1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Premier League - Introduction

Discussion in 'Smogon Premier League' started by Shiv, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lockeness

Lockeness (e^(i╥))+1=0

Cool-no april fools. I could be a really good cheap player or sub. I am a great pokemon player (crosses fingers ,toes, and prays to the gods of hax). Seriously, I would be a real good player for DPPt OU. It all comes down to whether I have enough time to play. Anyways this is an awesome idea. I may even check out netbattle to test my skillz. This could be a blast.
  2. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

The GSC rules better be omitting two particularly scrubby rules that frequently get mentioned:

No HP Legends rule.
    No sleep-trapping AKA Misdreavus ban.

also why are there eight matches between team, it'd be a lot easier if there were seven or nine for tiebreaking-ness
  3. Lord Liam

Lord Liam

RBY and ADV are my very strong metagames and I can't wait for this. Also I'm worth more than Scarface.
  4. B-Lulz

B-Lulz You ain't gotta love it 'cos the hood gone love it
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This looks like a great idea for a tournament, will definately join!
  5. Lockeness

Lockeness (e^(i╥))+1=0

I have a couple questions though- if you sign up and no one bids for you can you still be a sub? Also, what happens if someone bids 100,000 for one person- how do they then have a ten man team?
  6. Reverb

Reverb if you use BP, you have no skill, and I hate you
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

good idea
  7. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I'm concerned about points passing from season to season, couldn't a team just botch the first couple seasons and then absolutely dominate later?
  8. Gaborik

Gaborik

Great idea

Lockeness, they won't bid 100,000 for a single person obviously
  9. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

No, you cant. And they wont bid that much for a single person, the managers we pick won't be that stupid.

Well yeah, definitely. But since this is a once-a-year thing, do you really think someone has the patience to waste 2 years just so they can win it the third year?
  10. Smurf.

Smurf.
    is a Past SPL Winner

Wow this sounds great, definitely interested.
  11. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Could a salary cap be implemented at somewhere quite a bit above the starting points just incase though?
  12. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Sure, we could cap it at 73,000. That means they have enough money to bid 3,000 on 9 more players.
  13. Thorns

Thorns

it is i, king of advance hyper offense
  14. snorlax

snorlax

sounds like a great idea, but a few things are confusing. how do you decide who the 100 battlers who get to be are on the 10 teams of 10, if more than 100 people are bid on?

also, is there a difference between DP OU 1-3? like garchomp is allowed in #1, and latias is only allowed in #3?
  15. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless

yes, i'm sure we'll see atleast 200 signups.

and there's no difference.
  16. Slyguy46

Slyguy46

Question: If a player isn't bought in the auction, but a team still has room, can unbought players free-agent to that team?
  17. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

No, you gotta pay to have someone play (as unfortunate as that is). Also, no team will still have spots open but be out of credits because you have to field a whole team...
  18. Lockeness

Lockeness (e^(i╥))+1=0

A salary cap sounds good. I did wonder about that though.
  19. Seafunks

Seafunks

This idea is amazing =)
  20. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

There's no need for a salary cap. A team can't play in the tournament with less than 10 people. You can't spend less than 3000 credits per person. There is already a pseudo-salary cap of 73,000 credits.
  21. SevveN

SevveN

sorta lost interest in shoddy/competitive pokemons for a bit, this sounds like just the thing to get me going again
  22. yondie

yondie mitt game strong
    is a Past WCoP Winner

this does look really cant wait to watch/participate. :)!
  23. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up

I don't understand how the lowest amount you can spend affects the highest amount you can spend?
  24. Sapientia

Sapientia I know you love the players - and I love the game
    is a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

You need at least 10 player. so if you buy 9 pleaser for 3000 credits you spent 27000. So there are 73000 credits left for your last player. If you spend > 73000 for one player you can't buy enough players to get a whole team
  25. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up

Not if the season before you only spent 3000 for all 10 of your players.

What I was suggesting was a total salary cap for a team, like a team can only in total pay 150,000 each season or something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)