Smeargle

Smeargle
Normal
55 hp/ 20 atk/ 35 def/ 20 sp atk/ 45 sp def/ 75 speed
Abilities: Own Tempo, Technician, Inconsistent (BANNED)
Inconsistent: boosts 1 stat sharply and lowers another stat at the end of every turn. BANNED

Movepool:
Whatever the hell he wants

In the past gen, Smeargle made a decent lead, with access to spore, all entry hazards, trick, rapid spin and... everything else. the sole letdown was his stats.

This gen however, smeargle has a new set of problems. Politoed will be able to switch out to a hydration poke to eat the spore, and vaporeon is only 4hkod by thunder or volt tackle. Ninetails has higher speed than smeargle naturally, requiring a scarf is smeargle wishes to beat it. However, even headsmash only 2hkos it, meaning that smeargle won't be able to remove ninetails by surprise with a scarf set.

Even his new toy, inconsistant, is not that great, being based entirely upon luck.

Lead:
Smeagle @ focus sash
Own tempo, jolly
252 hp or atk/ 252 speed/ 6 hp or atk
Spore
Magic coat
U-turn/SR/spikes/tspikes
Explosion/hazard/rapid spin/filler

In this version of the lead, smeargle takes advantage of the opposing sr lead to bounce back their rocks, then sleep them, wasting 2 of their turns and getting sr up in the process. from there, you can set up a bp, or run spikes, sceens, uturn out, or even sr (incase you're up against an offensive lead). Magic coat also prevents taunt, so you will be able to spore faster leads with it- so long as you're not outpredicted.

Trickscarf lead
Smeragle @ choice scarf
Own tempo, jolly
252 hp or atk/ 252 speed/ 6 hp or atk
Spore
Trick
SR/spikes/tspikes
Explosion/uturn/rapid spin/filler

If its a slow bulky srer, trick to lock them into sr, spore the switch, set up sr/whatever hazard you want. Explosion/uturn/rapid spin is mainly filler. If its a faster weather lead or a fast offensive lead, put them to sleep and save your trickscarf and your hazards for later. Trick has been changed so that if tricking a choice item to a choice item, the pokemon will get to choose new moves. + speed scarf shanderaa still outspeeds, unfortunately, so watch out for shadow tag versions.

Baton pass:
The one other role smeagle was used for last gen was a bper, and he still retains this function in this gen.

Smeargle @ leftovers/pinch berry/lum berry/mail/white herb (if running shell break)
Own tempo, Jolly
252 hp/ 252 speed/ 6 def

Gear change/butterfly dance/shell break/belly drum/coil/tail glow/growth
Spore
Bp
Magic coat

Gear change (+1 atk +2 speed), Butterfly dance (+1sp atk, +1 sp def, +1 speed), and shell break (+2atk + 2spatk +2speed -1 def - 1 sp def) are the best of what Gen 5 has to offer, almost completely outclassing old set up moves. Gear change and butterfly dance are the safer of the moves, but shell break offfers the most power and speed- if the incoming pokemon can take a hit (or if smeargle can take a priority atk- even without the def drop thats tough). Claw sharpen is learned by a ton of things and isn't really worth it for smeargle to pass, same with cheer up. Magic coat is to prevent phaze and taunt. Be warned- it won't stop haze or clear smog.
Butterfly dance and tail glow passing are done largely better by venemoth and volbeat respectively, but smeargle has a 100% accurate sleep move as well as other options and so is not completely outclassed.
Growth now boosts atk and sp atk by 2 in the sun, and should only be used with sun support. Otherwise plenty of pokemon could proabably pass cheer up better.

Chain starter:
Smeargle @ leftovers/lum berry/mail
Own tempo, Jolly
252 hp/ 252 speed/ 6 def
spore
ingrain
bp
sub/aqua ring/set up move

Spore the opposing lead, set up ignrain to make yourself unphazeable, as well as possibly a sub or aqua ring, bp out to your next set upper. Magic coat is also an option in the last spot to prevent taunt.

Doubles/triples

Technician/own tempo&utility pass
Smeargle@ (what's good for doubles? he's too frail for leftovers)
Technician/own tempo
Fake out
Spore/dark void
Mirror type
Heal beam/postpone/filler

Give your abiltiy to your partner. Technician is a good abilty, if mostly useful with priority moves. Own tempo is an option if you're using outrage or something (even if not very reliable in doubles). Fake out and sleep is for general utility, and the last move is for utility of your choice.

LOL you thought I was going to bp?
Smeargle @ leftovers/pinch berry/lum berry/white herb (if running shell break, or even just inconsistant)
technician/Own tempo, Jolly
252 hp/ 252 speed/ 6 def
Gear change/butterfly dance/shell break/belly drum/coil/tail glow/growth
Spore/Dark void/fake out
Heart Swap
Magic coat/fake out

If smeargle manages to get boosts in doubles, you're opponent will try to prevent you from bping, or at least take down the pokemon you're bping to. So instead, why not heart swap your partner while smaergle goes dowm, meaning your opponent accomplishes nothing but giving you a free switch away from smeargle (by killing it).

If Inconsistent is allowed in Ubers
Inconsistent Abuse
252 hp/ 252 speed/6 def
Inconsistent, Jolly

Protect
Baton pass
Substitute/spore
Magic coat/spore

Attempts to get high boosts using inconsistent. Sub + magic coat makes phazing nearly impossible, when combined with defense and/or evasion boosts. Countered by tspikes and Breloom, Cloyster, and Chillachino (unless they get lucky with evasion/defense).

Yeah. I was going to make and antiweather lead set for him with thunder/volt tackle and headsmash... than I ran the damage calcs. Man 20 base physcial and special attack is pathetic.

Seems to me Smeargle's Spore-set will be raped by Espeon and Xatu, if they gain usage. It's one of his most obvious moves so switching Magic Mirror in is a logical thing to do. And if he doesn't use Spore...just blast him with Psychic.

Even with magic mirror I doubt Xatu is ever seeing the light of OU... and espeon also probably not, with the extreme offense that we've seen so far in Gen V.

*flash of inspiration*

The changes to Magic Coat (now reflects Taunt and entry hazards, I believe) this gen give Smeargle something to do against fast Taunters. Additionally, there are two incredibly good stat up moves to come around as well; Gear Change (+1 attack, +2 speed) and Shell Break (+2 attack/Special Attack/speed, -1 defense/special defense). I think the set is obvious;

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
Timid 252 hp/ 252 speed/ 6 def
Spore
Magic Coat
Gear Change/Shell Break
Baton Pass

Ideally, you want to Magic Coat the enemy Stealth Rocks/Taunt, stat up whilst they hit you once or whilst they attempt to stealth rocks again, Spore and baton pass out to your recommened sweeper, giving them a free turn to get in. Since both stat boosts give +2 speed, you don't have as much of a problem with scarfers. Additionally, if a phazer comes in, you can stay in yourself and magic coat the incoming whirlwind/roar. The set gets hit pretty badly by priority, but generally, it does nasty things against most leads.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Regarding the above sets, Explosion is a poor move choice IMO. It no longer halves the opponent's defense upon use. Any attack coming off of those rock-bottom offensive stats is hardly going to leave a scratch. That being said, there sure are some rediculous stat-up moves this Gen. I hope to witness the Baton Pass team's triumphant return! (although not likely, meh)

Just a quick note, it is believed swimming goggles dont exist anymore, so you might want to remove that from your post.
Also, with explosion not halving defense anymore, i dont think it shold be slashed in at all, maybe use taunt or u-turn instead

If Power Swap works like it says it does, then on Smeargle it's basically a Memento that doesn't self-KO and ruins the opponents' stats to a far worse degree--handing them 45 Attack and Special Attack (with 0 EVs) sounds really cool. Even Smeargle's sad defenses can handle that much. There might be some use for it.

can someone be specific as to what inconsistent is?
The supposed rumor of what it does is that when entering battle, the Pokemon with this ability randomly gets a stat change in a random direction.

So it could be + or - Attack, Defense, Speed, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, Accuracy, Evasion if I'm reading it correctly. Seems gimmicky, but it could work as a random baton pass... or just a move that gets you killed >_>;.

Uhh this seems pretty much the same since like what RSE?Spore is still annoying as fuck and the main reason you use him.Just to let you know...Swimming googles was prooven to be false.And also why would you baton pass DD when you can Baton pass Gear Change instead?It raises attack by 1 stage and Speed by 2 stages.

Umm.. you basically just lazily posted old movesets. Smeargle has tons of new options available now.

Baton Passable Boosts
Claw Sharpen: Boost Atk and Acc 1 stage.
Butterfly Dance: Boost SpA, SpD, and Speed by 1 stage.
Shell Break: Boosts Atk/SpA/Spe 2 stages, lowers Def/SpD 1 stage
Cheer Up: Boost Atk/SpA 1 stage
Gear Change: Boost Atk 1 stage and Spe 2 stages

Doubles Moves
Mirror Type: Changes target's ability to user's
Rage Power: Bug-type version of Follow Me
Soak: Change target to Water type
Simple Beam: Change target's ability to Simple
Heal Beam: Recovers target's HP 50%
Postpone: Forces target to move last
Wonder Room: Switch Def and SpD of all pokemon for 5 turns

Hm... Hey, what about power/guard share? With stats like Smeargle's I'm sure they can knock something down a few pegs. Unless of course power/guard swap work like Jiggy said (I kinda doubt it but who knows?).

Just a thought.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Hm... Hey, what about power/guard share? With stats like Smeargle's I'm sure they can knock something down a few pegs. Unless of course power/guard swap work like Jiggy said (I kinda doubt it but who knows?).

Just a thought.
Meh, just endeavor.

Baton Passable Boosts
Claw Sharpen: Boost Atk and Acc 1 stage.
Butterfly Dance: Boost SpA, SpD, and Speed by 1 stage.
Cheer Up: Boost Atk/SpA 1 stage
Gear Change: Boost Atk 1 stage and Spe 2 stages
Shell Break sounds beastly, however it would force Smeargle to run White Herb if I'm not mistaken - you don't want to pass negative boosts, receiving Baton Pass boosts harder with lower defenses. Heck, without White Herb taking -1 to both defenses on something as frail as Smeargle makes passing extremely hard, if not impossible. However I never played with Baton Pass teams, so I may be mistaken with passing negative stat changes (or it could change this Generation).

Gear Change also looks extremely good. Imagine passing this to Salamence, Ononokusu, Rayquaza or Groudon. This may be totally game-breaking if played right, especially as they mostly need speed and this +1 bonus to physical attack should be enough to break through most things late game.

Butterfly Dance is also neat. Especially with introduction of Psycho Break, where you may just pass this boost and start attacking, as Blissey won't enjoy boosted Psycho Break anytime soon. MewTwo is probably the best receiver of this, while Alakazam and Gengar may also use it with deadly effect.

Anyway, I love it how those boosting moves makes Smeargle much more potent Baton Passer, as in most cases in the past Mew outclassed it (of course I mean in Gen 4 Ubers) and could only stick to Belly Drum pass, while not being outclassed. Now he has few more viable options too choose from and may be usefull even in future Ubers tier.

Baton Passable Boosts
Smeargle @White Herb
Defensive EVs/Nature :S
-Spore
-Shell Break
-Baton Pass
-Filler

Taunt would be a problem, but a great thing about this set is that a successful Shell Break would more than likely allow him Spore. And if they try switching out after that you get to Baton Pass into a Sweeper with an advantage to possibly set up some more, or Shell Break again.

The thing with smeargle, he's not used for moves. He's for combinations of moves (aka setup move+ bp + spore). Those doubles moves are probably useful, but probably run better by other pokemon unless there's a combo only smeargle can pull off (the only thing I could see working is mirror type own tempo/technician to your partner...I guess i'll add it).
The original reason I Made this thread was because I was making a smeargle set. I came up with this

Smeargle@ life orb
Headsmash
Volt tackle/thunder
Grass knot
Close combat/spore

as an antiweather lead. Then I realized he needed scarf to ouspeed ninetails (somewhat eh) then ran damage calcs (which were completely fail). So no element of surprise weather lead kills to make sure you had control of the weather. And I didn't want to waste what I had already typed up. plus he did get some new toys. I didn't learn about gear change and shell break until after I made the thread though.

I suppose power/gaurd share might be options, but smeargles most likely respone is a priority user to ko him (who might be bothered by power share) or a tank to phaze him (more bothered by gaurd share). In either case, if smeargle uses a turn to share, he might not get a chance to bp out- especially if he chooses the wrong share. A power share based set is better left to shuckle.

i've always wanted a smeargle set with all sigature moves like
crush grip--STAB
scared sword- kills steel and rock
shadow drive--kills ghosts
aeroblast/psycho break-- kills fighting
not the best set but will surely throw people off while causing decent damage

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
i've always wanted a smeargle set with all sigature moves like
crush grip--STAB
scared sword- kills steel and rock
shadow drive--kills ghosts
aeroblast/psycho break-- kills fighting
not the best set but will surely throw people off while causing decent damage
Arc Tech said:
55 hp/ 20 atk/ 35 def/ 20 sp atk/ 45 sp def/ 75 speed
Never use Smeargle for anything but support and Baton Passing.

For the baton bass set, don't forget coil.

I think it'd be great for aggron, using moves with shaky accuracy, like head smash, aqua tail and possibly dragon rush

Also, Smeargle can Baton Pass Tail Glow, which gives a +3 boost. Although, I think all stat up moves besides Belly Drum, Shell Break, Gear Change and maybe Coil can be Baton Passed by other Pokemon so Smeargle should just stick to Baton Passing Belly Drum, Shell Break, Ingrain, and Spider Web since the other moves are either outclassed or done better by another Pokemon (Volbeat can Baton Pass Tail Glow and has Misceivous Heart to escape quickly).

Never use Smeargle for anything but support and Baton Passing.
thats one of they're biggest mess ups wasting the perfect attack on some almost useless even if they had given him trace his stats are still to low to do anything
to only hope in my book is an evolution with trace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)