Slowmons - Permanent Trick Room

Approved by Hollywood.

Slowmons is a meta where a permanent Trick Room effect is applied to the battlefield. This means that the slowest monsters get to move first, unless of course, if someone uses Trick Room to neutralize it for 5 turns.

Before this metagame can be implemented though, I require someone to do some simple programming for me for Slowmons, or someone to just tell me how to code Trick Room in particular. In the meantime, we can discuss about Gen 6 theories about the game mode.

Rules:

• All Pokemon must be at level 100. (Otherwise the speed creep would be ridiculous. e.g. Level 1 Rattata/Aron would be the fastest thing in the meta.)
  • Deoxys S, Darkrai, Genesect, Blaziken, Mega Blaziken and Shaymin-Sky are unbanned.
Here's some tips to remember:
  • Priority != Speed. Even when Trick Room is applied permanently, all moves will still have their priority brackets intact. Meaning, a Dragonite still outspeeds an Aggron if it uses Extremespeed. A Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak will still outspeed normal priority moves.
  • This also means that Gale Wings and Prankster still allows a Pokemon to move first.
  • Using Trick Room in this meta cancels out the speed reversal for 5 turns, and the game continues as normal.
  • Lagging Tail always lets the holder move last in its priority bracket. It's still useless in Slowmons. Quick Claw on the other hand, if you can find a use for it, still lets you go first if both monsters are in the same priority bracket.
  • Because paralysis reduces speed, Pokemon tend to be even "slower", meaning they get to move first in Slowmons. Avoid paralyzing any of your opponent's Pokemon or it's a free speed bonus for them.
  • Remember to use 0 IVs in slowmons and natures that reduce speed unless you want to use an anti-Trick Room team.
  • Abilities such as Quick Feet, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll and Sand Rush pretty much makes your Pokemon worse. Avoid it.
  • Have fun with Curse, Hammer Arm and V-Create, slower is better.

Example Sets

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Curse
- Rest
- Return
- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Earthquake / Sleep Talk

At 5 base Speed, Munchlax ties with Shuckle as the slowest Pokemon ever, only losing to Macho Brace Dittos or Trapinches. Eviolite gives it tankiness, Rest gives it recovery and phaze out burns, Curse for boost and Return for its bread and butter attack. Thunder Punch and Ice Punch is great if you want to hit ghosts like Cofagrigus. Sleep Talk lets you setup faster, but has problems getting walled by ghosts completely.

Dragonite @ Macho Brace
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Outrage / Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Extreme Speed
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Focus Blast / Surf

Don't let Dragonite's horribly fast base 80 speed fool you. Without any problem sacrificing speed and giving it Macho Brace, Dragonite can now run a very versatile mixed set that can break any dedicated walls out there with a nice 74 Speed, which is slower than anything faster than a Cradily (at 43) without Macho Brace. Outrage hits Mega Ampharos, Dragalge and Druddigon hard. Earthquake covers threats like Aggron, Rampardos, and Aegislash. Ice Beam hits Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Flamethrower covers Skarmory and Escavalier, Focus Blast for bulky Normal/Steel types, and Surf for Ground and Rock type coverage. Extremespeed for taking out low health mons.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge / Macho Brace
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Spore
- Foul Play
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Amoonguss is scary in Slowmons with the combination of Spore, Regenerator, Foul Play and coverage moves. Ever since the update to Foul Play, Curse users have to be careful not to set up too much, lest they find themselves instantly deleted by Foul Play. Spore the opponent, hit it with any of the three moves, and switch out whenever necessary if you find Amoonguss is low. That nice 30 Speed makes sure only a few mons outslow it without Macho Brace.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Curse
- Power Whip / Seed Bomb
- Knock Off / Gyro Ball / Sleep Talk
- Stealth Rock / Spikes / Leech Seed / Rest

Offensive Ferrothorn is a common sight for most teams. There are many sets for Ferrothorn, but they all have the same Curse setup sweeper set. Power Whip or Seed Bomb as the main STAB, with a choice between power and accuracy. Gyro Ball functions as secondary STAB, but Knock Off is also a good choice to remove enemy held items. Finally, a filler entry hazard move or Rest for huge recovery.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Slowmons consists of a lot of bulky monsters with Belly Drum as setup. Therefore Unaware monsters such as Quagsire and Clefable are valuable choices to stop them in their tracks. Scald cripples physical attackers even more, while Toxic handles special attackers not named Reuniclus. Recover in general heals it from attacks while Earth Power hits Rampardos hard. Quagsire cannot handle anything Grass though, so be wary of that.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Heal Bell / Cotton Guard / Hidden Power Fire

Gen 6 introduced some excellent and slow mega-evolved attackers, including Mega Aggron, Mega Mawile, Mega Abomasnow, and of course, Mega Ampharos. 45 Speed is within the 50 Speed standard of Slowmons, and its humongous spA hits a lot of mons in this tier hard. Dragon Pulse hits hard on anything not Steel, Fairy, Blissey, or Chansey. Thunderbolt has more damage, but has the 10% risk of Paralysis, while Volt Switch is handy if you want to switch out and deal damage. Focus Blast hits Steel types not Aegislash. Heal Bell removes status. Cotton Guard fazes out Curse users and Hidden Power Fire to delete Ferrothorn and Escavalier from the game. Ampharos does not fear Trickscarfs either as a Mega evolution.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind / Energy Ball / Flash Cannon
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt / Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire
- Wish / Heal Bell

As an unTauntable, healing setup sweeper with 29 Speed and 99 Special Attack, Aromatisse is a legitimate threat in Slowmons. It even has access to Heal Bell to get rid of pesky statuses like Toxic and Will o' Wisp. Moves such as Moonblast, Energy Ball, Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt and Psyshock gives Aromatisse a lot of coverage.

Whimsicott @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk or 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Leech Seed
- Encore / Taunt
- Switcheroo
- Moonblast / Knock Off / Substitute

Whimsicott is one of the deadliest threats in Slowmons. Despite its horrid 116 Base Speed, Prankster lets Whimsicott stay relevant in a tier where slow monsters reign supreme. Tricking a Choice item to a Curse user or pretty much any attacker is very satisfying, as Choice Scarf severely cripples it by making it go fast, with only one usable move, which means most of your monsters would outslow the Scarfed monster. Leech Seed is for recovery and annoyance. Encore and Taunt to further aggravate the enemy even more. Moonblast lets Whimsicott hit other Pranksters like Sableye and Liepard. Knock Off gets rid of Macho Braces and Eviolites, just be careful not to knock off the scarfed monster. Substitute to avoid status.

Alakazam @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP or 252 Def / 4 Def or 4 HP
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Psyshock

You may be asking this: why on earth would something like Alakazam be useful in a Trick Room meta? The answer to that is Trick Room itself. After Trick Room, all these slow monsters suddenly find themselves crippled by their own speed which benefit them in the first place, which Alakazam has free rein to rampage outside of Trick Room for 4 turns. Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam provide Alakazam perfect coverage, only resisted by Pyroar. If you want to, Focus Blast seals the deal, but it's more for Steel types in general. Psyshock if you are wary of Pokemons that rely on spD to wall, like Chansey or Regice.
Some of the many legitimate threats

Viable (or Possibly-Viable) Options
Below 50 Speed
Shuckle
Munchlax
Trapinch
Foongus
Torkoal
Boldore
Escavalier
Ferrothorn
Dusclops
Gigalith
Avalugg
Musharna
Aromatisse
Parasect
Slowbro
Snorlax
Sudowoodo
Slowkiing
Steelix
Magcargo
Bastiodon
Abomasnow
Cofagrigus
Duosion
Reuniclus
Amoonguss
Clamperl
Carracosta
Stunfisk
Wobbuffet
Bronzong
Quagsire
Spiritomb
Doublade
Wormadam
Gastrodon
Rhydon
Ariados
Togetic
Forretress
Shedinja
Camerupt
Kecleon
Vespiquen
Rhyperior
Probopass
Gurdurr
Beheeyem
Dragalge
Wigglytuff
Machoke
Golem
Marowak
Ampharos
Dunsparce
Granbull
Octillery
Armaldo
Dusknoir
Conkeldurr
Crustle
Carnivine
Hippowdon
Ditto
Druddigon
Vileplume
Muk
Chansey
Azumarill
Piloswine
Donphan
Hariyama
Sableye
Mawile
Aggron
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Mantyke
Lickilicky
Tangrowth
Audino
Eelektross
Beartic
Carbink
Diancie
51-60 Speed
Tropius
Gourgiest - Super
Machamp
Exeggutor
Omastar
Ursaring
Blissey
Swalot
Cacturne
Crawdaunt
Relicanth
Golurk
Bouffalant
Torterra
Trevenant
Rampardos
Scrafty
Zweilous
Pangoro
Aurorus
Clawitzer
Clefable
Farfetch'd
Weezing
Lapras
Porygon2
Swampert
Wailord
Whiscash
Empoleon
Magnezone
Jellicent
Maractus
Aegislash
Sylveon
61-70 Speed
Tyranitar
Chesnaught
Sandslash
Vaporeon
Flareon
Umbreon
Scizor
Seviper
Banette
Chimecho
Walrein
Glaceon
Emboar
Gothitelle
Alomomola
Heatmor
Hypno
Lanturn
Seaking
Exploud
Gogoat
Above 70 Speed
Victreebel
Politoed
Mantine
Skarmory
Metagross
Bisharp
Honchkrow
Tyrantrum
Malamar
Heracross
Smeargle
Klefki
Nidoqueen
Heatran
Blastoise
Diggersby
Venusaur
Dragonite
Blaziken
Mamoswine
Mesprit
Braviary
Mandibuzz
Goodra
Ninetales
Victini
Prankster and Gale Wings Above 70 Speed
Volbeat
Murkrow
Meowstic - Male
Whimsicott
Talonflame
Anti-Trick Room Above 70 Speed
Chandelure
Cresselia
Delphox
Deoxys - Defense
Espeon
Gardevoir
Gengar
Jirachi
Klinklang
Meloetta
Mesprit
Starmie
Uxie
Xatu

Last edited:
There are what, 5 viable megas i think?
Megasaur, mega ampharus, megaaggron, megamawile and megaabomasnow...
Druddigun and zweleious are actually viable here!
And knockoff is great since losing iron ball would be bad for fastmons.
Crawdaunt w/iron ball
Brave 252hp252atk
Crabhammer
Knockoff
Aquajet
Fling
Isn't ironball fling the strongest dark type attack? Little gimmicky but dat power...
Conkeldurr w/flameorb
Brave 252hp252atk
Guts
Drain punch
Knockoff
Poisonjab
Mach punch
S-tier conk?

• There are what, 5 viable megas i think?
    Megasaur, mega ampharus, megaaggron, megamawile and megaabomasnow...
    Druddigun and zweleious are actually viable here!
    And knockoff is great since losing iron ball would be bad for fastmons.
    Crawdaunt w/iron ball
    Brave 252hp252atk
    Crabhammer
    Knockoff
    Aquajet
    Fling
    Isn't ironball fling the strongest dark type attack? Little gimmicky but dat power...
    Conkeldurr w/flameorb
    Brave 252hp252atk
    Guts
    Drain punch
    Knockoff
    Poisonjab
    Mach punch
    S-tier conk?
Hammer Arm Conkeldurr. It gets slower and slower.

So I think this is a great idea for a metagame, it's so simple but really in depth and it shows how reliant we are on fast pokemon. 'Mons that we use everyday like DD Dragonite and Alakazam are near worthless, but now some poor fellows like Marowak and Druddigon get their days in court. I like it, I'll definitely be back with a threat list when I'm more awake. :3

Mega abomasnow will probably be really popular. All those slow rock/ground/water/grass types get hit hard by snow's attacks. A set with any of giga drain/blizzard/iceshard/earthquake/focus blast hits a lot of pokemon for supereffective damage.
Btw there are very few viable flying types for this meta. There isn't a single slow offensive bird. So, other than banded talonflame and maybe hustle rufflet, every other bird needs ironball..

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So with permanent Trick Room up, the meta's basically going to be about bulky offense and stall. Interesting.

Mega abomasnow will probably be really popular. All those slow rock/ground/water/grass types get hit hard by snow's attacks. A set with any of giga drain/blizzard/iceshard/earthquake/focus blast hits a lot of pokemon for supereffective damage.
Btw there are very few viable flying types for this meta. There isn't a single slow offensive bird. So, other than banded talonflame and maybe hustle rufflet, every other bird needs ironball..
Iron Ball removes the flying bonus though, so if you don't want to do that, use Macho Brace.

Togekiss seems to have potential now that it has Fairy as its typing, as is Togekiss with Eviolite. Vespiquen sits at a nice 40 Speed too. Despite 70 speed, Skarmory doesn't mind being fast since it runs Whirlwind and Roost often in the first place.

Macho Brace could be hugely overcentralizing... It's essentially a free double scarf boost without the choice lock. I would support a full ban or a one-per-team restriction

EV

Banned deucer.
Macho Brace could be hugely overcentralizing... It's essentially a free double scarf boost without the choice lock. I would support a full ban or a one-per-team restriction
People said that last gen, too. I think it's too early though. Let XY breathe a little more into the meta and see what stuff starts to centralize.

How is Magcargo more viable than Torkoal? He resists both Steel and Grass moves and has Rapid Spin in exchange for recover
Also, no mention of Escavalier, it was good last gen and it has only gotten better this

Looks like an extremely bulky meta, with HO not really being a playstyle because all (or most) of the fast things are bulky too (Ferro, Rhyp, Amphy, etc.). And at least from what I can tell, Trick Room pretty much sucks in this. It's pretty bad in regular OU and it's just even worse here because in reg. OU you have the advantage of being bulky and speedy under TR while here you are just speedy.

A slow meta without mention of Rampardos? Highest attack in the game that's not a legendary and very slow.

On the other hand, there's fun stuff like Conkeldurr, Escavalier, Reuniclus, even Regigigas (who has 1/2 atk and 1/2 spe for 5 turns).

As for how this meta will work, I think you can just set it so that trick room is cast in the beginning of the game with infinite duration. How would using trick room in this meta work? Would it remove the trick room for a few turns, making the game "normal" again?

Curse seems like a cool move here as a physical Quiver Dance. Curse also has the advantage of having a much better distribution.

A slow meta without mention of Rampardos? Highest attack in the game that's not a legendary and very slow.

On the other hand, there's fun stuff like Conkeldurr, Escavalier, Reuniclus, even Regigigas (who has 1/2 atk and 1/2 spe for 5 turns).

As for how this meta will work, I think you can just set it so that trick room is cast in the beginning of the game with infinite duration. How would using trick room in this meta work? Would it remove the trick room for a few turns, making the game "normal" again?
A simple solution would be just to modify the logic. For example, supposing the original code is If (X.Speed > Y.Speed) then X after Y, else Y after X; just reverse the sign.

Listing down all viable mons would be a bother anyway, so only a few examples are pointed out.

I'm kind of sad about Cacturne's base 55 speed, though; too slow in OU, and even here the same problem thanks to being in the zone for Macho Brace Dragonite...still, there's got to be a good set for it, right? I'm no teambuilder, so just something for another person to build off of.

Escavalier looks like a stronger version of OU's Scizor without Priority. Awesome 20 Spd, Iron Head, X-Scissor/Megahorn, Knock Off for those pesky Macho Braces and Sword Dance. Lack of U-Turn and Bullet Punch suck but with Overcoat can be a start to breaking Hail teams

Mega Mawile and Azumarill don't rely on just priority anymore

Druddigon becomes one of the fastest Dragons

Marchamp can cause some problems with fast Dynamicpunches

Just a few to have a look at

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Escavalier: escavalier was one of my favorite pokes, but i always found it unusable due to the lack of speed, and last gen, the awful movepool. this gen however, with knock off's huge buff in coverage and power, it suddenly has decent coverage. However with weather and fast sweepers moving away to a bulkier offense, it became harder to use trick room for it in general. well now thats all solved. get the thing to +2 and its great defensive typing and plethora of resistances will make it a force to be reckoned with, and it has the added benefit of not having to run macho brace to be slow. only pokes at or below 40 base speed can outspeed it if they have a macho brace. macho brace rypherior, at base 40 speed, can outspeed with macho brace. as a result it can ohko if it packs fire punch. Another check i can think of is hp fire reuniclus. if it doesnt use hp fire it just gets destroyed by knock off. torkoal stands out as another would be check, however without a macho brace it would be a speed tie. other than those two i don't see a way to beat it at +2 except repetitive priority. (coverage would be megahorn, iron head, and knock off most likely, and with 252+ attack it reaches 405 attack. at +2? good luck living megahorn if you don't resist. if you do have fun with iron head or knock off). i think escavalier will be one of the best sweepers in this tier.

Rampardos: Band rampardos head smash. i think we're done here. jk. the number one problem is while its slow, its not slow enough to be that good without a macho brace. without it it can only get to 108 speed, which is kind of low by slowmons standards. even with a macho brace, however, this thing packs a huge punch with its stab head smash. while sheer force is cool and all, i wish it prevented recoil (supposed to eliminate the effects gamefreak). mold breaker would be the better ability, because just earthquake and stone edge have great super effective coverage as well as neutral. while head smash would be suicidal, it would be a very strong wallbreaker with cleaning capabilities.

Torkoal: the best rapid spinner available. i have mentioned before, base 20 speed is a great speed tier in this meta. outside of walls, there is basically no viable attacking pokemon below this speed tier. I think this should be fun. this also is one of the few checks to the almighty escavalier, with its great base 140 defense as well as fire typing. tank a hit, destroy with fire blast. or just win the speed tie. or just use macho brace. either way, really, will work. It can also be a very reliable rock setter, should you choose, and can run a curse set too (although a bit gimmicky since it has no physical fire moves). the curse set is actually really cool, since any team without a good special attacker will get sweeped after a bunch of curses by something like resttalk and then a random coverage move such as stone edge. this thing's physical bulk is ridiculous after a curse, as it goes from very bulky to chansey in a turn. coverage of stoneedge is mandatory since it lacks a physical stab, but it is still a viable, albeit gimmicky, set.
damn i wish speed boosts werent nerfed, otherwise we could talk about a shell smash torkoal set (now thats something to have fun with).

Last edited:
macho brace rhyperior hits 38 speed, which rather comfortably out-slows escavalier's 40. 252+ fire punch is also a ohko on 252/0 esca, which is neat

xJownage

macho brace rhyperior hits 38 speed, which rather comfortably out-slows escavalier's 40. 252+ fire punch is also a ohko on 252/0 esca, which is neat
You're right, i forgot that speed doesnt go straight down (facepalm). updating now.

xJownage

how do you play these games on his server? all i see is the original showdown in thr drop menu...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)