Semi Baton Pass OU Team

"Team Awesome"

Introduction:

This is an OU team that has worked very well for me. I have been using it for a few days now, slowly developing it to cover flaws. The way the team functions is by baton passing shell smash and/or calm mind from Smeargle, through Espeon, and to one of my two sweepers. My two sweepers are Haxorus, and Porygon-Z. In the event of a break in the baton pass chain, or one of my sweepers getting KO'd, I usually fall back on one of my walls, Forretress or Blissey. Blissey can use Wish to heal Smeargle, which essentially resets him for another SmashPass to my other sweeper, or even to Espeon, who can sort of half-sweep in emergencies. I really like this team, and there are only a few things I have trouble dealing with.

Team History:

This team started with just a Smeargle that baton passed to Volcarona, Porygon-Z, or Lucario. I used Shuckle as a wall, and Vaporeon as a healer, and for type coverage. My team evolved when I got rid of Volcorona, and got Espeon, as a link in my baton pass chain. I also replaced Shuckle with Forretress, due to his ability to set entry hazards, access to rapid spin, and volt switch. I also replaced Vaporeon with Blissey, a much better choice as a "healer" type. My main issue was my inability to deal with Infernape, a common foe. I dealt with this by switching Lucario to Haxorus, who has Earthquake. Other than minor move and item changes, that is how my team came to be what it is today.

The Team:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EV's: 252 Speed, 4 Defense, 252 HP
Nature: Timid
-Spore
-Shell Smash
-Substitute
-Baton Pass

Description: Okay so this is a pretty common Smeargle smashpass lead setup. Use spore to make the opponent fall asleep, then shell smash, with focus sash preventing being KO'd before spore is used. Then, I either try to make a substitute while they are still asleep, or I just baton pass right away if they switch out. I either baton pass to Espeon, or one to of my sweepers. If it seems like the opponent is going to try to lay down entry hazards or some such thing, then I will immediately switch to Espeon, who has Magic Bounce. I am considering ditching substitute, replacing it with Gear Shift, and then replacing Shell Smash with Quiver Dance, to avoid the defense and sp. defense damages.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Atk
Nature: Timid
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Baton Pass
-Hidden Power (Fighting)

Description: If I baton pass to this from Smeargle, I calm mind, and attack if necessary, then I pass it to a sweeper. Psyshock works wonders with STAB and a Calm Mind, and can really damage Special Walls. I might also just use it for type advantage. If my sweepers get knocked out, I might try to SmashPass to Espeon, and use it as a semi-sweeper, but only in emergency situations.

Porygon-Z @ Expert Belt
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Tri Attack
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Dark Pulse

Description: Porygon-Z is often considered to be outclassed by Gengar or Volcorona as a special sweeper. But with a proper baton pass he can become the most deadly. I especially like the STAB he gets on Tri-Attack, which is why I went with Adaptability instead of Download. His move variety makes it so that if you can get him properly out of a baton pass with shell smash, he can take out the entire opponent's team. The expert belt is a good choice too because with his move variety, super-effective hits are common, with the expert belt only causing more damage, tearing through most walls fairly easily. If I can get to this from a SmashPass, the battle is usually over.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Brick Break

Description: I don't use dragon dance on this setup because I usually just baton pass into this sweeper. I have two dragon type moves because I view Outrage as a way of plowing through the rest of my opponent's pokemon, if I have no type advantage. I am, however, open to changing one of the dragon type moves. With decent speed, and a massive attack stat, this thing is a force to be reckoned with. Depending on what the opponent's team looks like I will either go to this first or Porygon-Z first out of Baton Pass.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 Defense, 252 Sp. Def, 4 HP
Nature: Calm
-Wish
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave

Description: This is a great Blissey special wall, because I can use wish to try to set up a hurt Smeargle for another smashpass with wish. Softboiled helps keep Blissey alive, while Thunder Wave helps to stop physical attackers from KO'ing her. Seismic Toss is a great choice, because it always does 100 damage, so Blissey's poor attack doesn't come into play. I will often fall back on Blissey if a sweeper is KO'd, or if I have trouble with my Baton Pass chain. She can cause a little havoc and damage the opponents pokemon a little, before trying to reset the Baton Pass chain.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EV's: 252 HP, 80 Sp. Def, 176 Defense
Nature: Relaxed
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch

Description: I like this setup because it works in four ways. The first being that it can rapid spin away hazards. The second being that it can lay down hazards. The third being that it is a great Physical Wall. The fourth being that it can us Volt Switch as a way to transition from pokemon to pokemon without sacrificing some of whichever pokemon I switched to's hp. If one of my sweepers is in danger, I switch to this guy, and then volt switch to a wall, or maybe back to Smeargle. Forretress takes the damage of the switch, not my sweeper.[/HIDE]

Threat List:
Weavile: A person that opens with a Weavile that has beat up will destroy this team. It is a multi hit move, so Smeargle's focus band is taken out of effect. It OHKO's Espeon too. It also has Ice Shard, an increased priority move. Even if I can baton pass boosted speed to a sweeper, Ice Shard takes advantage of the sweepers lowered defense, and it always OHKO's.

Scizor: Similar to Weavile, Scizor's Bullet Punch is hard for me to deal with, considering the lowered defense of my sweepers, and the fact that I have no fire type moves to take it out with.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, I love this team as it is, and it has worked wonders for me. The only problem I have had is with pokemon that use increased priority moves. I would just like all around advice and constructive criticism about my team. If you don't like something about the team, just say so, you don't need to be an *** about it. Thank you.

Importable Version:
HTML:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Def / 252 HP
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Espeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Porygon-Z @ Expert Belt
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 80 SDef / 176 Def / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

As with any team utilizing that Smeargle set and BP, you have to be wary of taunt, multi-hit moves, substitute, lum berry, damage+burn, magic coat, priority, etc. At least you have Espeon to help with taunt and roar, but basically, unless the team is very poorly built, or the player uses terrible prediction, you're going to have a hard time utilizing the BP strat. At least you have some semblance of balance with Forretress/Blissey, and as I said before, at least you have Espeon, so you aren't totally hopeless in the futility of using a semi-BP.

Yeah, when I come across any of what you listed above, I will most likely immediately switch to Espeon or one of my walls to try to deal with the issue before it gets out of hand, and then I will switch back to Smeargle. Often times, with the lum berry, I will have 1 hp on Smeargle, and I will switch to Blissey, use thunder wave, and then wish. Then I switch back to Smeargle, and hope that it works. From there, I can Shell smash without worrying about getting hit, because of the focus sash. Then, with the boosted speed, I can BP to whichever sweeper can take the ensuing hit better.

Urgh, smash pass. Anyway, because this team is designed to he hyper offensive, I'm not going to cover what it's weak to synergy wise. However, your team seems to be lacking purpose. It's trying to be a mix of hyper offensive and bulky offense. You should decide what you want to do with the team before I make a more in depth rate

Are you saying that I should replace my walls with more sweepers?

Also, if I try to replace my walls with quick and strong pokemon, like Gengar, then my listed weaknesses will be even harder to deal with, unless I have one pokemon that is supposed to deal with all of these things.

I would agree with getting rid of shell smash like you mentioned. Both your sweepers are weak to popular priority moves. Techniloom can come in after a kill and revenge porygon with Mach punch, while mamoswine can come in and revenge haxorus with ice shard. So either switch up your boosting move or change one of your sweepers. A good choice would be expert belt genesect, with his huge movepool and no weakness to priority moves he could easily sweep entire teams.

Thought I would edit my original post and list the set I'm talking about in case you can't find it.

Genesect @ Expert Belt
EV's: 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 Atk
Naive Nature
-U-turn
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)