and being annoying rather than winning.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
If the opponent doesn't have a fire-type, though, it works really well. Team Preview makes it even better, because you know what you want to take out before it can do its thing.

It's viable, I suppose, but once you've burned everything worth burning, you're probably going to wish you had Leftovers instead.
thats the problem, miss one wow and sableye will get koed or be very very weakened. maybe wide lense with trick and try and nick leftovers off a wall?

Is there any viability to just forgetting about spdef and going impish 252/252def instead? It seems like it would be more beneficial to just be a pure physical wall. I don't ever play dream world, but the way people describe it, it's slaughtered by special attacks even with +spdef and 252 spdef evs. Dont you end up burning special attackers switching in more than anything?

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, you end up 'burning' Fire types because they always switch in on him and promptly laugh. If it's a Rain team, they don't care about the burn, they just laugh.

You're only really fucked if you have no status absorber and more than three physical attackers that aren't Fire type. That's going to hurt you against a lot more than Sableye, primarily stall.

He isn't really that specially fragile if you invest in special defense. I don't think you can switch in on any special attackers that hit particularly hard but if you're already in and they send in a special attacker on the WoW, then it's fairly easy to just taunt them and proceed to recover stall until they die.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
He isn't really that specially fragile if you invest in special defense. I don't think you can switch in on any special attackers that hit particularly hard but if you're already in and they send in a special attacker on the WoW, then it's fairly easy to just taunt them and proceed to recover stall until they die.
I once stalled out Blissey with burn damage and Taunt. That was interesting.

Interesting thought. As was mentioned if you use Swagger with Trickery you're increasing you're damage, but if you burn them as well then they're only doing normal physical damage while you still do much greater Trickery damage. I wonder how worth it that would be. Swagger and Trickery seems particularly useful against all the special attackers that supposedly switch in on this thing.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
On the other hand, WoW/Swagger/Trickery means you only have one other slot, and losing Taunt or Recover is going to hurt a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)