Simply Smashing (Peaked #8)

Hello again Fellow Smogonites! This is an RMT that I have decided to post because I found this team extremely fun to use, while also serving as a very strong team. It peaked #8 on the OU Ladder three days ago with a peak rating of 1360 points. For me, this is the highest placement (rank wise) that I have ever gotten. This is relatively high considering that after the ladder reset, the first place holder was only a few points above the 1400 mark. This team is the style known as "Smash Pass", so if you think that this playstyle is "cheap" or "doesn't require any skill", you may as well leave the RMT now :). I started developing this team months ago when I lost 6-0 to a Smash Pass team that was very high on the ladder. I found that the strategy was really cool, so I decided to try my hand at it. After months of testing, laddering, fixing, and things like that, I bring you this final product. This team is, in my opinion, Simply Smashing ;), and I hope you guys enjoy this RMT, and I look forward to any thoughts/etc. that you guys have to give.

I also forgot to upload the peak earlier, so here it is for all you who were doubting it :P. Sorry for the terrible quality and size, I couldn't figure out how to make the resolution better :/. Also It was stupid of me to take a screenshot with my laptop and not a picture :/

First Glance:

|
|
|
|
|

Gorebyss ---- Smash Passer #1
252 HP | 252 Speed | 4 SpDef
Timid |
| Swift Swim
Shell Smash | Baton Pass | Surf | Ice Beam

Okay, to put it simply, Gorebyss is a monster. It is one of the two smash passers that I put on this team. His main job is to Shell Smash, and pass it to Jirachi or Gyarados, whichever one depending on how I see their team from Team Preview. I use the item White Herb because I don't like that -1 drop you get in Def and SpDef from Shell Smashing. This -1 drop can be especially dangerous when my dual screens wear off. You might say that Gorebyss needs a focus sash, but it is surprisingly bulky and can take many hits including Volt Switch from Rotom-W, U-turn from CB Scizor, and Crunch from CB Tar. On top of that, the Dual Screens support makes it so that it can pass even if it gets critted or hit with a more powerful Super Effective move. Without Gorebyss, this team would pretty much be some random team with random pokemon that make no sense. The Ev's are self explanatory, I use Max HP for the bulk, and Max Speed so it can get as close to possible to outspeeding some stallbreakers. Swift Swim is especially nice because it outspeeds things like Scarf Landy and Scarf Mence when Swift Swim is up, and when you Shell Smash in Swift Swim, there is nothing in the tier that outspeeds it without boosts. Not to mention, a +2, Stab, Rain Boost Surf can cause heavy Damage to lot's of Pokemon. It can even 2HKO Bulky Defensive Politoed which is by far the biggest threat to this team.

Huntail --- Smash Passer #2
252 HP | 252 Speed | 4 Defense
Jolly |
| Swift Swim
Shell Smash | Baton Pass | Substitute | Waterfall
Good ol' Huntail. This is guy is the second part of my Smash Passing delinquent duo. This guy is usually the first Smash Passer I use in the battle because I can usually pass off a Substitute along with the Smash Pass, thanks to Dual Screens Support. The moves are, again, self explanatory. Shell Smash because... Yeah. Substitute because I didn't want it to be the same kind of set as Gorebyss, but more importantly, so it can set up more easily on things like Ferrothorn, Chansey, Celebi (who is also a big ass threat), and other pokemon that may try to cripple the passer with things like Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, Will o Wisp, etc. I picked Baton Pass for obvious reasons, and Waterfall is the move I picked to be able to inflict some damage if I have nothing to pass to. It also helps against Specially Defensive Roar Heatran, which gets KO'd by +2 Waterfall. Again, Huntail is my main go-to guy for beginning and mid game smash passes because it runs Substitute, which makes it a lot safer when Im passing because I wont get statused/haxed/crit as easily. The only problem with this set is that Celebi can easily come in on it and use Perish Song whereas Gorebyss could 2HKO it with Ice Beam. When Celebi comes in, I usually do as much damage as I can, and then pass the Perish Song to Uxie the Dual Screener so I can Smash again later (lol). I have also tested Smeargle in this spot, but I liked Huntail because it made my life easier against rain teams, and it was original and cool soo.. Yeah.

Uxie --- The Dual Screener
252 HP | 200 Def | 56 Speed
Bold |
| Levitate
Light Screen | Reflect | Magic Coat | Memento

Uxie is probably one of the best Dual Screeners to date in Pokemon. And for good reason too. It has mass amounts of bulk, a decent amount of speed, and access to a fantastic movepool. With the EV's I have it invested in, it reaches 354 HP, a massive 380 Defense (keep in mind I didn't even fully invest in Defense), and a nice, even, 240 Speed to outspeed most weather inducers and bulky sweepers. After a reflect, CB TTar's Crunch can barely 3HKO it :O. I chose the item Light Clay for longer lasting screens. Most people use Uturn over Magic Coat, but I chose Magic Coat for one reason. Taunt Users (namely Sableye, Mew, Haxorus, and Gyarados) can shit on this team. Magic Coat allows me a safer set up and switch in to these threats. I also chose to use Memento because it laughs in the face of set up sweepers like Reuniclus, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc. If you are playing this team, please use Memento sparingly because setting up screens more than once during a battle can sometimes prove game changing. I had tested other Dual Screeners such as Espeon, Latios, Latias, etc, but the key point in me using Uxie was it's bulk. All three of the above screeners bar Uxie get smashed by Scarf users like Tyranitar, Landorus, etc. A lot of people suggested using Espeon, but I stick to the point that Espeon is really frail, and Magic Coat =/= to Magic Bouce so I rest my case.

Mew --- The Mothafuckin' BAWSE (AKA The Lead)
252 Attack | 152 Speed | 100 HP
Naive |
| Levitate
Stealth Rock | Magic Coat | Flamethrower | Explosion

Oh my god. I can't even describe (even though I'm going to later) how important Mew is to this team. Mew is definitely the MVP of this team. I made this set when I came to the point where I needed a reliable lead that could set up Stealth Rocks, and give me the switch advantage, and do some heavy damage. Mew the oh-so-versatile was my first thought. It has fantastic bulk, an insane movepool, and nice speed. I used Max Attack EV's because it's a lead, holds a Normal Gem, and can Learn Explosion (BOOM BITCH). Normal Gem Explosion does like 45% to Defensive Tyranitar, so fuck yeah MEW! I gave it 152 Speed and a Naive nature to reach a nice, even, 300 Speed. I invested the rest in HP for more bulk to take Volt Turn hits, mostly. I chose Stealth Rocks for hazards to make the sweepers jobs easier. I also picked Flamethrower for shitting on Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn as well as other steel types. A flamethrower with no investment OHKO's Scizor. Explosion is for doing damage and giving me a switch advanate, and more importantly, not letting most spinners get off a rapid spin (bar Starmie). Magic Coat is, once again, for Not letting those pesky Taunt Users stop me from setting up. Also, Mew is the best nominee for Trick Fodder because it can take the Choice Item, switch out, go back in when needed and Explode on command. Again, use Explosion Sparingly because Exploding on the right pokemon can be important in winning the battle. Mew is a five star triple OG thugnificent pimpalicious goon.

Jirachi --- The All Star Sweeper (yay puns)
200 Attack | 200 Special Attack | 108 Speed
Naive |
| Serene Grace
Iron Head | Drain Punch | Thunderbolt | Energy Ball

Jirachi is a freaking monster. It is by far (in my opinion) the best Smash Pass reciver in the tier. It has perfect coverage, A decent attack stat, nice speed, and nice bulk as well. It also resists priority like Bullet Punch and Extremespeed which was one of the factors I kept in mind when I was picking sweepers for this team. I chose Expert Belt over Lum Berry or Leftovers because of the extra firepower. If I see that the opponent is trying to status me, I will pass to Gyarados instead of Jirachi who is indeed holding a Lum Berry. 200 Attack and Special Attack EV's bring Jirachi to 285 Attack and Special Attack respectively. 108 Speed and a naive nature bring Jirachi to 288 Speed. After a Smash Pass, this thing is nearly unstoppable. Each stat I invested in becomes > 550 and those beastly stats coupled with perfect coverage and Dual Screens usually means GG. Iron Head is for stab, and for hax which helps against... everything. Drain Punch is for reliable Recovery and dealing a shit ton of damage because Heatran, Tyranitar, and Scarf Terrakion are common switch ins. Thunderbolt is for coverage against Skarmory mainly, and to hit water types. I chose Energy Ball over Hidden Power Fire because of Gastrodon who would wall this set otherwise. Plus, Scizor and steels are handled by Iron Head and Drain Punch, or have been killed earlier by Mew. Jirachi is Thugnificent. Jirachi can also be a clean up Pokemon between Smash Passes, to help set up for Smash Passes, and to clean up late game if anything goes wrong.​

Gyarados --- The Back up Mafioso (Sweeper #2)
252 Attack | 164 Speed | 92 HP
Jolly |
| Moxie
Earthquake | Waterfall | Frustration | Bounce

Okay, Moxie Gyarados by itself is scary enough, but putting it as a sweeper on a Smash Pass team... Is just devious. I chose Gyarados because again, I wanted something that could resist most common priority moves, nice bulk, and a nice offensive move pool. I chose to use Lum Berry as back up for Jirachi, and as a status absorb on the pass. With the given EV's, It reaches A monstrous attack stat at +2, still maintains nice bulk, and can outrun everything up to Timid Venusaur in the sun. Waterfall and Bounce are extremely powerful stab moves that decimate most opposition. Earthquake is really for coverage and some help Against Ferrothorn who could wall this set otherwise because Bounce has shaky accuracy. The only reason I use Frustration is to hit Rotom-W who could smash this set otherwise. And after all of this, there is Moxie. Gyarados gets an attack boost after every KO, and can easily keep going to +6 and reach a 1500+ attack stat. This is one strong ass motherfuckin fish.

Well there you guys have it :). I truly hope you guys enjoyed reading this RMT, and I look forward to hearing you're guys' feedback. The single biggest threats to this team are Politoed and Celebi. Politoed especially because it can easily come in and go out on my Smash Passers, set up Perish Songs and escape freely. It also resists both Stabs on Gorebyss and Waterfall from Huntail. Celebi is mroe manageable because of Gyarados and Ice Beam from Gorebyss, but it can still be a threat.

For all you thieves ;)
Gorebyss (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Huntail (F) @ White Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Uxie @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Magic Coat

Mew @ Normal Gem
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 152 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Magic Coat
- Flamethrower
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 200 Atk / 200 SAtk / 108 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Iron Head
- Drain Punch
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

Gyarados (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spd
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Waterfall
- Bounce

While I dislike smashpass on principle (+6 stat boost in one turn with basically no adverse side effect? gg gamefreak), I recognize it has a place in the metagame, and this team looks like it uses it well!

As for your team, I particularly like Jirachi and Gyarados and their sets, especially the expert belt and drain punch Jirachi.

I can definitely see the rain team weakness you pointed out. If it's too much of a problem, you can always try switching out one of your smashpassers for another Pokemon that counters rain pretty well, or one that abuses rain like a swift swim user. Maybe even use a hidden power electric or grass on Gorebyss or something. Then again, maybe STAB rain boosted surf is stronger than a super effective hidden power grass against Politoed, I don't know. :P I don't see many other weaknesses besides the standard phazers etc that all baton pass teams face.

I know that you say Mew is the MVP of the team, but you might consider another Pokemon there. With all the power you will have on Jirachi/Gyarados after a smash pass, Stealth Rock won't help much anyways, aside from Focus Sash, and even that is not going to help the opponent much in general, as that item isn't used on Pokemon that could threaten (just in general). Hell, you could even use two dual screen users to go with your two smash passers. I have found Latios to be a great dual screen user, as he is almost never that, so you are given the chance to set up one screen right away, then the other once they realize you are doing screens. When you're done, just Memento (which he also learns), and voila. Two smashers, two screen/memento, two sweepers.

One last thing you might consider is using Wobbuffet. He can encore for three turns on a stat booster, hazard layer, etc, and he doesn't allow the opponent to switch. You get a free smash pass and substitute in the time the opponent is encored, or you just get a smash pass if they choose to switch once they are allowed to (once Wobbuffet leaves). He can even counter/mirror coat with the right prediction, or Safeguard if you somehow need it.

Looks like if you are given just one chance to set up, which most of your pokemon are designed to do (especially Uxie), then this would definitely be a frightening team to face when the opponent has little or no counters, and still frightening but less so when the opponent has a multitude of counters (unlikely).

Nice work!

Thanks for the feedback!
I was also considering using HP Grass/Electric on Gorebyss, but then I would get walled completely by Celebi on both my smash passers. I also tried out smeargle, but he can't take priority worth crap :/

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi man nice team!

You could try an Azelf over Mew, with the same moveset. Although it is much frailer, it hits way harder, helping you with your Politoed and Celebi problems.

If you use an Adamant Azelf with 252 Atk evs, you do 97.91 - 115.36% to defensive Politoed with Normal Gem Explosion, which has an 87.5% chance to ohko, and you also do 107.92 - 126.98% to 252 HP Celebi, which is a sure ohko. Also even with an Adamant nature, Azelf is faster than any base 100 poke by 1 point.

So this is the Azelf set:

Azelf @ Normal Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Magic Coat
- Flamethrower

An Adamant nature is chosen so that you can take hits better, while still having more SpA than Mew (257>236). For example if you use Adamant over Naive, you have a 50% chance to survive a Modest Scarf Politoed's Surf, while you always survive a Timid Surf.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I think you could just use Taunt over Magic Coat in Mew (or Azelf especially if you finally go with it) since Prankster users are rare (except for Tornadus that doesn't use Taunt anyway) and Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up Stealth Rock / being able to status your passers. It's a slightly better way of handling Politoed as you can taunt it, boom and then go to Gorebyss/Huntail and force Politoed out while you get a free pass.

Not much to suggest as this team is pretty solid for being SmashPass (usually inconsistent), but you may wanna try Hydro Pump over Surf on Gorebyss because it has the same BP as a x2 Hidden Power against Politoed (easily despatching it).

I would consider taking a look at using Dragon Dance over Bounce on Gyarados just in case anything goes wrong, as with Frustation, Bounce is generally not needed (plus Bounce it's bad on this kind of team since the opponent can predict and phaze you with Skarmory/Heatran).

Good luck and cool team!

Will test everything you have said :)
Only thing is DD seems kinda useless b/c it's already so fast :O, but I can understand that I might need Gyarados as a late game sweeper :P

Explosion on Mew seems like a mistake - if your goal is to BP some boosts, the more options you have the better. Memento, too, seems like a cheesy one-shot effect that hurts Uxie's BP receiving options.

Also, Espeon really should be on the team to stop Whirlwind/Roar from ruining your day.

I would think you'd want a bulkier Gyarados and Jirachi variant if you're going to sweep with them. Additionally, someone with a reliable recovery move seems like a good idea.

Your weakness to electric seems like something that'd be easy for your opponent to abuse - as such, Jolteon or someone else w/ electric immunity seems like a good thing.

Next, you have a weakness to dark moves w/ 3 psychics on the team - and this weakness is entirely avoidable. The only psychic pokemon you really need is a magic bounce ability haver to stop roar/whirlwind from ruining your day. What's worse you know you need magic bounce, and have 2 magic coat users, wasting a turn!

It strikes me that sans magic coat, Mew's job could be taken by a number of other pokemon that could offer you valuable coverage moves. Infernape w/ Focus Sash, Fake Out, Stealth Rock, and two decent moves - Blazekick/Flamethrower and Close Combat or mach punch would be a decent lead as well as a decent shell-smash reciever, coveragewise.

2 more things:
Ghost Type/Spin Blocker

Priorty moves. You really need the option to Extreme Speed or Mach Punch after a +2BP boost.

9 luvdiscs; I'm jealous :P

I'm not sure if I told you or not, but I'll tell you again: anything that can stop you from either smashpassing, setting up, or sweeping is a serious threat. This includes perish song politoed and celebi, whimsicott (lol), and quite a few phazers (such as skarm in sun, vaporeon, gyarados, dragonite, latias, tyranitar, and ninetales). Anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that is mentioned above has the potential to destroy you with the right support. I'm not really sure what you can do about this though... maybe an espeon somewhere? In addition, it might be a bit obscure, but twave ferrothorn has the potential to cause you a LOT of grief if mew doesn't roast it.

Also, (@labaranth) Memento and explosion serve very important purposes on this team. Uxie's screens and memento support effectively force down an attacker's offensive stats to -6, making it all the easier for huntail to pass a sub and smash to a sweeper. explosion's primary purpose is to surprise rapid spinners and get a free turn to bring is gorebyss or huntail. Using a SR mew or a screens uxie as a smashpass reciever is just a bad idea.

To help against defensive celebi (and to a degree ferrothorn) maybe fire punch over drain punch on Jirachi? Also let's it pass SpD forretress easier. Blobs can't take boosted iron heads and the worst they can usually do is flamethrower/seismic toss

On gyarados run max speed to outrun Scarf terrakion at +2

Cool team ;)

Thanks for the rate zz. They don't really seem to cause me a lot of problems bar celebi and politoed but if there were anti BP/SP teams, then yes obviously :P
Also I knew someone would say what you said eventually about Uxie and Mew :P
--

Ty for the Luvdisc/rate Asterat. My Gyarados gets 520 speed at +2 which I think is enough to outrun Scarfed Terakion :P
And I will try fire punch on Jirachi when I can :P
--

But I would prolly replace TBolt b/c I would otherwise be walled by heatran

granted, the other threats i mentioned are rare, but they are still very very dangerous if you have to face them ( i lost a +6 -26 to a roar vaporeon -.-). I would seriously consider screens latios over uxie and hp fire espeon over mew. These changes dont really affect the way the team is played (you lose rocks, but thats really about it), and most opponents will expect screens espeon and attacking latios, which should help getting that first screen. If you dont want to use latios, you could try latias (healing wish is awesome), alakazam (lol value), starmie (obv spin), metagross (strongth), forretress (also spins), celebi (rocks), or even magnezone (set up on steels).

I see. I didnt like Espeon b/c the first time I used it I lost to Scarftar. I also tried Latios, same story different pokemon lol. Sometimes I need SR because sashes could ruin my day, but will test. And Metagross seems like an interesting idea.

Well I'm too tired now but I will edit this to go into more detail on this suggest but if you can change out the abilities of your team passers from Swift Swim to their other abilities. In short the reasoning is like this: i have +2 in speed so i need to outspeed stuff with Swift Swim? Huntail last poke: Scaldhax lol ftw?

Edit:Alright the reason I am suggesting the other abilities on your team was because it seems your team has quite a difficult time dealing with any status. I can't imagine in what situations you would need the extra speed when you can get to +2, but I guess it has been explained below why. Hydration on Gorrebyss and Water Veil on Huntail would just make sure you aren't completely relient on Gyarados' one lum berry to set things up.

change gyarados, chances are as you pass with a goreybyss or huntail the opponent will be using volt switch or a similar move which will result in a ohko, you want your recipitents to have complementary defensive typing to your passers. Also both your sweepers cannot ohko ferrothorn who can leech seed or thunder wave in return which is a big issue. Gyarados's replacement should be something that can ohko everything jirachi cant, spdef heatran, ferrothorn, opposing jirachi and scizor, bulky ninetales with roar, tentacruel, (not sure about this one but if it lives thunderbolt and gets a burn your in trouble) spdef politoed etc.

next remove either goreybyss or huntail for smeargle as your next passer ,spore and magic coat will make sure perish songers and sableye dont trouble you as much.
evs let you outrun scarfterrakion after a smash and sleep it or pass.

Smeargle (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spd
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Magic Coat
- Baton Pass

stop running max speed on goreybyss, timid choice scarfed rotom-w reaches 447 speed and modest scarf reaches 406 speed. after a smash you reach 446 speed, this leaves you very suscpetible to mindgames ( should i sub in case he tricks? but if he is timid and he tricks and i sub im fucked.. etc) which you do not want to risk

try out this spread:

Gorebyss (M) @ White Herb
EVs: 204 HP / 140 SDef / 164 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

with this spread in the rain, or after a smash you outspeed starmie and other base 115's and underspeed scarfed rotom-w, after a smash and in the rain you hit 722 speed so you still outpseed every scarfer in the game. Calm nature and sdef evs are to take volt switches better.

In terms of your support mons, you may want to try out espeon as a screener too, give it baton pass too so you can pass to it on a ww or roar then pass to your recipient, deoxys-d is also a very reliable screener which you might want to give a shot, ive used uxie before but the slow speed and lack of taunt can be an issue.

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am testing out smeargle and that Gorebyss set as we speak.
And I am currently Running DD over Bounce because Ferro is Steels are handled by Mew. Also, I need Frustration to kill Rotom-W who walls gyarados otherwise. But again, this team is taking a new form, a better one at that :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)