Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Tangrowth being used a lot? I don't see what in the meta it helps with or against. Thanks.
It checks many prominent Pokemon found in the tier because of its combination of Regenerator, decent offenses, and outstanding bulk all around when equipped with an Assault Vest. Ash Greninja, Tapu Koko, Zygarde, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Keldeo for example, are all checked by it, which compresses a ton of roles into one Pokemon and is very valuable for teams. More physically oriented sets are also viable to better check Mega Metagross as well as Double Dance Lando-T.

Pheromosa is B on the Ubers viability ranking, Muk-A, Excadrill and Celesteela are ranked higher, why not ban these 'mons?

Uber's is an entirely different metagame and the three mons you listed have certain niches in Ubers that are more valuable than what Mosa provides. While things like Deoxys-A are usually better over Pheromosa due to it hitting much harder and possessing a vast movepool, Excadrill, Muk and Celesteela have niches as a solid lead rock setter because of Mold Breaker, a nice Pursuiter that can trap popular Ghosts and Psychics because of its typing and special bulk, and a super bulky Steel that can take on the likes of Salamence, Arceus, certain PDon sets and occasionally Xerneas respectively. Pheromosa does have a better Speed-tier and access to U-Turn and Rapid Spin which is why it's as high as B. Furthermore, Ubers is a banlist for OU, and because the three mons listed aren't as polarizing and absurd as Pheromosa in this tier, they aren't banned despite having stronger niches in Ubers.

How do I beat Scolipass? I feel like unless I use a trick room team or I have a sub-coil Zygarde on my team I have a really hard time beating this. I mean toxapex with haze also helps but this is normally a bit shaky because it still gets shit on by manaphy behind a sub. Is there any way for standard offense teams to beat it that I didn't think of?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
How do I beat Scolipass? I feel like unless I use a trick room team or I have a sub-coil Zygarde on my team I have a really hard time beating this. I mean toxapex with haze also helps but this is normally a bit shaky because it still gets shit on by manaphy behind a sub. Is there any way for standard offense teams to beat it that I didn't think of?
Most of the time you should try to pressure Scolipede with a strong breaker i.e. Metagross, forcing the recipient to take a big hit. Most Scolipass recipients require set-up to start doing damage so by not letting them set up with offensive pressure you force them to just attack once and sack it. You should avoid trying to stop their sweepers with passive mons that can't break Scolipede's subs as they could just sack the sweeper and go back into Scolipede, get a free sub and cause trouble. Even if you have something like a Tangrowth against Scolipede you shouldn't hard switch out and give it a free sub, you should try to force it to protect and then go into a breaker. Rocks are also v helpful cause you reduce the amount of tines Scolipede can come in and start subbing and protecting. Hope this helped! I also have a bunch of replays having success with this on my alt I used to get Dug reqs

If you're having issues hazing / tackling the stat changes directly, there's other options available such as switching the target out with Whirlwind, Roar or Dragon Tail (or, less reliably, Red Card) or using something with Unaware like Clefable, provided whatever got boosted wouldn't kill it to begin with.

EDIT: If Scolipede is only passing Speed, you could also always use a slower tank / wall that doesn't care about getting in the first hit, e.g. Skarmory.

thinking about getting into ou a bit, figuring out what sort of team I should make first. Sabae is my favorite pokemon, but is it only considered viable on stall? When I lurk here, whenever I see mega sableye mentioned it's in reference to its performance on stall, but how viable is it on, say, balance?

thinking about getting into ou a bit, figuring out what sort of team I should make first. Sabae is my favorite pokemon, but is it only considered viable on stall? When I lurk here, whenever I see mega sableye mentioned it's in reference to its performance on stall, but how viable is it on, say, balance?
In stall, controlling the hazard game is essential to winning any game. MSab makes this trivial with magic bounce, and offers nice utilities like will-o and reliable recovery that help its team wall and help it stay alive for the length of the match, so sab itself is essential to stall.

These utilites are far less important outside of stall. MSab is incredibly slow and can't hit without foul play or calm mind boosts, plus this meta is full of fairies and monsters that can just flat out overwhelm sab. On stall, you probably carry the counter for whatever is trying to beat sab down, so you can just switch into that after you block hazards.

Outside of stall, your goal isn't to wall the meta until it falls to passive damage; it's to kill all 6 of their mons before they kill yours. Sableye doesn't contribute to that goal in a direct way, and becomes a momentum drain when what you really wanted was another way to hit the meta for SE damage, or, on balance, maybe another wall (sab itself isn't the best wall, it walls certain things, easily, and a number of other things it falls to, easily, many of which are highly viable right now).

Last edited:
Just go on showdown and search replays of the top gxe players. Look for one with a sableye team

Can anyone think of a cool underated pokemon to build a team around? I was thinking about Feraligatr but wanna hear other people's ideas. Preferably something not ranked in the OU viablity ranking thread or at least ranked C or lower

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Can anyone think of a cool underated pokemon to build a team around? I was thinking about Feraligatr but wanna hear other people's ideas. Preferably something not ranked in the OU viablity ranking thread or at least ranked C or lower
Anything not ranked isn't underrated, it's straight garb lol maybe try something like dd thund-t

Try out Specs Kyurem. It is better then Specs Kyurem-Black because of 10 more base Special Attack.

First time posting here, apologies if mistakes are made.

When Pokebank was unreleased, we had a (hypothetical) post-Pokebank ladder in which we played the game as if Pokebank had been released.

Is it bad idea to have a (hypothetical) post-Mega Stone ladder in which we played the game as if all Mega Stones had been released?

Some Mega Stone may not be released so it's best to wait and see if they'll release more.

The Pokebank metagame was fine because we knew that Pokebank was going to be implemented in SM, we don't know if more stones will be released after the Hoenn trio.
This raises the question: how did we know Pokebank was going to be released?

I'm curious as to what the source was. Who knows, maybe it'll have something of interet there for me.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
I appreciate the effort, but I requested actual proof, not information that relies on you remembering correctly.
What do you consider "actual proof"? All of the official Pokémon sites have been updated to show that the Pokémon Bank update is already out, and as far as I know none of them archive old news like early announcements for the Bank update.

Edit: Here is something from September 2016: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...irtual_console_titles_now_due_in_january_2017

Here, does this internet archive page count? https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160808162417/http://www.pokemonbank.com:80/en-us/news/

But yeah I can confirm based on my own experiences both that people knew pokemon bank was coming to Sun and Moon before it actually did, and that it is awful to find archives of this on any official webpage. I cannot immediately find any evidence that all mega stones will or will not come to Sun and Moon before the next game, other than people who found all of them in the code (which doesn't mean anything on its own, like mega latias and latios in X&Y).

You could probably try to submit unreleased OU as an OM again, but the place for that would be the other metagames forum. I will note that the last unreleased Ou did win either Other Metagame of the Month or Leader's Choice of the Month I forgot which) despite having largely even less unreleased than we have now, so if you get qualifications to submit it as an OM, you might get some decent interest. thread for reference http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/unreleased-ou.3566186/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)