Smeargle

here's my baton pass smeargle.

smeargle
jolly/timid
252 spd, 252 hp. 4 def
item: focus sash
butterfly dance/ tail glow/ belly drum/shell break(whatever you wanna baton pass)
spore
baton pass
magic coat/substitute

252 HP/Speed each.
Timid
White Herb
Spore/Shell Break/Substitute/Baton Pass

Bluff a Spore on the first turn and Substitute. If they have priority/phazing, Spore that. Otherwise, Shell Break and pass both the boost and hopefully the Sub to something like Nidoking. Proceed to laugh.

I've been abusing inconsitant lately along with the ever powerful shell break. And while it has screwed me over a few times (sharply lowering my accuracy twice), for the most part it usually helps me set up, sometimes even negating or giving defense boosts over the stuff I lost from shell break. Its basically a bit of a gamble, but I find it makes using smeargle all that more fun.

Also would like to point out that for baton pass with Butterfly Dance, it is largely outclassed by venomoth, aside from smeargle's sleeping move being 25% more accurate.

Smeargle is a unique passer of: Coil, Gear Change. Tail Glow is good but Volbeat can do better with Mischievous Heart. Gorebyss can do Shell Break better in rain, but stick to Smeargle otherwise.

I would like to put a good word in for Inconssistentt as it really amounts to Speed Boost, but more fun.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm not fan of BPing Shell Break because of the Defense/Sp. Defense drop, especially with the priority running around everywhere in the form of Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, etc. I prefer to pass Coil, Gear Change and Butterfly Dance, Cosmic Power and the valuable Acupressure (imagine a 2+ evasion without activating the Evasion Clause).

I'm not fan of BPing Shell Break because of the Defense/Sp. Defense drop, especially with the priority running around everywhere in the form of Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, etc. I prefer to pass Coil, Gear Change and Butterfly Dance, Cosmic Power and the valuable Acupressure (imagine a 2+ evasion without activating the Evasion Clause).
Venomoth is prolly better suited as BDance passer. It has sleep powder and can even attack with tinted lens bug buzz if needed. Plus, it's defenses aren't crap.

..So why would smeargle try to KO vaporeon again? It sets up and dies while doing so, last I checked smeargle isn't a power house. I prefer mine for baton passing though..

Venemoth/Volbeat is largely better for bping butterfly dance/tail glow, but sleep powder is only 75% accurate, while smeargle gets 100%, meaning it's not completely outclassed. Volbeat gets priority bp, but no sleep move. I'll add tail glow as an option.

i prefer tail glow ove butterfly dance just for pure sweeping. i use it alonside a scarf heatran. excellent sweeping capabilities there.

I don't think bping a boost to a choicer is a good idea. If you choose to use flamethrower, if the opponent had a flash fire poke, there goes your boost. Same with all other types that have immunities to them. (So all except steel, ice, dark, flying, dragon, rock, and bug.) And in most cases a quad resist is nearly as good as an immune.

As Spore is the typical Smeargle sleep move...
As Herbivore Pokemon eat Spore and other Grass moves as well as usually having a Fighting move...

Could Smeargle opt for Lovely Kiss instead or should a set not reliant on a sleep move considered over a Spore/sleep set?

You know, I did a little research, and I learned that Smeargle is the only Pokemon that can Baton Pass Coil. But then, I realized something amazing. If you use Butterfly Dance & Coil, you get a +1 for every stat! And a boost of accuracy to boot! I know that Smeargle has the defenses of a sack of crap, but seven different stats getting boosted in two turns is quite frightening, especially if Smeargle has proper team support.

Even with magic mirror I doubt Xatu is ever seeing the light of OU... and espeon also probably not, with the extreme offense that we've seen so far in Gen V.
espeon has a Base SpAtk Of 130 And 110 Speed so it can compete with the hard hitters.

It may move To UU, MAYBE BL depending on how the metagame goes this time

breh

強いだね
@Lunanight

Hard countered by Banded Spiritomb, end of story

@The Other Doug

I don't think it's that great of an idea to BP Coil IMO. Accuracy boost is cool and all but other than that it's just like Bulk Up - no speed boost. Plus in all honesty I can't think of many physical attacks that have less than decent (85%) accuracy... I think that's pretty much Dynamicpunch (IIRC needs 3 coils to be perfect acc), Stone Edge, Megahorn, Cross Chop, and Gunk Shot (93% acc after a coil). It's a pretty lackluster option IMO, especially since there's no speed boost involved. The best use I can see of it is using it with a Heracross and some BP'd speed, but you need to get speed boosts from elsewhere unfortunately.

EDIT: Dragon Rush and Iron Tail are cool and all (especially the former) but they don't hold enough power in comparison to other options, making them feel inferior. Plus would anything really like to use Dragon Rush over the more powerful outrage (in singles at least)? I realize that it's got a worse side effect but the power difference surely is great.

Also your signature is hilarious xD

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
@The Other Doug

I don't think it's that great of an idea to BP Coil IMO. Accuracy boost is cool and all but other than that it's just like Bulk Up - no speed boost. Plus in all honesty I can't think of many physical attacks that have less than decent (85%) accuracy... I think that's pretty much Dynamicpunch (IIRC needs 3 coils to be perfect acc), Stone Edge, Megahorn, Cross Chop, and Gunk Shot (93% acc after a coil). It's a pretty lackluster option IMO, especially since there's no speed boost involved. The best use I can see of it is using it with a Heracross and some BP'd speed, but you need to get speed boosts from elsewhere unfortunately.
And Dragon Rush, especially in the new Overconfidence Salamence, as well Garchomp.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
As always, Smeargle will find his niche in being an excellent baton passer.

However, he should never be passing Tail Glow, as Volbeat does that better than he does. Everything else is great, free game though, especially Shell Break.

@The Other Doug

I don't think it's that great of an idea to BP Coil IMO. Accuracy boost is cool and all but other than that it's just like Bulk Up - no speed boost.
I think the reason why it boosts accuracy is because gunk shot is so inaccurate (Arbok one of the only mons that learns the move.)

EDIT: Also, does white herb work with inconsistent? (it raises one stat +2 and lowers one -1) if it does, then that could be a fun thing to use on a gimmick set. Who knows? You may get a +2 Speed boost after belly drumming.

breh

強いだね
If Smeargle uses Growth in sun, a +2 in SpA and +2 in Attack become baton Pass'd, right?

How did nobody else notic this?

And yes, this is true. A fairly viable thing to pass, as there are few that can pass it.

EDIT: Hilariously Illumise (with Mischevous Heart) is the only one to pass it; looks like Smeargle is outclassed by two previously NU Bug-types in some facet of Baton Passing...

Seriously this gen is hilarious

EDIT: Derp I was even looking through its egg moves and I realized that it was illegal a while back but forgot to post; yeah it's illegal

It sucks that the cooler one gets the shorter end of the stick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)