1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Metagame Slowmons - Permanent Trick Room

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by MinekoLucky, Jun 23, 2014.

1. MinekoLucky

MinekoLucky

Approved by Hollywood.

Slowmons is a meta where a permanent Trick Room effect is applied to the battlefield. This means that the slowest monsters get to move first, unless of course, if someone uses Trick Room to neutralize it for 5 turns.

Before this metagame can be implemented though, I require someone to do some simple programming for me for Slowmons, or someone to just tell me how to code Trick Room in particular. In the meantime, we can discuss about Gen 6 theories about the game mode.

Rules:

• All Pokemon must be at level 100. (Otherwise the speed creep would be ridiculous. e.g. Level 1 Rattata/Aron would be the fastest thing in the meta.)
    • Deoxys S, Darkrai, Genesect, Blaziken, Mega Blaziken and Shaymin-Sky are unbanned.
    Here's some tips to remember:
    • Priority != Speed. Even when Trick Room is applied permanently, all moves will still have their priority brackets intact. Meaning, a Dragonite still outspeeds an Aggron if it uses Extremespeed. A Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak will still outspeed normal priority moves.
    • This also means that Gale Wings and Prankster still allows a Pokemon to move first.
    • Using Trick Room in this meta cancels out the speed reversal for 5 turns, and the game continues as normal.
    • Lagging Tail always lets the holder move last in its priority bracket. It's still useless in Slowmons. Quick Claw on the other hand, if you can find a use for it, still lets you go first if both monsters are in the same priority bracket.
    • Because paralysis reduces speed, Pokemon tend to be even "slower", meaning they get to move first in Slowmons. Avoid paralyzing any of your opponent's Pokemon or it's a free speed bonus for them.
    • Remember to use 0 IVs in slowmons and natures that reduce speed unless you want to use an anti-Trick Room team.
    • Abilities such as Quick Feet, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll and Sand Rush pretty much makes your Pokemon worse. Avoid it.
    • Have fun with Curse, Hammer Arm and V-Create, slower is better.

Some of the many legitimate threats
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Viable (or Possibly-Viable) Options
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Unfixable likes this.
  2. EJ190

EJ190

There are what, 5 viable megas i think?
    Megasaur, mega ampharus, megaaggron, megamawile and megaabomasnow...
    Druddigun and zweleious are actually viable here!
    And knockoff is great since losing iron ball would be bad for fastmons.
    Crawdaunt w/iron ball
    Brave 252hp252atk
    Crabhammer
    Knockoff
    Aquajet
    Fling
    Isn't ironball fling the strongest dark type attack? Little gimmicky but dat power...
    Conkeldurr w/flameorb
    Brave 252hp252atk
    Guts
    Drain punch
    Knockoff
    Poisonjab
    Mach punch
    S-tier conk?
  3. MinekoLucky

MinekoLucky

Hammer Arm Conkeldurr. It gets slower and slower.
    Cacturne likes this.
  4. Cacturne

Cacturne

Hey guys i think you should all check marowak and trapinch out they will both be very very fast and trapinch will be a pretty solid trapper
    Arikado likes this.
  5. -Flygon-

-Flygon-

So I think this is a great idea for a metagame, it's so simple but really in depth and it shows how reliant we are on fast pokemon. 'Mons that we use everyday like DD Dragonite and Alakazam are near worthless, but now some poor fellows like Marowak and Druddigon get their days in court. I like it, I'll definitely be back with a threat list when I'm more awake. :3
  6. EJ190

EJ190

Mega abomasnow will probably be really popular. All those slow rock/ground/water/grass types get hit hard by snow's attacks. A set with any of giga drain/blizzard/iceshard/earthquake/focus blast hits a lot of pokemon for supereffective damage.
    Btw there are very few viable flying types for this meta. There isn't a single slow offensive bird. So, other than banded talonflame and maybe hustle rufflet, every other bird needs ironball..
  7. Valmanway

Valmanway My jimmies remain unrustled
    is a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

So with permanent Trick Room up, the meta's basically going to be about bulky offense and stall. Interesting.
  8. MinekoLucky

MinekoLucky

Iron Ball removes the flying bonus though, so if you don't want to do that, use Macho Brace.

Togekiss seems to have potential now that it has Fairy as its typing, as is Togekiss with Eviolite. Vespiquen sits at a nice 40 Speed too. Despite 70 speed, Skarmory doesn't mind being fast since it runs Whirlwind and Roost often in the first place.
  9. The Eevee General

The Eevee General Awakened
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Well don't forget little Foongus. Base 15 Speed w/ Macho Brace, fastest Spore in the West Meta.
    Corporal Levi likes this.
  10. nightsitter

nightsitter

Macho Brace could be hugely overcentralizing... It's essentially a free double scarf boost without the choice lock. I would support a full ban or a one-per-team restriction
  11. The Eevee General

The Eevee General Awakened
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

People said that last gen, too. I think it's too early though. Let XY breathe a little more into the meta and see what stuff starts to centralize.
  12. Gerard

Gerard

How is Magcargo more viable than Torkoal? He resists both Steel and Grass moves and has Rapid Spin in exchange for recover
    Also, no mention of Escavalier, it was good last gen and it has only gotten better this
  13. Apeirohaon

Apeirohaon

Looks like an extremely bulky meta, with HO not really being a playstyle because all (or most) of the fast things are bulky too (Ferro, Rhyp, Amphy, etc.). And at least from what I can tell, Trick Room pretty much sucks in this. It's pretty bad in regular OU and it's just even worse here because in reg. OU you have the advantage of being bulky and speedy under TR while here you are just speedy.
  14. Millky95

Millky95

Hail will be a good style of play with Mega Abamasnow being around. Slow, strong and 100% Blizzards would be nice
  15. Temporaryanonymous

Temporaryanonymous

A slow meta without mention of Rampardos? Highest attack in the game that's not a legendary and very slow.

On the other hand, there's fun stuff like Conkeldurr, Escavalier, Reuniclus, even Regigigas (who has 1/2 atk and 1/2 spe for 5 turns).

As for how this meta will work, I think you can just set it so that trick room is cast in the beginning of the game with infinite duration. How would using trick room in this meta work? Would it remove the trick room for a few turns, making the game "normal" again?
  16. Durant

Durant Formerly Snotjoch

Curse seems like a cool move here as a physical Quiver Dance. Curse also has the advantage of having a much better distribution.
  17. MinekoLucky

MinekoLucky

A simple solution would be just to modify the logic. For example, supposing the original code is If (X.Speed > Y.Speed) then X after Y, else Y after X; just reverse the sign.

Listing down all viable mons would be a bother anyway, so only a few examples are pointed out.
  18. JBPuffin

JBPuffin

I'm kind of sad about Cacturne's base 55 speed, though; too slow in OU, and even here the same problem thanks to being in the zone for Macho Brace Dragonite...still, there's got to be a good set for it, right? I'm no teambuilder, so just something for another person to build off of.
  19. Millky95

Millky95

Escavalier looks like a stronger version of OU's Scizor without Priority. Awesome 20 Spd, Iron Head, X-Scissor/Megahorn, Knock Off for those pesky Macho Braces and Sword Dance. Lack of U-Turn and Bullet Punch suck but with Overcoat can be a start to breaking Hail teams

Mega Mawile and Azumarill don't rely on just priority anymore

Druddigon becomes one of the fastest Dragons

Marchamp can cause some problems with fast Dynamicpunches

Just a few to have a look at
  20. xJownage

xJownage

Escavalier: escavalier was one of my favorite pokes, but i always found it unusable due to the lack of speed, and last gen, the awful movepool. this gen however, with knock off's huge buff in coverage and power, it suddenly has decent coverage. However with weather and fast sweepers moving away to a bulkier offense, it became harder to use trick room for it in general. well now thats all solved. get the thing to +2 and its great defensive typing and plethora of resistances will make it a force to be reckoned with, and it has the added benefit of not having to run macho brace to be slow. only pokes at or below 40 base speed can outspeed it if they have a macho brace. macho brace rypherior, at base 40 speed, can outspeed with macho brace. as a result it can ohko if it packs fire punch. Another check i can think of is hp fire reuniclus. if it doesnt use hp fire it just gets destroyed by knock off. torkoal stands out as another would be check, however without a macho brace it would be a speed tie. other than those two i don't see a way to beat it at +2 except repetitive priority. (coverage would be megahorn, iron head, and knock off most likely, and with 252+ attack it reaches 405 attack. at +2? good luck living megahorn if you don't resist. if you do have fun with iron head or knock off). i think escavalier will be one of the best sweepers in this tier.

Rampardos: Band rampardos head smash. i think we're done here. jk. the number one problem is while its slow, its not slow enough to be that good without a macho brace. without it it can only get to 108 speed, which is kind of low by slowmons standards. even with a macho brace, however, this thing packs a huge punch with its stab head smash. while sheer force is cool and all, i wish it prevented recoil (supposed to eliminate the effects gamefreak). mold breaker would be the better ability, because just earthquake and stone edge have great super effective coverage as well as neutral. while head smash would be suicidal, it would be a very strong wallbreaker with cleaning capabilities.

Torkoal: the best rapid spinner available. i have mentioned before, base 20 speed is a great speed tier in this meta. outside of walls, there is basically no viable attacking pokemon below this speed tier. I think this should be fun. this also is one of the few checks to the almighty escavalier, with its great base 140 defense as well as fire typing. tank a hit, destroy with fire blast. or just win the speed tie. or just use macho brace. either way, really, will work. It can also be a very reliable rock setter, should you choose, and can run a curse set too (although a bit gimmicky since it has no physical fire moves). the curse set is actually really cool, since any team without a good special attacker will get sweeped after a bunch of curses by something like resttalk and then a random coverage move such as stone edge. this thing's physical bulk is ridiculous after a curse, as it goes from very bulky to chansey in a turn. coverage of stoneedge is mandatory since it lacks a physical stab, but it is still a viable, albeit gimmicky, set.
    damn i wish speed boosts werent nerfed, otherwise we could talk about a shell smash torkoal set (now thats something to have fun with).
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  21. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

macho brace rhyperior hits 38 speed, which rather comfortably out-slows escavalier's 40. 252+ fire punch is also a ohko on 252/0 esca, which is neat
  22. xJownage

xJownage

You're right, i forgot that speed doesnt go straight down (facepalm). updating now.
  23. Kit Kasai

Kit Kasai

24. Piccolo Daimao

Piccolo Daimao

Hopefully. I'll work on it.
    Kit Kasai likes this.
  25. Kit Kasai

Kit Kasai

It's literally like 5 lines of code XD

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)