Playoffs Smogon Classic - Playoffs - FINALS [Won by Ojama]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
The OST will always be the most prestigious tournament on here, followed by the Smogtours. Every other tournaments was conjured to give people more chances at receiving a trophy. How often do you see someone receive a green or blue trophy in real life? It's always the gold standard.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Single elimination is a A LOT of pressure. It's like the NCAA tournament. Win or go home. With these type of tourneys, you have plenty of shots to make the playoffs as long as you have the time to play. I have a job, boyfriends, and a life to attend to. It's impossible to play five bo3 tournaments just to make the playoffs. It's not the competition that defines these type of tourneys; it's just whoever has more time to invest in it. Being a veteran who knows these tiers well, by default, increases your odds of winning it all by 50%.

Isn't that the point though; someone who's well versed in various tiers should have a better chance of taking it all. playoffs system is also harder than continuous bo3s imo because you have to beat other top players after getting requisite points.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
It depends on how you look at it. To me, the 'win or go home' aspect of OST makes it the toughest. Everyone always gives his best shot playing it. OST's history also makes it the most prestigious. I'm not just saying this because I have a gold trophy either.

Anyways, to each her own. Let's end this convo already because the remaining four guys in this tournament deserve all the attention. I shouldn't be the star of this thread.

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Single elimination is a A LOT of pressure. It's like the NCAA tournament. Win or go home. With these type of tourneys, you have plenty of shots to make the playoffs as long as you have the time to play. I have a job, boyfriends, and a life to attend to. It's impossible to play five bo3 tournaments just to make the playoffs. It's not the competition that defines these type of tourneys; it's just whoever has more time to invest in it. Being a veteran who knows these tiers well, by default, increases your odds of winning it all by 50%.
On the flipside, however, BO1 means that you can sort of have relatively easy paths to a victory. Take for example the difference between the Champions League and the English Premier League in soccer. They test different things entirely, and the club I support, Liverpool, has been able to win the former but not the latter. At that point, prestige and the one you want to win shifts - a club like Chelsea, that had won the Premier League but not the CL for ages, would rather that. Different strokes and such, importance depends on the person and difficulty does as well. A club like Liverpool, and certain Pokemon players, are just entirely unlikely to be able to win something where you have to be consistent over a relatively long period of time against other strong players. Similarly, some clubs and some Pokemon players are unable to cope with the pressure of a straight up knockout tournament, and fail in those regards.

So I guess overall I can't really see a distinction on the prestige or difficulty of a particular tournament when they are all so differing and test such wildly different things.

edit: Additionally, WQ, I don't think you're being the "star of the thread", considering the conversation has mostly been civil and relatively supported in anything anyone has offered so far. I don't necessarily see the downside in discussing the weight of the trophy we are two rounds away from rewarding for the first time, it's a new era and a new major trophy for a storied website, it's definitely an interesting topic and one that deserves discussion, and I'd wager that more people would find it interesting than just listing two names out of four in bold.

Tele

a quality human being
putting my 2 cents in oo I think the 5 main inidividual official tournaments (ST, OST, OLT, slam, classic) can be ideally splitted into 2 cathegories: the ones involving only ORAS (OST OLT and slam) and the ones involving pastgens (ST and classic). Now I think everybody agrees that the ones involving only oras have a larger playerbase since there are more people playing the current gen than ppl playing the past gens. In addition to that its very difficult to learn past generations because past gen ps ladders are dead, making it very difficult to practice and to make experience. Some may say watching or playing against competent players in these metagames helps a lot, but -1 it will only help until a certain point -2 playing against some friends is very different than playing in the ladder against hundred of different ppl with different playstyles (which is not possible in the past generations). This gives to the people who played through the past generations a large advantage to people like me, who started playing when xy was released. It is true that ST has a large playerbase every season too, but as you can notice theres some slight difference between the number of people joining oras (always 100+ people, often 150+ )and the number of players joining dpp or bw (often less than 100 players), restricting a lot the pool of players that really have a shot to make playoffs. So if we talk in terms of prestige, id rank ost and olt a bit higher than st or classic​

Last edited:

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Just because a tournament is more (a lot more) time consuming and requires its players to go through five bo3s and then the playoffs doesn't make it more prestigious. OST and SmogTours are the tennis equivalent of a Grand Slam. I'm referring to Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, specifically, not the Winter Special Olympics (Smogon's Grand Slam). The Smogon Classics is probably the Iran Open or something in the tennis world, prestige-wise.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Here's my unbiased rankings of Smogon's official tournaments.

1) OST -- it has the word 'official' for a reason
2) Tours -- the most fun of all the individual trophy tournaments
3) Grand Slam -- lol
4) Classics -- lol
5) OLT -- a poor man's OST
6) Frontier -- this is a joke. Bloo has a green trophy because his "boys" let him win. Let's be real.

WCoP and SPL are jokes and don't even deserve to be ranked. We talking individual trophies here.

yeah too bad it is not the tournament of third chances or maybe you'd be here too thatsjustpeachy

OST is the most prestigious tournament on smogon but it is not necessarily the hardest. someone like ojama can make top 16 every time he plays smogon tour if he wishes, and so obviously has a good shot every time he plays, whereas he gets to play unknown quantities for 10 rounds during OST. on the flip side, another user would never be able to make top 16 of smogon tour because they aren't good enough, yet we often see these guys get lucky runs to the deep rounds of OST.

even you are a good example whitequeen. you have played 167 games in smogon tour yet you haven't once qualified for top 16. maybe that is to do more with your win rate of 50.9% tho...

anyway, papa noel and I are playing next weekend sometime

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Your tone sounds rather pointed, bab. I haven't made the tour's playoffs because I still don't have time to play it. I've withdrew from a tour so many times, I've seriously lost track. Don't hate, okay? I thought New Zealand guys were known for their friendliness and overall minuscule penises?

Just ask user SoulWind. At one point in round 3 or something of a tour, I used a BW UU team vs him and I WAS WINNING, yet I gave him the win because I had to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)