Smocon 07 - Coming or not?

Are you coming to Smocon 07?

• Yes. I am a definite attendee.

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • I am planning on it, but haven't finalized anything yet.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I am not coming, and I don't know why I am bothering to vote at all.

Votes: 135 74.6%

• Total voters

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So I just got a new job where I'll be making twice what I am right now.

Put another check next to my name on the list.

Well guys, I really wish I could make this, and I'm sure you guys are going to have a lot of fun, but I just can't make it work. I hope you guys have a shitton of fun and take loads of pictures and videos, maybe one of you could call me if I'm on (I wouldn't trust many *coughzerowingcough* of you with my number considering I don't have a cell and it would be pretty awkward/weird if one of my parents picked up...). I hope I can make the one next year, I really wanted to meet up with all of you and have a great time but perhaps in the future sometime! Also I may or may not be going to Chicago this summer and if I do I will be sure to meet up with some guys while I'm there, so that should be pretty kickass.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Okay, I'm trying to get this stuff done. It still seems tough but I might just manage to pull it off! If I do go, I'll probably be with cloud (he offered me a place there!) or hopefully in one of the cheap rooms (distance gets preference yea!).

Anyway, will anyone be driving up from the NY area or nearabouts? I'd rather save on the bus trip if possible!

I voted 3rd choice, but I'll plan i tout, because well i am spoiled and my sister is driving to canda for a road trip, i for sure will get money, ovah $500 bucks due to my grades. I got a uncle in ontario i can stay but i'll rather sleep with you guys, and if i need more money ima ask my uncle

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Anyway, will anyone be driving up from the NY area or nearabouts? I'd rather save on the bus trip if possible!
"NY area" is a big vague, I'm in Rochester, but I'm assuming you mean New York City.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, I mean around the outskirts of NY/NJ. Van Winkle Avenue in NJ actually. Thats where I'll be but I could easily go to downtown New York or even somewhere nearby.

Where is Rochester? (yeah i don't know shit about the us)

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Rochester is like right on Lake Ontario. (To the south of it actually)

Shiv

mostly harmless
Um, if you put it in terms of "15 minute drive from NY downtown" or something like that it would be easier lol.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's about five and a half hours from downtown NYC. You have to go northwest across the entire state, basically.

Shiv

mostly harmless
5 and a half hours seems to be a bit far. Is there someplace common between Rochester -> Toronto and NY? Like maybe you pass through someplace nearby?

Cool.

Never saw this before. I might make a guest appearance since I live only a couple hours from Toronto anyway. :) Would be cool to see some people.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
5 and a half hours seems to be a bit far. Is there someplace common between Rochester -> Toronto and NY? Like maybe you pass through someplace nearby?
Buffalo, I'll be passing right through it.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DoomMullet said:
Buffalo, I'll be passing right through it.
The thing that this (correct) answer isn't conveying is that you have to essentially go through Rochester to get to Buffalo...Buffalo is even further away than Rochester is.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
The thing that this (correct) answer isn't conveying is that you have to essentially go through Rochester to get to Buffalo...Buffalo is even further away than Rochester is.
Hahaha, good point. Yeah, Shiv, let's take a look at this handy map I found:

As you can see, it's the state of New York. Lower right is NYC, and that red line going North-South is the Interstate 87. The blue line is the 90. So from NYC you'd drive North on the 87, then in Albany you'd hop on the 90 going West. It passes right through Rochester (where I live) and continues on to pass right through Buffalo. That magenta line is the route I'm taking to Toronto, where I'd leave the 90 and take the 290 to the 190 up through Niagara Falls... actually, that's not true, I'd probably cross the Peace Bridge right in Buffalo and take the QEW up.

Okay, I hope that helps, because I spent way too much time on this post.

Shiv

mostly harmless
If only every problem in the world could be represented with a diagram like that.

Yeah, it helped a ton and I think I may just come up to Rochester. Ill try to catch you on IRC so I can just get it completely clear in my head. First step is still getting to NYC somehow.

Edit: I talked to DM and other stuff. There's around 75% chance of me attending!

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
ive booked my days off from work so now im definitely coming! (provided nothing stops me from now til then)

so if skarm could hook me up with a room or give me directions to where i can get one thatd be super

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
skarm, I noticed that the dates you named for the trip start on a Wednesday and go through the Sunday. I don't exactly feel comfortable taking 3 days PTO yet, maybe not even two. I'll be taking the Friday off, of that there's no doubt, but is there any sort of itinerary in existence/that we could draw up to see if I should snag the Thursday as well?

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay, it's pretty much confirmed that I'm going.

cloud, am I able to stay with you for sure? I need to know whether I am doing that or going in a hotel.

I live right in Toronto, and I have that day off...

However, I pretty much don't even know you guys. I don't know whether I should come or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)