Sand discussion thread

Yeah there are basically 2 kinds of Sand teams: those that break down teams in order to set up a Stoutland sweep and those that stall while using Stoutland to prevent any enemy offense.

A better OP might list "Sand Stallers" and "Sand Attackers", with "Stoutland" being a given. Certainly we are currently missing shining examples from all three of these categories.

I imagine Rolf has mostly forgotten this thread, considering how old it is, I wonder if it would be okay (or worth asking) to start a new one?

Yeah there are basically 2 kinds of Sand teams: those that break down teams in order to set up a Stoutland sweep and those that stall while using Stoutland to prevent any enemy offense.

A better OP might list "Sand Stallers" and "Sand Attackers", with "Stoutland" being a given. Certainly we are currently missing shining examples from all three of these categories.

I imagine Rolf has mostly forgotten this thread, considering how old it is, I wonder if it would be okay (or worth asking) to start a new one?
Honestly didn't expect it to still be active. I'll update the OP in the next couple hours.

EDIT: Done for now.

I lol'd at Stoutland's picture (presumably unintentionally) changing to Arceus. It was kind of true for awhile, when Hippowdon was still UU.

Posting to say that Gligar is an AMAZING wall. Sand Veil just makes it even sweeter, in sandstorm. I used him as a Toxic staller, which went very well with residual sandstorm damage.

I used Sigilyph as well on this team, as it scoffs at any Fighting-type attack aimed at Stoutland (and could continue to set up on almost anything with one or two Cosmic Powers under it belt... if it wore one, anyways).

Granted, this was awhile back, before Hippowdon was demoted to UU.

-Zane

How about my two Magic Guardians, Alakazam and Clefable. I run a nice specially defensive Clefable that once outstalled a Chansey in a 100 turn epic. With Wish, Heal Bell, Seismic Toss, and Knock Off and a hefty 394 HP and 306 Special Defense, she is not to be trifled with. Unless you are a physical attacker. But none the less, she provides impeccable support and rids Stoutland and Cobalion those of Thunder Waves that they hate. Also, she helps take down Chansey and Dusclops with Knock Off.

Alakazam, the premier Psychic type in UU (Don't mind if I say so myself), is a monster. With his stunning Speed and Special Attack, and his two spoons, very few Donphans, Roserades, Froslasses, and even Zapdoses care to stay in. (Some unfortunate ones do, however). Stoutland and possibly Alakazam should be considered for every Sand Stream team. These two greats are almost unstoppable. Not even bulky waters can touch them.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dusted off my old sand team, made a few mods, and its working as good as ever. Its a balance team, with Empoleon to counter hail for its last days, and serve as a good defensive pivot, Golurk who is a decent spin blocker and has great defensive synergy with Empoleon, Shaymin for much needed resists and decent bulk, Kabutops for utility, Stoutland and Hippopatas for herp derp. Gonna try a HO with Alakazam and Stoutland later, but I dunno how well it will go with only 5 usable pokes.

I think that Eviolite Gligar is a great Pokemon in the Sand. Yes, it does have hax factor in the form of Sand Veil, but it is nowhere near as broken as Froslass is in Hail. It also has an incredible Defense and acceptable Special Defense, so it can wall a good portion of the metagame. It would need to be paired with something like Milotic to sponge Ice and Water attacks, but I think they would work perfectly together on a sand team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)