CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 6

Which art should we use for our Pokemon?

• Rocko the Taco

Votes: 18 8.8%
  • KoA #1 (mummy)

Votes: 47 22.9%
  • TaB #1 (kana)

Votes: 39 19.0%
  • KoA # 2 (viking)

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • DougJustDoug

Votes: 61 29.8%
  • Sanglunaria

Votes: 39 19.0%
  • KoA #3 (marionette)

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • TaB #2 (fencing)

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • TaB #3 (boxing)

Votes: 28 13.7%
  • Cooper

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright- though i am ecstatic you used my idea for a fighting ghost phys sweeper, i am pretty much let down that
we did not use your idea.
their was a poll that dicided to have ghost as the first type, and later a poll that chose to have fighting as the second type.
later we had a poll that dicided to have a pokemon with "roughly equal ability to take hits as to attack" "more phy. attack than sp. attack" and "low speed"

1) you didnt ask my permission or give me recognition whatsoever in the planning process
thats because it was not your idea. do you even know how "create a pokemon" works? each and every aspect of a pokemon is VOTED for, not one person saying "i want a ghost/steel with 200/150/100/0/100/103 stats, levitate, heatproof, and a great movepool it should look like this *insert picture*" even if your idea is well thought out here is NOT the place to say it. you may sumit you pictures in the art thread, but they may not be acsepted, also you missed it.

2) nobody waited for me to submit what i actualy wanted it to look like before making a poll
the art poll was left open for a long time, if you missed it its youre fault.

3) you had a vote on what its purpose would be when i clearly stated what it should do, after lots of careful study of weaknesses, resistances, and gaps in the OU metagame that needed to be filled (and how).
look if you dont understand why this sentence is not useful here by now i give up. we vote on stuff.

I thought this would happen' half these pokemon were designed before the stats and some cases the full typing were announced.
In the future artwork should be created after the stats and typing are finalised, so they are actually relevant to each other, the marionette which looks set to win doesn't look close to ghost/fighting or like it has good defences.

Please can we drop those which obviously do not fit? Even Syclant, while looking awesome, was pushing the Pokemon art style to the limits, and most of these Ghosts go too far. They either don't fit with the Pokemon style, have weapons, which no other Pokemon has, or generally wouldn't look right.

I'd drop the marionette and maybe Doug's. If his is accepted, it will definately have to be redone. Not majorly, though. Look at Machamp: you'd say it's humanshape, but if you look close enough it's actually some sort of mutant lizard. An underlying theme like that can really make it look less human.

meh. i don't think we can start dropping pokemon based on a few people's opnions. I think the next pokemon made should be gone about in a better way.

No Art thread till stats,typing, and movepool are finalised. I would like to volunteer to run the next one.

I have to agree that huge, human made weapons are a big no-no. So the viking is in need of a redo.

The mummy is alright, it's just a bit too generic for ghost/fight.

The multicolored Munak has too many claws and pointy bits, it looks like a weird one-fingered dragon. I do LOVE the idea of a monk-ish fighter though.

The helmet wearing ghostie with the manacles looks promising, it screams "I need a pre-evo" though.

Doug is a fantastic artist, and has a great idea. Putting it into sprites would probably get rid of the ornate tribal it is wearing, but I think that would work a bit better anyway.

Poe Poe is Poe. But seriously, that is a grass ghost, he just tossed the Poe lamp for some corn.

Marionette is pretty cool, just a bit over-detailed, I don't think he fits the ghost/fighting theme like the genie or monk do.

Fencer should be steel/ghost, sure it's called a swordFIGHT - but he's made of steel. Give him cross chop and that fills what you want with him.

Boxer ghost is fantastic, just make him beefier and a bit simplified - he should fill his faceguard IMO.

The last one is a rayman and dusknoir offspring, VERY bongo bongo. I don't feel the art quality is up to the other entries either.

Sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but it is exactly what I'm thinking - If I could pick any of them, I'd go for the faceguard ghostie. If I could pick any of the oldies too, I'd go for the nunchuk-guy.

Wow, I love a lot of the art here, so lets just run down compareing with the stats.

90 HP / 105 Attack / 90 Defense / 65 Sp. Attack / 110 Sp. Defense / 65 Speed

Slightly above average for HP, good defenses great on the special side, slow.

Art #1 Rocko The Taco
Undead Viking, you gotta admit, it looks pretty awesome, but it does not look like a Pokemon to me. The stats however, fit the piece, so thus far, it should be considered.

Art #2 KOA
The mummy. Slow, lumbering awesome. I cant see it being a fighting type. It does look good stat wise, mummies should be more resistant to magic//special attacks, but its not a ghost fighter. It looks more like a ghost ground to me, for sake of sand and such. I have to exclude it from the race.

Art #3 Tea&Blues
Shao Lin ghost. I love it. Looks prefect. Defiantly in the running.

Art #4 KOA
Another undead Viking, cept this looks more Pokemon ish to me. I like it, but it doesn't have the same style points as the mummy did (art wise). I don't really like it, so its out.

Art #5 Doug.
Holy tap danceing jesus christ. This by far wins the awesome award of the day. 1) Fits the stats. 2) Great skills on the art side. 3) Has tons of flavor and yet maintains the typing of ghost fighting 4) looks kinda Pokemon ish. The only thing it suffers in, is looking like a pokemon, but that would be fixed later on. Unless my mind goes another direction, my vote is for #5.

Art #6 Sanglunaria
Unlike the other pieces, this looks like a Pokemon to me. Not just since it has a murkrow in the picture (that really helps) it honestly looks like it should be a poke. Great flavor, decent staying true to the typeing, the stats? Eh, I can grey line that. Defiantly one of my favorites.

Art #7 KOA
Much like the one above, it looks like a Pokemon, some of the others, don't. However, I don't think it fits with the flavor, stats, or any of the other things we are going for here. That isn't to say that I don't like it, KOA just feels like he has shot all the way around the mark, above and below, and this is the closest to the bullseye. But it still feels like a miss. A Bannete evolution? That could be fun, and this could be it.

Art #8 Tea&Blues
I see that much armor, I want it to be steel. The other problem I have with this, is that your going with the fencer approach, fine for sake of fighting pokes, but I think it needs a bit more speed if you are going that way. Gallade is the poke that comes to mind, as being a “Sword fighter” and he has a respectable 80 bp, and fencers, are fast like a freak. I don't see it as appropriate for this poke, but I do like it. Ghost Steel Fencer, and it does look like a pokemon, when some of the others just look like an awesome drawing?

Art #9 Tea&Blues
Aww, aint that cute. Seems like the poke we are looking for is final form or a two part poke, and that looks like the baby form of a potential winner. Not it either.

Art #10 Cooper
Looks like the second stage of the previous poke, ala Mexican wrestler style. I don't really like it, but lets see, stats yea, it works, style, looks like a poke and fits the typing. I guess I just don't dig the art. Could be a winner.

1,2,3,5,6,10 are the best here. 3,5,6 are by far my favorites....3 feels right, 5 is the best art, and 6....I just love the concept. I am going to have to go with 6 for idealizing the concept, but 3 5 6 are by far, the best of the ten.

I've said this a bajiliion times: THE AXE IS HIS OTHER FOREARM BONE!

Doug's is getting a lot of votes. I'm simply outta here. Adios, folks.

I'm going to be anal-retentive and point out that Gallade's arms are in fact based on Tonfas.

Also, you get more than one vote.
Yea....but the game text referring to gallade as a swordsman "
The Blade Pokémon. A master of courtesy and swordsmanship, it fights using extending swords on its elbows." However yes, it is kind of obvious of the design biased on Tonfas.

I tend to get excited when I see some sprites, so I'm looking forward to that too.

If you guys don't like the art, why didn't you submit your own? Honestly. shut up about them not being Pokemon. Giratina isn't a Pokemon. It is too detailed and evil. OOHHH! I just criticized Sugimori for not making the same style of art after ten years. Honestly, shut up with the "it's not a Pokemon" garbage. And for weapons, look at Blastoise, he has guns.

anyways, I have come to the realization that I like the Kana pokemon the best. Doug reminds me way too much of Machamp. It's almost like Machamp died and lost 4 limbs. And the marionette which is not a Banette evo is still amazing, but it seems to rigid. The Kana pokemon allows us to really flex our creativity since only Hitmonlee and Medicham have a focus on legs, while thousand of Pokemon use their arms.

Edit: new poll time.

hey guys is it a little too late to post my art...

anyways, here's my sketch that you might want to consider:

I'm sorry if my post is unnecessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)