Smeargle

I'm curious on if someone could test whether the recipient of a Shell Break and some Inconsistent stats would have everything cured upon being Passed to, or rather just the first negative stat period ingame. It seems to me like if White Herb could only fix a few things, a potentially damning Accuracy drop or neglected Defense from Smeargle could kill it's recipient.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious on if someone could test whether the recipient of a Shell Break and some Inconsistent stats would have everything cured upon being Passed to, or rather just the first negative stat period ingame. It seems to me like if White Herb could only fix a few things, a potentially damning Accuracy drop or neglected Defense from Smeargle could kill it's recipient.
White Herb resets the pokémon's Defense and Sp. Defense after a single Shell Break, so I don't see why wouldn't a BP recipient have only the first drops reset.

i use a shell break smeargle and i sometimes rape a team, and sometimes dont.

It all depends on how prepaired the enemy team is and who your recipieant is. I use a mix sazundora with a ramparados as an alternate. mention that if you are going to use smeargle as a BP'er, then have several options as recipiants

EDIT: i also do NOT use white herb on smeargle. all my recipiants are sashed. which is why entry hazards suck

Why exactly do you want all your BP recipients to be sashed? If you are afraid of being KO'd on the switch in use something bulky like Conkeldurr. >_>

Flatterer
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Def
Jolly/Timid
~Spore
~Flatter
~Swagger
~Transform

Based on Chameleon's Ditto gimmick: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79160&page=26

This Smeargle is for handling sweepers, even ones that might have boosts behind them. Spore is the expected first move, then when the opponent is asleep, Smeargle uses either Swagger or Flatter, depending on the sweeper's strengths. Finally Smeargle Transforms while the opponent is plagued by status and makes a sweep of his own. Taunt would obviously wreck this idea, which is why it's not a lead.

Lead:
Smeagle @ focus sash
Own tempo, jolly
252 hp or atk/ 252 speed/ 6 hp or atk
Spore
Magic coat
U-turn/SR/spikes/tspikes
Explosion/hazard/rapid spin/filler

In this version of the lead, smeargle takes advantage of the opposing sr lead to bounce back their rocks, then sleep them, wasting 2 of their turns and getting sr up in the process. from there, you can set up a bp, or run spikes, sceens, uturn out, or even sr (incase you're up against an offensive lead). Magic coat also prevents taunt, so you will be able to spore faster leads with it- so long as you're not outpredicted.
In response to this, Smeargle shouldn't run Explosion, as with base 20 attack, you're not hurting anything. Healing Wish/Lunar Dance would be a better suicide move.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Prehaps this set would warrant use?

Smeagle @ focus sash
Own tempo, jolly
252 hp 252 speed 6 def (if someone can come up with a better use of the non-speed ev's it would be most appreciated)
Endeavor
Magic coat
Ice Shard
Stealth Rock/taunt/super fang

Endeavor + focus sash + ice shard (F.E.A.R.) beats any opponent who attacks you and Magic Coat handles most non attacking moves.

This combination beats any move bar set up moves, which are not a problem as smeargle can F.E.A.R. then when they attack or (with good prediction) Magic Coat any attempts to remove him from the field without hitting him (i.e. whirlwind).

Stealth rock/taunt/super fang is there if they intend on setting up in front of you.

Smeagle @ focus sash
Own tempo, jolly
252 hp 252 speed 252 def (if someone can come up with a better use of the non-speed ev's it would be most appreciated)
Endeavor
Magic coat
Ice Shard

Endeavor + focus sash + ice shard (F.E.A.R.) beats any opponent who attacks you and Magic Coat handles most non attacking moves.

This combination beats any move bar set up moves, which are not a problem as smeargle can F.E.A.R. then when they attack or (with good prediction) Magic Coat any attempts to remove him from the field without hitting him (i.e. whirlwind).

Stealth rock/taunt/super fang is there if they intend on setting up in front of you.
The thing is, if you really want someone to abuse FEAR, why not use Aron instead? With obstacles like sandstorm, team preview, priority moves, it is difficult to actually abuse this strategy, but moreso with Smeargle.

In my experience with Batton Pass teams, I can say for sure, that you want to run WhiteHerb on Smeargle if you're using ShellSmash. With all these entry hazards and sandstorms running around, your Sashs will get broken easy.

If you're worried about Smeargle dying too fast, run a duel screener like Espy or Deoxys-S. Heck you could run both like I do.

Also make sure that you run more then one poke to batton pass to, and make sure that the pokes you run cover each other. For example, my recivers are Lucario and D-Night. One is a special attacker (Luc) one is a Physical (D-Night). They both are immune from Toxic Spikes, and Lucario takes 1/4 the damage from SR while D-Night flys over Spikes. They both cover their weaknesses also. Lucario can take Dragon attacks, while D-Night is immune to Ground.

Also a neat trick I found out was that if your opponent switches to a pokemon you KNOW has a phaze move not named Dragon Tail; you can pass to Espy and laugh while they get launched out of the field.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The thing is, if you really want someone to abuse FEAR, why not use Aron instead? With obstacles like sandstorm, team preview, priority moves, it is difficult to actually abuse this strategy, but moreso with Smeargle.
Mainly because smeargle can magic coat if the opponent does something other than attacking.

Smeagle @ focus sash
Own tempo, jolly
252 hp 252 speed 252 def (if someone can come up with a better use of the non-speed ev's it would be most appreciated)
Endeavor
Magic coat
Ice Shard

Where in the hell did you get an extra 252 EVs? Why the hell would you EVER use FEAR? If you're going to use FEAR, why the hell wouldn't you use Aron? Why do you demonstrate a severe lack of understanding of this game?

Where in the hell did you get an extra 252 EVs? Why the hell would you EVER use FEAR? If you're going to use FEAR, why the hell wouldn't you use Aron? Why do you demonstrate a severe lack of understanding of this game?
The EV's are a simple fix and clearly a mistake. You use FEAR primarily as a gimmick set to surprise teams that aren't prepared for it. Aron is probably the best user of FEAR but I think the user you're ridiculing was just trying to brainstorm for new ideas. It in no way demonstrates his knowledge, or lack thereof, of the game.

The only benefit I can see using Smeargle over Aron would be Extremespeed to catch things that might use +1 priority, but Sturdy just makes everything so much easier when using Endeavor :/

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
Thanks for backing me up, simple mistake. It will be fixed.

Thing is, unlike Aron Smeargle has magic coat to deal with taunt/status. Also unlike Aron you have the value of surprise for what its worth (not very much, but still of worth nonetheless).

And to be fair, it worked relatively okay in fourth gen off of sheer surprise value alone. Granted I rarely beat any "good" players with it but this Gen (with the power of magic coat) F.E.A.R. Smeargle may just merit some competitive use.

Flatterer
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Def
Jolly/Timid
~Spore
~Flatter
~Swagger
~Transform

Based on Chameleon's Ditto gimmick: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79160&page=26

This Smeargle is for handling sweepers, even ones that might have boosts behind them. Spore is the expected first move, then when the opponent is asleep, Smeargle uses either Swagger or Flatter, depending on the sweeper's strengths. Finally Smeargle Transforms while the opponent is plagued by status and makes a sweep of his own. Taunt would obviously wreck this idea, which is why it's not a lead.
I want to try this set. It actually looks quite amusing.

Thanks for backing me up, simple mistake. It will be fixed.

Thing is, unlike Aron Smeargle has magic coat to deal with taunt/status. Also unlike Aron you have the value of surprise for what its worth (not very much, but still of worth nonetheless).

And to be fair, it worked relatively okay in fourth gen off of sheer surprise value alone. Granted I rarely beat any "good" players with it but this Gen (with the power of magic coat) F.E.A.R. Smeargle may just merit some competitive use.
The thing is, with team preview, there really isn't any "surprise" factor anymore. Granted, it can still be an effective strategy if used correctly with good prediction skills, but I honestly feel like other Pokemon (Aron, Probopass) do it better.

On that set you suggested, how about slashing Spore? A sleep move that doesn't miss can be very helpful to not just Smeargle, but your team too.

The surprise factor comes from Smeargle's infinite possibilities, so they don't know what variant there up against until their lead dies. :P
But let's be honest here. When you see a Smeargle in team preview, what can you expect? If it's lvl 1, it is obviously a FEAR Smeargle. At lvl 100, the sets that I would think people run most often would be SmashPass Smeargle and entry hazard Smeargle. Usually smashpass team run dual screens (at least I do) and its pretty simple to tell who the dual screener is. Even with all moves at its disposal they are only a few movesets that are worthwhile even running.

Don't get me wrong, I think Smeargle and its versatility can be extremely helpful. It can take down pokes quite easily if the opponent is unprepared and/or with good prediction.

I want to try this set. It actually looks quite amusing.
According to Chameleon, that set wouldn't work because Transform doesn't copy boosts, Imposter does

Edit: Bulbapedia didn't say anything about copying stat changes either so it seemed like it didn't. And boosts technically aren't part of stats because boosts can exceed 999

I never said that transform doesn't copy stats, I said it doesn't copy status. Boosts are part of stats.

The F.E.A.R. Smeargle is pretty cool. I would definetely back slashing Spore on there because it cripples Ghost switchins, and is almost never a waste of a turn anyway. Also, Extremespeed > Ice Shard like The Pokemon Pimp said, Endeavor won't hit ghosts anyway so go with the +2 priority. My only concern is that this Smeargle won't KO anyone that has leftovers, because using it in sand/hail is suicide.

Edit: Maybe use feint over extremespeed to beat protect stalling, it's the same priority and it's not like you'll be doing much damage anyway.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Anyone try using Power Split on Smeargle? It's basically a free Memento.
Even if it seems bad, but dying is one of the useful parts of memento so you get a "free" switch in to set-up. With Power Split your opponent can switch too or just status you on the switch in.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
But let's be honest here. When you see a Smeargle in team preview, what can you expect? If it's lvl 1, it is obviously a FEAR Smeargle. At lvl 100, the sets that I would think people run most often would be SmashPass Smeargle and entry hazard Smeargle. Usually smashpass team run dual screens (at least I do) and its pretty simple to tell who the dual screener is. Even with all moves at its disposal they are only a few movesets that are worthwhile even running.

Don't get me wrong, I think Smeargle and its versatility can be extremely helpful. It can take down pokes quite easily if the opponent is unprepared and/or with good prediction.
With Smeargles "bulk", he still activates the focus sash in one hit at level one hundred. The only two pokemon I have seen not activate his sash are Areodactyl (last gen, it needed a critical hit to activate the sash), and a Darmanitan with rock slide (this one is confusing me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)